WI WI - James Yoblonski, 13, took family's car, found on USH 12, may be in Devil's Lake State Park area, Baraboo, 12 Jun 2023 *reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A few weeks ago I saw a picture of myself taken back when I was in college. At the time, I was 5'11" and weighed about 170 pounds, and I was surprised at how lean I looked in the photo...there wasn't an ounce of fat on me. If Jacob is truly 5'11" and weighs only 120 pounds, he's a walking skeleton. He certainly doesn't have any fat reserves to count on in a survival situation. If he's still alive, I doubt he's still in that patch of woods. Hunting to survive is one thing, doing it while on the run, trying to elude searchers is another.

He might have hopped aboard a freight train and ridden it to anywhere.

In the beginning, I accepted the episode of James driving the family van in order to live off the grid for a while as an organic event but I've begun to reconsider.

Perhaps James was being groomed to live off the grid but I don't know why [books his dad bought/ 1 of which J has w/ him, according to Dad. His father has cancelled his own camping trips]. Was James' on a 'survivor's mission'?

Was James being homeschooled? What grade is he in? Was his school dismissed for summer by May 12 or was school still in session? What precipitated the stealing of the family van bc that's really a big deal, esp. considering he's nowhere to be found.

Maybe James is gone bc of more than an idea to try the van life bc his van has been located. His cellphone, his lifeline, to the outside world was left behind not far from the van.

Dad doesn't want tips.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2023/07/24/james-yoblonski-dad-to-mortgage-home-offers-10k-reward-for-son-who-disappeared-with-gun/

"He mentioned that the reward money will be sourced from mortgaging his house.

“The $10,000 reward is only if he’s found,” William told WISCNEWS. “In the last three weeks, we haven’t gotten any tips or anything.”

He added that he has been collaborating with a professional tracker to help in the search."

In the beginning, I accepted the episode of James driving the family van in order to live off the grid for a while as an organic event but I've begun to reconsider.

Perhaps James was being groomed to live off the grid but I don't know why [books his dad bought/ 1 of which J has w/ him, according to Dad. His father has cancelled his own camping trips]. Was James' on a 'survivor's mission'?

Was James being homeschooled? What grade is he in? Was his school dismissed for summer by May 12 or was school still in session? What precipitated the stealing of the family van bc that's really a big deal, esp. considering he's nowhere to be found.

Maybe James is gone bc of more than an idea to try the van life bc his van has been located. His cellphone, his lifeline, to the outside world was left behind not far from the van.

Dad doesn't want tips.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2023/07/24/james-yoblonski-dad-to-mortgage-home-offers-10k-reward-for-son-who-disappeared-with-gun/

“The $10,000 reward is only if he’s found,” William told WISCNEWS. “In the last three weeks, we haven’t gotten any tips or anything.”

He added that he has been collaborating with a professional tracker to help in the search."

Not sure if you meant anything specific by “Dad doesn’t want tips”.
It’s common practice that tips in response to a reward or otherwise are to be directed to LE. Often providing personal contact information invites the crazies to contact family.

Dad doesn't want tips.

He was enrolled in public school, they finished school on June 8.

There are definitely other angles being investigated as Dad said in the article, and I believe multiple agencies are involved with this.

By not wanting tips, Dad means that the reward won't be offered for tips, just for information that leads to finding James.

I'm on the fence - I really don't know what to think. But I am VERY curious how he is handling the mosquitoes. No joke. Two weeks in the woods would require a lot of repellant or you would go crazy. So, does he have a stash of bug spray?

jmo
Until a couple weeks ago, it had actually been very dry here. I'm sure there were still mosquitos in the deep woods but probably a lot less than there usually are.

I have a 13 year old son myself. 13 year old boys are so impulsive, i think it's a rare 13 yo who would be able to survive that long in the woods. I suspect something has happened in the woods and he's no longer earthside, or someone took him from that area.

Has LE discussed animal activity?
I'm sure they have considered that as a possibility, it is not uncommon to have bears passing through this area, and occasionally a cougar. I am wondering when the last time they canvassed the area with dogs was.

Edit: forgot to say I have not seen any official mention of tracking wildlife through the area by LE.

Not sure if you meant anything specific by “Dad doesn’t want tips”.
It’s common practice that tips in response to a reward or otherwise are to be directed to LE. Often providing personal contact information invites the crazies to contact family.
Simple. The answer was in the post though.

The father wants James. He does not want tips.

“The $10,000 reward is only if he’s found,”

JUL 29, 2023
(Video)
  • James had never spent a night in the woods before his disappearance according to the reporter.
  • Former FBI special agent: Authorities are limited to ground searches
  • Expert: Yoblonski is likely experiencing the mental impacts of isolation
  • James' father said James never told him that he wanted to "live off the grid" but James did share that with classmates.

Last edited:
ALL IMO.

