What Is the Defense Strategy?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the little balls on her letters in carpe diem etc matched her jailhouse fancy letters. To Cookie

I think that may be what alerted them to the similarities of the style in both :)

If that makes sense..~L~

Yes, the handwriting is identical.
The Diary was turned over to LE, by Conway, on Feb 12, 2010.

FBI asked the Secret Service to do Ink analysis on the Diary - March 25, 2010.

Secret Service gave their Ink analysis Report to the FBI on June 3, 2010.

FBI did their Report on the Ink analysis of the Diary on Dec 7, 2010.

State Attorneys got the FBI Report Jan 13, 2011.

State added SS Joseph Stephens to State Witness List Jan 14, 2011.

This was released in Discovery Jan 28, 2011.

Attachments

• Casey diary 03 lighter.jpg
    Casey diary 03 lighter.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 24
  • KC handwriting dots on letters 1.JPG
    KC handwriting dots on letters 1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
  • KC handwriting dots on letters 2.JPG
    KC handwriting dots on letters 2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
  • KC handwriting dots on letters 3.jpg
    KC handwriting dots on letters 3.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Letter1 hinky KC jail letter with dots.png
    Letter1 hinky KC jail letter with dots.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 16
http://www.cfnews13.com/static/articles/images/documents/handwritinganalysis.pdf

pages 1- 11 - The FBI did a Report dated Dec 7, 2010 on the Diary/notebook/journal

The specimens received at the FBI Questioned Document Unit were some of Inmate Anthony's written jail letters - known writing samples, and the Diary.

The FBI found indented writing on a Diary page.
The FBI found that the Diary was manufactured and distributed as a one-time specialty item solely to Dollar General stores in 2004 (not 2003 as written on the Diary).

Ink dating exams and additional optical exams on the Diary, were done by the US Secret Service, Questioned Document Div, and a Report was provided.

page 12 - The US Secret Service, (Joseph Stephens - new State witness), gave their Report on the Diary to the FBI June 3, 2010.

Ink Analysis on the Diary (which had been requested on March 25, 2010) found that the writing in the Diary was all done with red ballpoint ink, but no determination on the date of the ink could be made because there was no match in the US Intl Ink Library which goes back to the 20's with samples. The Report said if they could find the ink pen, more testing could be done.

RBBM...

ThinkTank are you saying that the "red" ink is so unique that there is no ink in comparison? I'm a little confused on that? :waitasec:

Well, my last name isn't Freud, but I have some thoughts. Who is the main user of a red pen? A TEACHER, someone who "teaches you a lesson". And, what does a teacher do with the red pen? He/She makes CORRECTIONS, by "correcting the mistakes made". So, possibly, on a subliminal level, KC was teaching CA a lesson by correcting the "mistake" that she had made, and what better way to memorialize it than with a red pen. Also, a teacher is in CONTROL of a classroom. This may have been a way for KC to take back control of her life. And, lastly, the red could also be symbolic of BLOOD, which clearly was the life taken from Caylee. All jmo, of course, but wasn't it CA that said KC left little clues in everything she did?

Probably unrelated, but in nursing school, way back in 1988 while working in tha hospitals, Each shift used a paticular color ink when documenting in the patrients chart. RED BLUE AND GREEN. shifts were 7-3 3-11 and 11-7. dont remember which color was used for each shift. Doctors used black to write their orders.* before records were computerized.FWIW.

RBBM...

ThinkTank are you saying that the "red" ink is so unique that there is no ink in comparison? I'm a little confused on that? :waitasec:

I'm confused about that also??
I think they are saying that since they do not have the actual red pen that was used to write in the Diary, they cannot match the ink solely from the exam of the writing in the Diary? They need the actual pen, I think.

This is what the Secret Service Report says:

"Representative samples of the ink were compared against the United States International Ink Library. No matches were identified based on a search against the reference collection maintained in this division. Therefore, no determination could be made regarding the authenticity of Exhibit K42 (the Diary) with respect to date based on the commercial availability of the writing ink."

"At the time of this examination, the United States International Ink Library consisted of over 10,000 writing ink samples obtained throughout the world dating back to the 1920s."

"If additional evidence, such as a suspect writing instrument (pen), is obtained, further comparative examinations can be conducted."

RBBM...

