Where will the jury come from?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This was posted on the legal thread, and since I am not an attorney, I didn't want to say anything on that thread. I'm honestly not sure where what I have to say should be posted, so mods, if you need to move this, please do so.

I just had to comment on this and I truly hope I will not offend anyone.

Serving on a jury in the United States is a privilege we have as an American citizen. I would certainly hope that if a person is in this country illegally, no matter which county they live in, that they would have ZERO opportunity to serve as a juror.

:twocents:
Qualification for Juror...
Must be a at least 18 years old, a U.S Citizen AND legal resident of Florida..

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes....HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0040->Section 01#0040.01

Title V
JUDICIAL BRANCH

Chapter 40
JURIES; PAYMENT OF JURORS AND DUE PROCESS COSTS

View Entire Chapter

40.01 Qualifications of jurors.--Jurors shall be taken from the male and female persons at least 18 years of age who are citizens of the United States and legal residents of this state and their respective counties and who possess a driver's license or identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles pursuant to chapter 322 or who have executed the affidavit prescribed in s. 40.011.

40.011 Jury lists.--

(1) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall deliver quarterly to the clerk of the circuit court in each county a list of names of persons who reside in that county, who are citizens of the United States, who are legal residents of Florida, who are 18 years of age or older, and for whom the department has a driver's license or identification card record. The clerk of the circuit court shall add to the list the name of any person who is 18 years of age or older and who is a citizen of the United States and a legal resident of Florida and who indicates a desire to serve as a juror, but whose name does not appear on the department list, by requiring such person to execute an affidavit at the office of the clerk.

(2) The affidavit executed pursuant to subsection (1) must be in substantially the following form:

State of Florida

I, _______________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I am _____ years of age; that I am a citizen of the United States and a legal resident of Florida and _____ County; that I personally make application for jury duty; that I am eligible to serve as a juror under the Constitution and laws of Florida; and that I reside at (Address)

(Signature)

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, (year) , at _____ County, Florida.

(Signature and title of officer

administering oath)

I'm sure that you have to be a legal resident of the state, but, not sure how this apply since many people do winter over in Florida, and, are required to have a Florida drivers license if they spend a certain amount of time in Florida during the year.

As far as your other question; any person serving on any jury, must be a citizen of the United States, and legal, I'm quite sure.

Yes, you must be at least 18, a US Citizen and legal resident of Florida..

From my knowledge,

Canadians, in particular, can spend 6 months in the US (in 1 trip OR Calendar year which ever comes first) those that own vehicles in Florida and have insurance and must have a Florida DL...included in this are Canadians that work and live here on whatever Visa they are on...Some get a DL or Florida ID Card just for ID purposes...

In order to obtain a Florida DL they must show their Canadian DL, Canadian Passport and other doc showing residence..such as utility bill, insurance bill....SSN (IF they have one)the information is sent to Tallahassee and to Homeland Security for verification.

In other words, it seems the DMV has a record of who is a Citizen and who is not...

Please, please, please be from Sarasota :seeya:

I agree!!! Very little news coverage and not one of my friends have even heard about this case. My family ( husband and daughter) when see me at the computer say, "Are you still reading about that Caylee case" but they know very little about it. Let us hope ElenaS

I would say the Panhandle or the SouthWest Florida
Certain areas of South Florida and North East Florida are a possibility

IMO OUT would included
Central Florida is Out
Central East such as Volusia and Brevard is Out
Central West-Tampa area is Out

ITA-Anywhere between Flagler County and Jax or on the panhandle-Pensicola, Tallahassee...Don't think Miami would be considered the same demographic make-up as Orlando, but maybe.

CM wants Paris. I say look North. Paris Ontario can provide everything you need in a jury. Canadians from the east swell Florida's population to double it's normal size every winter. Or Quebec City if he wants his jurors to speak like they live in Paris. Certainly we have rights under NAFTA or some such carpola to assist our American neighbours. You could seat a jury from Canada that spends more than half their year in whatever area of florida you want. Call us. We'll come. We've never heard of the case and certainly don't blog or have opinions about reports and stuff. I don't even know how I found this thread. Where am I and where are the recipes. :seeya: LOL! What Ticker? I don't even know what that is. :)

------------
CM. should know we also have a Paris Ohio.:floorlaugh:

I think I understand what you are saying. I can't be 100% sure, but I wouldn't think someone in the United States, here on something like a Temporary Visa, could serve on an American jury.

In the State of Florida, you can not register to vote in any State elections even if you have a Green Card. You have to be a U.S. born citizen.

I know they used to get the list for potential jurors by who registered to vote but now it seems they do it by Drivers Licenses so people who were born outside of the United States have been called to jury duty, and from what I have heard, once they learn you were not born in the U.S. you are immediately dismissed?

I would be interested to know the facts about this also?

Jurors used to be called from the Voter's Registration, but so many were not registering to vote to avoid jury selection. Florida changed this to Drivers License instead of Voters Registration because nearly everyone will have a drivers license.

- Florida residents at least 18 years of age who are U.S. citizens may be summoned for jury duty. You only serve in the county where you reside. Potential jurors are selected from a list of all residents with drivers licenses or identification cards compiled by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Affidavits are available for those who wish to be considered for jury duty but are not on record with DMV.

bumping because of the discussion of jury venue at today's hearing

It seemed to me HHJP was hinting at Baez that he is considering one of Baez's previous locations..IMHO.

