Wesley Hadsell Arrested 21-22 March 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burial does not automatically mean = Murder. Sometimes people hide bodies of OD or accident victims. Especially if they do not want to be blamed for negligence etc.

Burial does not automatically mean = Murder. Sometimes people hide bodies of OD or accident victims. Especially if they do not want to be blamed for negligence etc.

So someone could possibly be charged with the cover up but not the crime, am I getting that right? I've seen that happen where someone helped clean up a murder because they were afraid the murderer would kill them, too. In this case, it would seem whoever did the cover up did the crime (or knows who did). I wish they had found AJ's phone, but surely they have her phone records. We need LE to give us something. It seems to me, Jen (and others) know WH did it, Zach seems unsure. I feel bad for both of them, such a loss.

I think that's a good deduction Happyshoes. But, if she were buried, it seems that her Manner of death should be determined as murder. Did we ever hear the manner of death?

I think they haven't determined the manner of death because it could actually be between an accidental death or a homicide. Even though we know she did not place her body behind that house, they could still be trying to determine the facts surrounding her death - which we know they are still doing - therefore they might still not have enough information to prove it was a homicide. After all, wouldn't a drug overdose be classified as accidental?

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/medExam/documents/fam.pdf

I was hoping the forensic pathologist (or anthropologist) they brought in would be able to tell if she had any broken bones, blunt force trauma, etc. - or even if they could tell whether she had been injected or not. No word on any of that, either. Do we even know if she was clothed? I have thought she would be wearing whatever she wore th day she went missing. Another kind of wacky thought I had is (bear with me), that she went with WH and waited at the hotel for him to come back with the goods. Then maybe WH had to go to work after they did a little, and when he got back that afternoon, he discovered she had done a little more (or not) and it wasn't just coke like she thought it was supposed to be and it was too much for her? Proceed to blast me if this is out in left field. I guess I want to think it was an accident. I think it could be why WH texted to Jen things that didn't sound like AJ.

I was hoping the forensic pathologist (or anthropologist) they brought in would be able to tell if she had any broken bones, blunt force trauma, etc. - or even if they could tell whether she had been injected or not. No word on any of that, either. Do we even know if she was clothed? I have thought she would be wearing whatever she wore th day she went missing. Another kind of wacky thought I had is (bear with me), that she went with WH and waited at the hotel for him to come back with the goods. Then maybe WH had to go to work after they did a little, and when he got back that afternoon, he discovered she had done a little more (or not) and it wasn't just coke like she thought it was supposed to be and it was too much for her? Proceed to blast me if this is out in left field. I guess I want to think it was an accident. I think it could be why WH texted to Jen things that didn't sound like AJ.

BBM: I don't think at this point anything is out of left field at least not to us here following the case. To people that have inside info I'm sure lots of things we say make them shake their heads. Because there are a lot of things going around like that she possibly got into an argument with her mom or someone Sunday night. That she possibly left the house Sunday night. That she possibly was fighting/breaking up/broke up with boyfriend at that time. That contributes a lot to her state of mind at that time. Also, if she left a note for her family that Zach seems to think was in her own handwriting and that she might have sounded a bit down; why would she leave a note? Was she planning on leaving for the night or going out of town or just expressing her feelings that she might not be able to say out loud (it's easier to write on paper)? I think no matter how together someone, especially a teen, seems to have it together maybe they don't. It sounds like she might have had a lot of her world falling apart around her at that time with her parents separation, possibly a breakup with the boyfriend.

It also seems that everything that we were told or led to believe about the truck sighting and whether it was already there Monday and WH never dropped it off that morning and that maybe she never even left that house and came back actually just throws more confusion in the mix.

No official word on that, no.

I would not call that an accident--I'd call it manslaughter.

[Snipped & BBM]

Thank you, AZ (and Vail, too, for asking you to weigh-in). Your post really explained a lot, in language that is understood by laymen!

AZ, if you have time for one more question, could you share your wisdom on the following:

What does it take to "unseal" an affidavit that was sealed by a state court, so that it can be used as evidence in a federal action? [Either "voluntarily", because investigation had concluded, or "involuntarily", to "force" the unsealing of the affidavit for use in a case in federal court? How would this be done? Would the judge in the "sealing" court have to order it, or could the federal court "muscle up" (so to speak) on the state court, to force the unsealing, by federal judge's order?

[P.S. If I've made this as clear as mud, I apologize, so "skip" it! Thanks.]

Since the affidavit wouldn't be a document created by the state court, but just filed in the state court, the order sealing it wouldn't be binding in any way on a federal judge, although I assume whichever side asked for it to be sealed in state court would also ask for it to be sealed before any filing in federal court.

I'm not familiar with this case, and the "sealing" concept really has nothing to do with whether or not something can be used as evidence, so more detail might help.

