Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh my gosh you guys. I am so incredibly sad if what I am seeing is true and I am interpreting it right!!!

It appears to me that John L. Scott's last surviving sibling, Mary Jean Nunn (Scott), passed away 10 days after the big announcement that Doe was identified . Now I feel like we will surely never know anything more about John L. Scott. I sadly think this book is completely closed now unless he has any surviving nieces/nephews/cousins that know more about him? (But it seems doubtful). At least his sister gave us the one pic and he got his name back just in time!

I can't help but wonder what Mary Jean passed from? And if her finally getting this closure about John had anything to do with her soul being ready to cross over? The timing is just so in tandem with this discovery, like what are the odds?!!!

I'm sad for us as sleuths who will always be thirsty for more details. however I am happy the family has been reunited.

Does anyone know if they had planned to move John L. Scott down to his sister? Or were they just planning to add a name to his unmarked grave in WI? I just wonder what happens now that she's gone, it's too bad they can't be together. Seems they were only a year apart so I imagine they might have been pretty close as children.

Such heartbreaking news for those of us who felt connected to and invested in this case for all of these years.

(I have uploaded two screen shots of what makes me believe she passed.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101-013028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-013028_Chrome.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220101-013103_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-013103_Chrome.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 66
I don't believe so. Someone had found a record that the highest grade he completed was 5th. :( That being said, I wonder what school he would have went to for elementary? And if the local library in Bristol, TN may have some elementary school yearbooks?

The only other possibility is if his "wife" can be found and might have a photo or two. I was shocked there was a marriage record from when he was a teen. (But it wasn't Lauri). I wonder why there's not also a divorce record then? Surely his wife had to have moved on at some point?

Poor guy. I look at his penmanship and spelling, you can tell that he struggled. (Maybe he wrote with a pencil...which just added to the issues)

Gotta wonder what his back story was.

Based on his attire, he probably was job hunting.

Wonder what he was doing in Wisconsin?

Maybe he was simply trying to flee IL after stealing that vehicle.

ETA Say what?? I'm looking at a public record and it says highest grade completed: 5th.

If that's the case, then poor guy....

Every time I think about his highest level of education being 5th grade, my heart is heavy. This guy never had a chance. I can't imagine any parent in the US thinking a 5th grade education would be sufficient in the 1950's or 1960's. Maybe a century earlier, but not the 20th century.

Even though I never knew him, he will stay in my heart forever and I will continue to pray for his soul for the remainder of my life.

Oh my gosh you guys. I am so incredibly sad if what I am seeing is true and I am interpreting it right!!!

It appears to me that John L. Scott's last surviving sibling, Mary Jean Nunn (Scott), passed away 10 days after the big announcement that Doe was identified . Now I feel like we will surely never know anything more about John L. Scott. I sadly think this book is completely closed now unless he has any surviving nieces/nephews/cousins that know more about him? (But it seems doubtful). At least his sister gave us the one pic and he got his name back just in time!

I can't help but wonder what Mary Jean passed from? And if her finally getting this closure about John had anything to do with her soul being ready to cross over? The timing is just so in tandem with this discovery, like what are the odds?!!!

I'm sad for us as sleuths who will always be thirsty for more details. however I am happy the family has been reunited.

Does anyone know if they had planned to move John L. Scott down to his sister? Or were they just planning to add a name to his unmarked grave in WI? I just wonder what happens now that she's gone, it's too bad they can't be together. Seems they were only a year apart so I imagine they might have been pretty close as children.

Such heartbreaking news for those of us who felt connected to and invested in this case for all of these years.

(I have uploaded two screen shots of what makes me believe she passed.)

I can't add a link but a friend of Mary Jean's posted about her cause of death. It's very easy to find searching.

I can't add a link but a friend of Mary Jean's posted about her cause of death. It's very easy to find searching.

Thank you! I was able to find it as well and was sad to see her ashes are being held captive by the funeral home. :( (Sigh)

I also found an obituary for a sister of their's who passed in 2018 and it says "predeceased by her brother Johnny Scott". It made me happy he was still being considered and thought about after all of these years. <3 But I was also kind of surprised that they labeled him "deceased" without REALLY knowing. I personally don't think I could ever deem a loved one deceased if I didn't have the proof. I would always hold onto hope.

Then I also found an obit for their mother Mary Bell Scott. But was kind of saddened that it made no mention of Johnny, and only listed the other 4 kids.

In one's defense, it didn't exactly mention anyone else that Mary was predeceased by either, (only survived by) so maybe that is the reason he was left out. But gosh I just can't imagine leaving one child out of the obit when the other 4 are all mentioned. Johnny's father James was still alive in 2000 and I assume he would have been the one to help draft the obit for Mary. So in this instance I kind of have to blame dad for omitting Johnny, if anyone.

I also have yet to find an obit for James. ??

It leads me to wonder if Johnny had bad blood with dad, (or both mom and dad?) and maybe they were in such disagreement with how he was living life that they cut ties with him earlier in his adulthood. Or on the contrary, maybe they felt shunned by him because he never reached out after 1977 and they assumed it was his way of saying "screw you" and thus he became "dead to them" (regardless of if he were to be alive or not.)

I think that's why this guy has captivated so many of us. Because we picture this troubled young man who was probably viewed as a "punk kid" for the greater half of his life. Never reported missing, never aggressively searched for, never invested in, never recognized, and was left to make a life of his own (which involved bad choices that were probably coming out of a need to survive, and less out of a desire to be a hellion). The evidence shows he was likely looking for a job, housing, etc. but given his level of education he probably didn't have many opportunities. But hey, at LEAST he was trying!!!

Maybe collectively we all just wanted him to feel important for once and cared about, even if it was too late, or even if he never knows we all tried so hard to get him his name back. I imagine most of the sleuths in here are a lot like myself and participate in these searches because we are empaths who connect with people on levels "the average human" doesn't understand. We feel this compelling desire to help the helpless, love the unloved, and recognize the unrecognized.

And while most of the time it leads to sleepless nights, dead ends, and usually being WAY off on our theories, it's still in our nature to seek closure for those who don't have a voice. I'm so glad that there are forums like this for like-minded people to connect and bounce ideas off of eachother. <3 No one in my circle of reality gives these types of stories a second thought. Me? I stress out about them and often lose sleep! Lol.

Every time I think about his highest level of education being 5th grade, my heart is heavy. This guy never had a chance. I can't imagine any parent in the US thinking a 5th grade education would be sufficient in the 1950's or 1960's. Maybe a century earlier, but not the 20th century.

Even though I never knew him, he will stay in my heart forever and I will continue to pray for his soul for the remainder of my life.

Thank you for your commitment to finding John Scott's identify. I found the thread engrossing, even though it wasn't a "who done it".
Sure we didn't get the "magic ID", but you were able to piece together significant details of his life just prior to his accident.

I do wonder what brought him to Chicago and how long his lived in the area?

I found out Zippo lighters have a manufacturing time stamp on the bottom. This could have provided us with a time detail to Lauri.

Did the doctor who provided the meds retire in 1976?

I have no idea if Lauri was a second wife, or if she was someone he dated. (Lighters are often gifts given in dating as opposed to marriage)

I found all your hard work painted a picture...The DNA gave him a name, but your work told a story of who he was.

Last edited:
New article on his identification
https://www.tmj4.com/news/i-team/de...igative-genetic-genealogy-to-identify-remains

We were able to get in contact with John Scott's sister, Mary Jean Nunn, who went by Jean, and she was more than happy to provide us with a DNA sample," Dougherty said.

"I just found out a few days ago that Jean Nunn passed away unexpectedly, and I am so grateful that all of us were able to give that, this answer, before she passed. Because I know she was incredibly grateful for it," she also said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3
Back