Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said that they were able to say it was homicide right at the scene of where her body was which makes me wonder aside from the obvious that she was clearly deceased if she wasn't found half clothed or no clothed that leads them to think it. Especially since they are saying to the public to be vigilant. It seems its a classic case of S/A and dump the body.

4/25/22 -- WATCH: Police provide update on missing Chippewa Falls 10-year-old

AM Police presser begins at 3:40 minute mark

Presser Notes:

Chief Matthew Kelm

No one in custody. Remain vigilant, could be a danger to the public.

Tip line has been established.

"...almost impossible to believe that something like this could happen in our city..."

Wisconsin Department of Criminal investigations, state crime lab, multiple local law enforcement agencies involved.

Questions/Answers

No arrest, so the suspect is at large, and want to be vigilant for that reason.

Timeline goes to the active investigation so he won't be saying anything more about this.

They knew after finding her that this was a homicide (won't be specific).

Not releasing cause of death.

Interesting that they declined to comment on the manner of death––perhaps they are keeping that close to the chest because 1) it is incredibly violent (granted, all murder of children are violent) and they don't want to put the community further on edge and/or (and I believe this is more likely) 2) they want to ensure that if a suspect is apprehended and confesses, that the confession won't be tainted by the manner of death being publicly announced in the media which could lead to a "false confession" argument being made by the defense at trial. MOO.

He said that they were able to say it was homicide right at the scene of where her body was which makes me wonder aside from the obvious that she was clearly deceased if she wasn't found half clothed or no clothed that leads them to think it. Especially since they are saying to the public to be vigilant. It seems its a classic case of S/A and dump the body.

Sadly it is how these cases typically end up

For those who are wondering why Lily appeared to take the long way home from her Aunt's house - neither route is very long. The route that involved the trail was probably more interesting to her, and maybe she enjoyed going that way more. I could see a kid on a bike choosing to go that way for the pleasure of biking on a pretty day.

It's also possible she encountered an older kid who convinced her to "go this way."

Interesting that they declined to comment on the manner of death––perhaps they are keeping that close to the chest because 1) it is incredibly violent (granted, all murder of children are violent) and they don't want to put the community further on edge and/or (and I believe this is more likely) 2) they want to ensure that if a suspect is apprehended and confesses, that the confession won't be tainted by the manner of death being publicly announced in the media which could lead to a "false confession" argument being made by the defense at trial. MOO.

Manner of death is homicide. Has the autopsy even been finished yet even if if they wanted to comment on the cause?

Okay so I just thought of something guys. You know how we are trying to make sense as to why she'd be taking that trail route home instead of going the shorter way? What if she wasn't going that trail route at all but the bike and her body was left here to make it look that way? Also it would make sense as to why LE would have missed seeing her or the bike last night.

Manner of death is homicide. Has the autopsy even been finished yet even if if they wanted to comment on the cause?
Doesn't sound like it. Even if it was though, it's entirely possible they'd keep that a secret, as it would help verify any potential witness statements/confession.

Okay so I just thought of something guys. You know how we are trying to make sense as to why she'd be taking that trail route home instead of going the shorter way? What if she wasn't going that trail route at all but the bike and her body was left here to make it look that way? Also it would make sense as to why LE would have missed seeing her or the bike last night.
Let's hope there are enough folks with cameras to nail it down and most importantly the monster who did this.

How is it that her bike was located by someone other than police? If you know that is. That’s what the initial police report says. I’m have trouble catching up.

Looking at a map of the area and it seems the more direct route home takes her over a vehicle bridge and the path through the woods comes out near the brewing place and it looks like a foot/pedestrian bridge over that water is right there.. maybe she felt safer going over that bridge vs taking her bike over the bridge cars travel on. I am an adult and I prefer biking on a trail vs the road/sidewalk. People are more distracted than ever and not paying attention when driving and also bridges might be more scary.

Google Maps

This is zoomed in on the vehicle bridge over the water and the intersection just after it seems rather large and maybe this is why she went on the path and around to the walking bridge. Seems that area is maybe less worrisome for a kid on a bike navigating the roads there. You can scroll out on this map and see the walking bridge just up top near the brewery and how that route seems safer for many reasons. Sadly, this day it was no safer :(

I’ve lurked here for a long time but made an account because I can literally see the trail from my house.:( I saw them searching last night and this morning when I took my dog out and wondered what they were doing, but there is a jail close by so I didn't think it was that unusual. The trail is super short and visible from the downtown area but there's a small creek that separates the two. There's a hill “behind” it and you can't see from that direction so it is sort of secluded but overall the area has tons of people walking and cars driving past because there's a public park/zoo right there. I’m so shocked that it happened here, but I’m even more shocked that it happened in an area that I consider to be fairly public. I feel sick and heartbroken for her.

I’ve lurked here for a long time but made an account because I can literally see the trail from my house.:( I saw them searching last night and this morning when I took my dog out and wondered what they were doing, but there is a jail close by so I didn't think it was that unusual. The trail is super short and visible from the downtown area but there's a small creek that separates the two. There's a hill “behind” it and you can't see from that direction so it is sort of secluded but overall the area has tons of people walking and cars driving past because there's a public park/zoo right there. I’m so shocked that it happened here, but I’m even more shocked that it happened in an area that I consider to be fairly public. I feel sick and heartbroken for her.

Welcome! Glad we have a local here that can give us more insight on everything. You may have to go about getting verified as a local though if I'm not mistaken!

Welcome to WS @chippewaffles and I'm very sorry that you and your community have to experience the tragedy of a murdered child. As a local, please know how appreciative we are of links to local news updates and/or pressers.

Welcome! Glad we have a local here that can give us more insight on everything. You may have to go about getting verified as a local though if I'm not mistaken!
I don't think she/he needs to do that if all he/she is doing is describing the area in which they live. If he/she has inside info then yes getting verified is a good idea. IMO

What exactly is Leinenkugel's Lodge? Restaurant/bar?

The lodge is basically a bar with a gift shop. They also have food trucks and events during the summer. It's mainly known for being a brewery though. It's not open late like a normal bar. Leinenkugels beer is extremely popular here and fairly popular throughout Wisconsin. The brewery is across the creek from the lodge and is next to where her body was found. There's a vehicle bridge and a really nice walking bridge that go over the creek.
Welcome to WS @chippewaffles and I'm very sorry that you and your community have to experience the tragedy of a murdered child. As a local, please know how appreciative we are of links to local news updates and/or pressers.
I believe someone posted the presser but the main newspapers are the Chippewa Herald and the Leader Telegram (in Eau Claire). WEAU for local TV

Thank you for your insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members