Welcome To Websleuths # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's strange is that there has been no response to this question about the quick list on the side that is no longer available. So we are left to speculate.

My first thought was that it had something to do with the crashing, and/or the foreign spam that has been seen. So I assumed they removed it while those issues were resolved. But the lack of response to inquiries has led me to wonder whether it's gone in an attempt to drive more clicks/page loads? If I can't use that list on the side, I have to find recent threads by clicking through various forums and searching that way. So instead of one click, I would now have to click several more times to find new threads, etc. So, it's disappearance might be driving clicks (for ad income). That does't work for me, because now I just leave the site when I've checked the threads I'm following. But I'm sure others who are more site-savvy do keep looking/clicking. If this is true, my post will likely disappear. If not, hopefully, my wildly negative speculation will be poo-pooed by admins and we will get an explanation. :)

Hi angelainwi - since you didn't quote a post I'm not sure which issue you are referring to - can you clarify?

Thanks
Whiskers

I am unsure how to quote myself and reply here. But the question and my replies are all on this page #15.

First post: "I noticed that the new threads/recent posts area is gone from the sidebar. I noticed it yesterday when the Jayme thread was drawing in lots of traffic. I figured it was taken down to allow for the site to run smoother. I notice that it is still gone this morning. Will it be going back up? Please, I hope."

Second post: "Bumping, hoping to get an answer. I am trying to be patient. As I have stated in past Welcome threads this is the feature of Websleuths that I use to the most to keep up."

Third post: Hoping to please get an answer on the above.

What's strange is that there has been no response to this question about the quick list on the side that is no longer available. So we are left to speculate.

My first thought was that it had something to do with the crashing, and/or the foreign spam that has been seen. So I assumed they removed it while those issues were resolved. But the lack of response to inquiries has led me to wonder whether it's gone in an attempt to drive more clicks/page loads? If I can't use that list on the side, I have to find recent threads by clicking through various forums and searching that way. So instead of one click, I would now have to click several more times to find new threads, etc. So, it's disappearance might be driving clicks (for ad income). That does't work for me, because now I just leave the site when I've checked the threads I'm following. But I'm sure others who are more site-savvy do keep looking/clicking. If this is true, my post will likely disappear. If not, hopefully, my wildly negative speculation will be poo-pooed by admins and we will get an explanation. :)

Why would it be a bad thing for the owner of the forum to want more clicks and ad revenue?

Why would it be a bad thing for the owner of the forum to want more clicks and ad revenue?
I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all, but they aren’t answering the oft-repeated question. If the reason is for ad revenue and they won’t reply, that is what I find negative, IMO.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all, but they aren’t answering the oft-repeated question. If the reason is for ad revenue and they won’t reply, that is what I find negative, IMO.

It was not for ad revenue. The test was for it’s impact on speed. I caught someone for an answer. I’m not a mod so JMO.

I'm pretty sure it is up to 20 participants. I'll see if I can find anything to back that up.

ETA: Yep, found a post from Tricia that states, "I would encourage you to take this to what we call a "Conversation". It works just like a private message except you can invite up to 20 people to your conversation."

what I have always wanted..

Yes Chi-mama is correct. When we have an issue with the forum kicking people off or slowing down a great deal the first thing we do is remove the sidebar because that could be what is slowing the forum down. We will leave the sidebar off until further notice. The sidebar will be back sometime just not sure when.

It had nothing to do with ad revenue.

As far as not answering your questions I so sincerely apologize for taking so long and I will get to your questions as soon as I can. That may be a very long time. It doesn't help to keep pointing out how many times you have asked. It can be overwhelming trying to get to your answers at the end of a long day.

Remember, if we do technical things on the forum we may not explain why for reasons known to management only.

I am going to close this thread, try and get caught up on the questions, then you can send a message to me on the forum or an email. Please only ask questions that directly affect your posting abilities and not random questions that if answered will have not help you with posting.

Please do not start another thread with questions.
Thank you,
Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members