What case really burns your butt?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will never understand this either. Being from the local area, I cannot begin to explain the shockwave that erupted when this happened. I can't say that little boy's name without tears immediately springing to my eyes. Allegedly, both of them have previously been caught in the local area, against the conditions of their license. I still live where I grew up and the thought of those two being anywhere around here, without knowing who they are is horrifying. One of them has proven time and again that he remains a very clear and present danger to children, he should be locked up for the remainder of his life. There's some sympathy expressed for the other, the presumption that because he hasn't been in the news he has turned his life around...well I won't say any more about that.

There were a lot of excuses made for them at the time regarding their family lives and upbringing but I can assure you that there were hundreds, if not thousands of kids being brought up in the same circumstances in this area at that time. Only two of them committed such heinous acts.

Both have been rearrested, charged and convicted on numerous occasions for CP. What's going on there that they can't seem to keep computers and mobiles from these two? Venables has a kid, a KID. Makes me wonder if his fiancee knows of his previous history. Thompson, now living with his male partner (I may have gotten who has a kid and who has a male partner mixed up there. The stupid thing is I've seen their names floating about the Dark Web, so it's not like it isn't hard for people to hunt them down if they knew where to find the information. Just release the names, stop protecting them, we don't protect the rest of them.

I agree 100% re the circumstances, this is no excuse. I grew up in a wartorn country, surrounded by some awful stuff, had some awful stuff happen to me, but I didn't go kidnap a little boy and do unspeakable things to him then outright deny involvement.

I will never understand this either. Being from the local area, I cannot begin to explain the shockwave that erupted when this happened. I can't say that little boy's name without tears immediately springing to my eyes. Allegedly, both of them have previously been caught in the local area, against the conditions of their license. I still live where I grew up and the thought of those two being anywhere around here, without knowing who they are is horrifying. One of them has proven time and again that he remains a very clear and present danger to children, he should be locked up for the remainder of his life. There's some sympathy expressed for the other, the presumption that because he hasn't been in the news he has turned his life around...well I won't say any more about that.

There were a lot of excuses made for them at the time regarding their family lives and upbringing but I can assure you that there were hundreds, if not thousands of kids being brought up in the same circumstances in this area at that time. Only two of them committed such heinous acts.

Both have been rearrested, charged and convicted on numerous occasions for CP. What's going on there that they can't seem to keep computers and mobiles from these two? Venables has a kid, a KID. Makes me wonder if his fiancee knows of his previous history. Thompson, now living with his male partner (I may have gotten who has a kid and who has a male partner mixed up there. The stupid thing is I've seen their names floating about the Dark Web, so it's not like it isn't hard for people to hunt them down if they knew where to find the information. Just release the names, stop protecting them, we don't protect the rest of them.

I agree 100% re the circumstances, this is no excuse. I grew up in a wartorn country, surrounded by some awful stuff, had some awful stuff happen to me, but I didn't go kidnap a little boy and do unspeakable things to him then outright deny involvement.

Liam Smith a 16 year old Orkney lad who simply walked out of his home onto a bus and was never seen alive again.
They found his body in a remote wooded area 3 months later, and whilst the police claim there is no suspicious circs surrounding his death, something about it doesn't sit right with me. We get a lot of runaways and missing teens here but this one always felt different.
Can't put my finger on it just feels... Wrong.

Liam Smith a 16 year old Orkney lad who simply walked out of his home onto a bus and was never seen alive again.
They found his body in a remote wooded area 3 months later, and whilst the police claim there is no suspicious circs surrounding his death, something about it doesn't sit right with me. We get a lot of runaways and missing teens here but this one always felt different.
Can't put my finger on it just feels... Wrong.

Welcome @Syxanthi ! We have a thread for Liam
Found Deceased - UK - Liam Smith, 16, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17 Nov 2018

The Oakland County Child Killer
Paige Renkoski
Claudia Lawrence
Maura Murray

I grew up in SE Michigan during the time of the OCCK & was in the same age range as the victims. It seeped into every aspect of life as a kid back then. I think it was solvable then & now it's too late.

Paige was seemingly completely random. She was on the side of a very heavily traveled freeway & was just gone, like the earth swallowed her whole.

Not an unsolved case but I would like to see the body of Keith Bennett, victim of Moors Murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, being laid to rest soon. There was some effort a number of years ago to coordinate a public search to locate him on the moors, I registered as a volunteer searcher, but nothing ever came of it.

Brady knew all his life where Keith was, he knew it was his mother's dying wish to be reunited with her boy but he repeatedly refused her. That's a special kind of evil.

Last edited:
@AllyBeeUK that was the first case I read about when I moved to the UK. Those two, there are just no words.

I always wonder how many other victims they may have had that they didn't kill, who just didn't report it.

There's been a lot written about it over the years. I don't know if you've read the book written by David Smith, Myra's brother in law, they attempted to recruit him which was ultimately their downfall. It's called Evil Relations and is definitely worth reading. I don't doubt there were many more potential victims who escaped for one reason or another, they may not even realise it.

ETA : a lot of people still to this day will exhibit sympathy for Myra, they believe she simply went along with the plans and was too scared to say no. Not true, she was as deep down evil as he was.

There is a cold case in Liverpool that dates back to 1908, a little girl named Madge Kirby went missing, her body was later found in an onion sack. I am a blood relation of Madge and it makes me deeply sad that no one was ever brought to justice for her murder. Of course, over 100 years have passed since she was killed so it's unikely I will ever know but I'm always trying to find out more about what happened to her and at whose hands.

The 'lost girls of Liverpool' - the horrific child murders that scarred a city

Last edited:
Denise Amber Lee murdered by Michael King in Florida was ALMOST saved in time.
Calista Springer, who died in a house fire because her idiot parents kept her tied her to her bed in Michigan.
Julie Jensen, murdered by husband Mark Jensen. The prosecutor was a hero, but the jury figured out her note left with neighbors.

Jennifer Joyce Kesse. A beautiful young woman. 24 years old. Did everything right in her life. Had a wonderful, supportive family. Great friends--old and new. A "straight-A" student. Graduated from Central Florida University with a degree in finance. Landed a good job. Fell in love. Bought a new condo. Was so safety conscious she paid attention to who was walking behind her at the mall.

Spoke to her boyfriend on January 23, 2006 around 10 pm. Told him she was in bed. Then she vanished.

No sign of a struggle. Nothing. Just a poor quality video of an unknown person of interest parking her car a little more than a mile from her condo and walking away. Before high-noon on January 24, 2006.

How can this happen?

Oh, yeah. This case makes me feel the burn.
Just heard about this one on a podcast... had not looked up the photos yet so thank you for attaching. They are even worse quality than I'd expected.

More recently the Harley Dilly case has broken my heart. It was his missing persons post on an autism help site that actually led me to WS. I have followed the case with a sinking feeling, knowing in my soul the outcome, but nothing prepared me for how much I would come to adore this wee man or how much the final result would take a piece of me with it.

It seems events conspired against poor Harley right from the late hours of the evening before, right up to the moment he was missing. You can't help feeling if just one thing had been differently in those 24 hrs leading up to his disappearance things might of been different.
This one is going to stay with me I feel.

I just thought of another case that haunts me. Ricky Holland, killed by his adoptive parents. I'm an adult adoptee, my husband is an adult adoptee and our daughter is adopted. I lived in the same general area and was very active in the online adoption community at that time. The smiling school picture of that little boy and knowing what was done to him haunts me still.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back