ETA: If we're talking about the search warrant affidavit that has not yet been disclosed to the defense attorney, the problem there is not that the affidavit is"sealed" (which is probably is) but that the defense attorney hasn't been allowed to see it yet. Lots of court documents that are sealed are in the possession of both parties, and are sealed to prevent public disclosure.

I don't have time to research this, but aren't documents sealed from the public for only 30 days at the request of the prosecutor? When is WH's trial date? When does the prosecutor have to give discovery documents to the defense attorney? I should know this stuff; I've read enough books in my time - I just don't memorize as well as I used to. :)

I don't have time to research this, but aren't documents sealed from the public for only 30 days at the request of the prosecutor? When is WH's trial date? When does the prosecutor have to give discovery documents to the defense attorney? I should know this stuff; I've read enough books in my time - I just don't memorize as well as I used to. :)

US Attorney - Eastern District of Virginia Discovery Guide:
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao/pages/attachments/2015/04/01/vae_discovery_policy.pdf

ETA: 5. Standard Discovery Order
To facilitate the requests that trigger the production of Rule 16 discovery and to establish deadlines for the production or disclosure of certain other discovery by both parties, the Office, in consultation with the Office of the Federal Public Defender, has developed a standard discovery order. This agreed order may be found on the Office’s intranet site. It tracks the language of Rule 16 for purposes of making formal requests for reciprocal discovery under the rule and orders the government to produce Rule 16 discovery seven calendar days before trial. It also sets forth deadlines for the production or disclosure of expert notice (ten business days before trial or, by court order for good cause shown, a different time period), Jencks and Giglio materials (five calendar days before trial), and notice under Fed. R. Evid. 404(b) (seven calendar days before trial). Expert notice may be provided five business days before trial if the expert testimony is to be offered in response to a previously-noticed defense expert. Also, as noted above, while an AUSA may modify the standard discovery order to provide for the earlier production of Jencks materials in exchange for concessions such as stipulations, advance supervisory approval is required for disclosure of such materials earlier than five business days before trial.

VA Supreme Court Rules of Court:
http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/scv/rulesofcourt.pdf

Page 41 is on Discovery and reads as follows:

Rule 3. Uniform Pretrial Scheduling Order (Rule 1:18B).

II. Discovery
The parties shall complete discovery, including depositions, by 30 days before trial; however, depositions taken in lieu of live testimony at trial will be permitted until 15 days before trial. "Complete" means that all interrogatories, requests for production, requests for admissions and other discovery must be served sufficiently in advance of trial to allow a timely response at least 30 days before trial. Depositions may be taken after the specified time period by agreement of counsel of record or for good cause shown, provided however, that the taking of a deposition after the deadline established herein shall not provide a basis for continuance of the trial date or the scheduling of motions inconsistent with the normal procedures of the court. The parties have a duty to seasonably supplement and amend discovery responses pursuant to Rule 4:1(e) of the Rules of Supreme Court of Virginia. Seasonably means as soon as practical. No provision of this Order supersedes the Rules of Supreme Court of Virginia governing discovery. Any discovery motion filed shall contain a certification that counsel has made a good faith effort to resolve the matters set forth in the motion with opposing counsel.

The Norfolk Circuit Court procedures are here (but it's not as clear on a time limit that I could determine):
http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/circuit/Norfolk/criminalcase.pdf

I don't know that she didn't have the truck all weekend. From my understanding, the truck is always parked at the house, but I don't know for sure. So it could have been during the weekend or earlier in that day. So I am not sure about 'Wes dropping off the truck', or where that information came from. I believe it was from the Chelsea Hoffman interview but I think that was misinterpreted. I would have to relisten. Not sure how Wes can drop off the truck alone, while driving the van regularly. And after talking to the guy who saw the white car parked at the house, I believe he may be incorrect about his dates as well. I would have to look at my notes but the position he described the truck and white car to be in could not have been from that day, as best as I could tell. The police have spoken with these witnesses and know the full scoop and from news reports, they still seem to think Wes is the guy.

Thank you, Zach. I think it was from that interview. I think all of us heard that Wes was dropping the truck to the house and leaving the keys in the mailbox on Monday morning because she had plans on Tuesday and was picking up his work truck. Just my thinking here (why would he drop off just keys and not the vehicle because I am sure Jennifer or even AJ had keys if she used it all the time before.) I'm not sure where the info came from but I believe the thinking was that Wes didn't park his work vehicle at the hotel but left it at the house and used the truck in between work. I think all of that info cam from Wes though. That's why things are so confusing because it seems what little info is out there - as we are finding out - can't be confirmed by anyone.

