WI WI - James Yoblonski, 13, took family's car, found on USH 12, may be in Devil's Lake State Park area, Baraboo, 12 Jun 2023 *reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why is it suddenly everywhere after days of complete silence? To all say almost the same information with nothing new but at least they pick up he story again. That's a good thing!

I saw a post in a community group on Wednesday that seemed to get a lot of people tagging local news reporters, then Rachael from WKOW posted that the sheriff's department wasn't responding to them. That seemed to prompt them to make another statement.

I think the sheriff's department is investigating things behind the scenes. I hope that nothing awful has happened but with the length of time that has passed my hope is dwindling.

JUL 8, 2023
In an update Saturday, Sauk County Sheriff Chip Meister said multiple investigators are reviewing tips, interviews and electronic information to find the teen. Meister said other locations of interest have been searched, but did not give further details on where those locations were.

JUL 11, 2023
The search for James Yoblonski is still ongoing, a month after the 13-year-old from Reedsburg disappeared the morning of June 12.

A release from the Sauk County Sheriff’s Office on Friday indicated that the case remains an active investigation in which “all avenues are being looked into.”

[...]

A 13-year-old boy, James Yoblonski, is missing in south central Wisconsin. Authorities say they suspect that Yoblonski latest whereabouts are around Devil’s Lake State Park.

A 13-year-old boy, James Yoblonski, is missing in south central Wisconsin. Authorities say they suspect that Yoblonski latest whereabouts are around Devil’s Lake State Park.

The Sauk County Sheriff’s Office said it is still searching for a missing 13-year-old boy, James Yoblonski, over a month after he went missing near Devil’s Lake State Park.

Last month local law enforcement searched wooded areas along U.S. 12 near Devil's Lake State Park. The searches revealed several makeshift campsites and some clothing believed to belong to Yoblonski. The Wisconsin State Journal reported officials believe Yoblonski is trying to live off the grid as a survivalist.

Voluntarily missing or not, the kid is 13/14 years old - not legally able to make that decision! He should be considered missing and in danger.

I realize that kids run away all the time, but it seems pretty cavalier to imply, "Well, he wanted to live off the grid, so ... "

JUL 11, 2023
The search for James Yoblonski is still ongoing, a month after the 13-year-old from Reedsburg disappeared the morning of June 12.

A release from the Sauk County Sheriff’s Office on Friday indicated that the case remains an active investigation in which “all avenues are being looked into.”

[...]
Fire has abated. Careless humans.

Voluntarily missing or not, the kid is 13/14 years old - not legally able to make that decision! He should be considered missing and in danger.

I realize that kids run away all the time, but it seems pretty cavalier to imply, "Well, he wanted to live off the grid, so ... "
Absolutely. And the longer this goes on, it seems more unlikely that he is still out in the woods playing survivalist. It was extremely hot for Wisconsin right before the 4th. There are plenty of animals to eat and plenty of edibles to forage here, but I have a hard time believing a 13 year old would be able to subsist this long by living off the land. And it's a thickly forested area, but not remote at all and really not that large. I don't believe he could have hidden himself and any trace of his presence even for the couple weeks they were more actively searching.

I'm a little surprised he hasn't been located. He's only 13. I have a feeling he was going through a very difficult time. How has he hidden so well?
There's no way. In my opinion, either something happened to cause his passing and he just hasn't been found, or someone picked him up and is holding him against his will or hiding him if it's somewhere he wants to be. The statement from Crime Stoppers about harboring a runaway makes me wonder.

Grew up near Baraboo. Very familiar with the Devil's Lake area

Although there are no federal public lands in the vicinity, there are numerous state public lands that are: 1) contiguous 2) remote 3) very lightly traveled

Imo, he could definitely still be out there without too much difficulty...

-The weather this time of year there is very forgiving, even overnight
-There are no predators except humans
-There is ample water

In terms of food,
hopefully someone is keeping tabs on places where he could go to acquire food. However, if he was planning this in advance he could have cached all his food ahead of time. Or he could be hunting

He could easily be out there until the temps get too cold as long as he can access food. If he brought the gun to assist with hunting he shouldn't have any issues acquiring food if he is hunting illegally

Last edited:
Devil's Lake is also directly connected to Parfey's Glen and Baxter's Hollow. Lots of other public lands further away that wouldn't take too much of a trek to get to.
Wonder if anyone has checked the old military/ammunition base nearby (across from Dr. Evermore's)? It seems like there could be a lot of good places to hide there...

Last edited:
Maybe James read Ishmael or something similar & just needed a break? I was there at his age & I'm still feeling it every day 20+ years later. Some people can't function in this oppressive & exploitative "society"

If you're reading this James you don't have to hide! There are lots of people that feel the same way as you! You have a worldwide community - you are not alone in your feelings. You can live an alternative lifestyle. There are many other ways to successfully & happily live life outside of what is considered "normal"

Last edited:
Yoblonski's father, Bill Yoblonski, sat down with 27 News and said waiting for answers has been a nightmare.

"It's your worst nightmare coming true," Bill said.

"I wanna know where he's at," he said. "I don't care why he did it, I just wanna know where he's at and I want him home."

"[It's been] a living hell," he said. "Not sleeping, nightmares, getting tips from different people and searching different fields.“

"He wasn't in bed so I checked the bathroom, he wasn't there, so when I turned around and looked out the window, the van was gone," Bill added.

"I'm not getting a lot of answers from the sheriff's department," he explained. "I'm getting some, but a lot of unanswered questions."

"I'm thinking it was an abduction," he said. "There's no clues in the woods."

"I just want him home," he added.

Last edited:
JUL 13, 2023

Timeline of James going missing, search efforts

• June 12: The Yoblonski family reported James missing. Authorities found the family car on the side of U.S. Highway 12, near Devil's Lake State Park. Later, the family also reported a handgun in the home was gone.
  • June 17: Local law enforcement found several makeshift campsites and some clothing believed to belong to Yoblonski, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. It was then officials believed Yoblonski is trying to live off the grid as a survivalist. The outlet also reported that two officers had been sent to the hospital for injuries resulting from trying to navigate the Baraboo Bluffs while looking for Yoblonski.
  • June 25: Bill Yoblonski, the father of James Yoblonski, organized a search effort via Facebook.
  • June 26: Sauk County Sherriff Chip Meister reported police were focusing energy on patrol searches, rather than ground searches.
  • July 7: The Sherriff's office released an update that the investigation is still "active" and they are still investigating areas of interest near where Yoblonski went missing.

Yoblonski's father, Bill Yoblonski, sat down with 27 News and said waiting for answers has been a nightmare.

"It's your worst nightmare coming true," Bill said.

"I wanna know where he's at," he said. "I don't care why he did it, I just wanna know where he's at and I want him home."

"[It's been] a living hell," he said. "Not sleeping, nightmares, getting tips from different people and searching different fields.“

"He wasn't in bed so I checked the bathroom, he wasn't there, so when I turned around and looked out the window, the van was gone," Bill added.

"I'm not getting a lot of answers from the sheriff's department," he explained. "I'm getting some, but a lot of unanswered questions."

"I'm thinking it was an abduction," he said. "There's no clues in the woods."

"I just want him home," he added.
Until reading this report about James' father saying he suspects his son was taken, the thought had not occurred to me that James was not gone on his own accord. James was taken.

That could explain why his phone was found abandoned.
That could explain why he is always a step ahead of LE searchers.
That could explain the missing gun bc it was taken along with James and the family van.

That would constitute an Emergency to locate James Yoblonski.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana
Back