What do you make of Terri never speaking to the media?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know of one attorney who would advise their client to speak to reporters. Not one. And many would not advise their clients to speak to LE either. And I would say its probably one of the toughest statements of advice for clients to follow. Its natural to defend ourselves...its almost automatic. If you will read newspapers from a couple weeks ago, there are some of Terri's friends who say that Terri is going to speak out. She wants to say something, they declare, she is going to share her side. But she never does. I'm certain she wanted to because that is human nature at work.

Even when you declare your innocence, it can be used against you. If you haven't done so, please go back and view post #8. What an incredibly informative video that is. The law professor speaking is a former defense attorney who basically says, "SHUT UP." I think you would like seeing it.
Thanks for responding.

I have to say that I do not believe for one minute that Terri ever intended to speak out, as you state that her friends claim. She had plenty of time and she NEVER did. If that was her posting on websites, then she was still hiding.

If she intended to, and this was before the attorney, she would have. She apparently hides behind people, let's them talk for her; basically she appears to be a user of the people around her.

I also still disagree about what ALL attorneys would advise their clients to do. For her to express nothing expressed everything.

Too bad. Were she even remotely close to appearing and being thought to be innocent, then I would be looking at her differently.

These are my opinions. Thanks for sharing yours, shefner.

I have been saying since last night exactly what the video and others here have been saying. She isn't going to talk, they will not release a statement until something forces a statement (an arrest). It's basic criminal defense strategy, don't give them anything you don't absolutely have to. It's not because TH has nothing to say, or because she is cold, it's because it does her no good to speak. Even her facial expressions are being analyzed every-which-way-to-Sunday (in these threads), so you can see how any word she might have uttered would also be picked apart. She's not going to wear a Kyron shirt, she's not going to talk to the media, we are not going to hear from her attorney until which time they are forced to make a statement. Until an arrest, they are going to do everything possible to distance TH from Kyron and this case. I am definitely on the fence at this point about TH and her involvement. I still don't think we help Kyron or help sleuth this case by trying to analyze her hairstyle or interpret what she was feeling when she was caught off guard by (what might have been) the umpteeth reporter this week. MOO MOO MOO.

Well, with all of the details that DY and KH are coming out with about TH now, have they ever said that she refused to talk during the PCs?

If she did it, she would keep quiet.

If she has no involvement, why didn't she come out at some time and tell everyone, " I know what you are saying and thinking."

"I love my step son more than anything. I am distraught. I am devastated."

"Please, everyone, keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Please memorize his face. Please, keep looking."

Would any of those statements get her the DP?

Anything to show that she cares.

Instead she lawyers up. Even a lawyer could come up with a sadness statement, I would think.
She is basically in a no-win situation of her own making at this point. If she would have made any of the above statements in the first few days after Kyron's disappearance possibly she would have a better "public opinion". I don't know, but I myself would have felt a whole lot better just hearing those words coming out of her mouth. Not saying anything about her missing stepson speaks volumes to me.

I have been saying since last night exactly what the video and others here have been saying. She isn't going to talk, they will not release a statement until something forces a statement (an arrest). It's basic criminal defense strategy, don't give them anything you don't absolutely have to. It's not because TH has nothing to say, or because she is cold, it's because it does her no good to speak. Even her facial expressions are being analyzed every-which-way-to-Sunday (in these threads), so you can see how any word she might have uttered would also be picked apart. She's not going to wear a Kyron shirt, she's not going to talk to the media, we are not going to hear from her attorney until which time they are forced to make a statement. Until an arrest, they are going to do everything possible to distance TH from Kyron and this case. I am definitely on the fence at this point about TH and her involvement. I still don't think we help Kyron or help sleuth this case by trying to analyze her hairstyle or interpret what she was feeling when she was caught off guard by (what might have been) the umpteeth reporter this week. MOO MOO MOO.

so why didn't she send a prepared statement with no sight of her?

I mean physically. To me Kaine has aged 10 years from the laughing guy in all the pictures with his son. Since the news has come out about the hire a killer...he looks shell shocked to me.

Terri I thought looked 10 years younger in that clip yesterday than from in the presser where she was doing weird things. Certainly not like i would be in her circumstances with a step son missing that i was being associated with, losing my baby daughter..losing my home soon..being accused of hiring someone to kill my husband. I really doubt that i would be able to function hardly.

