Why Burke's Voice on 911 Call Is The Smoking Gun

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
little1 said:
There are many reasons that this case went wrong, he is not one of them, IMO. You know, if we went by record alone, Smit would blow every detective on this case out of the water.

Which record are you talking about Little1? Are you talking about Smit's record for STEALING from the people he works for? Yeah, Smit got lucky...the same idiot who hired him (Hunter) was still in office, or Smit would have been taken away in irons and thrown in jail for stealing case evidence.

Not only is Smit a delusional old coot who helped the killers get away, he's a common petty thief.

Toltec said:
Steve heard the 911 tape in it's entirety and why would he lie about hearing Burke's voice on the tape? If he claimed to hear Patsy say "Help me Jesus" (WHICH IS CLEARLY HEARD ON THE TAPE) then why would he lie about hearing Burke and John?
WHY LIE????

Exactly right Toltec. Steve Thomas had no reason to lie about the 911 tape. What's more, people don't realize that it takes time to produce a book, print it, and get it on store shelves. What if Thomas HAD lied and the 911 tape was released to the public a week or two before his book went on sale. Wouldn't he have looked stupid. I don't think Thomas or anyone else would have taken that chance.

Thomas' transcript follows the released 911 tape perfectly. There is no reason to doubt John and Burke are on the original 911 recording.

Shylock said:
Exactly right Toltec. Steve Thomas had no reason to lie about the 911 tape.

Correct. And there were others in addition to Steve who heard the enhanced tape. Patsy's, John's, and Burke's voices are on the end of that original tape brought back from Aerospace Corporation. There were no dissenters among those who heard it.

The BPD kept the 911 tape evidence a top secret, and didn't even trust the D.A.'s office. They kept it from Alex Hunter until after the interviews because they were afraid Hunter would tip off the Ramseys and enable the three of them, John, Patsy, and Burke, to avoid the trap during the interviews.

JMO

Shylock said:
Which record are you talking about Little1? Are you talking about Smit's record for STEALING from the people he works for? Yeah, Smit got lucky...the same idiot who hired him (Hunter) was still in office, or Smit would have been taken away in irons and thrown in jail for stealing case evidence.

Not only is Smit a delusional old coot who helped the killers get away, he's a common petty thief.

Um, his record of solving cases. Duh. He was kown for going back in and re reading case files to find anything missed before. That is usually common in a cold case file. Duh. It is also common in a regular homocide, which Eller did not require his detectives to do. Duh. If you call that stealing, fine by me.

MANY, MANY, MANY people in this case leaked to the press, including the BPD. All of them in fact. I don't know what you mean by stealing. WHat evidence did he steal?

little1 said:
Um, his record of solving cases. Duh. He was kown for going back in and re reading case files to find anything missed before. That is usually common in a cold case file. Duh. It is also common in a regular homocide, which Eller did not require his detectives to do. Duh. If you call that stealing, fine by me.
I don't know what you mean by stealing. WHat evidence did he steal?

Smit was not known for anything--you know nothing about him. He got lucky one time in the Heather Dawn Church case when he discovered a letter from a Florida LE agency in the case file that suggested they look at one perticular suspect. That letter had been overlooked and the suspect turned out to be the killer.

You don't even know about Smit stealing case evidence when he resigned from the Ramsey case:
"When Smit left the District Attorney's Office, he took electronic copies of several crime-scene photos and other evidence with him."
http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2001/26lrams.html

Professional? - Hardy...Smit is nothing but a common petty thief. If his buddy Hunter wasn't DA, Smit would have been carted off to jail. Hunter dropped the case against Smit.

Shylock said:
Smit was not known for anything--you know nothing about him. He got lucky one time in the Heather Dawn Church case when he discovered a letter from a Florida LE agency in the case file that suggested they look at one perticular suspect. That letter had been overlooked and the suspect turned out to be the killer.

You don't even know about Smit stealing case evidence when he resigned from the Ramsey case:
"When Smit left the District Attorney's Office, he took electronic copies of several crime-scene photos and other evidence with him."

Professional? - Hardy...Smit is nothing but a common petty thief. If his buddy Hunter wasn't DA, Smit would have been carted off to jail. Hunter dropped the case against Smit.

I am going to use the website above to prove you wrong. (Did SMit dump you in a past life or something You have alot of anger issues regarding him)

http://66.147.65.175/news/jon46.htm

This states, and this is his record, I don't think very many refute this, out of 200 homocides he worked over his career, he solved around 9 out of 10. You cannot deny this. I don't know what personal vendetta you have for the manm, but you really need to let go.

little1 said:
out of 200 homocides he worked over his career, he solved around 9 out of 10.

