Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chippewa Falls police increase patrols around schools in wake of 10-year-old girl's slaying

“You may notice an increased law enforcement presence around our schools. We will be increasing our patrol especially during drop-off and pick-up times,” the police department announced on its Facebook page Tuesday.

Police Chief Matthew Kelm, who said police consider Lily Peters’ death a homicide, urged residents to remain vigilant. Investigators don’t know the circumstances of Lily’s death, he said, adding that

there may be a danger to the public.

The fourth-grader’s father reported her missing about 9 p.m. Sunday after she didn’t return home from her aunt’s house nearby. Officers later located Lily’s bicycle in some woods at the end of the street where her aunt livees.

About 9:15 a.m. Monday, searchers found Lily’s body in a wooded area nearby. Investigators say they are following up on several leads.

Neighbors say the path where police found Lily’s body is a popular route for children on bikes and people exercising.

This is a bold risky murder, not unlike others we have seen in the past.

It occurred in the daylight in an area that wasn’t in full foliage.

Ballsy.

Anyone know if the FBI has been called in yet?

I am so sorry Lily. Your precious young life should never have been cut so short by a murderer.

Patiently waiting with all of you for more information about this case. I hope to learn if her aunt was expecting Lily’s visit, and if she ever arrived.

Sadly reminiscent of the murder of Ryan Rogers in Miami.

I don't mean to argue, but going over the bridge up by the brewery requires her to come back a further distance on busier roads.
But, on the other hand if she had chosen to ride her bike toward or even on that short trail up to the brewery, it is easier to understand how one person could have done this. I wonder if she knew or has seen this person before more than once, and would have gone the long way around willingly. MOO MOO MOO MOO

its important to remember we are talking about a matter of blocks. Any way she went was like a 4-5 minute bike ride, if that. And “busier roads” is likely not very busy at all on a Sunday evening in a small town. I highly doubt there was much traffic.

But there is no way to know how she ended up where she did, whether that was by her own free will and encountered someone evil where she was found, whether she was snatched and taken there, or whether she willingly went to where she was found with someone and something awful happened there. Ultimately it doesn’t matter. If someone was watching her and wanted to harm her badly enough, they would have gotten her no matter what way she went.

its important to remember we are talking about a matter of blocks. Any way she went was like a 4-5 minute bike ride, if that. But there is no way to know how she ended up where she did, whether that was by her own free will and encountered someone evil where she was found, whether she was snatched and taken there, or whether she willingly went to where she was found with someone and something awful happened there. Ultimately it doesn’t matter. If someone was watching her and wanted to harm her badly enough, they would have gotten her no matter what way she went.
I agree. I was weighing the information as to whether this was random ( someone waiting to see who came by) or she went willingly. Also, I was trying to figure if all scenarios could have been managed by only one person.

We actually know very little here publicly. All we know is where she was found. Hopefully LE has a lot more.

She may have been lured there, attacked as she rode by there, or dumped there having been attacked somewhere else.

I hope LE has some great video and other evidence so this perp can be brought to justice quickly.

A few things stand out to me and I was curious what y'all think....

1. The holding back on the timeline of when she was last seen....Sharing this would help people narrow down a time to check their security footage and possible remember something they had seen... there must be a reason not sharing this information is more important that acquiring additional footage/tips.)

2. "We do not have anyone in custody"..... is not the same as we do not have a suspect. Not sure that the means anything, but it stuck out to me.

3. Possible threat to the community & schools requesting kids not walk/bike.... Have we seen this stated in other cases? It's not something I recognize as being normal. Makes me think the crime scene reflects an experience killer, possibly with signatures that would suggest this is not a one and done (at least for a while) type of killer. Did something at the crime scene indicate an ongoing threat?

4. Has anyone heard anything about her having a phone?

5. The whole woods + river + cemetery = crime scene with a child victim does have Delphi vibes. Not sure I really believe a connection is possible, let a lone probable, but it does give me a deja vu feeling. Assuming for a moment that it is possible, would this police department be privy to information regarding the signatures from the Delphi case?

This case just feels different, but I could very easily be way off.

It makes me wonder why police are NOT releasing a timeline. Many reports say she left her Aunts, but other reports do NOT say that she ever made it to her Aunts. Reports say she was "seen" by family members after she left her parents house but they do not say who those family members were or what time they saw her, or where they saw her.
We're making a huge assumption that she visited with her Aunt, those were the family members, and that she left from there when in actuality, she may have never arrived there at all.
If that is the case, it explains why dad didn't call police until after 9. He thought she was at her Aunts?
I don't understand why they are not releasing timeline tho. When they do that, it makes people THINK. People who were in that area, will automatically THINK..."oh, she disappeared between 7-9PM, I was there at 6, so I wouldn't have seen anything, OR "She disappeared between 7-9PM, I was on that trail, or across the street, or in that area between those times! Did I see anything?" Then, they start going over in their minds everything they remember and saw.
LE not releasing timeline is preventing people from doing that and with every day that goes by, people remember less..or leave town, etc.
I always go with what our dear old friend Foxfire used to say.."LE makes a mistake in not utilizing their biggest and best resource immediately...the public." I firmly believe that.
Having been involved in a missing person's case, I can say that media gets a LOT of the details wrong, and until we here it from LE..we have no idea if she even made it to her Aunts.