This incident gives me hope James is still alive. These kids were alone for 40 days and the oldest was only 13 taking care of an 11 month old, 4 yo, & 9 yo (not to mention they survived a plane crash!). Plus this happened in the actual jungle. James is in the Wisconsin forest in the summer... If he was your traditional U.S. rural kid that grows up learning self-reliance, I wouldn't at all be surprised he's still alive. Rural kids are raised/built differently than city/suburban kids, just sayin'.

James, I'm not counting you out!!

I really like this take, but these kids weren't rural American kids...

From the article:
"They are members of the Huitoto people, and officials said the oldest children in the group had some knowledge of how to survive in the rainforest"

On the other hand, maybe you are on to something! These kids didn't have a chance to prepare in advance like James did.

Is there any reason why we blv he is positively NOT at a friend's hiding out? Or that a friend is not bringing stockpiles occasionally? I ask bc I have a giant basket of snacks & if 10 of the snacks were missing i'd thnk my kids & their friends were extra hungry 1 week or that maybe one family wasn't doing so good on the grocery front and not say a word abt it. Is there another set of woods nearby or mother in laws suite, or garage or shed out back of a friend's house? I know it was explored initially but here we are over a month later.

I grew up in rural WI and (IME) that means absolutely nothing as far as being a 'survivalist' or 'living off the grid.' And if JY had never even spent a night in the woods before then (LINK), I'm not buying that a few books would give him the practical know-how or instinct to be able to survive on his own long-term.

I really hope that they're digging deep into JY's online activity and considering the possibility that he may have planned this out with someone whom he may have thought he could trust. The longer this goes on with no sign of him, the more likely it seems that someone else was involved.

(LINK to a case from last year in which a 13yo boy was kidnapped by a man he met online - they had made 'camping out somewhere off the grid' plans as well, IIRC)

Is there any reason why we blv he is positively NOT at a friend's hiding out? Or that a friend is not bringing stockpiles occasionally? I ask bc I have a giant basket of snacks & if 10 of the snacks were missing i'd thnk my kids & their friends were extra hungry 1 week or that maybe one family wasn't doing so good on the grocery front and not say a word abt it. Is there another set of woods nearby or mother in laws suite, or garage or shed out back of a friend's house? I know it was explored initially but here we are over a month later.
Not really related, but my sister in law hid a friend in my father in laws shed for like 2 weeks. The friend had run away from home and my inlaws had no clue she was there. She would come inside when everyone had left for work, shower, eat their food etc. Only my sister-in-law knew until my father in law came home early from work and caught the friend in the house. This was back in the early 80s though so I think it was easier to get away with doing something like this.

I grew up in rural WI and (IME) that means absolutely nothing as far as being a 'survivalist' or 'living off the grid.' And if JY had never even spent a night in the woods before then (LINK), I'm not buying that a few books would give him the practical know-how or instinct to be able to survive on his own long-term.

I really hope that they're digging deep into JY's online activity and considering the possibility that he may have planned this out with someone whom he may have thought he could trust. The longer this goes on with no sign of him, the more likely it seems that someone else was involved.

(LINK to a case from last year in which a 13yo boy was kidnapped by a man he met online - they had made 'camping out somewhere off the grid' plans as well, IIRC)
I'm definitely changing my tune upon learning that James had never went camping before. It seems unlikely he would have access to any camping equipment.
I also hope they are exploring that possibility. I've never heard of this scenario happening with a young boy!!!

I don't think that it's impossible for James to survive on his own. It's actually quite possible. When you have no other chance other than survive, you just do it.
I get what you're saying, but in that particular location, he would have other options, and IMO, most kids would have taken those options by this point. (After all, 7 weeks is a long time for actual, adult survivalists who know what they're doing to stay out in the woods by themselves!) And this isn't some isolated, inaccessible place hours from civilization. Even in the most out-of-the-way parts of the forest, it's probably less than five miles from a highway and maybe ten miles from the nearest town. There's campsites and emergency phones in the park as well. A kid with those options isn't just going to sit in the woods and slowly starve when he knows he can just walk out of there at any time.

IMO. MOO. IANAS. (I am not a survivalist)

I don't think that it's impossible for James to survive on his own. It's actually quite possible. When you have no other chance other than survive, you just do it.
I think it's unlikely, but I will concede that it is possible. But IF that's what he's doing - what would motivate a 13 yo boy to leave his family and access to his phone (my 13 yo's lifeline) for this amount of time? Like something in his life would have to be really wrong for him to take that step (this is my opinion only obviously).

I really don't think he's there anymore though.

It was stated early on that James had made comments to friends about this sort of thing before and even asked how long they thought he could make it out in the woods. Having been a teenager many years ago and having my own trio of teenagers currently who often bring many more teenagers around, I could absolutely see a teenager being stubborn enough to rough it as long as possible just to prove they could do something or to win a bet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444
Back