WI WI - James Yoblonski, 13, took family's car, found on USH 12, may be in Devil's Lake State Park area, Baraboo, 12 Jun 2023 *reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is my understanding that in the beginning, there were many "traces" leading them to believe he was in the woods. Whether or not those traces were left by James is the real question.

Search crews told 27 News Friday they found a second campsite in the Baraboo Bluffs while searching for missing 13-year-old James Yoblonski, but they cannot be sure if it belongs to him.

The campsite was located late Thursday, and more signs of life were found nearby Friday.

"We found a pair of socks ... that looked like it had not been there very long," Sauk County Lt. Steven Schram said. "We found a knife sheath that looked like it had been dropped right next to the socks."

"He is likely in possession of one of a series of books entitled 'living off the grid,' which has information in it to survive in the woods by yourself, including water filtration, how to build camps," Schram said. "Some of that is what's leading us to believe that the structures that we're finding are probably left by James, because they're built in a way that mirrors what was in that book."
If James leaves belongings behind him, even with books to help him, how this 13 years could all do this running by himself and still be find? Water filtartion for 33 days? Building a third campsite and leaving other belongins? How about clothes, bad weather, food, sickness, injuries? Aways worrying days and nights not be found. Could being of grid so long be too much for a not yet teen all alone? I don't think he is able to stop all the time to read his books and learn about next steps. Is it OK to put so much weight on survivalism? As time goes, it was a good explanation at first but now ... Really, really wondering if all this is still possible after more than 30 days.

I guess that depends on what you mean by remote. Is it rugged, yes. Remote, no - it's half an hour from Madison off a major 4 lane highway. There are larger parcels of undeveloped land, some of it is a state park, some of it is state natural areas. To me it's not really that rugged or remote though. Maybe because I live here, and am used to this type of terrain, it doesn't seem to me like that difficult an area to search in. Wildcat Mountain State Park is rugged and remote and much more difficult terrain to navigate.

Regarding dedicated search and rescue, yes Wisconsin has that and we share resources throughout the state. LE/EMS agencies in the area specialize in different things (water rescue, rope rescue, search dogs, drug dogs, etc) and we also have state resources like the dnr, forestry. They weren't willing to bring in untrained volunteers or private search and rescue (that I'm aware of) but when i drove past in the week afterward there were 30ish vehicles parked at the site, including trucks pulling trailers for off road vehicles. Our county has money and the resources are there, it looked to me like they were utilizing those in the days after he went missing.
I guess that depends on what you mean by remote. Is it rugged, yes. Remote, no - it's half an hour from Madison off a major 4 lane highway. There are larger parcels of undeveloped land, some of it is a state park, some of it is state natural areas. To me it's not really that rugged or remote though. Maybe because I live here, and am used to this type of terrain, it doesn't seem to me like that difficult an area to search in. Wildcat Mountain State Park is rugged and remote and much more difficult terrain to navigate.

Regarding dedicated search and rescue, yes Wisconsin has that and we share resources throughout the state. LE/EMS agencies in the area specialize in different things (water rescue, rope rescue, search dogs, drug dogs, etc) and we also have state resources like the dnr, forestry. They weren't willing to bring in untrained volunteers or private search and rescue (that I'm aware of) but when i drove past in the week afterward there were 30ish vehicles parked at the site, including trucks pulling trailers for off road vehicles. Our county has money and the resources are there, it looked to me like they were utilizing those in the days after he went missing.
Is it just me or has this whole story gone cols? It lost fuel. What the hell has happened since they first reported him missing?

JUL 16, 2023
[...]

They say James might have two survival guide books with him that his father, Bill Yoblonski, had bought him, as well as a firearm.

Despite his interest in the topic, Bill says this is unlike his son, and that he can't wrap his head around why he would run away.

"He is a smart kid," the father told WKOW. "This is uncalled for, to do something like this and not to talk to anybody about it."

Bill says James' disappearance has taken a toll on the whole family, including his siblings, and is begging him to come back home.

"I hope he knows that we love him, and we just want him home and safe," said Bill. "He's not in trouble. I just want him home."

Is it just me or has this whole story gone cols? It lost fuel. What the hell has happened since they first reported him missing?
It is really strange. Local businesses still have the missing flyer posted, and in community groups the question comes up every so often -"have they found the boy that went missing in the bluffs?" But no talk of organizing search parties except the one time at the end of June. I wonder if the sheriff's office really thinks he's in that area anymore, I feel like they don't.

JUL 16, 2023
[...]

They say James might have two survival guide books with him that his father, Bill Yoblonski, had bought him, as well as a firearm.

Despite his interest in the topic, Bill says this is unlike his son, and that he can't wrap his head around why he would run away.

"He is a smart kid," the father told WKOW. "This is uncalled for, to do something like this and not to talk to anybody about it."

Bill says James' disappearance has taken a toll on the whole family, including his siblings, and is begging him to come back home.

"I hope he knows that we love him, and we just want him home and safe," said Bill. "He's not in trouble. I just want him home."
If he has two survival guidebooks and a firearm from his father it's not surprising that he's been out there for this long. Has anyone checked Ice Age or North County trails?

Last edited:
Has there ever been a mention of James' mother in MSM? I don't have a FB account, and haven't seen a mention of her in MSM. I was just wondering if there might be a custody issue.
Not to my knowledge. Custody issue is something that crossed my mind too.
If he has two survival guidebooks and a firearm from his father it's not surprising that he's been out there for this long. Has anyone checked Ice Age or North County trails?
I haven't heard about organized searches occurring in those areas, just in areas west of Devils Lake and the Badger Ammunition plant grounds.

I would not question an adult being able to survive that long, but he's a 13 year old boy. Overall they are impulsive and lack the executive functioning to be able to coordinate a survival effort like this. I will be shocked if it turns out he's been out there this whole time.

Not to my knowledge. Custody issue is something that crossed my mind too.

I haven't heard about organized searches occurring in those areas, just in areas west of Devils Lake and the Badger Ammunition plant grounds.

I would not question an adult being able to survive that long, but he's a 13 year old boy. Overall they are impulsive and lack the executive functioning to be able to coordinate a survival effort like this. I will be shocked if it turns out he's been out there this whole time.
I wonder if he planned to hike the Ice Age Trail? 11 miles of it goes through Devil's Lake. Would be worth reaching out to hikers on that trail IMO

Last edited:
If James leaves belongings behind him, even with books to help him, how this 13 years could all do this running by himself and still be find? Water filtartion for 33 days? Building a third campsite and leaving other belongins? How about clothes, bad weather, food, sickness, injuries? Aways worrying days and nights not be found. Could being of grid so long be too much for a not yet teen all alone? I don't think he is able to stop all the time to read his books and learn about next steps. Is it OK to put so much weight on survivalism? As time goes, it was a good explanation at first but now ... Really, really wondering if all this is still possible after more than 30 days.
Water filtration is the easiest aspect of traveling long distance in places with abundant water like this.
I don't think the weather in the summer would ever be an issue here either.
I am curious how he would get food, but he may be hunting...

jmo I'd be amazed if a lone 13 year old boy is 'off grid' successfully (i.e. healthy and well) in the woods after all this time, especially in the context of him evading dedicated search and rescue efforts.

From this article dated July 6th which was posted upthread: Search for 13-year-old still considered 'missing persons case' nearly 1 month after his disappearance

" [...] Law enforcement's main focus, Schram said, is ruling out other possible explanations for Yoblonski's disappearance, including whether or not the teen might have gotten support from someone else."

No real update on that or anything else since, but I think the investigatory work ruling out other causes of his disappearance could explain the silence.

jmo I'd be amazed if a lone 13 year old boy is 'off grid' successfully (i.e. healthy and well) in the woods after all this time, especially in the context of him evading dedicated search and rescue efforts.

From this article dated July 6th which was posted upthread: Search for 13-year-old still considered 'missing persons case' nearly 1 month after his disappearance

No real update on that or anything else since, but I think the investigatory work ruling out other causes of his disappearance could explain the silence.
He has been missing since may. Is it even possible to stay 100% off-the-grid in that area? Would he even have food and water? That's what bothers me, not very many people are able to stay 100% off-the-grid and do "come out" to purchase the items they need. So, if he was buying food and water, would he have enough money to keep it going for this long?

He has been missing since may. Is it even possible to stay 100% off-the-grid in that area? Would he even have food and water? That's what bothers me, not very many people are able to stay 100% off-the-grid and do "come out" to purchase the items they need. So, if he was buying food and water, would he have enough money to keep it going for this long?
He's been missing since June 12

There is plentiful water and food (if hunting and/or fishing)

There are also lots of natural caves in the area and many abandoned structures on the decommissioned military base that could be used for shelter. Although the weather is temperate enough that one could comfortably sleep outside there in summer

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini_Mind
Back