Wesley Hadsell Arrested 21-22 March 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking out loud and hopefully AZLawyer can weigh in. IF WH has a Plea Hearing scheduled, does that mean that (sorry dont mean to sound dumb) but does that mean a Plea has been offered and probably accepted by WH? It seems very clear (JMHO) that he had the gun at the range and they found the ammo, why would they offer a plea agreement? Following another case, a plea was made for lower charges in turn for the Def to testify against her husb and co conspirator.

I wonder if WH has agreed to possibly testify about something he knows in AJ disappearance? Possibly others involved? He would have a motive to take a plea in that situation, if he knows something. Should be interesting between now and Nov 6. JMHO.

Maybe he is going to plead guilty of the charges in exchange for a lighter sentence if he feels that there is enough evidence to convict him. He's probably afraid he might get the maximum sentence so if he pleads guilty he might get less.

Thinking out loud and hopefully AZLawyer can weigh in. IF WH has a Plea Hearing scheduled, does that mean that (sorry dont mean to sound dumb) but does that mean a Plea has been offered and probably accepted by WH? It seems very clear (JMHO) that he had the gun at the range and they found the ammo, why would they offer a plea agreement? Following another case, a plea was made for lower charges in turn for the Def to testify against her husb and co conspirator.

I wonder if WH has agreed to possibly testify about something he knows in AJ disappearance? Possibly others involved? He would have a motive to take a plea in that situation, if he knows something. Should be interesting between now and Nov 6. JMHO.

I would hope that his attorney wants to talk about a plea agreement, not LE.

Surely LE and/or a judge would not make any deal that the benefit gained was WH's testimony to anything for anyone. His words and actions have not exactly provided anything in regards to credibility. If he was testifying against someone else a defense attorney would rip whatever he had to say apart on credibility alone.

JMO but a legal perspective would be appreciated to explain what occurs in advance of such a hearing to be scheduled.

Maybe he is going to plead guilty of the charges in exchange for a lighter sentence if he feels that there is enough evidence to convict him. He's probably afraid he might get the maximum sentence so if he pleads guilty he might get less.

Now that I've read your post this seems like the most obvious reason for a plea agreement hearing - at the defense's request.

Now that I've read your post this seems like the most obvious reason for a plea agreement hearing - at the defense's request.

Or I guess he could plead no contest, which IMO of what I have seen of him, that's what he'll plead. He won't admit he's guilty at all but still get a lesser sentence.

I found this, so could be that plea of guilty will give less sentence.

A Federal Criminal Case Timeline
The following timeline is a very broad overview of the progress of
a federal felony case. Many variables can change the speed or
course of the case, including settlement negotiations and changes
in law. This timeline, however, will hold true in the majority of
federal felony cases in the Eastern District of Virginia.

Plea:
In the majority of federal cases, the defendant pleads guilty and does not
go to trial. A defendant can plead guilty “straight up,” or without a plea
agreement, or can strike a deal with the prosecutor and have a written
contract (a plea agreement) drafted with the terms of the plea.
A defendant has a right to be informed of every plea offer made by the
government. The defense attorney will also explain the terms of the plea
agreement, will discuss a defendant’s sentencing exposure at trial or
through the proposed plea, and will review the good and bad evidence
that awaits a defendant at trial. Ultimately, however, it is the defendant’s
decision alone on whether to take a plea offer from the prosecutor.

Sentencing:
If a defendant is convicted by either pleading guilty to a charge, or by
being found guilty after a trial, sentencing will take place about seventy-
five days later if the defendant is in custody, or about ninety days later if
the defendant is out of custody. See Fed. R. Crim. Pro. 32. A defendant
convicted of some offenses will likely be remanded into custody after trial,
but continued bond is allowed for less serious convictions.
Sometime after the conviction, the defendant will be interviewed by a
Probation Officer, and defense counsel may be present. The Probation
Officer will then take information from that interview, from forms
submitted by the defendant, and from material provided by the
government, and will prepare a draft pre-sentence report.
The draft pre-sentence report (or PSR) is provided to defense counsel and
the government before sentencing. The parties must make factual or legal
objections to the report within ten days of receipt. The court does not
receive a copy of this draft report – the goal is to resolve as many factual
or legal errors as possible before a PSR is provided to the judge.
Before sentencing, the final PSR is provided to the judge. This final PSR
describes the defendant’s background, describes the offense, and
calculates the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. It lists any unresolved
objections.
Also before sentencing, the parties must submit sentencing memoranda to
the court arguing for their proposed sentences.
At the sentencing hearing, the district court judge must resolve any
remaining objections to the PSR, make factual findings, and must consider
the factors of the key sentencing statute, 18 USC § 3553(a). Among the
factors that the court must consider are the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
In addition to a custodial sentence, the court will also decide how much
restitution is owed, and whether a criminal fine is appropriate.
Before imposing the sentence, the court must permit the defendant to
speak (or “allocute.”) See Fed. R. Crim. Pro. 32(i)(4). The defendant’s
counsel will have good advice on what to say at this point in the
sentencing hearing. A federal sentence can range from probation to
months or years in federal prison. If a sentence of imprisonment is
imposed, the district judge will also impose a term of supervised release
whereby a defendant must abide by the law while under post-release
supervision or risk additional punishment (see below).
http://vae.fd.org/sites/vae.fd.org/files/FedCrimTimeline.pdf

