Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an experience with Trials I wanted to share. It was Victoria Stafford's not far from me. Everyday was broken down in the Press as to what would be presented. One could avoid the upsetting days. Of course I was there in support but chose forensic days. There were things I chose not to look at on the monitor but I really was impressed as to how it was handled. Murder and rape of an 8 yr. old. They did manage to stay on task for the most part. Of course your going to have the looky loos and I have no doubt this Trial will. If it gets to Trial.

Fundraiser for Jayme Closs, 13-year-old who was found alive after missing for weeks, exceeds $50k goal in less than 24 hours
A Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme Closs has ended after reaching a goal of $50,000 in less than 24 hours, according to WITI.

Multiple posts on a Facebook page called Healing for Jayme Closs detailed the fundraising efforts for 13-year-old Jayme, who was found Thursday after being missing for 88 days.

On Saturday, the page announced a Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme has closed because the page “greatly surpassed” their goal. The fundraiser was initially for $10k, but the fundraiser was quickly raised to $50k after donations came pouring in.

It says the brother moved to CO 'a few years ago', so I'm assuming the two boys were left alone in the home even before that.. so just wondering how long the accused has been left to his own devices without any real adult supervision or anything. It seems that leaving him with his slightly older brother may have been above the brother's paygrade, and then he moved out as well... how many years ago?

Talking about the accused's brother here:

"He moved to Leadville, Colorado a few years ago, where he worked at a Subway sandwich shop."
Authorities investigating criminal history of Closs suspect's brother

I don't know if that has been nailed down.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/jake-patterson-family-erik-brother-father/

This article says:

"Neighbor Daphne Ronning told USA Today and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that “Patterson’s parents moved to the home about 15 years ago and that Jake and his brother were raised there.”

She told the newspaper that the parents moved to a different home, but Jake Patterson and his brother stayed in their childhood residence.

“We had some problems with them when they were teenagers – we caught them siphoning gas,” Ronning said to the newspaper. “My husband talked with them and there was never anything else.”

So, they moved there as a family in 2003 or 2004, and the parents divorced in 2007 when Jake was 10 and the brother was 13, or so. One or both of the parents must have stayed for a few more years at least. The neighbor says they were teenagers when they were there by themselves, so maybe 5 or 6 years later, they were on their own for a while before the brother went to CO and JTP was alone? Maybe they were on their own when the brother committed the sexual crime?

All in all, my feeling is that these men had very little guidance at a crucial juncture in their lives, and maybe the parenting prior to leaving them on their own wasn't so great either. The crimes are different but the general lack of goals, being unable or unwilling to hold a job, etc. does seem to be shared by both of them.

Last edited:
When they caught JP... was there any weapons in car or on him ? Or just 2 guns at his house ??

Has it been verified he was not in large search party ?? 2,000 plus??

On Saturday, the page announced a Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme has closed because the page “greatly surpassed” their goal. The fundraiser was initially for $10k, but the fundraiser was quickly raised to $50k after donations came pouring in.

When I looked it did say that they would still accept donations even though the goal had been met.

BBM

If anyone truly cares for this girl or what she's been through, my small slice of perspective of how these things can go.

We're very different people & I didn't go through anything as horrific as Jayme has, but was held in state facilities for my own good the first month & a half following removal from a very bad situation at 12. Had no idea what was coming: intense 'intake' process, hospital stays, psych evals, interviews with detectives & caseworkers, sudden unexplained moves and loss of friends. Although household life was 1,000% more stable, I couldn't process the constant sudden out of the blue episodes of dealing with 'authority' figures in their professional lives, my limbic system only knew to second guess everything after all that time. So it felt like straight from the frying pan into the fire, as far as what was expected of me. Initially being 'left out' of the decision process and dumping the events without simple reminder like a public calendar triggered a lot of anxiety, etc.

