Who was George Brody?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the basic info I found, using this link: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...V=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2&_80004000=George+L+Brody

1910 United States Federal Census
Census & Voter Lists

View Image
hoverArrow.gif

Preview

Name:George L Brody
alt_srch.gif
Age in 1910:4Estimated Birth Year:abt 1906Household Members:NameAgeGeorge A Brody42Minnie E Brody40George L Brody4Elizabeth Brody2 9/12There's more to see

A picture of the original document

View
Original
Record

And things like

BirthplaceRelation to Head of HouseFather's NameFather's Birth PlaceMother's NameMother's Birth PlaceHome in 1910Marital StatusRaceGenderSign up now

Name: George L Brody
alt_srch.gif
Birth: abt 1906 - locationResidence: 1910 - city, Rockingham, New Hampshire

Based on the news link raf found, I think the 1905 birth year is accurate. Are you sure it is Rockingham NH, and not someplace in NC within the county Rockingham? I didn't see any other George L's with the same birth year listed.... and there is no George L with the same birth year listed in the SS death index.... hmmmmm... I wonder if there is anything else in the BFH with the middle initial L. GB didn't seem to make up middle initials on any other located documentation... so there is no reason for me to believe the L is not accurate.

I noticed the same family was in Wabash County IN in 1920... but could not find them earlier than 1910 or later than 1920.

I think we need to find the (younger sister?) Elizabeth.. we need a married name. I had an appx birth year of 1907 for Elizabeth since she was 9/12 mo's at the time the census was taken. I don't have ancestry either....

raf, can you post copies of the 1910 and 1920 census where this George Brody appears? Thanks!

Originally, I understood it to be the 15th of August. There is a note in the Squibb notes about a b-day suit for Mr Natural and was dated 8/11/70.

Off topic here now: Is there a way to get over 500 WS members to help out on this case like there is on Caylee Anthony's case? :rolleyes: I, for one, would rather help the mother of a missing child who doesn't make up stories and lies to LE. Thank you, Annasmom, for being who you are!

Sherlock,:blowkiss:

Thank you for finding this--I am guessing you have ancestry? :)
Thanks to Raf for finding this information.

1910 Census
New Hampshire, Rockingham County, Salem township

Brody, George A. Minnie E. George L. Elizabeth
Head Wife Son Daughter
Place of birth:
New Hampshire Massachusetts New Hampshire New Hampshire
Place of birth for husband's father and wife's father
Ireland Ireland
Place of birth for husband's mother and wife's mother
Ireland Ireland
No.of years in present marriage: 7
No. of Children Born/now living: 3/2

General farm
Able to read: Yes Yes
Able to write: Yes Yes
(Farm) Owned or rented: Owned
(Farm) Owned free or mortgaged: Owned free
Number of farm schedule: 103

I'm sure Annasmom will respond to your post when she reads it. I don't think she was meaning "Indian" when she posted about "Native", but I may be wrong.
Thanks Sherlock...I see that now.
I still think the name Eifee has some strong meaning to GB and then to see Eifee's middle initial is M. Margaret possibly?

Thanks Sherlock...I see that now.
I still think the name Eifee has some strong meaning to GB and then to see Eifee's middle initial is M. Margaret possibly?

I wonder if Eifee was somehow a childhood mispronunciation of family nickname or pet name for Elizabeth?

In the 1920's census, there is an Elizabeth Brody listed with a birthdate of about 1907 who lives in Wabash, Indiana.

by SherlockJr

Raf, Am I understanding this correctly?
1. The GB from the 1920 PA census is the same GB from the 1930 CA census.
second my opinion: YES

2. The GB mentioned in the article dated Oct 1941 is not the same GB from either census. Because of the age difference.
Yes, it is another....