Holy moly - thank you so much. It sounds like a plea deal to me; I sort of expected the DA to lower the charges (don't they usually?). IF there is someone else, I do hope he tells what he knows. However, if I didn't commit the murder, I'd be screaming like a banshee right off the bat and he didn't do that. He can't be more afraid of someone dealing drugs than he is of 10 years up the river...or I wouldn't be. Thanks for sounding off on this; I don't know enough legalese, either, but don't care if I sound dumb. Hopefully AZLawyer will help us out if he can.

BBM ... she. :)

Sounds like a plea agreement has been reached and the parties are asking for the judge to review and approve the agreement. This is 100% normal and happens in most cases. I don't think there's any reason to speculate that the agreement would have less-normal provisions such as a requirement to testify in another case.

As for why prosecutors would agree to a plea agreement, few cases are slam dunks and also worth spending taxpayer money to take them to trial. This is a minor charge, really, and IIRC from last week defense counsel was challenging the search warrant, so it wasn't going to be a slam dunk.

Sounds like a plea agreement has been reached and the parties are asking for the judge to review and approve the agreement. This is 100% normal and happens in most cases. I don't think there's any reason to speculate that the agreement would have less-normal provisions such as a requirement to testify in another case.

As for why prosecutors would agree to a plea agreement, few cases are slam dunks and also worth spending taxpayer money to take them to trial. This is a minor charge, really, and IIRC from last week defense counsel was challenging the search warrant, so it wasn't going to be a slam dunk.

THANK YOU!!! After reading that lil bit I posted and reading a few Federal cases (ones in particular was a big Meth ring from Arkansas to Arizona that happened March 2015 but the Federal Indictment was Oct 2014. Thats what happened so far in most of the cases I have looked at. They dropped a lot of the charges and are now awaiting the sentencing date. (pleas made but under seal for now)

Again Thank You muches!!:loveyou:

Also, still hasn't been served with the warrant on drugs.

NAME CHARGE SEX RACE DOB HGT WGT EYE HAIR ISSUE DATE

HADSELL WESLEY PAUL POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES M W 5/21/1978 603 200 BLU BRO 10/7/2015
http://www.norfolk.gov/index.aspx?NID=335

How can you tell from this that he hasn't been served with the warrant on drugs (serious question)? My turn for a ?? question. I want this sweet girl put to rest and the asshats that had anything to do with under the jail.

I say that it hasn't been served because it still on the outstanding warrants page. When we 2 other people name was there once served they were removed. So far WH name hasn't been removed. So jmho. (don't know unless we ask ;) )

We don't know how long the ammo was there---but some of it was in plain sight on a table. So no one could have framed him with the ammo unless they placed it there after he left to go to the station for his interview. But his room was being watched closely that day because they were going to search it as soon as he left. So imo, no way it was placed there by anyone else. JMO

Further, I don't think that WH would leave his room with ammo in plain sight. He knew that anyone could have access to his room (housecleaning staff, hotel personnel, manager) while he was not there.

My theory is:
In the wee hours of Saturday, March 21, 2015, WH was caught by surprise in his hotel room by LE. Maybe he was preparing to go "fishing" and needed his ammo, so he took it out of the A/C vent. He would not have had time to hide the ammo. At that time, LE served two warrants on him: (1) a warrant for his arrest, and (2) a warrant to search his hotel room.

After survelling him, I'm sure LE considered WH a flight risk. That would explain why he was immediately arrested and taken into custody at his hotel room. I think the warrant itself states the time that he was served and placed under arrest. I really don't think WH went down to the Station House voluntarily on Saturday morning.

I seem to recall (feebly) that in one of his jailhouse interviews with Joe Fisher he mumbled something indicating that he'd been there many hours being questioned by LE; he said they would not let him go. That was because he was under arrest. I think Fisher asked WH whether he had already been under arrest when LE questioned him. After hedging, he reluctantly admitted that he guessed he was.

These may be wrong, and probably are!

My Opinion Only.

It never made sense to me why he would hide some ammo in the vent and not all of it - but then, it's Wes. I see where he did plead guilty this morning. Was he given a sentence this morning, too? Why haven't they charged him for the drugs?? I've got fuzz brain this morning from watching the World Series last night.

