Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was thinking too about suggestions that if the JD was part of a gang of robbers and that his cohorts would not come forward as to not draw attention. I can see that but think that no one operates in a bubble-- even if you were connected to some car theft group you would also visit a pharmacy , corner store, go to a laundromat, pass the mailman Etc. People with casual contact would not be wary of calling in if they saw the news story back in the day. Were there any tips at all at that time?

Agreed 100%.

As far as tips, what I was told was that there wasn't anything substantial.

I think one of the biggest issues is that this case crossed state lines. As far as Gurnee (IL) PD would be concerned, the stolen car was located (case closed) and the body/identity is a Waukesha County (WI) issue because the crash and death occurred there even though our guy clearly was in Illinois looking for work, and possibly housing. From prior conversations I get the impression that there wasn't a lot of collaboration on this case between jurisdictions other than a few initial inquiries about his identity and the property found in the vehicle. I'd love to find out what Gurnee PD has on this case...if anything is still on file...

Handwriting proficiency is not tied to education. It is tied to writing only.

Most people now rarely write anything throughout their lives. So they usually have terrible penmanship. People who also work hard with their hands will have difficulty griping a pen down the road.

This John Doe's handwriting speaks to me that he doesn't write much and doesn't have a firm grasp on his pen. I tried writing the words he wrote down, and they looked identical. What I did was write in block capitals with a loose grip.

One of my earliest jobs involved a lot of writing, so it was only natural my handwriting improved tremendously from doing it 8 hours a day for 5 days a week for quite a while. I could write cursive with impunity and flow akin to a raging river now, as compared to only block capitals like this John Doe in my school years.

Misspelling could be from memorising words phonetically.

(...)I can see that but think that no one operates in a bubble-- even if you were connected to some car theft group you would also visit a pharmacy , corner store, go to a laundromat, pass the mailman Etc. People with casual contact would not be wary of calling in if they saw the news story back in the day. (...)

This is exactly what boggled my mind when I first started reading the UID threads on WS. How can someone not be missed by anyone at all? Then I just had to keep reminding myself that the cases I kept coming back to, are from before - let's call it - the communication boom. A few cities or states were sometimes worlds apart.

Maybe JD really didn't have any truly close relationships in his life around the time of his passing (which alone is just so sad.)
Maybe he did, but they weren't in the "communication vicinity."
Maybe there was a missing person report somewhere, at some point, at a small police station, tucked between two other files, forgotten and eventually lost. The people who filed it, might have given up, or passed away.

And then, of course, like you suggested, maybe the person or people who knew exactly who he was, simply didn't want to contact the authorities. I also have a feeling that this (the stealing of the bike and the car) was probably not the first crime he had ever committed (and, I hope he forgives me if I am wrong.) I really do think he was trying very hard to get his life back together. He was clean cut, he was looking for work, he had new clothes to help him make a good first impression. If we ponder your theory, what if the people he had been involved with, were less than enthusiastic about his trying to get out, threatened him, and made him feel like he had to get away right away?

I believe that it's Martin John Munawych: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1663dmab.html
I've sent this through to the Doe Network and I can only hope that it's a positive match!

Martin was suggested back in 2008. In 2010, it appears someone followed up with his family and the investigators on his case and ruled him out. This is post #90:

Ok, I spoke to the detective handling the Martin Munawych disappearence. They have concluded that he is not our WI-UID.
Here is the criteria/discrepencies between Martin and the WI-UID. (The 4 items listed here was retrieved from an Email he sent me)
1. According to his mother, Martin was last know to have very good teeth, vs the partial dental plate as mentioned in the NCMA report.
2. Martin did not have extensive chest hair
3. Martin was circumcised.
4. Martin had surgery for a strangulated hernia, therefore would have had a scar showing that surgery. There was no indication of such a scar in the NCMA report
He verbally mentioned that Martin does have DNA available and the case is still active. He also mentioned that Martin is in no-way the UID from the South Carolina "Mystery Couple" case from 1976...he had been contact previously regarding that case as well.
we've ruled out:
Douglas Mueller
Leo Burt
Martin Munawych
Bernard "Bunny" Ross Jr

I just received a reply saying that it isn't Martin John Munawych. It's irritating but these things happen, I suppose!

Any chance match for missing person from MS: John Lloyd Heflin as Delafield John Doe? The descriptions are within the range. He was missing in Nov 1968, lived up north further away from south and probably add more marks/features in those 9 years. John may fake "death" as rumor when he walked out of family circle due to "petty" criminal. If it's him then, he have sister named Willie Mae Holland (living?) for DNA.

Estimated Age: 17-30 years old (missing as 24 yr old & dead at 33?)
Race: White (match)
Height: 5'8" to 6'1" (5'5"-6')
Weight: 145-170 lbs. (160-185 lbs)
Hair Color: Brown, cut military style (match as hair color, Pic shown as former military)
Eye Color: Hazel or brown eyes (match as Hazel)

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium complexion. Large amount of chest hair. No facial hair. Uncircumcised. Old scar on the backside of the right hand over the thumb. Small scar on the upper, outer edge of the left knee.

Dentals: Not available. Upper front dentures.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

See below for comparsions:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4724dmms.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1766umwi.html

Any chance match for missing person from MS: John Lloyd Heflin as Delafield John Doe? The descriptions are within the range. He was missing in Nov 1968, lived up north further away from south and probably add more marks/features in those 9 years. John may fake "death" as rumor when he walked out of family circle due to "petty" criminal. If it's him then, he have sister named Willie Mae Holland (living?) for DNA.

Estimated Age: 17-30 years old (missing as 24 yr old & dead at 33?)
Race: White (match)
Height: 5'8" to 6'1" (5'5"-6')
Weight: 145-170 lbs. (160-185 lbs)
Hair Color: Brown, cut military style (match as hair color, Pic shown as former military)
Eye Color: Hazel or brown eyes (match as Hazel)

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium complexion. Large amount of chest hair. No facial hair. Uncircumcised. Old scar on the backside of the right hand over the thumb. Small scar on the upper, outer edge of the left knee.

Dentals: Not available. Upper front dentures.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

See below for comparsions:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4724dmms.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1766umwi.html

He is on the list of people to be compared. I will ask for an update.

Interesting possibility. I see a resemblance, especially where John was in the military and the JD has a military type haircut.
It would be an easy ruleout - was John Heflin circumcised? If so, then it's not him.
I wondered if John also had upper front dentures at the time he went missing - that would make him a stronger candidate, though it wouldn't rule him out if he didn't at the time he left. He could have acquired them after he went missing.
Good find. I think he looks just like him. It's odd because I've looked at the MP's profile several times, and this UP, and never thought of them as a possibility because I always thought Delafield's hair was more blond than brown.

Hello! Long time guest, first time user.. hopefully explained by my username. This case is probably my main pet case-- there's just something about him I find really intriguing. Anyways, does anyone know if William Shields has been compared or definitively ruled out yet? Came across him in NamUs and saw that he had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm a little unclear on whether or not UIDs and MPs are automatically compared through NamUs if they have both have DNA/dentals available. IMO, he looks a lot like our JD with the exception of his lips being a bit fuller. The only info entered on Shields is that his hair is "dishwater blonde", though it could pass as a light brown in the photo on NamUs. Their heights are only an inch off and JD's weight is just five pounds above the upper limit for Shields' weight range. The last known sighting of Shields was estimated to be in June 1977 in Chicago, IL, which not only gives us a fairly reasonable three month timeline, but also is a fairly straight shot geographically. Gurnee is almost halfway between Chicago and Delafield, and the current route from Chicago to Delafield goes nearly straight through Gurnee. I tried looking for more information about Shields' case, but it seems like there's not a lot of information-- an approximate date he was last seen and mentions that he was on medication at the time, which he did not bring with him, and loved guitars. It's not an absolutely perfect match, but I think it's certainly worth checking out if possible!

Thanks everyone for your hard work on this case so far! (P.S. If there's anything I should do differently with future posts, please let me know-- I think this is the second forum I've ever used in my life :smile: )

Hello! Long time guest, first time user.. hopefully explained by my username. This case is probably my main pet case-- there's just something about him I find really intriguing. Anyways, does anyone know if William Shields has been compared or definitively ruled out yet? Came across him in NamUs and saw that he had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm a little unclear on whether or not UIDs and MPs are automatically compared through NamUs if they have both have DNA/dentals available. IMO, he looks a lot like our JD with the exception of his lips being a bit fuller. The only info entered on Shields is that his hair is "dishwater blonde", though it could pass as a light brown in the photo on NamUs. Their heights are only an inch off and JD's weight is just five pounds above the upper limit for Shields' weight range. The last known sighting of Shields was estimated to be in June 1977 in Chicago, IL, which not only gives us a fairly reasonable three month timeline, but also is a fairly straight shot geographically. Gurnee is almost halfway between Chicago and Delafield, and the current route from Chicago to Delafield goes nearly straight through Gurnee. I tried looking for more information about Shields' case, but it seems like there's not a lot of information-- an approximate date he was last seen and mentions that he was on medication at the time, which he did not bring with him, and loved guitars. It's not an absolutely perfect match, but I think it's certainly worth checking out if possible!

Thanks everyone for your hard work on this case so far! (P.S. If there's anything I should do differently with future posts, please let me know-- I think this is the second forum I've ever used in my life :smile: )

Hi and welcome! From what I have been told, there hasnt been a DNA "hit" in the database so it is safe to assume that any of our potential leads with DNA available in the United States, so far, are not a match. I was also told that rule-outs arent automatically posted on Namus, if at all...and in some cases only posted if the same person gets proposed as a match on multiple occasions. Basically, it is at the discrection of the case managers....

I haven't been through the whole thread. Has the medication's owner been found?
20ruypv.png

Have the other sets of keys been confirmed to be automobile or some other keys?

The keys had been logged as 3 rings with 9 keys, no indication of what type.

The pills found had been in an envelope and not a bottle. The info on the envelope was incomplete. It was mentioned to me that it may have been samples and not a full prescription. There is no record or photos of the envelope. No name was listed on the envelope....

The keys had been logged as 3 rings with 9 keys, no indicatiom of what type.

The pills found had been in an envelope and not a bottle. The info on the envelope was incomplete. It was mentioned to me that it may have been samples and not a full prescription. There is no record or photos of the envelope. No name was listed on the evelope....

...I was looking at my notes about the pills and the doctor mentioned in the article....

* There is no official record of any conversation between LE and the doctor.

Gurnee PD was asked to follow up initially (There was a follow up, but no mention of who found the doctor and made contact)

Notes indicate that the nothing of significance to identify was gained in follow up.

No prescribed name or pharmacy name on the envelope.

Medication type unknown

Envelope may have contained samples from a clinic visit, not an actual prescription.

Subject may not have seen the actual doctor listed, pills obtained via nurse or staff

May not have been his, or may have not been picked up by him.

Back to the keys as this should be fairly easy to narrow down. Do they still exist in the files? Automotive keys would be easy to find out what they belonged to.

The keys are long gone :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298