Probably a cheap pen, imported from China or similar, in a fairly recent timeframe, that has never had cause to be added to the Secret Services databases. I would assume that ink formulations can varry from pen to pen, manufacturer to manufacturer and run to run. if they had the pen they would know the manufacturer and check with them regarding the ink and pens dates of manufacture.

Yes, the handwriting is identical.
The Diary was turned over to LE, by Conway, on Feb 12, 2010.

FBI asked the Secret Service to do Ink analysis on the Diary - March 25, 2010.

Secret Service gave their Ink analysis Report to the FBI on June 3, 2010.

FBI did their Report on the Ink analysis of the Diary on Dec 7, 2010.

State Attorneys got the FBI Report Jan 13, 2011.

State added SS Joseph Stephens to State Witness List Jan 14, 2011.

This was released in Discovery Jan 28, 2011.

Good grief! Who writes like that? Is she 12?

Thanks ThinkTank!!!

Just another weird thing to add to this entire case! :banghead:

Wonder if LE ever discovered a red ink pen at the Anthony home?

What is the probability that ICA used a red ink pen that is NOT on the list of the US International Ink Library? :thud:

Thanks ThinkTank!!!

Just another weird thing to add to this entire case! :banghead:

Wonder if LE ever discovered a red ink pen at the Anthony home?

What is the probability that ICA used a red ink pen that is NOT on the list of the US International Ink Library? :thud:

I wonder too if LE collected red ink pens in any search warrants.
Though, we don't know (maybe the Prosecutors know) where the Inmate was when she wrote in that Diary in red ink? It is possible that she took it with her, wrote in it at different times, and brought it back home and tucked it away.

Probably unrelated, but in nursing school, way back in 1988 while working in tha hospitals, Each shift used a paticular color ink when documenting in the patrients chart. RED BLUE AND GREEN. shifts were 7-3 3-11 and 11-7. dont remember which color was used for each shift. Doctors used black to write their orders.* before records were computerized.FWIW.

Ah, yes! :goodpost: Only people who have a need for a red pen would have one in their home. I used to have to use black ink pens and sharpies for a job when DH and I first got married. I always had black pens and sharpies because I would be working with them in my back pocket and then come home with them. I can honestly say that at this point in time, there is not a single red pen in my home. Black ones, blue ones, black markers, yes, but not a single red pen. I have a package of pens that I found the other day that I bet are a couple of years old, and when I tried to use them, they were all dried up. Now, a better pen may last longer, but I don't know.

Thanks for adding that Chefmom - I just looked through my desk drawer and found four or five different pens that I used for several projects two or three years ago - and yes, they are dried up. And I'm pretty picky about my pens so I doubt ICA is using a "better" one. Wonder if George has a penchant for red pens? Or Cindy at work?

It's hard to know if this was a ball point red pen, or one of the uni-roll pens that seem to be a cross between a ball point and a small point"marker". A marker sure wouldn't last that long - I doubt a ball point would either, but don't know for sure - none of my pens last that long - mainly because I rarely write anything anymore, except for a signature. :waitasec:

Ah, yes! :goodpost: Only people who have a need for a red pen would have one in their home. I used to have to use black ink pens and sharpies for a job when DH and I first got married. I always had black pens and sharpies because I would be working with them in my back pocket and then come home with them. I can honestly say that at this point in time, there is not a single red pen in my home. Black ones, blue ones, black markers, yes, but not a single red pen. I have a package of pens that I found the other day that I bet are a couple of years old, and when I tried to use them, they were all dried up. Now, a better pen may last longer, but I don't know.

Respectfully BBM

I'm not sure that's really true. In my home, I have red, green, burgundy, turquoise, a variety of metallic colors... and a zillion different black and blue pens of various quality.... with no real reason to have them except that I have a pen fetish!!:blushing:

Red was 11-7, I worked it! Green was 3-11 and blue was 7-3.

You have to take into account that both Cindy and Casey were in to crafting, scrapebooking, etc.

I'm sure that there are/is a variety of differant colored pens in that house. And, I would think that they were those roller-type vs regular ball point pens used in their craft things. They are more decorative and leave a nicer look, IMO.

Another thing to concider, is that the pen may have come from Cindy's job, or any number of places for that matter.
Everytime I'm at a doctor's appointment, I always pick up their pharmacutical freebie pens that are left, cause they have a larger holding base since my hands cramp so easily.

Banks give out pens, they have them sitting at the counter, so, finding that pen could be a task ~

I worked out the defence strategy! Hubby and I have started watching The West Wing right from season one, and in one of the episodes tonight, Jed says that one of his professors told him: "If the law is on your side, argue the law. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If neither law or facts are on your side, thump the defence table as hard as you can."

I'm sure I've heard that before, but tonight it struck me that this is the situation JB is in - with neither law or facts on his side, he is trying to thump the table as hard as he can. Unfortunately, when he does it he doesn't come across as a big scary man, rather a toddler having a tantrum.

After reading the long, detailed time line on the Hinky Meter, I cannot believe they are not going for insanity. There is more information leading towards that, than anything else they have. Of course, I don't believe she is legally insane, but the girl has to be "crazy" to have lied and told those complex untrue stories for all those years. How could she keep them straight? The time line has me comfortable with LWOP,

The Defense Strategy? Well, let's see....how about bleed the state dry with bogus fees for investigating silliness right up to trial date, Keep throwing nonsense motions against the wall to see if one will stick - while keeping the public occupied (entertained) - however you choose to look at it. Keep your mug in the media to, hopefully, help your "after KC" opportunities.

Plead guilty at the last available moment. IMO there is absolutely no way that this defense team (used loosely) will allow a jury to determine their client's fate. They already know the verdict.

KC will, IMO, plead guilty at some point. She will declare that she's really innocent but trying to lessen her parents' pain by being the martyr or some such mess...you know what I mean.

As far as the prosecution goes...I believe they will be willing to make a deal as long as KC gets put away for a long, long time. They do not want to risk KC getting off due to a technicality or the unpredictability of a jury verdict. But - I think they will play hardball with the death penalty as long as they possibly can.

And this is all just my humble opinion.....

While AL has been gone from KC's team for a while...she continues to lend her opinion to media regarding other cases.

We have seen that she has a very predictable MO.....thus making these statements rather interesting.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/133188013/Loughner-Pleads-Not-Guilty-On-Federal-Charges

In the case of Jared Loughner....the man that shot Gabrielle Giffords in AZ....AL had this to say... I should share...that Loughner's counsel was a previous colleague of AL.

The other thing we expect at some point is a psychiatric evaluation. And we spoke with the defense attorney who was a colleague of Judy Clarke's, Andrea Lyon. She said that could take months, even before anyone even interviews LoughnerHere's what she said.

Ms. ANDREA LYON (Defense Attorney): You need to know family history, medical history, psychological history, drug or alcohol problem, you know, physiological problems and any of those sorts of things first.

Thanks SOTS,

Not that I'm surprised but she just hops from one high profile case to another, eh? I could go without seeing or hearing about her for a long time.

I like Ann Finnel. She gets the job done and stays away from the cameras. Not that I think KC really deserves it, but this is the type of rigorous defense she is 'entitled' to have. A defense team who doesn't slobber and chase around the cameras like a media ho.

Thanks SOTS,

Not that I'm surprised but she just hops from one high profile case to another, eh? I could go without seeing or hearing about her for a long time.

I like Ann Finnel. She gets the job done and stays away from the cameras. Not that I think KC really deserves it, but this is the type of rigorous defense she is 'entitled' to have. A defense team who doesn't slobber and chase around the cameras like a media ho.

I like her, too. She seems workmanlike and mannerly.

I do have to remind myself that she is not based in Orlando. She may not have had any media ops because of this. Time will tell.

Feel free to rip this theory apart seven ways come sundown, don't mind a bit. Wouldn't Casey's defense team be more effective in making the state prove Caylee was murdered by Casey deliberately. I know they aren't going to put her on the stand to say it was an accident but I do see many issues that the defense could use to put an accident theory into the jurors minds without putting Casey on the stand. That would meet the burden of reasonable doubt that it was a murder.

We have Casey herself admitting to detectives that her mother would never forgive her so play that up to the highest degree. The ugly coping actions may be better explained by suggesting she was trying to act as normal as possible by sticking to her regular activities so no one would suspect anything was wrong. Her pathological lying self just goes to show how she was able to lie about the things she did much easier than you'd expect.

One of the strongest points I feel that has baffled most of us is that Casey had no plan. None whatsoever. If it were a rage killing then the pc searches don't fit. As for the duct tape, RH posted on that he felt it was used to keep fluid from coming out after death so if he would be willing to buy that story it's possible the jurors would.

With all the evidence that clearly ties Casey to the crime I see no other believable alternative for the defense to present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder