WI WI - James Yoblonski, 13, took family's car, found on USH 12, may be in Devil's Lake State Park area, Baraboo, 12 Jun 2023 *reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but it's a take I hadn't thought of previously.

"Law enforcement is currently attempting to "reduce visible impact" from officers and the public, as Schram believes that this could push James further away and into an area that he is unfamiliar with."

Last edited:
Something that really bothers me is that his clothing was found at the campsites that law enforcement located.

I wouldn't abandon any of my belongings if I was planning to survive in the wild long-term...unless I had brought too many things to carry

Could his discarded items indicate a staging of these campsites or just overpacking?

I'm heartbroken about James being missing. I wish I could be out there looking for him. I'm extremely familiar with this area, but I live very far away now

Last edited:
I guess I have hope for James. :)

I live in a very rural area and the kids around here could definitely survive in the woods a very long time. I'm not too sure about James' background and how he was raised, but rural kids are tough. I wouldn't for a second discount the skills that some of these kids have (at a VERY young age, too!).

They are taught shooting, hunting, field dressing, processing, survival skills, and much more. Depending on how he was brought up and how resourceful he can be, I'd say there is a good chance of him still being alive.

I live in a very rural area and the kids around here could definitely survive in the woods a very long time. I'm not too sure about James' background and how he was raised, but rural kids are tough. I wouldn't for a second discount the skills that some of these kids have (at a VERY young age, too!).

They are taught shooting, hunting, field dressing, processing, survival skills, and much more. Depending on how he was brought up and how resourceful he can be, I'd say there is a good chance of him still being alive.
Same.

Something that really bothers me is that his clothing was found at the campsites that law enforcement located.

I wouldn't abandon any of my belongings if I was planning to survive in the wild long-term...unless I had brought too many things to carry

Could his discarded items indicate a staging of these campsites or just overpacking?

I'm heartbroken about James being missing. I wish I could be out there looking for him. I'm extremely familiar with this area, but I live very far away now
I could almost guarantee he was carrying too much weight and had to make sacrifices, especially with his desire/need to stay mobile to evade searchers. After my first backpacking trip, I swore to myself I'd never haul so much unnecessary stuff again. When it comes to pack weights, every single ounce matters when you're mobile.

JUL 20, 2023
Bill Yoblonski told our sister station 27 News he is offering the reward specifically for information that will locate James -- not just for tips.

He said he desperately wants his son home and hopes the reward might encourage someone to come forward with information.

• After three days of looking for Yoblonski, searchers had covered around 5,000 acres.
  • Deputies found the teen’s property in a makeshift camp, according to Sheriff Chip Meister.
In an interview with News 3 Now Thursday afternoon, Yoblonski's father Bill Yoblonski said he established the reward "because there hasn't been any more... information leading to finding him."

The reward, the elder Yoblonski said, is "to bring him home only -- it's not on tips."

While search efforts for his son continue, Yoblonski said it's been more than two weeks since he's received any tips in the case.

Could this indicate a staging of these campsites or just overpacking?

I used to teach 4H in a rural area. That's why I'm so curious about his previous experience. The kids I taught could absolutely survive these conditions. If James was raised on hunting & fishing I have no doubt he could still be in good shape out there

I could almost guarantee he was carrying too much weight and had to make sacrifices, especially with his desire/need to stay mobile to evade searchers. After my first backpacking trip, I swore to myself I'd never haul so much unnecessary stuff again. When it comes to pack weights, every single ounce matters when you're mobile.
I had never thought about evasion until I read that news article.
I definitely try to carry less every time I backpack

I'd really like to hear more about his previous experience and the equipment he had access to

Usually when a wilderness traveler is missing we get information about their gear. What kind of equipment could he have had? What colors?

Last edited:
I hope the community is really supporting James' dad through this, though. That he has real friends who are there for him.
A teenager wouldn't be old enough to truly understand what a parent would go through when the teen goes missing.

I'm not certain of my memory but didn't we read that James is very tall, over six feet already? I'm wondering if he could "pass" as an adult if he went back into civilization anywhere where he wasn't recognized, maybe with sunglasses and a hat? I wonder if his voice has finished changing.

In looking at James Yoblonski's photo, I wonder if he typically wore a short haircut and it was short when he departed home. Hair growth from his missing date of June 12 to today July 21 would be 39 days. Average hair growth in a month is .5" He's probably too young to grow facial hair.
I think James has an adorable "baby" face but his height may make him appear older than 13yo. When is his birthdate?

What I find to be a bit alarming, but it may not be to others who have FB, is that this image of James is the absolutely only photo I can find of James as I looked for a full size image

Source for photo: Sauk Co Sheriff's Office via USA Today
1689960407685.png

I hope the community is really supporting James' dad through this, though. That he has real friends who are there for him.
A teenager wouldn't be old enough to truly understand what a parent would go through when the teen goes missing.
I do hope he has a community, it makes such s difference. This is just the latest in a string of tragedies our community has had that have involved young people in the past few months but i haven't seen locals organizing any efforts to support the family at all the way they showed up in other situations. They appear to have moved here in 2019 but James was open enrolled in a neighboring school district, and they lived in a very small unincorporated area. It doesn't seem like they have many local connections. I hope his village is wherever they used to live and is showing up for himm in other ways.

In looking at James Yoblonski's photo, I wonder if he typically wore a short haircut and it was short when he departed home. Hair growth from his missing date of June 12 to today July 21 would be 39 days. Average hair growth in a month is .5" He's probably too young to grow facial hair.
I think James has an adorable "baby" face but his height may make him appear older than 13yo. When is his birthdate?

What I find to be a bit alarming, but it may not be to others who have FB, is that this image of James is the absolutely only photo I can find of James as I looked for a full size image

Source for photo: Sauk Co Sheriff's Office via USA Today

I also found it odd that there weren't other pictures available and I'm curious how recent that picture was. It definitely looks like a standard school pic which, at least here, are taken within the first couple weeks of the school year. Not sure how much that varies school to school though. If it was taken at the beginning of last year, James may look a whole lot different nearly a year later. He certainly doesn't look like a nearly 6' tall kid in that picture. I hope it is the baby face throwing me off.

I also found it odd that there weren't other pictures available and I'm curious how recent that picture was. It definitely looks like a standard school pic which, at least here, are taken within the first couple weeks of the school year. Not sure how much that varies school to school though. If it was taken at the beginning of last year, James may look a whole lot different nearly a year later. He certainly doesn't look like a nearly 6' tall kid in that picture. I hope it is the baby face throwing me off.

My kid really gets upset if I try to take photos.
Maybe the one that they put out for the public shows the best still photo that is also up close?

JMO

He's been missing since June 12

There is plentiful water and food (if hunting and/or fishing)

There are also lots of natural caves in the area and many abandoned structures on the decommissioned military base that could be used for shelter. Although the weather is temperate enough that one could comfortably sleep outside there in summer
How deep into the woods is the former military base? Has it been searched?

How deep into the woods is the former military base? Has it been searched?
The former army ammunition plant (Badger Ammunition) is located right off of highway 12, directly adjoining Devil's Lake natural area and not far from Baxter's Hollow natural area. It's a former prairie. I remember most of it being tall, dense grass, but some is forested

3,400 acres of it is now available for public access as "Sauk Prairie Recreation Area"
Not sure what's happening with the rest of the land as it was 7,000+ acres

There were a lot of old bunkers that were still mostly intact when I visited a few years ago, along with various other abandoned buildings

A volunteer search took place in this area per dad's FB, but not sure how extensive it was.
Not sure if public agencies searched there

Last edited:
What are the rules about posting information found in a public Facebook group?

Here is the thread about social media rules:

Mr Yoblonski said he will mortgage their home in a desperate appeal for any information to help bring his son back.

'The $10,000 reward is only if he's found. In the last three weeks, we haven't gotten any tips or anything,' he told WiscNews earlier this week.

Sauk County Sheriff Lt. Steven Schram said that after using police search dogs, a makeshift campsite was found near Baraboo and Devil's Lake State Park on both sides of Highway 12. A second campsite was also found, according to News 3.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83
Back