MOO

wHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE GIANT JOWLS tERRI WAS SPORTING AT PRESSERS # 1 AND #2? iN PARKING GARAGE VIDEO, JOWLS ARE GONE. HOW DID SHE GET RID OF THEM, COS THEY WERE PRETTY PROMINENT.
'oops caps locks so sorry

This is why attorneys say, "DO NOT TALK, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING, DO NOT LOOK AROUND, DO NOT SHOW ANYTHING." Because every little move will be dissected. There is nothing Terri could have done except what she did. If she had cried, she would be seen as guilty and unstable. If she had laughed, she would have been seen as callous and cruel. If she had smiled, she would have been seen as arrogant. If she had made an ugly face or gesture, she would have been seen as rude. If she had lashed out or cursed, she would have been seen as angry and violent.

Thank goodness she kept her mouth shut.

Yet, Kaine and Desiree have done all of that... put themselves out there with their every move and every word being scrutinized, for one reason and one reason only... to bring Kyron home.

so why didn't she send a prepared statement with no sight of her?

Because it's still "her speaking". The strategy right now is probably to distance her from the entire event as much as possible. The less the public sees TH connecting *herself* to the case in any way, the better, for them. As long as she's free, as long as there isn't enough evidence to arrest/convict, it behooves their client to keep moving her further and further from the "case". It's not at all about her innocence (or guilt), it's just legal strategy.

I have to say that I am very surprised that her lawyer has not made any type of statement on her behalf..........very odd IMO.

Thanks for responding.

I have to say that I do not believe for one minute that Terri ever intended to speak out, as you state that her friends claim. She had plenty of time and she NEVER did. If that was her posting on websites, then she was still hiding.

If she intended to, and this was before the attorney, she would have. She apparently hides behind people, let's them talk for her; basically she appears to be a user of the people around her.

I also still disagree about what ALL attorneys would advise their clients to do. For her to express nothing expressed everything.

Too bad. Were she even remotely close to appearing and being thought to be innocent, then I would be looking at her differently.

These are my opinions. Thanks for sharing yours, shefner.

Seeking Truth, while we may disagree about some things, I appreciate you sharing your ideas and opinions. I know we both agree that we hope Kyron comes home today. What a joy that would be....

wHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE GIANT JOWLS tERRI WAS SPORTING AT PRESSERS # 1 AND #2? iN PARKING GARAGE VIDEO, JOWLS ARE GONE. HOW DID SHE GET RID OF THEM, COS THEY WERE PRETTY PROMINENT.
'oops caps locks so sorry

How long has it been since that day? A month or so? You can lose a TON of weight in 30 days if your under a lot of stress and you're not a stress eater. I don't eat anything at all when I'm stressed out and think I could easily lose 15 lbs or more in a month under those circumstances. I've done it in the past without even realizing it.

Also, if she was drinking and stopped, she would lose a lot of the *puffy* right away. jmoo

Yet, Kaine and Desiree have done all of that... put themselves out there with their every move and every word being scrutinized, for one reason and one reason only... to bring Kyron home.

Yes, but they aren't being looked at as the prime POI in the case. They don't have anything to defend, because they haven't been put on the defense. They are (rightfully) victims in this entire thing, and they are doing exactly what victims do. TH is not being looked at as a victim, she's being looked at as the possible perp, so her strategy is different. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending TH, just trying to explain what lawyers do when they represent someone in a high profile case.

(I am married to a lawyer who has done plenty of defense, I guess over the years I have learned this stuff from him because I have had plenty of "why are they doing/not doing this?!" moments and he has to remind me that the lawyers aren't supposed to be concerned with the innocence/guilt of the person they represent. They are simply paid to do what they can to do their job in the way that best represents the interests of their client).

Oh.... that pic breaks my heart, too.

Just this morning, I finally saw some pictures of Kyron when he was a baby- and what a beautiful baby he was!

He looks so much like his mother, Desiree, and in the photos of Kyron with Kaine, you can just see the pride on Kaine's face.

Watching the video of Terri refusing to answer the reporter's questions is just so frustrating. I can only guess here, of course, because I have never had a missing child, thank God, but...

it just seems obvious to me that if Terri didn't have anything to do with Kyron's disappearance, she would be taking the opportunity to get the message out to find Kyron. She would be working side-by-side with the Kyron's parents, and jumping through hoops to do whatever it takes to help the authorities. But, she's not.

Instead, she is hiding out. She is even trying to hide behind the other woman in the video. She's acting 'shy', but she was anything but shy when she was standing on a stage, in a bikini, in a competition, slathered in oil to show off her bulging muscles. A true shy person couldn't do that.

I trust Desiree's assessment of Terri, and I believe that Terri wore a mask for as many years as she could.

