Where will the jury come from?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I did not hear anything today to make me change my opinion that the jury will be chosen from the west coast area of Florida. Naples, Clearwater, that area. I do not think it will be anywhere on the east coast because when I watch the news here in Central Fl. they will have stories from up and down the east coast, Tampa area, north to Gainesville, etc. but rarely do I hear stories from southwest FL.

the average incomes of broward and orange county are very close.
well, that according to wiki anyways..lol

What did you make of BP`s reference to a main concern being the length of trial and if jurors could manage a trial of that length?
I understood the idea, just not how it related to an area of Florida where a jury pool might be selected from.

kaRN, did you take that as meaning that he was looking for a nearby alternate venue?

Speaking as a one year US Citizen with many years as a green card holder I can tell you - I can most definitely sit on a jury.

One thing I'd like to mention. If I was green - as in didn't know the case - and saw JB's pontificating I would be thinking he was a Street Smart Johnny and he would turn me off. A thought - right?

Be careful, very careful of what you wish for JB.

What did you make of BP`s reference to a main concern being the length of trial and if jurors could manage a trial of that length?
I understood the idea, just not how it related to an area of Florida where a jury pool might be selected from.

I can see where the length of the trial would be a main concern AND how that might play into the choice of the county where the jury will be selected from.

Most of the jurors will likely have families - at least a spouse, and some with have children. It would be almost impossible for a juror to be expected to be completely isolated from their family for any lengthy period of time and this trial is expected to last 2 months.

So, in choosing a county from which the jury will be selected, one of the considerations must be the proximity of that county to Orange County where the trial will be held. With the jurors free on weekends, it can be expected that although they're sequestered, they will be able to visit with their families on the weekends. So the family members will have to travel from their homes to Orange County for the weekend. So the judge isn't going to choose a county that's 3 or 4 hours away, making it difficult on the juror's families to make the trip.

The juror's families will, of course, be told that they're not to discuss the case with the juror or ask questions about the case. The weekends will be spent as time together and visiting.

Although normally it would be hard to sit a jury willing to take 6-8 weeks off of their lives... with the unemployment rate in Florida, I don't think it is going to be as hard as they anticipate.

I was just comparing Broward County to Orange County and the demographics look pretty close to me.

Population
Orange County - 1,086,480
Broward Counry - 1,776,476

Person's 18-65
Orange County - 58.6%
Broward County - 56.4%

Person's 65 - older
Orange County - 9.6%
Broward County - 14.0%

White/non Hispanic
Orange County - 48.9%
Broward County - 46.2%

Black
Orange County - 20.9%
Broward County - 25.9%

Asian
Orange County - 4.7%
Broward County - 3.3%

Hispanic
Orange County - 25.7%
Broward County - 24.6%

High School Graduates -
Orange County - 81.8%
Broward County - 82.0%

Bachelors degree of higher
Orange County - 26.1%
Broward County - 24.5%

Home Ownership
Orange County - 60.7%
Broward County - 69.5%

Median value of owner-occupied housing
Orange County - $107,500
Broward County - $128,600

Median household income
Orange County - $50,674
Broward County - $51,594

Persons below poverty level
Orange County - 13.7%
Broward County - 12.0%

Jose just might get his way with Broward County.

The Judge mentioned gainesville when referring to the serial murder case in the early 90's that took place there...I'm wondering if this was a hint to the defense that he is leaning for gainesville. Maybe JB would be lucky enough to get a jury of 20 something year old men who would "fall" madly in love with ICA :sick:

I'll laugh my tail end off if it ends up being Polk County, and knowing my luck, DH will be called for jury duty, and he's the kind that if the judge tells him to never discuss the case, he'll take it to the grave (even after the trial is over)!

Although normally it would be hard to sit a jury willing to take 6-8 weeks off of their lives... with the unemployment rate in Florida, I don't think it is going to be as hard as they anticipate.

I was just comparing Broward County to Orange County and the demographics look pretty close to me.

Population
Orange County - 1,086,480
Broward Counry - 1,776,476

Person's 18-65
Orange County - 58.6%
Broward County - 56.4%

Person's 65 - older
Orange County - 9.6%
Broward County - 14.0%

White/non Hispanic
Orange County - 48.9%
Broward County - 46.2%

Black
Orange County - 20.9%
Broward County - 25.9%

Asian
Orange County - 4.7%
Broward County - 3.3%

Hispanic
Orange County - 25.7%
Broward County - 24.6%

High School Graduates -
Orange County - 81.8%
Broward County - 82.0%

Bachelors degree of higher
Orange County - 26.1%
Broward County - 24.5%

Home Ownership
Orange County - 60.7%
Broward County - 69.5%

Median value of owner-occupied housing
Orange County - $107,500
Broward County - $128,600

Median household income
Orange County - $50,674
Broward County - $51,594

Persons below poverty level
Orange County - 13.7%
Broward County - 12.0%

Jose just might get his way with Broward County.

Agreed. And how far is Broward from Orange? If it is within 2 hours, I'd put money that is where the Judge is going to go for the jury.

eta: googled and it is approx 289.98 kilometres (180.19 miles) 2-4 hour drive? google maps is killing me!

The Judge mentioned gainesville when referring to the serial murder case in the early 90's that took place there...I'm wondering if this was a hint to the defense that he is leaning for gainesville. Maybe JB would be lucky enough to get a jury of 20 something year old men who would "fall" madly in love with ICA :sick:

I was wondering the same thing. Alachua County isn't that far from Orange.

After today's hearing and how the Judge schooled JB on jury selection...I am leaning towards Melbourne Florida, if not there, Titisville.

Judge quoted to JB about the Daniel Rowlings case, who during the penalty phase they had it in Gainsville. Exactly where the crime Rowlings plead guility to committing.

He also stated how you would be surprized at how many people do not read the newspaper or watch the 6 o'clock news. Therefore it is my opinion the Judge already gave hint to it is in the viewing area of this case. Titisville, (brevard county) is not but 1 hour or so drive from the beeline 520

Speaking of people not reading the paper or watching tv = Judge Perry could have used as an example, their very own co-council !

I think the demographic baez might be looking for is single parent households.
Not the typical married with children demographics.

I don't think that it was a hint at all. Judge Perry is keeping all info close to the vest ~

I think it was just an example, a loud and clear one, that yes Mr. Baez, a jury can be found whether you believe it or not, like it or not.

Just as Judge Perry told Baez to "continue", as in keep doing your research, just as you already have done, the same as I am doing, and, we'll cross your bridge when we come to it and you CAN be prepared.

He$$, if I wanted to throw some money away, I'd bet that Baez already has his papers all lined up to file for when we find out where the jury is going to come from.
Baez only asked for more days to stay consistant with the flow of his other late filed things ~ I mean, how would it look that he is given 2 days to reply, and he is at the court house before the end of the day, or, first thing on Tuesday AM with papers in hand??

Don't think it will happen like that ~ watch.:floorlaugh:

I bet they are sitting in his office right now, a few of them actually, all catching dust and just ready to hand in.
The only thing that would be funnier, is if they are signed, and, with a "current" date, which upon handing it in, will make it an inaccurate date.
He's just that bumbling ~

I can see his train of thought right now.
"By God, I WILL get THIS one right".
All signatures aquired, check ~
Spelling {!} check
Notary current ~ check
Dates ~ Check and DONE.:great:

Well, his client wants someplace nice and warm, with a beach.......LOL...

Is that as in "Peggy and Al Bundy"???

Cause, Peggy would have seen nothing wrong with duct tape.......well, neither would Al I guess on some days ~!!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Regarding the venue - I heard HHJP say a couple of things - first to JB - it was go ahead and object - I know you are going to - however there isn't any case law anywhere to suggest an objection to a venue choice has ever been overturned, so go for it but it isn't going to do you any good, and it isn't going to hold up the trial.

And the second thing I heard HHJP say is he is looking for a county and it's population who would be the least affected by being sequestered during a long trial. So that pretty excludes families with small children, families who cannot have their earnings or job security interrupted by a lengthy trial, people who own/work in their own businesses and are indispensable, and perhaps retired folk who require some kind of ongoing treatments.

And yes, I understand that serving on a jury does not qualify someone to be fired because they are away from their jobs, but...and I assume people are paid a small stipend for jury service like in Canada, but not nearly what their salary would be.

And to clarify - I was paraphrasing when I say "what I heard HHJP say".

Too bad, so sad JB - going to get what you need, not what you want.

Is that as in "Peggy and Al Bundy"???

Cause, Peggy would have seen nothing wrong with duct tape.......well, neither would Al I guess on some days ~!!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

An interesting read

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/9/1578

The two U.S. administrative records sample studies of filicide (reported separately from neonaticide) found that the mothers were often poor, full-time caregivers who were socially isolated and may themselves have been victims of domestic abuse. Neglectful and abusive mothers often had problems with substance abuse as well.

OHHH but wait!! you're right!
Mothers who committed filicide were more frequently married,

I can see the defense asking the potential juror. How much money they earn. Have you ever been in a domestic abuse situation?. How is your relationship with your parents? Do you do drugs?

Hoping to get that perfect juror that will associate with the likes of ICA..*cringe*

In Brevard County you have Patrick AFB, and loads of retireed military. Many of which could afford to be a juror of a long length of time. I'm from that area and know Melbourne area very well.

Wish I was still living there (laugh) My husband is Retired and with this economy so bad he lost his job but we are able to live off of his retirement check. (tight living though but able) There are many like that in Brevard County right now.

The place also has plenty of hotels, Beach where the jury can be taken to on the weekend also. Not a far commute for attorney's if they are needed back at home for other reasons.

Large enough court room to hold the press ect.

Melbourne area has the exact same demographic's I believe as Orlando too.

However, Titisville is the northen tip of the County, and I do not believe they get WESH there. Not sure, on that been a while since I visited Titisville.

Easy also for the court to allow family member's visit the jury on weekends also.

Daytona, is my 2nd guess.

An interesting read

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/9/1578

I can see the defense asking the potential juror. How much money they earn. Have you ever been in a domestic abuse situation?. How is your relationship with your parents? Do you do drugs?

Hoping to get that perfect juror that will associate with the likes of ICA..*cringe*

I don't see that description fits ICA AT ALL! She was not a full time caregiver, she was not poor (her parents were providing a car, a home, food, and sitter service) and she was not isolated - exactly the opposite. I hardly think ICA fits into the typical situation described as "domestic abuse" regardless of the scraps she may have had with Cindy, and her recreational drug use would disqualify her also.

I believe this description is for the ghetto welfare mom who is actually addicted to drugs and has left a partner who beat either her or the children. Someone with real problems. God help the defense if they use this one.
People on the jury will laugh out loud.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maym