We DO have Coyotes in Fla!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can't say about Florida, but I live in Broken Arrow, OK (Tulsa), about a mile north of the Arkansas River. I live in a neighborhood, not in the country. At night you can hear the little ones yip and the adults howl down by the river. They have also been seen in the neighborhoods. It's because we're encroaching into their habitat, IMO.

Wild animals show up just about anywhere you find good vittles that humans so plentifully supply and nature provides.

My mother lives near the beach in a very long established and densely populated area in Los Angeles County next to Orange County, yet there are still wild animals abounding. Opossum, raccoon, skunk, hawks, coyotes, owls and such that were not there when I was child. Was I ever surprised to see masses of deer and fox right outside of the NYC area.

The witness wasn't exactly slick but she is correct, anything interested in chewing a bone might be big enough to try and keep safe from other predators by burying it.

Hi,

I was raised in Fla. I have seen Coyotes here all of my life. It is a known fact among those that live here.. I have no clue why this false info is being repeated time and time again from the talking heads tonight.

Imo I think the witness was totally off the wall in most of her testiomony. And yet, even she made it clear that she wasn't certain if Coyotes were here. Yet, all the "experts", including the SA, claimed there wasn't any coyotes in Fla.

I have seen them live and I have seen them dead on the road. There ARE coyotes in Fla.

Take care, Robin:banghead:

I saw your thread and had to chime in that I have seen several coyotes around the Charleston, SC area so I'm glad that I saw your post. I was also surprised that these attorneys did not check this out prior to dismissing the idea.

I was also surprised that these attorneys did not check this out prior to dismissing the idea.

I think Ashton just made an ad-lib, off-the-cuff response that he felt didn't require any factual research. Sort of like "well everybody knows we don't have coyotes here in Orlando."

Unfortunately, I think his quick comment may reveal that his sense of confidence in the case can sometimes reveal itself as condescension and ivory tower superiority. It was like, "Lady, you are not only nutso about the botanical evidence, but you are also nutso enough to think we have coyotes here." Foot into mouth for that one.

Putting that aside, I am curious about what animal(s) may have chewed on the bones. We keep hearing "carnivore" and "predator" but nothing specific. I saw pictures of the bones and the animal damage. It's common for rodents to chew on bones and they leave telltale tooth marks. These bones don't show that kind of chewing. It looks like bone cracking which does come from certain larger mammals which aren't rodents. My guess is that it would be dog, coyote or possibly (less likely) raccoon, opossum or mink.

Concerning the one bone found under 4 inches of material; this could have been buried by an animal but in a different way than has been suggested. Rather than having intent to bury the bone, an animal could have been digging close to the bone in a way that would cover the bone with the material ejected from the digging.

Frankly, I just don't get it. It's really not very important one way or the other. Yes, a coyote could have buried the bone :wink:. Or a squirrel. Or a possum (I'm assuming you have them there), or a raccoon (again, assuming). So what? What difference does it make one way or the other? Even if it were true, it would hardly negate the findings of the CSI unit that collected the remains and the reports as to length of time the body was present. Just not an issue.

:cow:

BBM. My thoughts, exactly. So some people think that there aren't coyotes in Florida. So what? Does it really matter?

That intrigued me, because we do have coyotes here in Mira Mesa. I just thought, hmmm...no coyotes in Florida. Okay (JA said it so it must be true). Now I'm hearing otherwise.

He said "no, we're not blessed to have Coyotes in Florida", laughed, and said no further questions.

So is he lying? Will the jury pick up on that? Why would he lie? Or does he really believe there are no coyotes in FL.

MOO

Mel

Interesting question, Melanie, that only JA can really answer. But I choose to think that he probably really didn't think there was a likelihood of there being coyotes near Hopespring Drive. I don't think he lied but definitely tried to take advantage of the moment. The opening she gave him was just too great for him to resist. moo

I don't think its a big deal if JA said they are not blessed with Coyotes... This jury is from Florida and they know if they have them or not. I don't even take what he said to mean they really don't have them, Coyotes never cross state lines from adjoining states..

I just took it to mean more or less "are you kidding me Angela Landsbury? I mean Ms. Bock?"

Zenaida-Fernandez Gonzales
George Anthony
Roy Kronk
Vasco Thompson
and now we can add Wile E. Coyote to the list of everybody (besides ICA herself) who are to blame for what happened to Caylee.

Wondering if the coyotes are also responsible for wrapping all those vines around the skull & in & out of the eye sockets too.

I agree with sleuth5.......its just not an issue. Even if the hip bone was buried by some animal, there's plenty of proof on the rest of the remains to prove how long it was there.

That botanist reminded me of an actress & I can't think of her name or even any movies she was in to find out her name.....its driving me crazy!!!!!

Wondering if the coyotes are also responsible for wrapping all those vines around the skull & in & out of the eye sockets too.

I agree with sleuth5.......its just not an issue. Even if the hip bone was buried by some animal, there's plenty of proof on the rest of the remains to prove how long it was there.

That botanist reminded me of an actress & I can't think of her name or even any movies she was in to find out her name.....its driving me crazy!!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v94ugLhua9Y"]YouTube - ‪"Murder, She Wrote" opening theme (1984—1996)‬‏[/ame]

:fence:

LOL Sabrina11! No its not Angela Lansbury. Although I do see a lot of resemblance there too. I'm thinking this lady played an abusive mother in a movie (ironic huh) thought maybe Sybil, but looked it up & that was not her.

OH i think i know who you are talking about and I can't think of it either LOL

I agree with the commenters who mentioned that it would be more likely for a canine to bury a bone away from where it was found. In the little bit of online research I've done during my lunch hour, it would seem more likely that a coyote would dig to find prey as opposed to bury an exposed skeleton. The remnants of their catch (feather, fur, bones) are usually found scattered around the outside of their den. And unlike wild dogs that don't completely devour their prey, coyotes consume almost everything. To quote one blogger "Coyotes are not wasteful." They even consume smaller animals/rodents such as voles, gophers, and squirrels whole. I'm not finding any credibility for the suggestion that a coyote (or a dog for that matter) buried the one bone near the rest of the skeleton. And I completely understand JA's reaction to Dr. Bock's testimony as I too had to stifle a laugh. It was a rather ridiculous comment IMO.

That intrigued me, because we do have coyotes here in Mira Mesa. I just thought, hmmm...no coyotes in Florida. Okay (JA said it so it must be true). Now I'm hearing otherwise.

He said "no, we're not blessed to have Coyotes in Florida", laughed, and said no further questions.

So is he lying? Will the jury pick up on that? Why would he lie? Or does he really believe there are no coyotes in FL.

MOO

Mel
shaking my head

BBM. My thoughts, exactly. So some people think that there aren't coyotes in Florida. So what? Does it really matter?
IMO it was more of he laughed ( as if he was making fun of the Witness)then if there is Coyotes imo. The Jury not like that much. imo

IMO yes it is. When any attorney ( on either side) laughes and says something thats untrue THAT IS important and makes them look cocky and unprofessional IMO

I disagree. I don't think Bock's coyote remark is relevant. And neither is whether JA is an expert on animals that inhabit Florida. This is all a silly distraction brought about by Bock's silly suggestion that, as a botanist, she had no business injecting into her testimony. MOO, JMHO, OMO, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back