Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The apostrophe problem that Hazelnutty was describing has been researched and a Xen Foro expert consulted about the problem as well.

It is most likely something to do in the user's settings.

Has anyone else experienced issues of freezing up or any other problems when posting apostrophes?

Only when I go from Portuguese to Swahili and back to Norwegian.
Jk

The apostrophe problem that Hazelnutty was describing has been researched and a Xen Foro expert consulted about the problem as well.

It is most likely something to do in the user's settings.

Has anyone else experienced issues of freezing up or any other problems when posting apostrophes?
From what I can see, the apostrophe problem is on the old posts from old forum. I have not seen any recent posts with it.
Also, I am having no problems at all with the site, but I never use my phone (old eyes), I use a lap top. Are the problems mostly from phone users?

Got the 403 forbidden cloudfare message again today when attempting to access the site. The Harvey Weinstein thread was the only one that loaded. Restarted twice and seems okay now except for the continuing text lag problem.

Yes, we had to limit the space on signatures because so many signatures were too large and too distracting. If you are finding that the size we are allowing is not big enough we can revisit the size issue and perhaps add a bit more space.
I do not object to smaller signatures.
I'm a little big in the sig myself but I did cut it down.

Although it's a little like answering the "Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did you like the parade?" question, other than the problems now being worked on and worked out, I do really like the new WS format. Just takes a bit of getting used to, like anything.

Maybe add a report button to user profiles to alert on a spammer?

From what I can see, the apostrophe problem is on the old posts from old forum. I have not seen any recent posts with it.

I can confirm that apostrophe issue is only on the old posts which points that it was definitely transfer issue. I don't mind that some passages are unreadable however for example height (in inches) has appostrophes so all threads of Missing people where their height is stated are now unreadable.

I pm mods quite frequently by using report button to alert them to update thread titles to Identifed - xy name or Located Safe etc so they do not have to check or read every thread. Also to keep forum fresh and updated. I usually give one day or two before sometimes checking if it was done, if not, I try to pm again. In last week or so I noticed that some thread titles were not updated at all after my multiple alerts or updated with misspelled names or with capitalization issue. Sorry to blub about that, just thought I make you aware.

- Privacy - I was alarmed few days after swichover when I stumbled upon history and saw alert that guests were viewing members profiles. I also saw some member I never heard of managing his account and changing details. I have not logged in for over a week after that due to this. If it is possible do limit guest rights! We became members for reason and guests should not have access to certain information (member profiles or certain forums). If Dave would double check on that I would really appreciate it. Also not sure I am too keen on seeing strange members doing their private things in their account. (Of course not details but me being alerted in history that they are doing it). It might be great information for admins/mods but surely it should not be any of my or other members' business...

Other issues stated previously by others:

- Overheating of mobile and ipad devices (should be resolved by members adding ad b.locker). If that is possible to add on those devices that is. Dave probably still working on that on their end
- Capitalization of letters - some issue in thread titles due to automatic capitalization
- Search issue (updates not coming up since 25th of May) - not sure if it was resolved
- Delete button requested by majority of members - I understand that software comes in certain format so it might or might not have that button. If it would be somehow made though it would be brilliant
- New members - if possible please do restrict their ability to make new threads as it was in old software (of course if possible)

I am on laptop and after installing ad b.ocker I have no issues what so ever, apart of still learning to navigate in new software. Oh, I also added VPN to my browser to be able to read USA articles again (due to new EU restrictions) and now all is readable again.

Apologies for some of above being negative, but honestly just trying to help.
Happy 4th of July.

- Privacy - I was alarmed few days after swichover when I stumbled upon history and saw alert that guests were viewing members profiles. I also saw some member I never heard of managing his account and changing details. I have not logged in for over a week after that due to this. If it is possible do limit guest rights! We became members for reason and guests should not have access to certain information (member profiles or certain forums). If Dave would double check on that I would really appreciate it. Also not sure I am too keen on seeing strange members doing their private things in their account. (Of course not details but me being alerted in history that they are doing it). It might be great information for admins/mods but surely it should not be any of my or other members' business...

Ok... snipped.

You can go to the top and hover over your username and select "privacy". This will allow you to alter if people can see what you are viewing at that current time and also change other things such as who can view your profile... i.e. I have mine set to members only so guests are not able to see my page. It is up to the individual to change this, so, if you are seeing what other people are doing, that is their choice to allow you to see that. But, you can protect yourself by updating your privacy settings. No need to not sign in :)

Use the "upload a file" button (it's in between "post reply" and "more options"). I circled it in red on the attached screenshot. hth

Also, after you have upload the file - you can click on "Thumbnail" button and your picture will appear in the reply box, instead of just down on the bottom.

Al Ka said:
I am on laptop and after installing ad b.ocker I have no issues what so ever, apart of still learning to navigate in new software. Oh, I also added VPN to my browser to be able to read USA articles again (due to new EU restrictions) and now all is readable again.

Can you give me a link to the VPN you used? Was it free? I have the same problem with the new EU rules.... TIA!

Ok... snipped.

You can go to the top and hover over your username and select "privacy". This will allow you to alter if people can see what you are viewing at that current time and also change other things such as who can view your profile... i.e. I have mine set to members only so guests are not able to see my page. It is up to the individual to change this, so, if you are seeing what other people are doing, that is their choice to allow you to see that. But, you can protect yourself by updating your privacy settings. No need to not sign in :)

Thank you Ana for great explanation. I have seen some discussions about it here previously but yours does help. I might tried to look into it in near future.

However it is not about me. It is about thousands and thousands members here who will not stumble to this thread or read this post about new privacy issue. So no, it is not really their choice. They might be just not aware or if aware just still having no idea how to do it. It would be much simpler to do it for whole software, whole site in one go. Simple basic restrictions for outsiders.

Can you give me a link to the VPN you used? Was it free? I have the same problem with the new EU rules.... TIA!

Not sure which device you use. On laptop I just clicked in my browser on Add On or Extensions and there searched for VPN. You can choose from any what pop up. Do read which one you choose as they do have pros and cons and some are for other countries, not US. I did choose one of free ones and loving that all is readable again.

Also, after you have upload the file - you can click on "Thumbnail" button and your picture will appear in the reply box, instead of just down on the bottom.

My family in Bulgaria use Hola. It's a chrome extension :)

Does anyone know if I can do something to my iPhone to make the US articles show? It’s really frustrating not being able to read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dibbledabble