My feeling, or I should say, my hope, is that LE will have another press conference soon where they discuss indicators that the public should be aware of. Chances are someone in the immediate area knows someone who may have done this and they just need a nudge to tell LE what they know or suspect.

It's my opinion that research into these types of child murders shows that after the crime the perpetrator commonly does one or more of the following:
1. Made some kind of variation to his usual schedule that day for which he has an explanation that in retrospect does not seem to add up (had a flat tire, etc).
2. Changed his appearance (shaved facial hair/grew facial hair)
3. Left town
4. Is interested in what LE knows (location of cameras etc) OR never wants to talk about the news surrounding the case
5. Started using alcohol or drugs when he didn't previously; or, made a sudden decision to go clean and stop using alcohol or drugs when previously was known to abuse them.
6. I would say here, was interested in helping search or returned to the scene of the crime but her body was found so quickly that this may not have had a chance to occur.

If LE is thinking this was a crime of opportunity, the likelihood is this was a person who had some legitimate reason to be in that area when she was passing by. Could be he lives nearby, could be work, could be a usual route for him. It doesn't necessarily mean he stalked her in particular, this type of offender is always on the lookout for opportunities and is hyper aware of situations where kids are without adults present.

All MOO.

I kind of feel like the murderer may end up living in the neighborhood (not accusing anyone in particular). Since Lily and her cousins were often seen playing in the neighborhood, someone could have made his move when he saw her on her own biking. And with her disappearing Sunday night, I don't imagine many people are out driving or traveling around, or being from out of town.

I hope they have DNA evidence.

1. The holding back on the timeline of when she was last seen....Sharing this would help people narrow down a time to check their security footage and possible remember something they had seen... there must be a reason not sharing this information is more important that acquiring additional footage/tips.)

2. "We do not have anyone in custody"..... is not the same as we do not have a suspect. Not sure that the means anything, but it stuck out to me.

3. Possible threat to the community & schools requesting kids not walk/bike.... Have we seen this stated in other cases? It's not something I recognize as being normal. Makes me think the crime scene reflects an experience killer, possibly with signatures that would suggest this is not a one and done (at least for a while) type of killer. Did something at the crime scene indicate an ongoing threat?

5. The whole woods + river + cemetery = crime scene with a child victim does have Delphi vibes. Not sure I really believe a connection is possible, let a lone probable, but it does give me a deja vu feeling. Assuming for a moment that it is possible, would this police department be privy to information regarding the signatures from the Delphi case?

This ^^^^

I think we know the timeline that matters. Lily was visiting family, and last seen by family, on Sunday evening. For me, that means 6 PM or later. At 9 PM, her father called police. It makes sense that she would have cycled home before it was dark (sunset at 8 PM). She most likely cycled home around 7 PM, her family probably searched the path for her (in case she had an accident), and at 9 PM they decided to call police.

"According to the Chippewa Falls Police Department, Iliana Peters “Lily” was last seen by family Sunday evening. Iliana’s father called police at 9 p.m. after she had not returned from visiting with her aunt in the 400 block of North Grove St."
Body Of Missing10-Year-Old Chippewa Falls Girl Found; Homicide Suspected

Knowing when she left her aunt's house probably doesn't make much difference regarding witnesses and CCTV. Police would be interested in CCTV for the entire day, and perhaps for Saturday as well. The person that abducted and murdered Lily could have been loitering in the area waiting for the opportunity to abduct a young girl.

One reason a timeline might not have been released is LE is wanting to collect more information on any activies in the area in the times and and days prior.

If too much focus is put directly on the timeline of when she left her Aunts house to when her father report missing could leave out some important evidence. JMO

The more I think about it, the more I believe they have a who and a when, that’s why they aren’t really talking to the public about the timeline or even asking if anyone has noticed someone behaving different, not where they said they’d be, etc. They aren’t even asking for people in the area or on the path that day to contact them.

All we are getting is if you have a tip call the tipline and stay vigilant.

BBM I totally agree with this, and will add that while I agree, it does kinda have that Delphi vibe, for some reason, my gut tells me this was not the work of a stranger. I believe she likely was murdered by someone she knew who lives in the community, and if not someone she actually knew, it was someone she at the very least recognized. JMO

b5bbe0cf-4f2f-4675-adf4-62b1b246e58d-LILY-MAP-1.jpg

Lily Peters live updates: Homicide investigation launched in her death

We shouldn't be surprised at the lack of info from LE including their unwillingness to confirm any information being reported by the media.

Investigators do not want the perp to know what they know. Also, they may be talking to somebody now or later that will know things only the killer would know -- and not because it was reported in the media including the timeline.

LE also does not need to be inundated with false tips/leads that can happen by the early release of details.

This is the murder of a child in a small otherwise safe community -- they've got this and I'm sure FBI is also working behind the scenes. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OkCujo98