WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JAN 12, 2019
Jayme Closs Smiles with Uncle in New Photo After Being Reunited with Family Following Escape
PEOPLE has obtained a photo of the 13-year-old girl spending time with her uncle SN on Friday. In the image, Jayme can be seen smiling with SN, who is the brother of Jayme’s late mother.

The photo was taken on the same day as her first picture since she was found. In that image, Jayme can be seen smiling with her aunt JS and her dog Molly.

JS, who is Jayme’s mother Denise’s sister, will act as the teen’s legal guardian.

Jayme Closs and uncle SN

JH, who has become close friends with Jayme’s aunts, told PEOPLE on Friday that Jayme is “glad” to be reunited with her dog Molly.

“She’s glad to have her dog back and get settled. She’s very close to her two aunts, J and S. J babysat for her all the time in her daycare that she ran. And they had daily contact. Her aunts were almost second moms,” she added.

(Full names changed to initials)

JAN 12, 2019
Jake Thomas Patterson: Jayme Closs suspect was quiet student who hoped to join Marines
JTP remains a mystery.

At Northwood School District in Minong, where he graduated from the K-12 school in 2015, Patterson was quiet and withdrawn, yet smart enough to be on a quiz team and able to crack a quick joke.

In the school's yearbook, he said after graduation he planned to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps. and wrote, "I'm finally done with school."

As far as anyone knows, JTP never followed through on joining the military, was employed for just a day at a turkey plant, and drifted in the background in this rural swath of Wisconsin. He did not have a criminal record.

Patterson graduated from high school in a class of 34 students. A description of his high school years was provided by former students who didn't want to be named.

Classmates described him as quiet and seemingly indifferent.

Another former student, who was a year behind Patterson, said, "He seemed like he was just one of those guys in school that wanted to fit in, but couldn't because he lacked social skills. (He) never really made an impact in any way."

Patterson wrestled in elementary school, a classmate said, but wasn't interested in going to sporting events in high school, a noticeable trait in a small town where life revolves around school activities.

636828893001083288-PATTERSON-FRESHMAN.jpg

Jake Thomas Patterson, the suspect in the kidnapping of Jayme Closs and murder of her parents, as seen in his freshman yearbook. (Photo: Bill Glauber / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

Much more at the link

JAN 12, 2019
Fundraiser for Jayme Closs, 13-year-old who was found alive after missing for weeks, exceeds $50k goal in less than 24 hours
A Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme Closs has ended after reaching a goal of $50,000 in less than 24 hours, according to WITI.

Multiple posts on a Facebook page called Healing for Jayme Closs detailed the fundraising efforts for 13-year-old Jayme, who was found Thursday after being missing for 88 days.

On Saturday, the page announced a Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme has closed because the page “greatly surpassed” their goal. The fundraiser was initially for $10k, but the fundraiser was quickly raised to $50k after donations came pouring in.

JAN 12, 2019
‘There Is No Going Back’: Elizabeth Smart Offers Advice To Jayme Closs
Smart called Closs brave, strong, and a powerful survivor — but also says there is a long road ahead.

Elizabeth Smart (credit: CBS)

“The whole nation loves her and is so proud of her and admires her so much for surviving everything that she’s done,” Smart said. “But I’d also tell her that there is no going back to who she was before she was kidnapped, before this happened. And to chase after that is, it’s, I mean, she’ll never go back to that.”

Article Updated JAN 12, 2019
Jayme Closs kidnap suspect allegedly cut his hair to avoid leaving DNA evidence - CNN
In anticipation of the crime, the suspect cut his hair so he wouldn't leave behind physical evidence in Closs' home, Barron County Sheriff Christopher Fitzgerald said.

"I can tell you that the subject planned his actions and took many proactive steps to hide his identity from law enforcement and the general public," he said.

It appears Patterson went to the Closs home with the intention of taking Jayme, Fitzgerald said. But while she was his intended target, "nothing in this case shows the suspect knew anyone at the Closs home or at any time had contact with anyone in the Closs family," Fitzgerald said.

Nearly three years ago, Patterson worked for one day at the same meat products facility where Jayme's parents also worked -- the Jennie-O Turkey Store plant in Barron -- the company's president said. Patterson quit, saying he was moving from the area, according to the company.

Authorities have said they don't believe Patterson crossed paths with Jayme's parents there. Investigators are trying to determine whether he worked at another job in the area.

JAN 12, 2019
The Latest: Lawyers: Treat client fairly in Jayme Closs case
An aunt says a Wisconsin teenager who was found alive this week almost three months after vanishing from her home had "a pretty good night sleep" on her first night back with family.

Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs was found Thursday afternoon. A 21-year-old man is suspected of killing her parents in October at their home in Barron, Wisconsin, then kidnapping the teen.

One aunt, JS, posted on Facebook Saturday that it was great to know Jayme was next to her all night and that it was a "great feeling to have her home." JS wrote that the family faces a long road to recover from the ordeal.

Another aunt, SNA, posted that Jayme got "the most awaited hug ever" when she returned home.

JAN 12, 2019
Wisconsin kidnapping, killing suspect lived under the radar
JTP grew up in Gordon, a sprawling township of 645 people tucked into the snowy evergreen forests about 35 miles (55 kilometers) south of Lake Superior. It's wild country; roadside signs admonish motorists to share the pavement with ATVs.

The few neighbors who know Patterson's family say he grew up in a cabin in a remote development that's a mix of seasonal and year-round homes about 10 miles (16 kilometers) outside Gordon proper. Patterson's high school teachers barely remember the now 21-year-old man who graduated only three years ago, and say they didn't realize he still lived in the area.

The suspect has no apparent online presence. It appears he has been living in the family cabin; property records indicate his father still owned the place in October. But he has kept a low profile. KK told The Star Tribune that she didn't even realize he was her neighbor.

Despite EP's criminal record, few across the township seem to have heard of his family. JK, the township's lone constable, said he knows almost everyone in the area but has never encountered the Pattersons.

One of the businesses closest to the development is J&K's Halfway House Bar and Grille. Owner KB said she's run the place for 22 years and had never heard of the family before JP was arrested.

"I have no clue who they are," she said.

(names changed to initials by me)

JAN 12, 2019
Neighbor who came to Jayme Closs' aid: 'We were armed and ready' for suspect to come looking
“When our neighbor J came in with Jayme, she said: ‘Get a gun. We don’t know if he’s after us,’” K said. “So we were armed and ready in case this person showed up.”

wisconsin_road.png

This is the road that Jayme Closs was found on. (Cristina Corbin/Fox News)

K said that three officers initially arrived at her home. They took Closs to safety and told KK and her kids to get away from any windows in case the suspected abductor came to their home.

“My kids and I – we went downstairs,” she said. “My husband was asked to stand guard at one of the doors on the upper floor. [Patterson] was then arrested not that far away from our house.”

Patterson’s father owned the secluded home where he is accused of keeping Closs captive. Kasinskas said, “It’s just a small little house with a lot of vehicles in the yard.”

(names changed to initials by me)

JAN 12, 2019
Katie Beers, Who Was Held Captive Aged 9, Shares Advice for Jayme Closs
Katie Beers was kidnapped in 1992 when she was 9. She was discovered in an underground bunker, where a family friend had held her hostage for 17 days in Bay Shore, New York.

Beers "had tears of joy" when she heard about Jayme, she told Inside Edition.

"I am hoping and praying that the tests she is going through in the hospital, that they are quick and easy for her," she said.

Beers also shared her advice for the teen.

"Surround herself with people that love her – family, aunts, uncles, cousins – whoever it might be and not to talk about what she went through before she was ready," she said.

Jayme now joins the heart-wrenching list of other girls and young women who survived kidnapping ordeals.

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight were chained up and tortured in a Cleveland home between 2002 and 2013. Knight was held captive for 11 years.

In 1991, 11-year-old Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped while walking home from her California school. She was freed in 2009 and bore two daughters for her kidnappers.

In 2016, police in South Carolina freed a woman abducted by serial killer Todd Kohlhepp. He had kept Kala Brown chained up in a storage container for two months.

JAN 11, 2019
Sheriff: Closs ‘targeted’ by 21-year-old suspect with no...
Fitzgerald said a reunification plan was in place before she was discovered, allowing her to begin speaking with investigators after undergoing medical and mental health screenings.

Fitzgerald disclosed that a shotgun also had been used to blow up the locks on the Closs’ family home on Oct. 15.

A log of law enforcement activities in Douglas County shows that the 911 call first came in at 4:17 p.m. after Jayme approached JN. She told Nutter that she was Jayme Closs, that “Jake Patterson had killed her parents” and that she “wanted to go home,” according to the record.

Jayme told Nutter that Patterson was gone in his red car and was expected to be back around midnight, though she wasn’t certain when he would return. The call log states that Jayme told the woman Patterson didn’t work, used to be in the military and “turns the radio up and sometimes has people come over while he is gone.”

