Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on the state. Most states do not require the disclosure of a death, even murder.

It wouldn’t bother me in the least, but I imagine that’s not the case for most people.

A murder or suicide would bother many people. I guess I'm lucky to have bought homes in a state that requires disclosure. In the case of the Closs home, with all of the national publicity / notoriety it has received, disclosure is probably a moot point. Ethically, I think tragic deaths should be disclosed. MOO.

Whether the house is demolished should be up to Jayme's family. We don't know how they feel about it. It's possible that it doesn't represent something bad to them, but something that reminds them of happy times. Until they make some kind of disclosure, I don't have an opinion about it.

On another post in the last thread, someone stated that this was the first time they'd seen a case that hadn't released all the details right away. In my experience, few rarely do. I was thinking about the McStay family, though. Although we have some general information about what happened, the majority of the details have been kept quiet. That case is STILL waiting to go to trial and it's been, what, 5 years since Merritt was arrested? If this goes to trial at all, and I don't think it will, we could be looking at a long time.

On another post in the last thread, someone stated that this was the first time they'd seen a case that hadn't released all the details right away. In my experience, few rarely do. I was thinking about the McStay family, though. Although we have some general information about what happened, the majority of the details have been kept quiet. That case is STILL waiting to go to trial and it's been, what, 5 years since Merritt was arrested? If this goes to trial at all, and I don't think it will, we could be looking at a long time.

Just an FYI, the McStay trial is starting it's 4th? week. It's expected to take several months.
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3

Just an FYI, the McStay trial is starting it's 4th? week. It's expected to take several months.
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3

Thanks. I follow the brother's FB group, but I had to take a break from it. Merritt kept getting delay after delay and I needed to step away. Good that it's finally happening. Still, it has taken several years to get to this point. Jayme's may take as long, or they may never have a trial at all.

A murder or suicide would bother many people. I guess I'm lucky to have bought homes in a state that requires disclosure. In the case of the Closs home, with all of the national publicity / notoriety it has received, disclosure is probably a moot point. Ethically, I think tragic deaths should be disclosed. MOO.

In many states its mandatory disclosure to inform any possible home buyer if anyone has been murdered or committed suicide in the home.

However I have seen homes purchased even with having that knowledge.

Some will not care if they know a professional bio hazmat team has thoroughly cleaned the home before purchase.

It does affect some potential buyers but not all.

If it does bother some the home purchase price is usually only reduced around 3 percent of its value on average but if they find a possible purchaser where that isn't something that would stop them they can get full asking price and even more.

It's like anything else people are different with some not wanting to live there and other individuals who are not bothered by what may have happened in the home in the past. I'm definitely not one who wouldnt care but many are not like me. Lol

Iirc Laci Peterson's home sold at full asking price even though it was believed Scott Peterson had murdered Laci and Connor inside of her home.

Imo

Whether the house is demolished should be up to Jayme's family. We don't know how they feel about it. It's possible that it doesn't represent something bad to them, but something that reminds them of happy times. Until they make some kind of disclosure, I don't have an opinion about it.

They may not have a choice in the matter one way or the other if the home has a bank mortgage. Unless either or both parents took out a mortgage policy stating the mortgage would be paid in full if either or both died.

Also some homeowners insurance policies provides payout coverage if either mortgage holder is hurt or worse inside of their own home.

Iirc Laci Peterson's family was able to collect the insurance amount listed in the homeowners policy since she was murdered inside of her own home. It didnt matter to the company she was murdered by the co-owner of the home.

I think the family will do what is cost effective concerning the home.

Destroying the home would erase any opportunity to sell it where the proceeds would benefit Jayme's future financial security.

The family may not have the funds to pay the mortgage off. I imagine it was a typical 30 year mortgage.

If they decide to let it go into foreclosure then it will be left up to the bank as to what happens to the home and property.

However if its Jayme's desire to keep her family home and both parents had insurance policies at JO and Jayme listed as the beneficiary on both she can inform the administrator over the estate she wants to keep her family home or doesn't want to keep it.

It's really impossible to know how Jayme feels about this. She most assuredly has many happy memories in this home.

She wouldnt have to ever live there herself but have it rented out with the proceeds going into the estate or if a trust is set up for her.

I imagine they may just let it go into foreclosure letting the bank decide what is done with it. Jmo

I havent been able to read this thread closely lately because of the Merritt trial. If it's already known as to the disposition of the home then I apologize. My post is assuming it hasn't been determined yet.

Imo

I hope with life insurance that financial considerations are not necessary along with any fundraisers.

I have read on other sites where people seem to be jealous of the money she is getting. I have some words to say about that but they are not allowed.

With the house gone,there will not be so much of a visible reminder that people can point out.

All the while taxes and insurance has to be paid. Usually insurance on an empty house is very expensive.

I would not want to spend money on that aspect of it either. The taxes and insurance

It is up to her and to them but I personally think not rushing is a good idea. She and the entire family I would imagine will go through a range of emotions and periods over years (especially her). Hopefully her parents had life insurance and most at Jennie-O have 401s and they were there many years and as parents I would hope and think they contributed. They offer a basic life insurance, or used to, of probably $10,000 each but one can add more at their own cost which I think is pretty common at most places of employment that are similar.

While that and the fundraising may sound like a lot of money, who knows what she will face in her life dealing with this. It certainly is not probably even a million with all assets. The home is another asset, I believe in the early days someone found a mortgage was taken on it not too many years ago but I do not think it was for the full value of the home so there is likely equity.

All that said, she may very well never want to see it again and not even want to drive by it. I do not think there is a rush though to decide.

While taxes and insurance do cost, it could be rented--not that it would maybe rent easily. I think a sale right now would bring a loss because who would feel safe in that location?

Not to bring up the Smrekars but I would imagine even they have thought twice about their location since this all occurred.

All just guesses but I think her wellbeing and his prosecution will be the first of many things they will need to deal with but will come first.

It is unlikely but also would there be an interest in it staying up until trial? It is the scene.

Just some random thoughts and speculation.

Reference what or what not to do with the Closs home. Although JC's desire will be considered, being a minor she will not have the final decision. Her Guardian has a fiduciary duty to do what is financially in JC's best interests. I believe that the decision will be a family agreement.

She will have the opportunity to face him in court.

Yeah. It's up to the family. They can likely use the money. It's kind of different than the scene of a mass school shooting I think. Different than the ramschavkle Castro house that held such trauma for so many years. Decades.

But who knows what the market is like there.
They may not have a choice in the matter one way or the other if the home has a bank mortgage. Unless either or both parents took out a mortgage policy stating the mortgage would be paid in full if either or both died.

Also some homeowners insurance policies provides payout coverage if either mortgage holder is hurt or worse inside of their own home.

Iirc Laci Peterson's family was able to collect the insurance amount listed in the homeowners policy since she was murdered inside of her own home. It didnt matter to the company she was murdered by the co-owner of the home.

I think the family will do what is cost effective concerning the home.

Destroying the home would erase any opportunity to sell it where the proceeds would benefit Jayme's future financial security.

The family may not have the funds to pay the mortgage off. I imagine it was a typical 30 year mortgage.

If they decide to let it go into foreclosure then it will be left up to the bank as to what happens to the home and property.

However if its Jayme's desire to keep her family home and both parents had insurance policies at JO and Jayme listed as the beneficiary on both she can inform the administrator over the estate she wants to keep her family home or doesn't want to keep it.

It's really impossible to know how Jayme feels about this. She most assuredly has many happy memories in this home.

She wouldnt have to ever live there herself but have it rented out with the proceeds going into the estate or if a trust is set up for her.

I imagine they may just let it go into foreclosure letting the bank decide what is done with it. Jmo

I havent been able to read this thread closely lately because of the Merritt trial. If it's already known as to the disposition of the home then I apologize. My post is assuming it hasn't been determined yet.

Imo

It is just an educated guess but I would think it highly like the parents contributed to the 401K at Jennie-O. That would be Jayme's (although with oversight I am sure by the aunt, etc.). I believe it could be used to pay any mortgage or upkeep in her interest as that is an asset of hers as well (the home). However, it may not be an easy decision, houses need care, they seem to maintain better with occupants than sitting empty (why is that?), it may not rent easy, sell easy and no family member may even want to go there to maintain it.

As all have said you included, it is up to them. I think they likely have time to think about it.

It probably will not happen but if someone like Anderson Dairy or a neighbor who adjoins bought it and razed it and used it for something else, everyone wins.

Yet she may at some point want to go there, it is hard to say. A personal decision, to be sure.

I have read on other sites where people seem to be jealous of the money she is getting. I have some words to say about that but they are not allowed.

Snipped to focus on first sentence.

I suspect JC would gladly forgo the monies to return to Oct prior to the crimes, skipping the following three months, and have a normal childhood with her parents going forward.

For those people on those other sites I'll withhold a string of pejoratives and foul comments. :mad: Agree with your last sentence.

Snipped to focus on first sentence.

I suspect JC would gladly forgo the monies to return to Oct prior to the crimes, skipping the following three months, and have a normal childhood with her parents going forward.

For those people on those other sites I'll withhold a string of pejoratives and foul comments. :mad: Agree with your last sentence.

so too agree with you both. those bitter people too can have money if they want to be in her shoes and go through such a thing--what are they thinking? what kind of stupidity is out there???

I have not read this yet but have had a home sit empty. Insurance was not that bad but there were things that needed to be done. I kept it heated, etc. though (at some expense empty). And checked on. It was in town though.

In a worst case scenario, they could let someone live there for little to some rent that may be an extension of the family or friends who it would not bother to live there but would help out. I have rented out as well and that is different insurance too but not that high, at least not in my experience.

Maybe it is different state by state and company. But I have had both an empty home and one we rented out, and the insurance was not too bad.

jmo.

I have not read this yet but have had a home sit empty. Insurance was not that bad but there were things that needed to be done. I kept it heated, etc. though (at some expense empty). And checked on. It was in town though.

In a worst case scenario, they could let someone live there for little to some rent that may be an extension of the family or friends who it would not bother to live there but would help out. I have rented out as well and that is different insurance too but not that high, at least not in my experience.

Maybe it is different state by state and company. But I have had both an empty home and one we rented out, and the insurance was not too bad.

jmo.

I think it would be very good to read about empty house insurance. They will not pay unless you have a special policy or if your homeowner’s policy allows it. Get it in writing

I think it would be very good to read about empty house insurance. They will not pay unless you have a special policy or if your homeowner’s policy allows it. Get it in writing

Good advice and good articles. We have a rental policy and the home is not empty but it is good to know. For people who put them up empty for sale as well....

What do people think will happen with the killer house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway