GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As a former patient of Dr. Potter, I have been following this case with a lot of interest.

I disagree with those who view "Huncho" (Ali'Jah Larrue) as a good kid who should get leniency. How can anyone possibly argue that he didn't know Sanford was going to shoot Beth and Robin? According to the evidence, he willingly drove the van to their house, he willingly helped Sanford kidnap them at gunpoint and bring them, in their underwear in freezing temperatures in the middle of the night, to a ditch in an arboretum.

He knew exactly what he was helping Sanford do when he helped abduct them and drove them at gunpoint in their underwear in the freezing cold in the middle of the night to a ditch in the forest. And after the murders, by his own testimony he then went home and played video games. (Note that although Robin died instantly that night, while Huncho was playing video games, Beth was still clinging to life all night in that freezing ditch, lying next to her dead husband and not dying from her gunshot wound until AFTER joggers found her in the morning.)

I also feel no sympathy for the victims' adopted daughter Mimi, who the Madison police failed to charge with any crime. As evidence has shown, the robbery was HER idea from the start - it was Mimi who first hatched the plan of robbing her parents! And while her boyfriend was out committing the crime, her texts to him show that she was quite worried about the fact that he was using her family's van to commit the crime. She was so worried about being caught, that she asked him to bring the van back and use someone else's vehicle. And the next day, she lied to police and said both the boyfriend and van had been home all night with her. At the barest minimum, she was an accessory after the fact. But, she also planned it from the start.

Also, she and her boyfriend revealed their true characters in the dispute that led up to everything in the Potter-Carre household at the start of the pandemic. Dr. Potter, besides being a DOCTOR who treats patients and who needed to try to avoid the coronavirus for that reason, also had an underlying health condition that put her at higher risk of complications or death if she got the virus. But Mimi and her boyfriend simply didn't care. They refused to follow social distancing, refused to stop going out partying. This shows that they didn't care about Dr. Potter, her health or her life. They just didn't care enough about the well-being of Beth and Robin, the people who were generously supporting them in a an opulent lifestyle, nor did they care about Dr. Potter's patients who they also put at risk with their behavior.

And when they continued putting her at risk and Dr. Potter was finally forced to take measures to protect herself and her patients, and to get them out of the house very kindly PAID for a rental apartment for them and gave them a FREE vehicle to use, how did they react? Mimi was furious, saw herself as a huge victim, and complained that Dr. Potter didn't care about HER! And her boyfriend literally said they were treating him "like a slave" because they wanted him to follow social distancing.

In their minds, Dr. Potter was apparently supposed to just sit back and let them bring the virus home and possibly kill her and/or her patients. If they were not allowed to do whatever they wanted for entertainment, no matter the risk to the health and LIVES of other people, they were being wronged in their twisted minds. Even when they were being fully financially supported.

The only good news now is that Mimi may not inherit the considerable wealth of the loving adoptive parents who she plotted against. Although police failed to charge her with anything, the executor of the estate is reportedly now seeking to have her disinherited, on the grounds that she helped cause their deaths by first hatching to the plot to rob them. Since she apparently isn't going to face any criminal legal consequences (she was given immunity for her testimony), I personally hope that she is at least cut off completely financially. And I hope this new attempt to disinherit her means that her adoptive family members no longer speak to her.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing with us @DrPotterPatient !

Continuing to pray for the sons, as well as friends & family member, patients and business associates.

Khari Sanford & Mimi Carre had every advantage -- and we can see what they did with those advantages.

Larrue had far fewer -- and did choose to testify & facilitate Sanford's conviction.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Whoa! I just read another article about the move to try to disinherit Mimi. It's even worse than I thought. Texts between Mimi and Sanford reportedly show that she KNEW in advance that Sanford was going to kill them. So it wasn't the case, as I had previously thought, that she helped plan the robbery, but didn't know Sanford was going to also shoot them. She knew. And there was discussion about life insurance money.

Also, it appears that there was some racial hatred towards Beth and Robin coming from both Mimi and her boyfriend. This was hinted at when the boyfriend (who is black) said he was being treated "like a slave" for simply being asked to follow social distancing and to please try not to bring the virus home to Beth, a doctor who treats patients and who was herself immunocompromised.

But this article shows that Mimi (who is from Central America) sent texts revealing her racism against her white adoptive parents. I didn't realize that race was a motivating factor for Mimi and her boyfriend in robbing and murdering them.

Why on earth was Mimi given immunity for her testimony? Her testimony wasn't even needed at all given the overwhelming amount of evidence against Sanford and Larrue (video of the van caught on cameras, cell phone pings placing them at every point of the crimes, the victims' blood on Sanford's clothes, the texts showing the planning and plotting, the gun and ballistics, it just goes on and on.)

And why on earth wasn't Mimi charged? I saw in one article that a police officer claimed Mimi wasn't charged because she had no knowledge of the crime. But all the evidence disproves this.

How could police and prosecutors have botched this so badly?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for linking that article! From above link:

“Miriam Carre’s concern about potential self-incrimination was well-founded,” the petition argues. “The evidence indicates that Miriam was complicit and participated in a plan with Sanford to rob her parents which led to the senseless and tragic murders. Simply put, but for Miriam’s relationship with Sanford and participation in a plan to rob her own parents, the decedents would be alive today.”

Also from that article:

"Miriam Carre texted Sanford a photo of Sanford pointing a handgun at the camera... Miriam Carre told Sanford in a text message, “(I) feel like (my parents) got this white (savior) act going on and like, they feel like they can’t do any wrong. and that’s why my whole life I’ve been trying to show them but nooooooooooo they don’t see (expletive) else but what they wanna see.”

Sanford texted back [to Mimi], “It’s cool because they gon die.”

Wow, thanks for linking that article! From above link:

“Miriam Carre’s concern about potential self-incrimination was well-founded,” the petition argues. “The evidence indicates that Miriam was complicit and participated in a plan with Sanford to rob her parents which led to the senseless and tragic murders. Simply put, but for Miriam’s relationship with Sanford and participation in a plan to rob her own parents, the decedents would be alive today.”
I'd like to see that full petition laying out all the reasons Mimi should be disinherited, because there seems to be some explosive evidence (text messages etc) that haven't been previously reported publicly to my knowledge (like Mimi knowing the plan was to kill them, and being fine with that, and discussing life insurance money). I wonder if it's a public document?

I'd like to see that full petition laying out all the reasons Mimi should be disinherited, because there seems to be some explosive evidence (text messages etc) that haven't been previously reported publicly to my knowledge (like Mimi knowing the plan was to kill them, and being fine with that, and discussing life insurance money). I wonder if it's a public document?

Family court matter, I hope not.

Consider becoming a Verified Insider for this thread:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

There was an interesting point made by a commenter to one of the articles about the move to stop Mimi from getting an inheritance.

She at first pleaded the fifth, and only testified for the prosecution after being granted immunity. But that immunity agreement may have required that she testify truthfully. And if it can be shown that she lied on the stand about not knowing about the plan to kill her parents (and her text message exchanges with Sanford telling her "they gon die" certainly suggest that she knew), that could potentially nullify her immunity. Maybe the info coming out in this probate challenge could make her eligible to be criminally charged after all.

Also it's interesting to see that Mimi is now going as "Miriam Carre" rather than "Miriam Potter-Carre." Why did she drop the name Potter? She seemed to deeply resent her mother for making any attempts to normally parent her or have any household rules whatsoever. Articles about the court case report that she and her boyfriend were angry not only about the request that they follow social distancing and stop putting Dr. Potter and her patients at risk by going out partying at the start of the pandemic, but they were also angry because they wanted the "freedom to smoke" pot all the time. (And btw whose money was paying for their pot, since they were totally financially supported by the parents?)

What a deadly mistake it was for Beth and Robin to be so kind to their pathologically self-centered daughter and her truly evil boyfriend.

Family court matter, I hope not.

Consider becoming a Verified Insider for this thread:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Are probate court and family court the same thing? (I have no idea.)

I'm not an insider by any means. Just an interested observer who checks in on the latest news periodically. I received medical care from Dr. Potter (she was a great doc!) but didn't know her or the family personally, and don't know anything other than what's reported publicly. And I have no legal expertise. I'd just like to see everyone who was involved in any planning, carrying out or hiding evidence of this horrible crime to be held accountable.

Whoa! I just read another article about the move to try to disinherit Mimi. It's even worse than I thought. Texts between Mimi and Sanford reportedly show that she KNEW in advance that Sanford was going to kill them. So it wasn't the case, as I had previously thought, that she helped plan the robbery, but didn't know Sanford was going to also shoot them. She knew. And there was discussion about life insurance money.

Also, it appears that there was some racial hatred towards Beth and Robin coming from both Mimi and her boyfriend. This was hinted at when the boyfriend (who is black) said he was being treated "like a slave" for simply being asked to follow social distancing and to please try not to bring the virus home to Beth, a doctor who treats patients and who was herself immunocompromised.

But this article shows that Mimi (who is from Central America) sent texts revealing her racism against her white adoptive parents. I didn't realize that race was a motivating factor for Mimi and her boyfriend in robbing and murdering them.

Why on earth was Mimi given immunity for her testimony? Her testimony wasn't even needed at all given the overwhelming amount of evidence against Sanford and Larrue (video of the van caught on cameras, cell phone pings placing them at every point of the crimes, the victims' blood on Sanford's clothes, the texts showing the planning and plotting, the gun and ballistics, it just goes on and on.)

And why on earth wasn't Mimi charged? I saw in one article that a police officer claimed Mimi wasn't charged because she had no knowledge of the crime. But all the evidence disproves this.

How could police and prosecutors have botched this so badly?

I agree with all you’ve said about Miriam. I could not understand why she was given immunity for her testimony. As you said, they did not need her testimony. I think that was a blunder on the part of the prosecution. I for one hope she does not see a penny of any inheritance. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What a deadly mistake it was for Beth and Robin to be so kind to their pathologically self-centered daughter and her truly evil boyfriend.
Actually I don't mean that how it sounds. It wasn't their mistake to be kind. None of this is their fault. It's just so upsetting, how good they were to the people who then plotted to rob and kill them.

I agree with all you’ve said about Miriam. I could not understand why she was given immunity for her testimony. As you said, they did not need her testimony. I think that was a blunder on the part of the prosecution. I for one hope she does not see a penny of any inheritance. <modsnip>
<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>

Think there's any possibility that Sanford might testify with more info about her alleged involvement, once he's sentenced and/or any hope for an appeal of his conviction is gone? (since him testifying about her level of involvement in the crime would also require admitting his own involvement)

Last edited by a moderator:
She at first pleaded the fifth, and only testified for the prosecution after being granted immunity. But that immunity agreement may have required that she testify truthfully. Maybe the info coming out in this probate challenge could make her eligible to be criminally charged after all.
I think you are right in that any immunity agreement was probably based on truthful testimony. Another concept that could support the ability to prosecute is that immunity agreements are just that- agreements.

They are not part of the constitutional process like say, no "double jeaprody". As a result, the Sovereign (in this case, the DA) decides whether the terms of any immunity agreement have been met.

Going deeper, I believe that the Sovereign also has the core ability to back out of any agreement at any time, for any reason. For example, my church once got burned when the city Sovereign suddenly voided an agreed sale of city property. Our attorney stated that the Sovereign, is well, sovereign- and Sovereigns are above the rules.

But..... I doubt the DA would need to resort to the "deep sovereign power" to prosecute her. Rather, he or she could probably just state: "I made a good faith determination that the defendant did not follow our agreement".

"Miriam Carre texted Sanford a photo of Sanford pointing a handgun at the camera...

Miriam Carre told Sanford in a text message, “(I) feel like (my parents) got this white (savior) act going on and like, they feel like they can’t do any wrong. and that’s why my whole life I’ve been trying to show them but nooooooooooo they don’t see (expletive) else but what they wanna see.”
Sanford texted back [to Mimi], “It’s cool because they gon die.”
The totality is insane.....

- Miriam texts the perpetrator an inflammatory photo of himself aiming a weapon at the camera.

- Then, she repeated an inflammatory "justification" for the crime.

- The perpetrator then texts Miriam that he intends to kill both victims.

One could almost argue that Miriam was provoking or setting up the double murder by goading the perpetrator until he acted. I wonder if there were other texts in which the perpetrator appeared to be backing out, so Miriam responded with inflammatory texts in order to get him "juiced up" and to re-commit?

Though I do not have any formal legal qualifications, the totality of the immunity agreement in contrast to the evidence against Miriam looks strange.

I really hope that they children of the victims pursue the legitimacy of the immunity agreement to the Attorney General.

Was the local DA pursuing an ideological pre-disposition not to prosecute the case? Did he have the authority to offer an immunity agreement given the totality of the circumstances? Is that agreement still valid now?

Last edited:
I agree with these last few posts. I would like to see Miriam disinherited and prosecuted, if possible.
I have followed this case and felt great sadness for the victims and their family.

*My opinions.

I pray Mimi doesn't get one dime from Beth's estate. I still can't wrap my head around this one. I'll never understand how anyone could hate such a kind and giving person. RIP Beth, I visit your tree often.

Think there's any possibility that Sanford might testify with more info about her alleged involvement, once he's sentenced and/or any hope for an appeal of his conviction is gone? (since him testifying about her level of involvement in the crime would also require admitting his own involvement)
I imagine that he could.

Once he took the plea bargain and pled guilty, he is protected from any further prosecutorial action by double jeaprody. So, he would not need to worry about self incriminating testimony etc.

In addition to this possibility, I think the family needs to "trust but verify" anything they are being told by the local prosecutor regarding the immunity agreement. In short:

- What exactly is an immunity agreement? Under what circumstances can it be retracted? Do those circumstances exist now?

- Did the local prosecutor have the authority to make such an agreement given the totality of evidence? An "agreement" not made under such authority is void.

Was the local DA pursuing an ideological pre-disposition not to prosecute the case? Did he have the authority to offer an immunity agreement given the totality of the circumstances?

I found this in an article: "During trial, Deputy District Attorney William Brown said [Miriam] Carre 'had no idea, absolutely no idea' about the plans to kill."

But Mimi definitely knew the plans to kill. The probate petition clearly cites evidence from the record that Sanford texted Mimi "It's cool because they gon die" in response to her texted complaints to him about her parents.

So she knew it was going to happen, but perhaps she didn't know which night it was going to happen? If so, what a coincidence that she was so concerned on the night of the murders that Sanford was using her family's van, that she texted him and asked him to bring it back and use a different car.

Did this Deputy DA simply fail to review this evidence? Or was Mimi just such a great actress that he chose to believe her despite the evidence she was lying?

Also, even if the Deputy DA thought she didn't know Sanford would shoot them during the robbery, why did the Deputy DA just let her off the hook for planning the robbery of "bands of cash" in the first place, and for lying to police the next day by falsely claiming both Sanford and the van were at home with her all night? Why does she just get away with those crimes?

Once Sanford is sentenced and any hope for an appeal of his conviction is gone, he just might start talking about what Mimi knew. He can't talk about that until then because discussing her involvement would be an admission of his own guilt.

There might be some risk that she might actually flee the country if the evidence in the probate petition (which shows she knew the plan to kill) nullifies her immunity and makes her eligible for criminal charges. She's presumably been living on her parents' money for the past two years, and depending on how much of their cash she can access right now, she could make a run for it, especially if the family is successful in its bid to strip her inheritance. Might be wise to freeze her passport!

Last edited:
But Mimi definitely knew the plans to kill.

Did this Deputy DA simply fail to review this evidence? Or was Mimi just such a great actress that he chose to believe her despite the evidence she was lying?
Or, did the DA put a socio political filter on the evidence?

The possibilities of "Good actress", "Never saw it" or "Filtered it" may never be revealed. But..... they dont really need to be either. At the end of the day, I am thinking....

The Immunity Agreement w/o a plea of some sort is probably not part of the Constitutional process. As a result, my bet is that it can be reviewed at any time.

The ultimate prosecutorial authority in Wisconsin is the Attorney General. They have an ethics office that probably covers public officials issuing wildly favorable reviews about anything.

For example, it my city, a you know...very special 'n wildly favorable agreement made by officials with a local developer was later voided and retracted. Nothing illegal was ever demonstrated.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catdog1234
Back