Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Ana for great explanation. I have seen some discussions about it here previously but yours does help. I might tried to look into it in near future.

However it is not about me. It is about thousands and thousands members here who will not stumble to this thread or read this post about new privacy issue. So no, it is not really their choice. They might be just not aware or if aware just still having no idea how to do it. It would be much simpler to do it for whole software, whole site in one go. Simple basic restrictions for outsiders.

We’ve always been able to see who viewed who’s profile, even on the previous forum

If a member has blocked another, why is that other allowed to follow the member?

That's stalking.

I wasn't aware we could find out who has us on ignore. How do we do that?

Not people that have us on ignore, but people we have on ignore.

Example: Someone followed me and then afterwards I "blocked" them or added them to my ignore list. But even though I have unfollowed them and "blocked" them, they are still on my followers list... I feel as if they should be removed from my followers list if I block them.

I want to know the answer to this too! There is no way for me to stop that person from following me/remove them from my followers list.
Yeah, on the old platform we could deny requests. Is that not possible here? The thing is anyone you have on ignore won't know and will be able to read your posts. What difference does it make if they are following you? (Honestly just asking because I'm not sure I understand.) It's also possible to search posts by user so there's really no way afaik to keep someone from seeing your posts, only to keep you from seeing theirs. (Which you can still see if you click "show ignored content.")

Last edited:
If a member has blocked another, why is that other allowed to follow the member?

That's stalking.

I think you could alert the admin and request to have that user stop following you. I agree with your opinion.

That's stalking.

How so? The blockee doesn't know they've been blocked; they aren't notified or anything like that. I don't think this is particularly unique to WS.

If I block someone and they follow me, that's passive, right? Not harassing or threatening on its own. I block them, we don't interact, I don't see their content unless I decide to. I don't control the other poster in any way. I control what I see and interact with.

I'm not sure that following someone, in and of itself, rises to the legal or even the colloquial meaning of stalking. The forums are threaded — that's how users are able to read and understand them.

Is the person who is blocked able to private message the person who blocked them? (I don't know how it works in the new forum.) That might become a problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, on the old platform we could deny requests. Is that not possible here? The thing is anyone you have on ignore won't know and will be able to read your posts. What difference does it make if they are following you? (Honestly just asking because I'm not sure I understand.) It's also possible to search posts by user so there's really no way afaik to keep someone from seeing your posts, only to keep you from seeing theirs. (Which you can still see if you click "show ignored content.")

rbbm

Great point. We're participating in a public forum. ... I think this is part of the reason why @Tricia also doesn't delete entire profiles of former users, either.

Last edited:
How so? The blockee doesn't know they've been blocked; they aren't notified or anything like that. I don't think this is particularly unique to WS.

If I block someone and they follow me, that's passive, right? Not harassing or threatening on its own. I block them, we don't interact, I don't see their content unless I decide to. I don't control the other poster in any way. I control what I see and interact with.

I'm not sure that following someone, in and of itself, rises to the legal or even the colloquial meaning of stalking. The forums are threaded — that's how users are able to read and understand them.

Is the person who is blocked able to private message the person who blocked them? (I don't know how it works in the new forum.) That might become a problem.
Why is someone allowed to follow a member automatically, simply by filling in a user name, when the user desires that person not to be a follower, and in fact has unfollowed the person in question.

When one does not desire another's company and another insists upon his or her presence, that's a forum equivalent of stalking, especially when the forum itself provides the unwanted access.

Feeling like a Stalker now...:oops: that is why I now most of the times wait until someone wants to follow me until I follow this person. But for some I just hit the "follow" button. Should I have asked them before? Really don't want to be a stalker ...:confused:

Feeling like a Stalker now...:oops: that is why I now most of the times wait until someone wants to follow me until I follow this person. But for some I just hit the "follow" button. Should I have asked them before? Really don't want to be a stalker ...:confused:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not stalking to follow people on a public forum. All it means is you get notified when the person posts and you can read the posts or not. It's really no different from watching a thread and getting notified when there's a new post.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not stalking to follow people on a public forum. All it means is you get notified when the person posts and you can read the posts or not. It's really no different than watching a thread and getting notified when there's a new post.[/QUOTE

Thank you, I was worrying about that for a moment...:D:oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member