Terri is the 'key' to the disappearance of Kyron, and she is in control. I feel in my heart that Terri is a very manipulative woman, and she must have ice water running through her veins to be able to withhold the information that Kyron's parent's and the authorities need to bring Kyron home.

The above post is my (very strong) opinion, only.

Sorry, suzet, but I think things are quite different for Kaine and Desiree and there is no way to compare. These are the biological parents. They see Terri as being responsible for what happened....whether she did something with Kyron or not. There must be someone to blame and I think she was the first one that came to mind. After all, she was the last one to see Kyron. Perhaps there was some resentment (subconsciously, even) that she was the person who took him that day...who took the time to go to his science fair and take pictures. In saying this, I am not saying Terri is innocent...but I am not certain she is guilty.

I feel that Terri is an easy person to blame. Maybe she is to blame but I can't say. Undoubtedly she had some emotional issues going on prior to any of this. Most likely she was clinically depressed and could have been having other issues as well. I think she was isolated from the others early on and knew it....this is what we see in her demeanor. Kaine and Desiree say Terri was the one who pulled away....and in the family dynamic that could be true or maybe its just their perception.

Yes, but they aren't being looked at as the prime POI in the case. They don't have anything to defend, because they haven't been put on the defense. They are (rightfully) victims in this entire thing, and they are doing exactly what victims do. TH is not being looked at as a victim, she's being looked at as the possible perp, so her strategy is different. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending TH, just trying to explain what lawyers do when they represent someone in a high profile case.

(I am married to a lawyer who has done plenty of defense, I guess over the years I have learned this stuff from him because I have had plenty of "why are they doing/not doing this?!" moments and he has to remind me that the lawyers aren't supposed to be concerned with the innocence/guilt of the person they represent. They are simply paid to do what they can to do their job in the way that best represents the interests of their client).

All of that is true. However, I've seen it mentioned that Houze is known for his stellar PR skills. If that's true, I would think he could do better on TH's behalf under the circumstances. Or maybe he doesn't see her benefitting at all from an publicity whatsoever. I found this about him and thought the observations particularly apropos. It's from a Portland Tribune article posted on Houze's own website.

snip~

“He’s very adept at PR,” Regan said. “He never overhypes a defense or grandstands, but the minute he steps in front of a microphone, he’s very much aware that he’s presenting a defense.

“I noticed this with (Hawash),” Regan continued. “He’s (Houze is) talking about how sketchy the government’s case is. I’ve noticed over the years that he doesn’t say much when his client wouldn’t benefit from publicity. I’m not saying he’s manipulative. I’m saying he’s intelligent: He understands the power of persuasion.”

Nowhere has this been more evident than in the contrast between the informal news conference in which Houze criticized the government’s case against Hawash in May and his handling of Scott Thomason’s criminal traffic case last October.

Thomason, whose face is known to many in the Portland area because of his car commercials, was charged with hitting another vehicle while driving in downtown Portland on the evening of Oct. 3, 2002.

The case had potential for explosive negative publicity.

According to witness statements quoted in police reports, Thomason got out of his car, inspected its extensive front-end damage and started to walk toward the other vehicle, then got back into his own car and left the scene. “I found it alarming how fast he took off,” one witness is quoted as saying in the police reports on the investigation.

But, less than one month later, Thomason pleaded guilty as charged to what commonly is known as hit and run and was sentenced to probation, with little publicity about the fact that his sentence included alcohol evaluation and treatment, despite no evidence that he was intoxicated at the time of the crime.

The requirement was based on a previous hit-and-run accident in which Thomason allegedly was involved but was not charged at the request of the victim. Included in the report of last October’s case was a statement from the officer who had investigated the previous incident. The officer said that he remembered thinking alcohol might have been involved.

http://www.shouze.com/display-cases.asp?artID=1

*snipped*

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I am not only speaking of the time that has passed since TH lawyered up, I am taking into consideration the length of time that passed from the time Kyron went missing until the time TH lawyered up.

You know I have been with this case since the beginning and I respectfully disagree that the bio parents have been looked at as victims only. I disagree that they have not been put on the defense. On the internet there are many many posts attempting to implicate Kaine and Desiree in their son's disappearance and otherwise throw them under the bus.

I suppose since, for the most part, many of us can agree, as you said, that Kaine and Desiree are victims, not the possible perp that Terri is, there will still always be many statements made that attempt to put them in a very bad light. It seems like some statements are made to make Kaine and Desiree look guilty of something in an almost obsessive effort to make Terri look like she is innocent. And I guess I do not understand what imo seems to be mispaced blame, for Kaine and Desiree are grieving parents and do not deserve the harsh treatment I have read on the net. My opinion. Thanks for reading.

