WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the assumption that he had lost weight was based on too large pants and a belt that had been used at larger spaces than he was wearing them on. There was a possibility of Russell’s sign on one hand which may indicate bulimia or possibly just a scrape in the process of healing. There were no notes stretch marks or loose skin that would indicate a fast weight loss. As a person contemporary in age to Lyle, nearly every guy I knew at that time wore pants several sizes too big. My husband in particular has a belt that was his granddad’s that he was given when he passed and it is worn on many of the holes because his granddad had had cancer and lost a lot of weight. I personally don’t think Lyle lost 40-60lbs in a short span of time because there would be very obvious physical indicators on his body not just ill fitting clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I've always thought about his outfit as well. The description is exactly what was popular at the time. Even I as a female owned a pair of Timberland boots.
I also think that if he was able to afford to travel as much as he did, and afford Timberlands; if wearing "proper" fitting pants were important to him he would have purchased a pair.

Given the possibility that Lyle Stevik was Canadian, has anyone ever looked at missing persons cases from Canada? It might be a long shot, but I think there's a possibility a match could be found. Let me know what you think.

Given the possibility that Lyle Stevik was Canadian, has anyone ever looked at missing persons cases from Canada? It might be a long shot, but I think there's a possibility a match could be found. Let me know what you think.
I've been pushing Shawn Steven Jones for a while. He went missing in 1993 from Ontario when he was 14 years old and would be in Lyle's age range in 2001. I was thinking maybe that's why he hasn't been identified, if he went missing earlier than expected. Recent isotopes contradict my theory though, suggesting Lyle spent his childhood pretty much everywhere in the US.

The questions that would follow if Lyle is Shawn are:
1) How did he survive on his own for many years. Especially as a teenager.
2) Where is his cousin Leslie?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/593dmon.html

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

IIRC the assumption that he had lost weight was based on too large pants and a belt that had been used at larger spaces than he was wearing them on. There was a possibility of Russell’s sign on one hand which may indicate bulimia or possibly just a scrape in the process of healing. There were no notes stretch marks or loose skin that would indicate a fast weight loss. As a person contemporary in age to Lyle, nearly every guy I knew at that time wore pants several sizes too big. My husband in particular has a belt that was his granddad’s that he was given when he passed and it is worn on many of the holes because his granddad had had cancer and lost a lot of weight. I personally don’t think Lyle lost 40-60lbs in a short span of time because there would be very obvious physical indicators on his body not just ill fitting clothing.

Lyle had stretch marks. They said they thought he recently lost weight because of the belt, pants and stretch marks

Off course and posted eventually possible matches up this thread...they are working on the missing persons site for quit a while know and adding missing persons files that come from dusty desks all over Canada...maybe that will bring up the one...

Lyle had stretch marks. They said they thought he recently lost weight because of the belt, pants and stretch marks

Can you provide proof of him having stretch marks? I don't recall reading that in any document, ever.

From Lane Youmans the original investigator
ae9cd8f5e1aa5707a3f1f3154d95819e.jpg

Can you provide proof of him having stretch marks? I don't recall reading that in any document, ever.

I don't recall that either.
I know they knew he had lost weight because his belt had been adjusted to fit someone who was skinny.

IMO

The thing with searching missing Canadian websites, is that they aren't as comprehensive as the US websites. A lot of people are never entered.

I don't recall that either.
I know they knew he had lost weight because his belt had been adjusted to fit someone who was skinny.

IMO

That's incorrect. They only guessed that he may have lost weight because of the loose notches on his belt.

I've toyed with the clothes/belt issue. They were too big for him it seems. Did he maybe steal them from a YMCA? Did he get them from a church? Just thoughts. Maybe he was traveling "light' after having to leave somewhere quickly and it was the best he could come up with. Who knows?! I've not necessarily held to the belief be here lost weight...And this type of mystery keeps me coming back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I personally don't see much of a resemblance between Lyle and Shawn Steven Jones, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I've been looking at Canadian missing persons databases, and found a few that could be Lyle, but I can't be sure.

I also think that maybe Lyle isn't listed anywhere as a missing person. It's very possible that his family never reported him missing, for whatever reason, and don't even know he's dead. It would explain why they never found a match. Still, it's a well-known case, so why hasn't anyone connected the dots? That's the part of this case that really confuses me.

I personally don't see much of a resemblance between Lyle and Shawn Steven Jones, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I've been looking at Canadian missing persons databases, and found a few that could be Lyle, but I can't be sure.

I also think that maybe Lyle isn't listed anywhere as a missing person. It's very possible that his family never reported him missing, for whatever reason, and don't even know he's dead. It would explain why they never found a match. Still, it's a well-known case, so why hasn't anyone connected the dots? That's the part of this case that really confuses me.

Even if his immediate family were deceased or possibly overseas (?) he wasn’t a ghost, he had to have been in contact with other people. I’m still dumbfounded that no one has come forward in so many of the Doe cases that were found relatively quickly after death. Especially with viral everything these days.

Even if his immediate family were deceased or possibly overseas (?) he wasn’t a ghost, he had to have been in contact with other people. I’m still dumbfounded that no one has come forward in so many of the Doe cases that were found relatively quickly after death. Especially with viral everything these days

Maybe everything today is viral, but you can't apply that standard to cases prior to social media, including this case.

Maybe everything today is viral, but you can't apply that standard to cases prior to social media, including this case.

That's for sure. The net was a totally different place. There was my space where people used a user name. Using real names online is only recent. I've been on FB since about 08; it was not popular at 1st due to having to use real names.

That's for sure. The net was a totally different place. There was my space where people used a user name. Using real names online is only recent. I've been on FB since about 08; it was not popular at 1st due to having to use real names.
Yeah, in the late 2000's that is when everyone lost their privacy. I remember having a MySpace but I had more bands as friends then actual people. When I moved over to facebook I realized the hard way that FB was an unfortunate showcase to the world whatever you were going through. I was a teenager. The world knew when you just broke up in a relationship and people could even like the "this person is single status". My uncle even fussed me out on there once for using a curse word when I was 16. It's just embarrassing. I haven't had a FB in almost 5 years and couldn't be happier.

We often forget that prior to the 2000's social media boom people were more private about their life's.

As for people with, let's say a high school friend, who they are trying to reconnect with, it is very resourceful. With it we were able to identify Tammy Alexander and Jimmy Reymer.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

No, I was really just meaning that over the last few years there have been so many cold case UIDs spread far and wide via blogs, SM and podcasts and some identified this way that it’s so surprising to me when absolutely no one steps up and says “This guy looks like someone I went to school with” or “this woman looks like a lady who used to stop by my corner store” or whatever.

No, I was really just meaning that over the last few years there have been so many cold case UIDs spread far and wide via blogs, SM and podcasts and some identified this way that it’s so surprising to me when absolutely no one steps up and says “This guy looks like someone I went to school with” or “this woman looks like a lady who used to stop by my corner store” or whatever.

One thing to keep in mind, especially with these historic cases, is that their friends and families are probably some of the least likely to use a computer or social media, or they may have passed away. Or, it may just take a while, like in the case of Reet Jurvetson. Her family thought she was just living her life, which I think is the case for some of these old missing persons cases. She was never reported missing. Then a family friend stumbled across her PM photo and called Reet's sister.

One thing to keep in mind, especially with these historic cases, is that their friends and families are probably some of the least likely to use a computer or social media, or they may have passed away. Or, it may just take a while, like in the case of Reet Jurvetson. Her family thought she was just living her life, which I think is the case for some of these old missing persons cases. She was never reported missing. Then a family friend stumbled across her PM photo and called Reet's sister.

Honestly, maybe his parents have passed or aren’t super active on social media but it was only 17 years ago. I’m 36 and both of my grandmothers (born in 1938) were even online by 2001. His clothes suggest an age cohort near to mine (my husband STILL wears his jeans 2-3sizes too big on his off time) and nearly everyone I know from people I know through my parent’s generation is online. The ones who aren’t make a conscious decision not to be but the few I know still check out FB, surf, whatever on their spouse’s or business devices without having their own accounts. One of my dearest FB friends is a 70 year old nun in rural Kentucky. It really makes me wonder if he was in a secluded community without much outside interaction.

ETA - and still doesn’t have much outside interaction.

It varies widely; my brother barely knows how to use his flip phone and he's two years younger than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme