WI WI - James Yoblonski, 13, took family's car, found on USH 12, may be in Devil's Lake State Park area, Baraboo, 12 Jun 2023 *reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Until reading this report about James' father saying he suspects his son was taken, the thought had not occurred to me that James was not gone on his own accord. James was taken.

That could explain why his phone was found abandoned.
That could explain why he is always a step ahead of LE searchers.
That could explain the missing gun bc it was taken along with James and the family van.

That would constitute an Emergency to locate James

Until reading this report about James' father saying he suspects his son was taken, the thought had not occurred to me that James was not gone on his own accord. James was taken.

That could explain why his phone was found abandoned.
That could explain why he is always a step ahead of LE searchers.
That could explain the missing gun bc it was taken along with James and the family van.

That would constitute an Emergency to locate James Yoblonski.
Yes, it's an emergency!!! He's too young for it to not to be an emergency crisis situation

Last edited:
Yes, it's an emergency!!! He's too young for it to not to be an emergency crisis situation
Definitely. Many comments I've read elsewhere seem like a lot of people think it's a cool "My Side of the Mountain" situation. But that is the fantasy, not the reality. James supposedly took a couple of survival guides with him. But that's not the same as being a kid who was brought up being taught survival skills hands-on, and there are many dangers.

Also, LE said they are keeping all possibilities open and the father said that now he thinks James was kidnapped. So we don't know that James did decide to go off into the woods to rough it after all. At one point LE said they found a footprint but they didn't say whose footprint it was. The campsites could even have been staged; who knows. He could have been taken to the woods against his will. Or he could have stayed in the woods for a short time, then gone elsewhere, on his own, at thirteen. Or worse.

I wonder about the announcement LE made to the public about how assisting a runaway is a crime. If that was a "just in case" kind of statement or if it means they think someone is helping him hide out.

Also, I was surprised when I looked up how long crime lab test results take to come back. Even with a rush order, it can be weeks or months, depending on the type of tests. If they sent anything to be analyzed.

Last edited:
My opinion only is that he's voluntarily missing and is either hidden well or has left the area on foot. That he was able to access a gun contributes to the emergency. We don't have evidence to think he's been abducted, do we?
Personally, I don't think there's enough evidence for any theory over another at this point.

It seemed like at first, LE leaned toward the theory that James had voluntarily left to rough it in the woods, which I think was mainly because of the report they got from the father.

Later, LE said they were looking at all possibilities and the father said he thought James may have been kidnapped after all, instead of leaving voluntarily.

Which leaves us back at square one? MOO

Last edited:
"My son is not a danger to anybody else or himself," Bill Yoblonski said in a Facebook post. "I just want him home."

Sauk County Lieutenant Steven Schram told ABC affiliate WKOW Yoblonski had expressed interest in being a survivalist.

"Without being able to add context to it, it's difficult to do anything besides make assumptions," he told the outlet. "The only person at this point that could truly tell us without any shred of doubt would be James."

"By no means are we giving up the search for James, we're just trying to get as much information as possible and tracking down every single piece of information that comes in to prove whether it's relevant," Schram explained. "We can't rule anything out until we can absolutely rule it out."

If James is living off the grid, the cold weather will eventually send him indoors, unless he decides to hike south when the weather changes?

Assuming he is voluntarily living off the grid, my immediate concern is he could injure himself without access to help and/or get lost and unable to get to help.

For the moment, I'm assuming the best and that he is testing his grit. Cruel thing to do to his family, though, to leave them wondering and worrying.

Again, assuming he is okay in the woods, I do wonder how he is dealing with mosquitos. Not a silly question - they are thick in the woods, enough to drive a person crazy.

Hopeful for a good outcome.

jmo

"My son is not a danger to anybody else or himself," Bill Yoblonski said in a Facebook post. "I just want him home."

Sauk County Lieutenant Steven Schram told ABC affiliate WKOW Yoblonski had expressed interest in being a survivalist.

"Without being able to add context to it, it's difficult to do anything besides make assumptions," he told the outlet. "The only person at this point that could truly tell us without any shred of doubt would be James."

"By no means are we giving up the search for James, we're just trying to get as much information as possible and tracking down every single piece of information that comes in to prove whether it's relevant," Schram explained. "We can't rule anything out until we can absolutely rule it out."
Below is a snippet from the article linked in the post above. It says they're focusing on "patrol searches" rather than "ground searches." Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?
  • June 26: Sauk County Sherriff Chip Meister reported police were focusing energy on patrol searches, rather than ground searches.

Below is a snippet from the article linked in the post above. It says they're focusing on "patrol searches" rather than "ground searches." Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?
  • June 26: Sauk County Sherriff Chip Meister reported police were focusing energy on patrol searches, rather than ground searches.
Perhaps by air?

James Yoblonski, who went missing June 12, is a great-nephew of Andy Wegner, who is married to Laurie Depies' mother Mary Wegner.

Laurie Depies of Appleton, disappeared from outside her boyfriend's apartment complex at age 20 on Aug. 19, 1992. Despite an investigation spanning decades, her case remains open.

For Mary, hearing of Yoblonski's disappearance resurfaced many of the same feelings Laurie's did: "Fear, anxiousness, sick to my stomach and a thought of 'no, not again,'" she said

Even though the search turned up no sign of the boy, Mary said it "was rewarding in that we got a chance to actually help and participate in a fashion."

For her part, she believes something happened to James out in the woods after two weeks missing.

"He might be crafty and have survivalist guides and skills, but he is only 13," she said. "Never did I ever think Laurie would disappear in 1992, but she's been gone 31 years."

If James is living off the grid, the cold weather will eventually send him indoors, unless he decides to hike south when the weather changes?

Assuming he is voluntarily living off the grid, my immediate concern is he could injure himself without access to help and/or get lost and unable to get to help.

For the moment, I'm assuming the best and that he is testing his grit. Cruel thing to do to his family, though, to leave them wondering and worrying.

Again, assuming he is okay in the woods, I do wonder how he is dealing with mosquitos. Not a silly question - they are thick in the woods, enough to drive a person crazy.

Hopeful for a good outcome.

jmo
I just don't see how a 13 year old with no apparent survival training other than some books could "leave no trace" other than a single campsite.

Whether or not James is missing voluntarily, I've been concerned by the reminder that "two searchers were hospitalized with injuries stemming from falls. Public involvement in the search, while allowed, is discouraged for this reason."

It seems if TWO trained searchers had "falls" requiring hospitalization, then it is very likely James could also have been similarly injured.

I just don't see how a 13 year old with no apparent survival training other than some books could "leave no trace" other than a single campsite.
It is my understanding that in the beginning, there were many "traces" leading them to believe he was in the woods. Whether or not those traces were left by James is the real question.

Search crews told 27 News Friday they found a second campsite in the Baraboo Bluffs while searching for missing 13-year-old James Yoblonski, but they cannot be sure if it belongs to him.

The campsite was located late Thursday, and more signs of life were found nearby Friday.

"We found a pair of socks ... that looked like it had not been there very long," Sauk County Lt. Steven Schram said. "We found a knife sheath that looked like it had been dropped right next to the socks."

"He is likely in possession of one of a series of books entitled 'living off the grid,' which has information in it to survive in the woods by yourself, including water filtration, how to build camps," Schram said. "Some of that is what's leading us to believe that the structures that we're finding are probably left by James, because they're built in a way that mirrors what was in that book."

I wonder if the father is thinking that James went missing voluntarily, as all evidence indicates, but then was picked up by someone after the fact. I'm thinking he means that it wasn't a planned kidnapping but maybe someone took advantage of an opportunity when it presented itself after James ran off on his own. It would explain why there is no real evidence to support the theory.

When we start listing possibilities and combinations of possibilities, there are really quite a lot of them. I stopped counting at about a dozen:

James went into the woods voluntarily.

And is either still there and doing okay, still there and not doing okay, no longer there, or deceased.

James was taken into the woods involuntarily.

And is either still there alive and okay, alive and not okay, no longer there or deceased.

James never went into the woods at all, and instead was trafficked or murdered, with the campsite being staged.

James staged the campsite himself, then went elsewhere.

Or some combination of the above.

Also, could there be a link between this and the relative's disappearance thirty years ago? (That seems a little far-fetched to me but then this ALL seems a little far-fetched to me).

I've read about investigators on the case but wonder how advanced of a level they're at, in such a remote area. Not that LE from a sparsely populated area can't be good but of course they likely lack the resources all around that a larger organization (state police, FBI etc.) would have. Also wonder how extensive the investigation has been, aside from the searches of the woods, and if anything is awaiting results that will shed more light (phone and internet history, items from the campsites sent to a crime lab etc.)

If they have some highly trained people on the job, adequate LE budget and access to advanced capabilities, then they'd likely be up against a kid or an amateur criminal, which would strongly tilt the case in favor of the case being solved imo.

Hopefully, James just walks out the woods and back home very soon, into being in big trouble at home but a big hero at school. :)

All MOO.

Last edited:
When we start listing possibilities and combinations of possibilities, there are really quite a lot of them. I stopped counting at about a dozen:

And is either still there and doing okay, still there and not doing okay, no longer there, or deceased.

And is either still there alive and okay, alive and not okay, no longer there or deceased.

James never went into the woods at all, and instead was trafficked or murdered, with the campsite being staged.

Also, could there be a link between this and the relative's disappearance thirty years ago? (That seems a little far-fetched to me but then this ALL seems a little far-fetched to me).

I've read about investigators on the case but wonder how advanced of a level they're at, in such a remote area. Not that LE from a sparsely populated area can't be good but of course they likely lack the resources all around that a larger organization (state police, FBI etc.) would have. Also wonder how extensive the investigation has been, aside from the searches of the woods, and if anything is awaiting results that will shed more light (phone and internet history, items from the campsites sent to a crime lab etc.)

If they have some highly trained people on the job, adequate LE budget and access to advanced capabilities, then they'd likely be up against a kid or an amateur criminal, which would strongly tilt the case in favor of the case being solved imo.

Hopefully, James just walks out the woods and back home very soon, into being in big trouble at home but a big hero at school. :)

All MOO.
There are so many possibilities. When this first happened i never would have guessed he wouldnt have been located within a few days.

Also regarding Sauk County Sheriff's Office and experience level, as well as the remoteness of the area. The Wilderness areas where James allegedly went missing are thickly forested but not especially remote. The highway where the van was located is heavily traveled, and we are very close to Dane County where Madison is located. We are a larger county that benefits from lots of tourism money coming into the area, and the Sheriff's Dept has a sizable budget. Additionally, rope rescues/remote rescues are common due to the number of people coming to Devils Lake and other state parks/ natural areas who are unfamiliar with the terrain and hike in areas that are too advanced for their level of experience. All of the surrounding law enforcement agencies have assisted with these at one point or another. I doubt that resources/ inexperience contributed significantly to being able to locate James, based on interactions I have had with local law enforcement agencies/ emergency management.

All MOO.
There are so many possibilities. When this first happened i never would have guessed he wouldnt have been located within a few days.

Also regarding Sauk County Sheriff's Office and experience level, as well as the remoteness of the area. The Wilderness areas where James allegedly went missing are thickly forested but not especially remote. The highway where the van was located is heavily traveled, and we are very close to Dane County where Madison is located. We are a larger county that benefits from lots of tourism money coming into the area, and the Sheriff's Dept has a sizable budget. Additionally, rope rescues/remote rescues are common due to the number of people coming to Devils Lake and other state parks/ natural areas who are unfamiliar with the terrain and hike in areas that are too advanced for their level of experience. All of the surrounding law enforcement agencies have assisted with these at one point or another. I doubt that resources/ inexperience contributed significantly to being able to locate James, based on interactions I have had with local law enforcement agencies/ emergency management.

I think these areas are very remote by Midwest standards. I don't think search & rescue could cover all of this ground that quickly, even with the resources they have. Do they even have dedicated search & rescue volunteers in this area?

I think these areas are very remote by Midwest standards. I don't think search & rescue could cover all of this ground that quickly, even with the resources they have. Do they even have dedicated search & rescue volunteers in this area?
I guess that depends on what you mean by remote. Is it rugged, yes. Remote, no - it's half an hour from Madison off a major 4 lane highway. There are larger parcels of undeveloped land, some of it is a state park, some of it is state natural areas. To me it's not really that rugged or remote though. Maybe because I live here, and am used to this type of terrain, it doesn't seem to me like that difficult an area to search in. Wildcat Mountain State Park is rugged and remote and much more difficult terrain to navigate.

Regarding dedicated search and rescue, yes Wisconsin has that and we share resources throughout the state. LE/EMS agencies in the area specialize in different things (water rescue, rope rescue, search dogs, drug dogs, etc) and we also have state resources like the dnr, forestry. They weren't willing to bring in untrained volunteers or private search and rescue (that I'm aware of) but when i drove past in the week afterward there were 30ish vehicles parked at the site, including trucks pulling trailers for off road vehicles. Our county has money and the resources are there, it looked to me like they were utilizing those in the days after he went missing.

Maybe James read Ishmael or something similar & just needed a break? I was there at his age & I'm still feeling it every day 20+ years later. Some people can't function in this oppressive & exploitative "society"

If you're reading this James you don't have to hide! There are lots of people that feel the same way as you! You have a worldwide community - you are not alone in your feelings. You can live an alternative lifestyle. There are many other ways to successfully & happily live life outside of what is considered "normal"
Was he being bullied at school maybe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana
Back