Within 3-6 months you can well imagine the hiding, hoarding, noncommunicative/lying and standoffishness toward others who expected perfectly normal healthy behaviour, was wearing thin.
It was the expectations that I 'fit in', 'leave it behind', reflect something I'd never lived before, that 'proved' to me I was somehow right to plan ahead in case things didn't work out. It was the failures of those tasked with my care, to recognize my abusers (separate), came with whole communities who enabled stalking and harassment. To this day it's struck me how very little anybody seems to grasp how common these things are, and how undersupported victims of public backlash become.

Suppose that Jayme won't be going through the 'limbo' phase as she's been reunited with family, although it's important to consider she's missed her her parents funeral which doesn't help her grieving process. Regardless the realities she experienced there, it's just different when a kid can attend such an event to process what has happened with their community.

These are all great resources, given that a social worker is helping the family understand what is accessible at this stage for Jayme, and for how long these may be available. The case now opened, regarding her kidnapping and abuse is both how they will have coverage and yet how they will not get it in time.

I was only able to benefit from crime victims in Wa. state years after a lengthy trial. I may be wrong about this, but what was offered had a limit of 48 months. 'Luckily' I had gone through several separate abuse events which ensured I'd be eligible for longer than the initial time (though not really as long as was needed).

There is a clock counting down on both the 'honeymoon' phase of reunification, and the assistance so I'd think it wise to consider working in more tangible ways to prevent the inevitable drop off.

I appreciate your willingness to share, it certainly does provide perspective. It sounds like you’d be a great advocate for others who are living through similar circumstances.

Sleuthing anyone other than an officially named perp is NOT allowed.

Sleuthing, discussing, or linking to family social media or the social media of any individual who is not officially named a POI/suspect according to LE is NOT allowed.

Please try to use initials for everyone other than the victim or the perp, rather than full names.

C’mon folks ... I think we’re all proud of Jayme. Discuss the case rather than bickering over the use of a single word to describe one’s feelings.

Websleuths does not allow discussion or links to fundraising efforts, such as .

Scroll and roll, or use the Ignore feature ... or Report a problem post asap so we can review it and deal with it accordingly before we have umpteen posts that have responded to it and have to be removed.

Does anyone here have first-person experience in helping/knowing how a victim like this rebuilds? I found myself wondering about her return to school. Would she return? Would she be in the same grade? Surely they wouldn’t fail her??

So he had people over, friends. In another article it said no one in town really knew him or that he was living there. He must have known some people because someone was coming to the house, unless it was his family.

I think both could be true.

The people coming to his house possibly weren't really people from town or also weren't those people in town really knew (people who lived even more on the outskirts, really kept to themselves, etc.)

Does anyone here have first-person experience in helping/knowing how a victim like this rebuilds? I found myself wondering about her return to school. Would she return? Would she be in the same grade? Surely they wouldn’t fail her??
She probably has the option to go on either homebound instruction or home schooling. If homebound is provided (which in NJ is legally required for less serious circumstance than this case) they could also provide tutoring to catch her up to the level she would be on now had this not happened. I would think the school district would provide options to Jayme.

ETA Returning to school could be difficult for her, not only due to the emotional side of it, but also due to the lag of instruction - need to fill in gaps and catch her up so to speak.

So he had people over, friends. In another article it said no one in town really knew him or that he was living there. He must have known some people because someone was coming to the house, unless it was his family.

People could be coming by if he were selling something (illegal or stuff from the house) which could also provide him money for food, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean he had a social life.

I think this fund for safe Jayme is a good thing. She is going to need lots of help and counseling just as Elizabeth Smart got from her family. Money helps lighten the load. Her family will now have the resources to get her whatever she needs.
I'm curious if she has any health insurance? I'm sure her parents had her on their company policy but what now?

Fundraiser for Jayme Closs, 13-year-old who was found alive after missing for weeks, exceeds $50k goal in less than 24 hours
A Facebook fundraiser created for Jayme Closs has ended after reaching a goal of $50,000 in less than 24 hours, according to WITI.

Multiple posts on a Facebook page called Healing for Jayme Closs detailed the fundraising efforts for 13-year-old Jayme, who was found Thursday after being missing for 88 days.

That’s great news... don’t know if parents had life insurance... but if there 27 yr ees I would think they do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n_g0ddess