LOL...What, you think THAT is a good record?
In case you can't figure it out, that translates to a 96% career FAILURE rate!
I sure hope you don't invest any money with a stock broker that has a 96% failure rate, or you'll be living out of a shopping cart and selling pencils under a bridge somewhere!...Hahaha

Shylock said:

Smit is still looking for the proverbial fingerprint on the window.

My personal feelings on Smit is that he knows that the Ramsey's are guilty and that he flat-out refuses to admit it.

The Ramseys aren't still under the umbrella of suspicion for nothing.

River said:
My personal feelings on Smit is that he knows that the Ramsey's are guilty and that he flat-out refuses to admit it.

I disagree about Smit River--- I think he really believes they are Not Guilty

Socks

SisterSocks said:
I disagree about Smit River--- I think he really believes they are Not Guilty
I think he believes they are innocent the way some kids believe in Santa... they don't really believe but badly want to, so they don't put much effort into figuring out what the truth is.

River said:
That does not comport with his past behavior or his fine reputation amongst his fellow investigators. Do you think DA-Hunter selected Smit from that final list of 28 candidates because Hunter wanted some absolute dolt? Until the re-invigorated DA-Keenan investigation, Lou Smit was working three days a week as a sheriff's investigator in Colorado Springs: do you think the sheriff there wanted an investigator who was stupid?

Toth said:
That does not comport with his past behavior or his fine reputation amongst his fellow investigators. Do you think DA-Hunter selected Smit from that final list of 28 candidates because Hunter wanted some absolute dolt? Until the re-invigorated DA-Keenan investigation, Lou Smit was working three days a week as a sheriff's investigator in Colorado Springs: do you think the sheriff there wanted an investigator who was stupid?

Well, I tried to tell Shylock of his record, she said he had a 96% failure rate at solving cases.

Smit had, and still has, an excellent reputation among law enforcement. During his career he solved "90 percent of the 136 homicides he investigated in his career." You can disagree with him about his conclusions regarding the Ramsey case, but his reputation stands--he had a fine career as a detective.

It only takes minutes to search and find articles about Smit's uncanny ability to see what others missed, and be able to solve crimes. The Church case was just one of more than a hundred such cases.

It was because Smith had such an impressive record for solving homicides that the Boulder district attorney hired him on the Ramsey murder case. -
http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2002/10/01/48hours/whoswho523935_0_4_person.shtml

That's what I said, apparently some have a problem with Smit. Regardless, his record speaks for itself.

Well whatever Lou Smit believes...he is still actively on the case. He is on a personal mission to find the killer. Although he lied when he showed the country a picture of a wide-open basement window, I believe he is passionate about this case as is Steve Thomas.

River said:

A newspaper article in the Denver Post about 2 years ago detailed Smit's activities in an interview. He decribed how he would work on the case often all evening, using his computer. He said that he had 60-70 people that needed to be checked out. Why make a statement like that if he was doing otherwise and it became known to his frends and acquaintances, making him look bad.

vicktor said:
Why make a statement like that if he was doing otherwise and it became known to his frends and acquaintances, making him look bad.

Because he's off his rocker looking for the marbles he lost while playing with a deck that's short a few loose screws. :crazy:

In the real world:

Even the best detectives with beautiful records and great respect from their peers make mistakes and errors in judgement

Even the best doctors with impeccable records make wrong diagnoses

Even the best accountants can make a mathematical error

So no matter what Smit's record in the past may be, he IMO, has made an error in this case

In the real world:

Even parents with no DOCUMENTED pathology or mental illness or depression can snap and do really bad things.

The real world doesn't work by statistical odds every time

LovelyPigeon said:
Smit had, and still has, an excellent reputation among law enforcement. During his career he solved "90 percent of the 136 homicides he investigated in his career.

LovelyPigeon, I suggest you and Little1 get together and get your numbers right. Little1 says Smit only solved 9 or 10 of the 200 cases he worked on and she posted some article to prove it. That's a 96 percent career failure rate. HARDLY anything to be bragging about. Most people would call that one of the worst employment records they've ever heard.

Here are Little1's exact words, copied from her post:
Little1 said:
http://66.147.65.175/news/jon46.htm
This states, and this is his record, I don't think very many refute this, out of 200 homocides he worked over his career, he solved around 9 out of 10. You cannot deny this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back