The first Douglas County deputy arrived on scene to locate Jayme at 4:43 p.m. Exactly 10 minutes later, according to the call log, deputies stopped Patterson’s car. He was detained at 4:54 p.m.

Closs was taken to Essentia Health-St. Mary’s hospital in Superior, according to the call log.

JAN 11, 2019
Rescuers, law enforcement recount finding Closs alive
Nutter’s thoughts were swirling, but she stayed in the moment. She’d known the Closs parents had been murdered, and Closs was likely kidnapped and in danger. She knew somebody with bad intentions could be pursuing Closs and, in one of her few inquiries to Closs, Nutter found out about Patterson’s red car.

Nutter was on the lookout for the vehicle while the three of them made their way to safety. Nutter said she was prepared to dive for cover if need be. It took eight minutes, Nutter said, to get to the K's residence not far away. Nutter knew they would be protected there.

PK said he was cleaning fish in the kitchen when his dogs “started going crazy.”

His wife, K, and children, ages 7 and 9, were getting home.

“And then the neighbor lady was pounding on our door in the kitchen,” PK said. “She opened the door, her dog ran in, and then she helped this girl into the kitchen. She said: ‘It’s Jayme Closs. Call 911.’

“My jaw hit the floor.”

The 13-year-old Wisconsin girl from Barron had been missing since Oct. 15.

KK immediately called 911.

“Jayme was able to give us the person’s name and the color of the car that he drove (red), so when we called the police they could know who they were looking for,” PK said. “She was probably in shock. She was pretty quiet. She didn’t say a lot.”

image1 (2).jpg

“So, they got in the house, and I loaded a gun and got ready and was standing at the door waiting until the police showed up, because she (Jayme) said she didn’t know when he was coming back,” K's said. “When she was sitting on my couch, I couldn’t believe it. I just said to her: ‘I am so happy to see you,’ because I thought she was dead.”

Closs declined any food or drink while they waited for police to arrive.

“She looked frozen, so I gave her a blanket,” K's said. “She looked thin. She looked like she hadn’t been able to bathe or take care of herself. She just looked kind of run down and dirty. She looked probably 15 pounds lighter than her photos.

“She was very quiet. She was probably still in shock or in relief. Her head had to be going even more than ours was.”

JAN 12, 2019
For Jayme Closs, the healing process is just beginning
It's likely to be a long, difficult process, but one where healing is possible, according to mental health professionals and other survivors of childhood trauma.

"Today is not the end of her story. It's the middle of this journey," said Alison Feigh, director of the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center. "Now begins the rebuilding and healing process."

The weeks and months to come will bring fresh challenges as Jayme is reunited with her loved ones and grieves the loss of her parents, who were gunned down in their home Oct. 15. Authorities say 21-year-old Jake T. Patterson targeted the family in order to kidnap Jayme.

She must now grapple with how to cope with her experience. How to deal with prying questions. How to be a kid again.

"There's a crushing grief and anxiety in realizing that she's not returning to the life she knew," said Daphne Young, chief communications officer at Childhelp, a national nonprofit that aids young abuse victims.

Survivor's guilt may bubble up, and she could struggle with post-traumatic stress, Young said.

Jayme's hometown of Barron, Wis., wants to welcome her back with fanfare, but experts in childhood trauma say that the attention can be overwhelming.

"Some find the spotlight terrifying. They don't want it to define their self-worth," Young said. "She doesn't need to be a hero 24 hours a day. What she needs is peace and support."

A structured daily routine will be key to developing a sense of normalcy, professionals said.

JAN 12, 2019
Barron County Sheriff Shares Highs, Lows Of Jayme Closs Search Efforts
Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald spoke with Christiane Cordero on Saturday to share the highs and lows of the search efforts and what he learned along the way.

Authorities spent the day gathering evidence from the Gordon, Wisconsin, home where they say she was held captive, trying to learn more about the person who will be charged with kidnapping her.

“We’ll be looking for receipts and places he went the last 88 days, did he take her anywhere,” Fitzgerald said.

Right now, police have no reason to believe the Closs family knew the arrested suspect, JP, but they do believe Jayme was specifically targeted.

“And obviously the million dollar question is ‘why?’ and we need to find that out either by talking with Jayme or the suspect, but when we find that out we might be able to fill in some of the gaps of the investigation,” Fitzgerald said.

It will take time, as will the healing and the hope of the community he serves.

“Yeah, it’ll be stronger. Now we get to survive and move forward on the will of a 13-year-old girl. We can do anything now,” Fitzgerald said.

To help that process, officials have set up a 211 hotline for people struggling. On Friday, the school superintendent said she plans to throw some kind of a celebration for Jayme, when the time is right.

JAN 12, 2019
Chance encounter on a back road cracked the Jayme Closs case
The 911 dispatcher was skeptical.

“I think 911 thought I was lying, because there was that whole false story that happened just hours prior,” KK said. “I kept saying, ‘This is for real, she’s sitting in my room. She knows details, this is for real!’ ”

Jayme told the K's that her captor’s name was JP.

She said Patterson had kept her in his cabin, hiding her when people stopped by. He left her alone that day, she said, telling her he’d be back at midnight.

Sometime after, she made her break.

‘My God. I know him.’

The Patterson name rang a bell with KK, a science teacher at Northwood School in the next county.

My God, she thought. “I know him,” she exclaimed. “I’ve had that student.”

Acting on the information Jayme provided, police found Patterson within five minutes. He was driving his car along area roads.

Police believe he was looking for Jayme.

Saturday afternoon, the day after seeing the 13-year-old granddaughter he feared might be gone forever, “Grandpa Red” pulled a green ribbon off the mailbox in front of his house in Cornell, not far from Barron.

Earlier, he had taken the “Bring” off a sign that used to read: “Bring Jayme Home.”

After spending three months worrying about her — bringing back an ulcer, he said — RN could rest easy. Finally, he knew his granddaughter was safe.

JAN 12, 2019
Gordon Residents Say Jayme Closs Kidnapping Suspect Kept To Himself
The barricades continue to block access to the road Jayme ran down to escape from the man who held her captive for 88 days. It’s a remote area where homes are spread far apart and you can drive for miles without seeing another person.

From the air, you can see how remote Gordon, Wisconsin, is. The home where 21-year-old Jake Patterson is believed to have held Jayme Closs is surrounded by woods.

About five buildings make up the core of what could be considered downtown Gordon. People here did not want to talk on camera but did say they never saw Patterson in town.

Others who did see him occasionally say he kept to himself – they called him a hermit.

Tall trees and lakes make up a big part of the area, and cell service is spotty.

Folks say they go days, weeks and sometimes months without seeing their neighbors.

JAN 12, 2019
Investigation at home of kidnapping suspect continues
The search of the home where investigators suspect Jayme Closs was held captive is taking longer than authorities first suggested.

Barricades remained in place at the entrance to South Eau Claire Acres Circle late Saturday afternoon. The area of houses and cabins is where Closs ran up to a woman who was walking her dog on Thursday. The man suspected of kidnapping the 13-year-old girl and killing her parents in October, JP, lived just steps away from where Closs reappeared.

While authorities kept news cameras on the ground from getting anywhere close to the Patterson home, Wilson described how the layout of the house might have made it possible for Jayme to have been held there without others noticing.

"The way that the house is kind of angled, from the road there's no way you can even see," said Wilson. "There's no windows facing that side of the road. The windows are facing more the opposite side. So, you can't tell if there are lights on."

On Friday, the Barron County Sheriff said investigators were going "room by room" in Patterson's house, but gave little indication about when that search would be complete.

JAN 12, 2019
Interview with Jayme Closs’ aunt, Lynn Closs
“It was almost three months ago now. We got the worst call ever. Two of our family members were killed and Jayme was gone. And we have done nothing but pray and search and look and cry and pray. And look some more,” Jayme’s aunt, LC, said.

Then while at a basketball game came the news that she had been found.

“We left the game and came home and we just started to have supper. Jeff got a phone call. He turned his back to me and I could tell something was going on. And he’s like, we got to go to mom’s, there’s news, what? We got her. They found her. I don’t even remember from then getting over to Jeff’s mom’s house. Even now talking about it, my whole body is covered with goosebumps,” Jayme’s aunt said.

A courageous effort.

“I mean the pride I have in this child. That she took the power back from this person. The courage that it took. The strength that it took, that she took the power away from this human being and took her freedom. And is home safe again. I’m so proud of her,” Jayme’s aunt said.

Readjusting to tough circumstances.

“It’s very difficult. She comes back to a world that’s completely different from what she left. Her parents are gone,” Jayme’s aunt said.

And a family comes together.

“I don’t know, we start over. Baby steps. We will do anything and everything to get this kid what she needs. Where she needs to be. My husband was her dad’s brother and best friend. He will be there for Jayme to make sure that her dad is always part of her life. Her aunt’s will always make sure her mom is a part of her life. That’s all we can do right now,” Jayme’s aunt said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GowBuj
Back