Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,

We have looked forward to this day for a long time.

We just delivered a brand new bouncing software platform with all kinds of cool things we could only dream about before.

Please do not get scared. Almost everything is the same and those things that have changed have changed for the better.

The first thing you should try is our new way of sending Private Messages. PM's are now called "Conversations". You can invite up to 5 other people (with you equals 6 people on a conversation) and the conversation looks exactly like a thread on a public forum. However, it is not public, no one in management can see it, and the only people who can read the conversation are those who are actually participating.

One of the biggest changes is going to be how we handle putting members on timeout.

Your timeouts are all done by a point system. This will take away any guesswork.

You are allowed up to 5 points in a 30 day period before you are timed out. The time out length depends on the amount of points you end up. Say you have 4 points and you do something really horrible like call someone stupid. Calling someone stupid could be worth 4 points. Now all of a sudden you have 8 points and that means you get a 5 day time out.

Please do not hold me to these exact numbers. I'm trying to remember and to be honest, my memory sucks more than a sucker fish in a sucking contest.

You will get warnings and your warning is assigned a point value. Let's say being snarky is two points. Those two points will stay on your user name for 30 days then the points drop off.

No one should be getting any points right?

Please remember if you get 5 points or more in 30 days then you are timed out for three days. As the points against you go up so does the time you spend I timeout.
You can solve the problem of being timed out by behaving and reading our Terms of Service.

There is more to tell you and I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.

We ask for your patience as we are all on a learning curve here.

Finally, thanks to Dave our IT guy for doing such a good job and making sure everything ran smoothly and he was able to get us up and running 24 hours earlier than expected.

OK fire awa y my true crime angels.

Looks like the Korean spam is now gone as are the newest spammers with the gobbledygook user names.

Thanks to all Admin for their hard work!

Thank you for the alerts.

This is like splashing cold water on my face at 5:00 AM. LOL

All handled for the moment.

Each time this happens we are able to make an adjustment to make it harder for the spammers to bypass our registration system. Hopefully, we got them this time.

If someone is going to spam us I wish they would at least make it interesting. Again, all I saw were posts about computer schools (I think) and that's just insultingly boring. Is "insultingly" a word? If not it is now.

I do have a few updates for you which I will be posting later.

Thanks, everyone.
Tricia

Please Everyone,

Stay on topic. This thread is hard enough for me to follow so I can understand the issues posters are with the switch to the new software.

Thank you very much.

Triica

Tricia can you be specific on staying on topic or maybe categorize the various issues with the new software?

Thank you

When we start a new thread - I see we've just passed 1000 posts - it would help very much if an overview were first given of problems encountered, and, along with it, a compilation of solutions applied and problems thus solved.

(I realize it's easy to say and hard to compile!)

That way, this invaluable thread could start with a clean slate, and readers could then learn what comes next, and how it's going. Like life, we always work toward perfection and hope to come reasonably close to it. And it's nice to have a scorecard.

When we start a new thread - I see we've just passed 1000 posts - it would help very much if an overview were first given of problems encountered, and, along with it, a compilation of solutions applied and problems thus solved.

That way, this invaluable thread could start with a clean slate, and readers could then learn what comes next, and how it's going. Like life, we always work toward perfection and hope to come reasonably close to it. And it's nice to have a scorecard.

Agree. That’s why I asked Tricia to regroup on specifics. In an effort to hold off on what’s not at the top of her list of problem solving.

This is a great idea. If there is any way I can find the time to put this together I will but I cannot make any promises.

Agree. That’s why I asked Tricia to regroup on specifics. In an effort to hold off on what’s not at the top of her list of problem solving.
That is a great idea. Again, I will do my best to get to this tomorrow. Both of these ideas are fantastic.

I will be posting the updates either tomorrow or Tuesday. Depending on what I can get done.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience. I appreciate your good nature and cooperation.

Take Care,
Tricia

Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,

We have looked forward to this day for a long time.

We just delivered a brand new bouncing software platform with all kinds of cool things we could only dream about before.

Please do not get scared. Almost everything is the same and those things that have changed have changed for the better.

The first thing you should try is our new way of sending Private Messages. PM's are now called "Conversations". You can invite up to 5 other people (with you equals 6 people on a conversation) and the conversation looks exactly like a thread on a public forum. However, it is not public, no one in management can see it, and the only people who can read the conversation are those who are actually participating.

One of the biggest changes is going to be how we handle putting members on timeout.

Your timeouts are all done by a point system. This will take away any guesswork.

You are allowed up to 5 points in a 30 day period before you are timed out. The time out length depends on the amount of points you end up. Say you have 4 points and you do something really horrible like call someone stupid. Calling someone stupid could be worth 4 points. Now all of a sudden you have 8 points and that means you get a 5 day time out.

Please do not hold me to these exact numbers. I'm trying to remember and to be honest, my memory sucks more than a sucker fish in a sucking contest.

You will get warnings and your warning is assigned a point value. Let's say being snarky is two points. Those two points will stay on your user name for 30 days then the points drop off.

No one should be getting any points right?

Please remember if you get 5 points or more in 30 days then you are timed out for three days. As the points against you go up so does the time you spend I timeout.
You can solve the problem of being timed out by behaving and reading our Terms of Service.

There is more to tell you and I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.

We ask for your patience as we are all on a learning curve here.

Finally, thanks to Dave our IT guy for doing such a good job and making sure everything ran smoothly and he was able to get us up and running 24 hours earlier than expected.

OK fire awa y my true crime angels.

Hi I'm new to websleuths,how do I private message an admin please

Can't locate a "help" button! Where do we report possible website problems?

Anyway, I only went back 40 pages (340-380) but there a multiple pages of identical, posts on most recent Caylee Anthony thread #3???

Thanks.

Last edited:

Anyway, I only went back 40 pages (340-380) but there a multiple pages of identical, posts on most recent Caylee Anthony thread #3???

Thanks.
Alert on any one of the duplicate posts and let a Mod know. To alert, click on "Report" in blue located at the bottom left of any post. (Next to the red name ant time of the poster)
HTH

Thanks.

Are you menaing the thread for "Light a Candle" for Caylee? Light a Candle by Your Computer Tonight #3

If so, check the dates ... I believe several posters often post the same or a similar version of the same statement.

Apology if I misunderstood

A couple of random things:

I know there is no longer a list of members on a particular thread, but could we possibly have the number of current members/guests? e.g. 10 members and 5 guests are on this thread.

How do I post without my signature showing? I used to be able to click this off (it's clunky and unnecessary when making multiple posts on a thread) but can't see how to do this now.

Thanking you!

A couple of random things:

I know there is no longer a list of members on a particular thread, but could we possibly have the number of current members/guests? e.g. 10 members and 5 guests are on this thread.

How do I post without my signature showing? I used to be able to click this off (it's clunky and unnecessary when making multiple posts on a thread) but can't see how to do this now.

Thanking you!

I don't know if this helps, but if you click your username at the far right of the top-row dark yellow line, (where is says user/inbox/alerts), you can select Signature and edit or delete it. I don't think we can just hold it to re-use, but I am not sure of that.

Just a heads up. I edited my signature and found it had to be much smaller than the previous software allowed.
Yes, we had to limit the space on signatures because so many signatures were too large and too distracting. If you are finding that the size we are allowing is not big enough we can revisit the size issue and perhaps add a bit more space.

The apostrophe problem that Hazelnutty was describing has been researched and a Xen Foro expert consulted about the problem as well.

It is most likely something to do in the user's settings.

Has anyone else experienced issues of freezing up or any other problems when posting apostrophes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member