And most people here are leaning more to the #2 GB as being our guy? He is listing his address as 1724 San Pablo Ave. LMAO, it's a diner! A greasy spoon! (Note: there is a San Pablo Ave in San Francisco, but the house numbers only go up to 200)
I never saying that the 2° GB is our guy, it is possible, only possible.. the address is of Berkeley and not of San Francisco... (from what I can understand)

raf

raf, the info on ancestry.com lists an estimated or approximate birth year of 1906. This is listed in both the 1910 and 1920 federal census. do you have a membership for ancestry.com? How/where do you access your info for the census records?

Most of the insurance policies were accidental death policies which were offered/heavily solicited with various credit card companies. Back then, each month an offer to purchase this type of insurance was included monthly with the persons statement. I don't think GB was so knowledgable about insurance as George Waters was concerned about making sure GB was able to financially sustain himself upon GW's death.

ETA: Awesome that you found that 1941 article... no one else has found it in all these years... you rock!
I have access to ancestry.com.... but I cannot find a GB in California, matching with GB data of 1941 Berkeley article; I found a George Brady, not Brody but Brady and born in 1899... married in Oakland at Jessie Pangburn.. it is no the same GB of 1941 Berkeley article... also I found another GB born in 1903 Pennsylvania, hebrew, son of russian jews; I found all censuses availables abt this other GB.... single until 1930....
but are so many GB in the USA! it is impossible to say with precision something...

we have only a sure trace: the GB pictures.. and this man we must find!
Raf

Good idea...I did a shameless plug over there!!

Originally, I understood it to be the 15th of August. There is a note in the Squibb notes about a b-day suit for Mr Natural and was dated 8/11/70.

Off topic here now: Is there a way to get over 500 WS members to help out on this case like there is on Caylee Anthony's case? :rolleyes: I, for one, would rather help the mother of a missing child who doesn't make up stories and lies to LE. Thank you, Annasmom, for being who you are!

I agree Cubby, I have been here awhile and I still worry that I am sending people off in the wrong direction... :)

Off topic here now: Is there a way to get over 500 WS members to help out on this case like there is on Caylee Anthony's case? :rolleyes: I, for one, would rather help the mother of a missing child who doesn't make up stories and lies to LE. Thank you, Annasmom, for being who you are![/quote]

thanks, I have the 23rd on my brain for some reason. My bold. Your sentiments have been expressed numerous times throughout WS Sherlock. Even if we could get Nancy Grace to give up an entire HOUR of her show, just one hour, to dedicate to missing children and not mention the Anthony case would be wonderful!

There are new members slowly trickeling to other threads... and honestly, most new members here are a little intimidated/shy to post. Even some real oldies have made that comment. I read here for a good 5 months or so before even attempting to join and didn't jump into thread for some time. (other than the countdown from a million which I felt comfy joining in immediately to get to know people here first. ) :blowkiss:

GB had no trace of a foreign accent. I am sure that he was born in America (not Native American), probably somewhere in the northeast, not the South, and, in answer to Raf's question, no, I do not believe he was Jewish.
ok dear Annasmom!
raf

Here is the basic info I found, using this link: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...V=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2&_80004000=George+L+Brody

1910 United States Federal Census
Census & Voter Lists

View Image
hoverArrow.gif

Preview

Name:George L Brody
alt_srch.gif
Age in 1910:4Estimated Birth Year:abt 1906Household Members:NameAgeGeorge A Brody42Minnie E Brody40George L Brody4Elizabeth Brody2 9/12There's more to see

A picture of the original document

View
Original
Record

And things like

BirthplaceRelation to Head of HouseFather's NameFather's Birth PlaceMother's NameMother's Birth PlaceHome in 1910Marital StatusRaceGenderSign up now

Name: George L Brody
alt_srch.gif
Birth: abt 1906 - locationResidence: 1910 - city, Rockingham, New Hampshire

1910 George L Brody -Salem, Rockingham, NH

1920 George L Brody -Salem, Rockingham, NH ( same person, but of age 19)
bye, Raf

Attachments

• 1910 george L brody new hampshire.jpg
    1910 george L brody new hampshire.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 1920 george L brody new hampshire.jpg
    1920 george L brody new hampshire.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 40
I agree Cubby, I have been here awhile and I still worry that I am sending people off in the wrong direction... :)

Not sending people off...

There are 26 people viewing this thread right now!

:woohoo::woohoo:

Here it is:

GEORGE BRODY, MARGARET KUKODA
Listings in San Francisco City Directory
(Taken from Joe Ford’s handwritten notes dated March 30, 1982)

1945-46: George Brody, 480 Ellis
(Brody not in 1948-49 Directory)
1951 George & Marian Brody clk. r. 1507 Cal
1953 Kukoda Margt nurse 1905 Fulton Apt. 5
(No listing for Brody in 1953)
1955-56: Brody Geo. r. 480 Ellis
1957: Margt. Kukoda, agt. for Stroll-O-Chair Display Co. h. 3009 Mission, Spt. 310
(No listing for Brody)
1958: Kukoda, Margt. M (Oriental & French Imports) r. 3019 Mission
1959: No listing for Brody, Kukoda or Mary Kay
1960: Mary E. Kay, 3141 Franklin, Apr. 4. No Kukoda, no Brody listed
1961: Mary Kay, r. 1006 Noe, Apt. 3
1962: Same listing
1963: Mary Kay, r. 1006 Noe, Apt. 3
1965: Not in directory
1966: Kay, Mary M. (widow of John) dir Beeline Fashion Home, h 1006 Noe.

Rent receipts for 1006 Noe St., Apt. 3, from July 7, 1966 to Jan. 10, 1967:
One dated 7-7-67 paid by Brody; all others paid by Mary Kay
Matthew H. Reyburn, owner of building, signed receipts.
Reyburn confirmed in talk to Joe Ford March 29, 1982, that Brody and “Mary Kay” were living together at that address since before he bought the building in 1962. Brody moved out shortly after “Mary Kay” died. Said MK had some sort of cosmetics business. He didn’t believe Brody worked anywhere. Rent was paid in cash. He said Mary Kay drove a Buick. He couldn’t remember ever seeing Brody drive.

A physician at San Francisco General Hospital says that as of Aug. 19, 1966, George Brody was visiting someone in Ward 34 named M. M. Kukoda, as well as a patient named Jessie Evans, 88 Sixth Street, Delta Hotel. Dr. Love was Kukoda’s physician. George Waters was an intern in charge of Kukoda and reported on her case to Brody, who had power of attorney for Kukoda. Physician said Brody was aged 55-60 at that time, was heavy-set, with grey hair.

In George Waters’ papers was an Occidental Life Insurance Company premium notice for Mary Kay, policy 4167942, addressed to Mary Kay at 1006 Noe. It was postmarked May 10, 1967 and had a due date of March 11, 1967. It had been forwarded to the Public Administrator at 1212 Market Street, San Francisco 94102, stamped received May 12, 1967. Brody’s name and the Otis Hotel Address was written on the back.

Margaret Kukoda died Aug. 30, 1967 at age 50.
The unclaimed property ($16,970.09) from Bank of America in Oakland, listed George Brody's address as 1955 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland.

Following the main trace (abt GNB) however I found a article of 1941 abt a George Brody in Berkeley, CA (by Oakland Tribune):

Look here!

Thank you for the census records raf!

does anyone besides me think the name looks more like Brady than Brody? The following name is Brown and the a and o look very different....

Eta: It looks like Brody in 1910 and Brady in 1920... errrr! We really need to find some other info on this family!

I agree. I believe it is the same family, though. First names are the same.

Did anyone notice that in the 1930 census George A. (the father) has a new wife by the name of May E. Brady. Perhaps Minnie died? Or they got divorced?

Thank you for the census records raf!

does anyone besides me think the name looks more like Brady than Brody? The following name is Brown and the a and o look very different....

Eta: It looks like Brody in 1910 and Brady in 1920... errrr! We really need to find some other info on this family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member