If WH was really taking a "long lunch" he would have already been in the work truck that morning and would not have been able to drop off the red truck because he would likely have been in Franklin, with the work truck. If he was really in the red truck then he never went to work that morning IMO. I presume a guilty conscience is probably the reason for the rambling about the keys and the focus on which key and where it was left. And IIRC, TGB may have mentioned the family weren't certain what became of the key, it there really was one.

Also, I tend to think that it may be more likely that WH heard the mentioning of the white car story and the discussion of the driveway parking arrangements and continued to try to spin that to his advantage, even if only to create confusion. But he was also sure to explain that "brother" DH's car was not the white car in question. IMO, if WH had made that story up on his own he wouldn't have included a white car only to have to explain it away in the next breath. I need to check the timeline to see if this mentioning occurred before or after the gas station "story" came about. Maybe WH jumped on the chance to not have to use his gas station meet up story (that wasn't) and obviously had to change it when the time/day the witness seen the white car couldn't be confirmed.

Also, on another note...I think there was never a "secondary phone" (burner phone) either. I think WH mentioned that in the Joe Fisher jail interview in order to discuss how he might have gotten a tip about the clothing on Battlefield Blvd. and not be able to explain to police where the tip came from. I suspect they were really just pinning him down on deleting the call log for that tip as we've now learned. If you had put your phone number out all over town asking for tips for a missing child you wanted to find would you not dare erase the call log from a tipster that you may want to reach for a follow up question. No you wouldn't. You would call the police immediately and tell them what you were told, tell them you were on your way there and give them all available info about the tip you received...including the number it came from!! Especially if the items indeed belonged to your missing child. Of course, that's unless there was no call from a tipster to lead you down your own damn trail of breadcrumb. :gaah:

#Justice4AJ

I don't think he went to work that Monday morning; I think he knew where his assignment was and didn't get in trouble until the people waiting on him and their appointment called his boss. Then he had to haul butt out there (after staring at AJ for 30 minutes). I personally think that he went to Jen's house in his red truck. He was supposed to leave the keys in the mailbox, but he went inside to talk to AJ. He picked up his work van, she drove the red truck to his hotel while he made a deal (or weighed what he had - who knows?). I think there must have been more in play about Jen & WH's relationship and she got in the middle somehow. I think WH did all the stuff (leaving clothes, debit card, the jacket) all to try to make himself look innocent so he could say the LE wasn't doing enough

But we don't know for sure if WH was working in Franklin that particular day because he was working in the Norfolk area that week I think because wasn't it later in the week when the debit card was found that he came home as soon as he got word and was in the local area?

Thank you, Zach. I think it was from that interview. I think all of us heard that Wes was dropping the truck to the house and leaving the keys in the mailbox on Monday morning because she had plans on Tuesday and was picking up his work truck. Just my thinking here (why would he drop off just keys and not the vehicle because I am sure Jennifer or even AJ had keys if she used it all the time before.) I'm not sure where the info came from but I believe the thinking was that Wes didn't park his work vehicle at the hotel but left it at the house and used the truck in between work. I think all of that info cam from Wes though. That's why things are so confusing because it seems what little info is out there - as we are finding out - can't be confirmed by anyone.

Agree. None of us knew they were separated until he stressed leaving the key in the mailbox and not going in the house.

So that plus the suppose gas station meet along with the secret EMOJI; immediately told me that this is the estranged husband who possibly abducted his estranged wife's daughter.

Jmo.

Sad article about a 16 year old Virginia girl from a very affluent area died from heroin overdose. She had NEVER used heroin before. She was a cheerleader and good student. Sad to see this is happening but just to say that it does happen people from all walks of life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-deadly-cocktail-heroin-antihistamines.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7e724a-8ab1-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html

http://wjla.com/news/local/emylee-lonczak-body-found-in-vienna-mclean-hs-students-grieve-93269

Sad article about a 16 year old Virginia girl from a very affluent area died from heroin overdose. She had NEVER used heroin before. She was a cheerleader and good student. Sad to see this is happening but just to say that it does happen people from all walks of life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-deadly-cocktail-heroin-antihistamines.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7e724a-8ab1-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html

http://wjla.com/news/local/emylee-lonczak-body-found-in-vienna-mclean-hs-students-grieve-93269

We had lived in Venice Beach Ca, for 20 years. The area is diverse but the schools had some issues with gangs. So we save and pinched pennies and moved to a very affluent suburb with very safe and high scoring schools. Unlike most of the families, we did not live in a mansion nor give our kids new BMWs on their 16th birthdays. But I was not prepared for the amount of oxy, xanax and heroin being used by the affluent student body. I was shocked. Venice beach had a lot of 'stoners' and kids who used ecstacy on the weekends. I went out of the frying pan and into the fire. Thank goodness neither of our kids got into hard drugs, thank you Lord. But my daughter had friends who have since OD'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70DaysofSilence