Broward county? Does Broward have the same demographics as Orange county?

Demographics of Broward http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broward_County,_Florida#Demographics
Demographics of Orange County http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Florida

I'm not overly sure what they would look at to compare?
Race and income?

Broward. There were 741,043 housing units at an average density of 615 per square mile (237/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 70.57% White (58% were Non-Hispanic)[9] 20.54% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 2.25% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.00% from other races, and 3.35% from two or more races. 16.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,691, and the median income for a family was $50,531

Orange County As of the census[4] of 2000, there were 896,344 people, 336,286 households, and 220,267 families residing in the county. The population density was 988 people per square mile (381/km²). There were 361,349 housing units at an average density of 398 per square mile (154/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 68.59% White, 18.17% Black or African American, 0.34% Native American, 3.35% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 6.01% from other races, and 3.43% from two or more races. 18.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 74.7% spoke English, 17.3% Spanish and 1.7% French Creole as their first language.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,311, and the median income for a family was $47,159.

Demographics in Tampa are very close to Orlando. I'm going with Tampa :twocents:

I can see it now. Baez will go with Tampa and then ask for postponement until the High Speed Rail gets completed to minimize travel expenses and time.

After today's hearing and how the Judge schooled JB on jury selection...I am leaning towards Melbourne Florida, if not there, Titisville.

Judge quoted to JB about the Daniel Rowlings case, who during the penalty phase they had it in Gainsville. Exactly where the crime Rowlings plead guility to committing.

He also stated how you would be surprized at how many people do not read the newspaper or watch the 6 o'clock news. Therefore it is my opinion the Judge already gave hint to it is in the viewing area of this case. Titisville, (brevard county) is not but 1 hour or so drive from the beeline 520

Hmmm it would be a lot of work, but wonder if we could try to find the closest demographics to the Anthony's county..

I'm correct in thinking they currently reside in Orange County?

A jury of ICA`s peers hmmmmmm. She`s so unique it`s hard to say. :)

After today's hearing and how the Judge schooled JB on jury selection...I am leaning towards Melbourne Florida, if not there, Titisville.

Judge quoted to JB about the Daniel Rowlings case, who during the penalty phase they had it in Gainsville. Exactly where the crime Rowlings plead guility to committing.

He also stated how you would be surprized at how many people do not read the newspaper or watch the 6 o'clock news. Therefore it is my opinion the Judge already gave hint to it is in the viewing area of this case. Titisville, (brevard county) is not but 1 hour or so drive from the beeline 520
What did you make of BP`s reference to a main concern being the length of trial and if jurors could manage a trial of that length?
I understood the idea, just not how it related to an area of Florida where a jury pool might be selected from.

I am of the opinion that HHJP was not hinting anything today regarding where the jury will be selected from. He is trying his very best to keep that quiet... to the point that he won't even notify the attorney's until the week before. So I really don't think he is giving hints to anyone.

JMHO...

What did you make of BP`s reference to a main concern being the length of trial and if jurors could manage a trial of that length?
I understood the idea, just not how it related to an area of Florida where a jury pool might be selected from.

I could be wrong, kaRN, but I read that as a message to Baez that the location is not the issue as much as it is the length of time a juror would need to commit. Hence his comments about Danny Rolling. Don't know if Baez was understanding HHJP's message...

Baez was practically arguing with the judge and, IMO, made quite a fool out of himself. But then, what else is new?

It seemed to me HHJP was hinting at Baez that he is considering one of Baez's previous locations..IMHO.

Broward county? Does Broward have the same demographics as Orange county?

Demographics of Broward http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broward_County,_Florida#Demographics
Demographics of Orange County http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Florida

I'm not overly sure what they would look at to compare?
Race and income?

The median income for a household in the county was $41,691, and the median income for a family was $50,531

The median income for a household in the county was $41,311, and the median income for a family was $47,159.

Broward County is what I have thought for a while. I would put money on it(but I won't LMAO):twocents:

I'm betting the Panhandle.

That area wasn't my first choice, but at the hearing today HHJP said he had been trying to find any case where a Judge had been overturned due to his decision on Venue. He hadn't found one, which kind of makes me think he is going for a very conservative area,so maybe the Panhandle will be it- and expects some opposition from the Chief Whiner.. I can see him now saying 'Mr Baez,you are the one who asked for a change,of venue'- - he almost said that todoy when JB was trying to dictate to him as to Miami or Ft Lauderdale being his choice, he interrupted him and asked him if he wanted to seat a Jury in Orange County....

That area wasn't my first choice, but at the hearing today HHJP said he had been trying to find any case where a Judge had been overturned due to his decision on Venue. He hadn't found one, which kind of makes me think he is going for a very conservative area,so maybe the Panhandle will be it- and expects some opposition from the Chief Whiner.. I can see him now saying 'Mr Baez,you are the one who asked for a change,of venue'- - he almost said that todoy when JB was trying to dictate to him as to Miami or Ft Lauderdale being his choice, he interrupted him and asked him if he wanted to seat a Jury in Orange County....

---------
I agree with you ZsaZsa.I wonder did they tell Mr. Smart you dont have a choice?
Even I know that and ai never get anything right:crazy: If it were me I'd call his bluff and have it from Kissamee or Tampa!! But I feel mean toward him.LOL.After 3 years people arent even interested any more.Thats one of the reasons he stalled so much ~ how soon they forget!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renasalazar
Back