WH voluntarily went to the PD in the morning on Friday, March 20th to answer some questions. He was there for 15 hours being interrogated according to him, and then arrested sometime in the wee hours of Saturday March 21st. (the article linked below was originally posted on 3/21 at 7:49pm)

Or at the very least, that this is what WH said happened. Whether or not it really went down that way, is anyone's guess. I suppose they (LE) asked him to come in while they prepared to search his motel room. While he was there answering questions, they were collecting the evidence from his room. Voila: arrest & charges.

Wesley Hadsell, 36, was taken into custody March 21 after being interrogated by police for more than 15 hours, he said.

His arrest comes on the same day police and search crews spent more than 12 hours combing through a heavily wooded area along South Battlefield Boulevard in Chesapeake.

It was during a search of Hadsell’s hotel room where he said Norfolk police found 72 rounds of nine-millimeter ammunition. Hadsell doesn’t deny any of the charges or having a lengthy felony criminal record.
http://wavy.com/2015/03/21/missing-teens-father-arrested-on-six-charges/

Marissa Jasek twitted this: [video=twitter;659363927231496192]https://twitter.com/MarissaJasek/status/659363927231496192[/video]

Wesley Hadsell to plead guilty to purchase, possession of ammunition from 2013 incident according to federal attorney @WTKR3

Marissa Jasek twitted this: [video=twitter;659363927231496192]https://twitter.com/MarissaJasek/status/659363927231496192[/video]

Wesley Hadsell to plead guilty to purchase, possession of ammunition from 2013 incident according to federal attorney @WTKR3

Well the charge from 2013 is listed as a .40 caliber handgun --thereby a weapons charge (tho I suppose he'd have had ammo if he and AJ were shooting it in the video on his phone) -- but it was written up as a handgun charge. The ammo charge is 2015... So which is it. ?

Well the charge from 2013 is listed as a .40 caliber handgun --thereby a weapons charge (tho I suppose he'd have had ammo if he and AJ were shooting it in the video on his phone) -- but it was written up as a handgun charge. The ammo charge is 2015... So which is it. ?

I was wondering the same thing! When are they going to charge him with the drugs?

Hummm I thought it was for the ammo and I thought that he had maybe ordered it online and had it sent to him because of the interstate trafficking charge or something like that or was that for the other ammo?

Does anyone have the documents that show the charges for the evidence they found on his cell phone from the shooting range? I don't ever remember them ever saying he was being charged with gun possession only the ammo.

Does anyone have the documents that show the charges for the evidence they found on his cell phone from the shooting range? I don't ever remember them ever saying he was being charged with gun possession only the ammo.

I'd like to see those, too. Maybe LE went to the gun range and they remembered WH bringing his own gun? I have to admit, I thought that if WH had been with AJ during her last moments, he would have talked by now...I still remember him using the words "she departed my presence" which sounds weird. I don't understand why they don't charge him for all three - the gun, ammo, drugs - and get that over with. We may never know what happened to AJ and I don't want that to happen, but it looks like they can't prove she was ever in his hotel room, right? :(

I agree.

I guess I would go further and believe that that he will be let out of jail on time served very soon.

Motivation for Prosecutor to agree to plea: 1) They want to keep the affidavit sealed because a) info in it is being used to build a murder case or b) the affidavit was weak. 2) Time and money come into play. (basically what Ms. AZLawyer said.

Motivation for WH to agree: The only thing I can come up with is that he would get out of jail. Otherwise I think it would be worthwhile for him to see that affidavit behind the search warrant.

Possible extra motive for Prosecutor: Get more evidence for murder case. WH can't keep quiet and once he is out I think it is only a matter of time before he gives a new exclusive interview with a new story. And every time he speaks it may trigger someone else giving an interview. And so on.

It will also be interesting to see how he interacts with others, as that could indicate an accomplice.

I agree.

I guess I would go further and believe that that he will be let out of jail on time served very soon.

Motivation for Prosecutor to agree to plea: 1) They want to keep the affidavit sealed because a) info in it is being used to build a murder case or b) the affidavit was weak. 2) Time and money come into play. (basically what Ms. AZLawyer said.

Motivation for WH to agree: The only thing I can come up with is that he would get out of jail. Otherwise I think it would be worthwhile for him to see that affidavit behind the search warrant.

Possible extra motive for Prosecutor: Get more evidence for murder case. WH can't keep quiet and once he is out I think it is only a matter of time before he gives a new exclusive interview with a new story. And every time he speaks it may trigger someone else giving an interview. And so on.

It will also be interesting to see how he interacts with others, as that could indicate an accomplice.

I really doubt that they're going to let him out anytime soon. He's looking at 2 to 10 years for the weapon charges alone.

I really doubt that they're going to let him out anytime soon. He's looking at 2 to 10 years for the weapon charges alone.

Agreed, and because of his past criminal history I look for a minimum of 5 years. Also, if this was the 2013 charge from the cell phone info; he is still looking at the 2015 ammunition charge, and since they also found drugs during that search - that ups the anti even more.

JMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member