Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In reviewing early reports, I noticed that they used statements like " her bike was found at..." and "a bike believed to be hers was located...". That makes me believe it was her bicycle that was found.
In addition, I was surprised to read that Lily was not described wearing a coat. After checking the weather, it was about 40 degrees on Sunday evening in Chippewa Falls. That is quite chilly to only be wearing a 3/4 sleeve shirt, leggings, and shoes.
What that says to me is that Lily would have wanted to get home and be inside - I don't believe she would have gotten off that bicycle willingly - even for a ruse. I could absolutely be off-base here, but I am thinking it was a blitz attack to grab her.
I just can't get this girl out of my mind - so young and in a community that is supposed to be safe! I want to see the person responsible caught, like, NOW!

She was definately under-dressed to be out for an extended time in the evening and was probably extremely cold with the additional wind riding her bicycle. So I doubt she was riding around the neighborhood maybe making a stop at the Kwik Trip for a snack or something as opposed to going straight home. As someone that lives just across the border in the Twin Cities, there's some points to be made.

First, we don't know what time she actually left, and in the spring and fall there are typically wild temperature swings between the day and night. She probably rode down doing the day when it was warmer and maybe didn't think ahead about how it would be colder in the evening.

Second, it's common to deliberately under-dress a bit if you know you're not going to be out in the cold long and are going to someplace warm. When it's below freezing out, yes I put on thermal underwear, parka, gloves, and hat if I'm going ice skating. If I'm going to the store I'll just put on a light weather jacket rather than deal with the time and discomfort of being all bundled up. Just a hoody for a 10 minute bicycle ride home doesn't seem that odd of a choice to me.

Based on the input here, it does seem that only a person familiar with this area could have interacted with Lily around here. I am curious about where the bike was found (under branches, behind a tree, etc.) and if it looks like the bike was "parked" or "put on it's side/thrown down"? That might give insight if she was attacked while on the bike or if she was lured away. That bike could be a gold mine of evidence if the perp moved it (fingerprints, touch DNA, etc.). Fingers crossed!

I don't disagree... But Chippewa Falls, as cute as it is, is just 10 minutes from I94. Highway 29 leads on east to Green Bay, taking I94 back west is straight to MPLS/St. Paul, or on to WI Dells or Milwaukee. I've driven through it many times. Earlier it was said that Leinie's is locally popular but I actually think it's HUGELY popular in the midwest, especially. It's an absolute spot to stop if you were driving through.

I wonder if Lily had a cell phone?
Maybe there was talk of a meetup?

I don't disagree... But Chippewa Falls, as cute as it is, is just 10 minutes from I94. Highway 29 leads on east to Green Bay, taking I94 back west is straight to MPLS/St. Paul, or on to WI Dells or Milwaukee. I've driven through it many times. Earlier it was said that Leinie's is locally popular but I actually think it's HUGELY popular in the midwest, especially. It's an absolute spot to stop if you were driving through.

Point taken. I am considering more about the knowledge of the trails. We do know that her body and the bicycle were found some distance apart. Knowing about a destination and going there is different than knowledge of the trails around the place you are going.

I just hope there were cameras in the parking lot or around any surrounding residences that caught something.

Missing 10-year-old girl, Lily Peters, found dead near walking trail in downtown Chippewa Falls

"A 10-year-old girl who went missing after going to visit an aunt was found dead near a walking trail in downtown Chippewa Falls Monday, according to police.

Iliana Peters’ death is being investigated as a homicide, Chief Matthew Kelm said. As of Monday evening, no one was in custody.

Police began searching for the girl, who went by the name Lily, after her father reported Sunday evening that she hadn’t returned home from a visit to her aunt’s house in the 400 block of North Grove Street."

"Police said a bicycle believed to be hers was found late Sunday night in the woods near the walking trail between the end of North Grove Street and the Leinenkugel’s brewery parking lot"

"Peters’ body was found at about 9:15 a.m. Monday in a wooded area near the walking trail, according to police.

People should "remain vigilant as there could be a danger to the public" and keep an eye out for things that appear suspicious"

Or obvious trauma visible? Also, determined from evidence at the scene? I'll have to look at the words again...So it sounds like L.E. determined homicide from visibly assessing the victim, and evidence from the crime scene...that sounds horrible.

My first thought, when I heard that, was that she perhaps had been found strangled, with a ligature. It is such a violent, controlling way to kill, and allows the killer to feel he has complete power over his victim .

I do think that, based on where her body was found, that someone or some camera saw something important, and a POI or suspect will be named soon. I certainly pray that is the case. JMO

This case is my worse nightmare as a parent. I pray the killer is found and justice is served.

Agreed. This place doesn’t seem super isolated or anything. Anyone depraved yet opportunistic enough could have easily scouted a place to lure a little girl before finally finding one to snatch.

This screenshot from WCCO's video shows the bridge between Leinie's Lodge and the Jacob
This is a good picture of the bridge but why would she have crossed the creek way up there when there is another bridge across the creek on the most direct route between the two homes?

Point taken. I am considering more about the knowledge of the trails. We do know that her body and the bicycle were found some distance apart. Knowing about a destination and going there is different than knowledge of the trails around the place you are going.

I just hope there were cameras in the parking lot or around any surrounding residences that caught something.
The local posting here who can see the trail from her house said that it’s not really a trail in the sense that we all picture a trail. It’s like a very short walking path people just call the trail.

Lily Peters live updates: No one in custody Tuesday after Lily Peters found dead – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
<snipped & BBM>
Police are investigating her death as a homicide, but as of Tuesday morning, no one was in custody.

[...]

Police have not announced any arrests and have not released a suspect description.

This is devastating on so many levels. I know it’s early in the investigation but the killer had a long head start towards either getting out of town or covering their tracks. If it’s not a local or someone who frequents the area, I can easily see this case going cold unless there is camera footage or still photos we don’t know about.

And until they find this person, every person in that area will be worrying and wondering, suspicious and afraid. Life will be different now in that beautiful little town.

This is a good picture of the bridge but why would she have crossed the creek way up there when there is another bridge across the creek on the most direct route between the two homes?
Maybe just because she's out enjoying herself, biking around. This path appears to go past a cemetery, which might have captured her attention as an interesting thing to ride past.

we don’t know that she did. Whoever took her may have moved her. Or forced her to go that way.

Locals say it's not much farther to go that way. Personally, my choice would be to ride my bike along a trail and across that cute bridge than along a road with traffic. JMO

Locals say it's not much farther to go that way. Personally, my choice would be to ride my bike along a trail and across that cute bridge than along a road with traffic. JMO
I don't mean to argue, but going over the bridge up by the brewery requires her to come back a further distance on busier roads.
But, on the other hand if she had chosen to ride her bike toward or even on that short trail up to the brewery, it is easier to understand how one person could have done this. I wonder if she knew or has seen this person before more than once, and would have gone the long way around willingly. MOO MOO MOO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rutburca