WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JAN 13, 2019
Jake Patterson’s Attorneys Speak Ahead Of Initial Court Appearance In Jayme Closs Case
Patterson’s attorneys say they met with Patterson Sunday night but did not say if their client has confessed to Jayme’s kidnapping or the killing of her parents. They said they have faith in the judicial system and expect to move forward with a fair trial.

Though Wisconsin allows a video appearance in court, Patterson’s attorneys say they will request Patterson appear in person given the severity of the case. Patterson is currently in a single cell at the Barron County jail.

We sat down with a local criminal defense attorney who walked us through what to watch for during Monday’s appearance.

“In Wisconsin, when you’re charged with first-degree murder it’s a life sentence and he’s going to have two charges plus the kidnapping charges,” Minneapolis Attorney Joe Tamburino said. “So tomorrow will be the initial appearance and the prosecutor could request he be held without bail for a short period of time – usually a couple of months – or request a large bail. It will be so high he’s not going to get out.”

Tamburino expects Monday’s initial appearance to take less than 15 minutes.

Jake Patterson may appear in-person or by video monitor.

Beyond setting bail, it’s a formal criminal complaint Tamburino says could be the most telling.

JAN 13, 2019
Jayme's grandfather:
"Just a miracle that she got away from him," RN said.

RN was there to greet Jayme when she returned home. "I was the first one to give her a hug," he said.

She returned home to a new bedroom in her aunt's house, put together for her in a matter of hours after her family learned she was alive.

"You know what they told me, it's the first time they've seen a smile on my face in three months," RN said.

RN said Jayme couldn't be in better hands. His daughter Jennifer is stepping in to raise Jayme after the death of his daughter and son-in-law, Denise and Jim Closs.

RN says the family didn't want to exhaust Jayme, so the homecoming party didn't last long. And they didn't ask questions about three months the sheriff says she likely spent imprisoned in a Wisconsin cabin 70 miles away.

But RN is so happy that Jayme, who's known to be shy, found the strength to escape.

"I'm really proud of her for that. Very proud of her. She just went the right direction at the right time. I'll forever be thankful of the lady and her dog. And the people she took her to," RN said.

He never gave up his mission to "Bring Jayme home."

JAN 13, 2019
Jayme Closs' school is ready for her when she is
“What we don’t want to do is intrude on her progress,” Tremblay said. “I can’t imagine what she has been through and we are going to be responsive to whatever she needs.”

Tremblay says it will take time for Closs to resume a regular routine, but if she does come back to Riverview, she would have a flexible schedule with plenty of breaks.

Tremblay says the challenge will be to prepare students to welcome Closs with open arms without prying too much.

“I would think normalcy would be a really good thing,” she said. “I bet she misses her friends. She’s a teenaged gal who has some good friends around her and she hasn’t had them around for 88 days.”

Banners and ornaments made by Closs’ classmates have been packed up and delivered to her. It’s just one way to let Closs know how much she was missed and how grateful they are she is finally home.

The district will work with the Department of Justice School Safety Team on ways to make the transition smooth for the teen and they will stay in touch with the Closs family to make sure they do what is right for her.

JAN 13, 2019
Neighbors 'stunned' to learn Jayme Closs allegedly held captive just yards from their homes
BM lives just down the street, only a couple hundred yards away from the home investigators say suspect JP held Closs hostage for nearly three months, and he told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS he and his wife are still processing the whole ordeal.

BM said most people in the area never bother locking their doors and they do notice when something seems out of place like Thursday night.

"There was a strange car parked outside our house for a long time and that was suspicious," BM said. "So, I called 911 and they told me they were investigating something here and that the girl had been found here and I was just stunned."

BM's wife, C, said Closs could have easily ended up on any of the neighbors' doorsteps because there is only one way in and out of their small neighborhood.

"Depending on which direction she decided to go from that house is the key," CM said. "I mean [she] easily [could] have come our direction and ended up here, too, and we are just thankful she ran into someone who could get her help right away."

Suspect in Jayme Closs kidnapping, her parents’ deaths due in court

Jake Thomas Patterson, 21, is set to make his initial appearance Monday afternoon in Barron County Circuit Court. Prosecutors are set to formally charge him with two counts of intentional homicide and one count of kidnapping before court begins.

upload_2019-1-14_11-32-1.jpeg

[...]

Charging documents in Wisconsin typically contain at least a partial narrative of what happened at a crime scene, as prosecutors try to prove there's probable cause to support the allegations.

Details of Jayme's three-month captivity have not been released, and Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald has not said whether Jayme was sexually assaulted. But Patterson's attorneys, public defenders Charles Glynn and Richard Jones, have been lauded for taking high-profile cases with a special emphasis on sexually violent people, according to a state public defender office news release from February 2018.

[...]

Jake Patterson’s Attorneys Speak Ahead Of Initial Court Appearance In Jayme Closs Case

“Patterson’s attorneys say they met with Patterson Sunday night but did not say if their client has confessed to Jayme’s kidnapping or the killing of her parents. They said they have faith in the judicial system and expect to move forward with a fair trial.

Though Wisconsin allows a video appearance in court, Patterson’s attorneys say they will request Patterson appear in person given the severity of the case. Patterson is currently in a single cell at the Barron County jail.”

—-

Suspect in Wisconsin killings, Jayme Closs kidnapping due in court

“A young man suspected of killing a Wisconsin couple, kidnapping their teenage daughter and holding the girl against her will for three months is expected to make his first court appearance Monday, and charging documents could shed light on why he targeted the girl.“

Snip

“Patterson's defense attorneys, Charles Glynn and Richard Jones, said they believe Patterson can get a fair trial, but they're not sure where. The public defenders didn't reveal many specifics about what they expect from Monday's court hearing, but they acknowledged the case was "a tragic situation from every perspective."

"It's been an emotional time for this community and a difficult time for this community. We don't take that lightly. But we have a job to do in protecting our client," Jones said.“

Suspect in Wisconsin killings, Jayme Closs kidnapping due in court

Missing Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs' family celebrates her return
Jan. 14, 2019, 5:45 AM MST

“Police have arrested and charged Jake Patterson, 21, with kidnapping and murder. He is expected to be formally charged in court on Monday. His defense attorneys said Sunday that they are requesting that he appear in court in person rather than over video link.

““We have a job to do, in terms of representing our client and protecting his rights and his interests, but we also understand the pain and the emotion that has been generated within this community,” said defense attorney Richard Jones at a news conference.”

JAN 14, 2019
Video: Jayme Closs found: Family of Wisconsin teen express pride and relief with Closs' return home - CBS News
Closs' family members never gave up hope that she would be found, but like the rest of the country, they are still in shock. Only on "CBS This Morning," Closs' cousin LS and two of her aunts, SA and LC, told "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King how they are helping the 13-year-old heal by giving her all the love she needs. They also told us about what it's like to finally have her home.

"I have to pinch myself," Allard said. "I woke up this morning and finally, I didn't have that pit in the bottom of my stomach any more."

"I still feel a little in shock. I just want to go over there, every day to my mom's house and see Jayme. It's amazing to see her home," Smith said. Smith's mother is Closs' legal guardian now.

"She can't quit smiling," Lynn said.

"No, and my mom, her heart has been just broken since Jayme was gone," Smith said. "And now I told her, I said, 'I get my mom back. You are happy again. You are -- It's just the best thing I've ever seen.'"

"Tell us how you each heard the news that she was okay," King said.

"My dad had to call my neighbor. And she comes screamin' in my door. I'll never, ever forget her screaming, 'Sue! Sue! They found Jayme!'" Allard said, tearing up.

JAN 14, 2019
Answers in Jayme Closs case could come with court appearance, criminal complaint today - CNN
What were Jayme Closs's three months of captivity like? Why did the suspect target her and her family? And how did she manage to escape?

The answers to some of those questions could come later Monday, when her alleged kidnapper appears in court and when authorities may release the criminal complaint against him.

Amid those unanswered questions, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald told CNN Monday morning he knew one thing for sure.

"I did meet with Jayme last night, and that shy 13-year-old girl that we've been describing for 88 days has got a big smile on her face," he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932
Back