If you will read back through some of the newspaper articles, you will see that Terri's father told the press that his daughter has been interviewed countless times by police. He stated that those interviews sometimes lasted up to 6 hours. This is prior to Terri having legal representation. So for 3 weeks or more, Terri was willing to talk freely and be interviewed at length. This is striking. If I was totally and 100% innocent, I wouldn't be willing to do that...much less if I was guilty. Terri's father was tearful during his brief chat with reporters.
I am not sure if Terri is guilty or innocent. I really have to go on what Law Enforcement has said so far. They have not named her as a suspect or person of interest (yes, yes, I know she probably is one...but they haven't said it). LE has said she is cooperating. They have never said anything to the contrary. LE has not made any comments supporting Kaine or Desiree and their interviews, statements, or press conferences. Matter of fact, they have issued a statement from their office saying that they will not comment about those interviews and pressers and that they have nothing to do with them.
I suppose this is one of the wildest cases I've seen....the information we have available can't be confirmed and we have the family talking quite a bit without LE being involved. I'm not sure what to make of it.

The problem is..its no use Terri being there for 6 hours at a time if she will not cooperate with police whilst there...ie being honest for starters and answering lie detectors and telling where she really was that day ( as apparently there was discrepancies in her stories)

Secondly regarding LE - i think some people are taking LE literally when they say Terri isnt a person of interest. Although they may be saying this officially in the media..from Kaines Restraining Order its obvious this isnt the case..also from what Kaine Desiree and Tony have stated its obvious who the police see as being responsible and uncooperative in this matter.

JMO

The video on the KATU website wouldn't load for me. Is it worth me trying to watch, or is it just Terri saying "I'm not answering anything" and walking away?
It's definitely worth watching. It made me think of Desiree's statement at the last presser about the fact that Terri hides her thoughts and emotions so you never can tell what she's thinking, if she's telling the truth or who she really is. That is what I saw in the garage clip. A complete lack of expression...a total poker face. I know very few people in the world, guilty or innocent, who could maintain that lack of expression in that kind of confrontational situation. With that face, she could get away with anything and I'm starting to think that's how she's gotten through life.

There is no doubt that Terri Horman has been instructed by her attorney to say absolutely nothing, especially not to the media. This is the best advice ever given to anyone who is the subject of such relentless scrutiny. If you are ever attacked or pursued by (unusual persons) , otherwise known as the media, look down and say nothing and show nothing. This is often the advice attorneys give to their clients in the courtroom as well.
If you will read back through some of the newspaper articles, you will see that Terri's father told the press that his daughter has been interviewed countless times by police. He stated that those interviews sometimes lasted up to 6 hours. This is prior to Terri having legal representation. So for 3 weeks or more, Terri was willing to talk freely and be interviewed at length. This is striking. If I was totally and 100% innocent, I wouldn't be willing to do that...much less if I was guilty. Terri's father was tearful during his brief chat with reporters.
I am not sure if Terri is guilty or innocent. I really have to go on what Law Enforcement has said so far. They have not named her as a suspect or person of interest (yes, yes, I know she probably is one...but they haven't said it). LE has said she is cooperating. They have never said anything to the contrary. LE has not made any comments supporting Kaine or Desiree and their interviews, statements, or press conferences. Matter of fact, they have issued a statement from their office saying that they will not comment about those interviews and pressers and that they have nothing to do with them.
I suppose this is one of the wildest cases I've seen....the information we have available can't be confirmed and we have the family talking quite a bit without LE being involved. I'm not sure what to make of it.

No link so believe me or don't, the other day as part of something a LE officer was saying to the media, "Terri was no longer cooperating with LE" (this was right after she got the atty) and then he elaborated by stating what he meant by that was she was not calling LE with any info about Kyron. I thought- huh? They expect HER to CALL THEM and divulge anything? I realize shes lawyered up and isn't speaking a peep now but I would hope LE would require her to come to the station, with lawyer, and answer some freaking questions or something.
And, is anybody (besides that Oakes guy) even looking for Kyron, or has the LE given up on that and we are just waiting for someone to stumble upon his remains? And if "they" think there's an accomplice and Kyron might still be out there alive WHY not plead for whoever who has Kyron to drop him off at a safe place, etc? IMO thinking she has an accomplice, and Kyron is possibly still alive, is the thin thread on which Kaine and Desiree are hanging whats left of their hope and sanity. Deep in their heart they can't really believe it, or they would be pleading for that accomplice to let Kyron go. All they have really said (and not lately) was "Kyron, we are looking for you and are going to bring you home, buddy." [paraphrased]

jmo

abbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads