Where will the jury come from?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree. The most likely areas are Sarasota County (Sarasota/Venice) or Manatee County (Bradenton). Both Counties have a good sized population that is diverse in nationalities, income, and age. They both have a decent nightlife (that would appeal to Casey's demographic... A.K.A. peers) that includes Adult Entertainment Clubs (since DC thinks that a dead stripper was in the trunk of Casey's car) :innocent: Okay... I was being a little snippy with that last part. :innocent:

They are also a lot closer to the Orlando area without being too close. I do not believe they share the same News channels as I have been to Orlando numerous times for several days and I do not believe I have ever heard any mention of Sarasota/Venice/Bradenton being mentioned.

But since we are guessing and I want to try and win a prize... put me down for Manatee County. You can have Sarasota County.

Done !

Now, to figure out a prize..........hmmmmmm......

I'd hope the Jury is from Naples. :)

I don't have a problem with Naples being chosen... although that community is dealing with their own heart-wrenching missing child's case. Little Adji Desir :frown: A lot of coverage lately on him because the anniversary of him missing just passed. Could mean that people have been more focused on that case than the Caylee case though... which would make for great potential jury members.

I just think it may be too far.

So far, it looks like we all agree that the jury will not come from the East Coast of Florida. I could see HHJP going with an area like Palm Beach County, but he probably would have said bused in, rather than over. (By the way Alsoshocked, that was a great observation!). We lived in Palm Beach County before we came up to the Orlando area and still know a few people down there. While most of them have heard of the case, very few have followed it closely. In fact, I think once poor little Caylee was found, the majority of people stopped paying attention, figuring the right person was in jail and the 'mystery' was over.

As to the prize to the person who guesses correctly - how about the right to brag, but you would do that anyway, right? :)

Do you think you could be impartial?

I'm thinking panhandle, specifically to include Tallahassee (I HOPE!!) Oh how I would love to be one of those jurors. :praying:

Demographics in Tampa are very close to Orlando. I'm going with Tampa :twocents:

I think they have shot themselves in the foot by demanding a change of venue- it limits the demographic they can select from to those who are retired or able to leave home and be sequestered for 8 weeks. There is a limited pool of people who can/will do that...

So far, it looks like we all agree that the jury will not come from the East Coast of Florida. I could see HHJP going with an area like Palm Beach County, but he probably would have said bused in, rather than over. (By the way Alsoshocked, that was a great observation!). We lived in Palm Beach County before we came up to the Orlando area and still know a few people down there. While most of them have heard of the case, very few have followed it closely. In fact, I think once poor little Caylee was found, the majority of people stopped paying attention, figuring the right person was in jail and the 'mystery' was over.

As to the prize to the person who guesses correctly - how about the right to brag, but you would do that anyway, right? :)

bbm
Other than my first 2 picks of the Panhandle and SouthWest Florida I also think Palm Beach county, and even Broward (Ft Lauderdale) could be possibilities...

CM wants Paris. I say look North. Paris Ontario can provide everything you need in a jury. Canadians from the east swell Florida's population to double it's normal size every winter. Or Quebec City if he wants his jurors to speak like they live in Paris. Certainly we have rights under NAFTA or some such carpola to assist our American neighbours. You could seat a jury from Canada that spends more than half their year in whatever area of florida you want. Call us. We'll come. We've never heard of the case and certainly don't blog or have opinions about reports and stuff. I don't even know how I found this thread. Where am I and where are the recipes. :seeya: LOL! What Ticker? I don't even know what that is. :)

I think they have shot themselves in the foot by demanding a change of venue- it limits the demographic they can select from to those who are retired or able to leave home and be sequestered for 8 weeks. There is a limited pool of people who can/will do that...

I don't know? The unemployment rate down here in Florida is pretty high. I think you can find quite a few people who would love to have a couple months of not having to worry about paying for food, housing, etc... Plus it could mean $$$$ in the long run. Book deals, interviews, etc... I hate to even bring that up, but it is the reality in cases like these.

:floorlaugh:
CM wants Paris. I say look North. Paris Ontario can provide everything you need in a jury. Canadians from the east swell Florida's population to double it's normal size every winter. Or Quebec City if he wants his jurors to speak like they live in Paris. Certainly we have rights under NAFTA or some such carpola to assist our American neighbours. You could seat a jury from Canada that spends more than half their year in whatever area of florida you want. Call us. We'll come. We've never heard of the case and certainly don't blog or have opinions about reports and stuff. I don't even know how I found this thread. Where am I and where are the recipes. :seeya: LOL! What Ticker? I don't even know what that is. :)

I think Casey would prefer Ireland? They have those cute little Irish accents. Sorry Canada!

I'm thinking panhandle, specifically to include Tallahassee (I HOPE!!) Oh how I would love to be one of those jurors. :praying:

I think the Panhandle would be a great choice for jury selection for several reasons. For example, there are A LOT of people in the Panhandle who do not have a computer (it's true of my area...maybe not Tally) and A LOT of people that do not follow this case or much news outside of their local area. I'm from the Florida Panhandle (very near Tally...but I live in WA for now). I'm still a "legal Florida resident" because of laws regarding military and their dependents, so I can also get called for jury duty. My Mama told me that I got a letter for Jury Duty this week and I told her it was too early for Casey's jury selection so I didn't want this one. :crazy: I was excused because I'm out-of-state... even though I would have loved to sit on a jury.

The Panhandle is also pro-DP (for the most part).

Do you think you could be impartial?

Your question wasn't directed at me, but I do believe I could be impartial. I may have an opinion, one way or another, but I do know I have the ability to set-aside my opinion and would vote guilty/not guilty based on the evidence presented. Someone's life is on the line, afterall. In other words, if I'm on the jury (and I won't be) the prosecution better bring it or I would not convict (ala OJ Simpson).

I think Casey would prefer Ireland? They have those cute little Irish accents. Sorry Canada!

Hehe I met a gal from Ireland from Levi Page's FB. Trust me they DON'T want Ireland! ;)

I agree with Lola on her one location of Sarasota/Venice area.

Though it is a highly retired age area, this would give the first needed requirement of "no hardship", a pass and a go.

Also, there is a good size of younger, family people that are self employeed, etc, that could possibly get away, since they are involved in working from home via the internet, though, would not have kept up with the happenings of the case.
Our ex-daughter in law is an example of a work at home business woman, conducting all her work on line ~
And they would have diverse, since many have retired in this area from all over the country.

, we'll see........
i agree that sarasota or bradenton is close enough and the age is retired most so. i also consider the lake county area the villages as a lot of retired and medical staff there. if the focus us on older these areas are good. if younger i say the yuppie sections of orlando - hunters creek dr philllips areas.

You know, if they ever did select a jury from Lee County (I live in Fort Myers, Florida) and I was chosen to appear in court for jury selection and I found myself sitting in the same room with Casey Anthony (would she be there for jury selection?) or Jose Baez, I would immediately raise my hand and asked to be dismissed... I might even throw up. I know myself enough to know that I could not sit on a jury in this case. I have already made up my mind and there is nothing that can convince me that Casey is not responsible for murdering Caylee.

I really feel bad for all the people who are going to sit on this jury. They are going to see and hear things that will be with them for the rest of their lives. Things that we will never see (autopsy photographs, etc...).

May can't get here soon enough!
i have been in the courtroom for some hearings. i would assume i would be dismissed as a juror and perhaps anyone who writes in here or other blogs too. i would be shocked to be called but would do it. its not over till its over and i have not closed my mind to all possible surprises.

What city or area of Florida do you think the jury will be selected from?

I think Judge Perry will look to the West Coast of Florida. I do not think he will go anywhere on the East Coast - Jacksonville down to the Keys.
My best guess would be Clearwater, Naples, that area.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks, especially my fellow Florida Tax payers!

I would guess around the Panhandle. Where ever they come from I hope some wise reporter will be sure and do an article or 2, regarding what Andrea Lyons thinks of juries. Even though she is no longer part of the defense team, her words represent their thoughts as well. And she will be available for consultation.

This was posted on the legal thread, and since I am not an attorney, I didn't want to say anything on that thread. I'm honestly not sure where what I have to say should be posted, so mods, if you need to move this, please do so.

Macushla wrote:
If someone from Canada, Mexico or any other country is living here in the US legally and full time, can they be called for jury duty? Is there anything in the requirements (generally) for a juror be be a citizen? I can see not having someone serve who does not speak or understand English well, but other than that, see no reason for them not to serve. Do you think either side in a trial (criminal or civil) would rather not have a non citizen on the jury for some reason?

Something someone said on another thread got me thinking about this.

I just had to comment on this and I truly hope I will not offend anyone.

Serving on a jury in the United States is a privilege we have as an American citizen. I would certainly hope that if a person is in this country illegally, no matter which county they live in, that they would have ZERO opportunity to serve as a juror.

:twocents:

Please, please, please be from Sarasota :seeya:

Do you need a "secret house/pet sitter" should you be called??

I would work for free, and, sometimes sneak up and not even wave or wink at ya!!

This was posted on the legal thread, and since I am not an attorney, I didn't want to say anything on that thread. I'm honestly not sure where what I have to say should be posted, so mods, if you need to move this, please do so.

I just had to comment on this and I truly hope I will not offend anyone.

Serving on a jury in the United States is a privilege we have as an American citizen. I would certainly hope that if a person is in this country illegally, no matter which county they live in, that they would have ZERO opportunity to serve as a juror.

:twocents:

I'm sure that you have to be a legal resident of the state, but, not sure how this apply since many people do winter over in Florida, and, are required to have a Florida drivers license if they spend a certain amount of time in Florida during the year.

As far as your other question; any person serving on any jury, must be a citizen of the United States, and legal, I'm quite sure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loves2giggle
Back