Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think will happen with the killer house?

Good question. Just paid off, it is an asset right? I would market it in MN and IL and hope no one knows and try to get someone looking for a cheap not remodeled vacation home/hunting retreat. If I were them.

Jayme Closs not being found within days gave investigators "great hope" she was alive, former attorney general says
In most kidnapping cases, the passing of time breeds despair, but it was the lack of Jayme Closs being found in those first few days that gave investigators hope she was still alive.

While the lack of serious breakthroughs sparked speculation that Jayme’s case was lost, Schimel said for investigators, it actually gave them hope that she could still be found alive.

“Well when she didn't turn up somewhere in a matter of a couple days, then we had great hope,” Schimel told WDJT. “We believed somebody was holding her, which is not good. We knew that meant this was a very difficult life for her but alive is a very good thing.”

Given the severity of the crime, some were shocked to find out that Patterson had no criminal history in Barron County or Wisconsin. Although it may be shocking, Schimel explained it wasn’t a rarity in this type of case.

“That is common, that individuals who prey on children don't have a lengthy history, criminally, that we didn't hear of them before,” Schimel said. “The ones we know about, we're keeping our eye on.”

Minnesota parents wonder how to react after terrifying Jayme Closs kidnapping
It’s nearly impossible for parents to not have a visceral fear reaction to incidents like Closs’ abduction, said Bill Doherty, professor of family social science at the University of Minnesota.

“The first law of parenting in our minds is: Keep them safe,” he said.

And the way our brains process information can exacerbate these hard-wired worries. Mental shortcuts cause us to remember the most sensational incidents, said Lenore Skenazy, author of the book “Free-Range Kids.”

As an example, Skenazy said, after learning that Closs’ alleged abductor first spotted her at a school bus stop, our brains tend to associate her shocking story with children’s safety at bus stops, instead of focusing on the millions of kids who take buses every day without incident.

Statistically speaking, the risk of a child being abducted by a stranger is exceedingly low: There are just over 100 stereotypical kidnappings in the U.S. each year.

Children are far more likely to be abducted or harmed by someone they know. About 90 percent of adults who abuse children are family members or acquaintances. Everyday hazards, including car accidents and falls, pose the greatest risk to young people and are their leading cause of injury and death.

Wouldn't there be three shots? Or did I assume there would be three shots?

Yup, three shots (three for sure that we know of). I could see the discrepancy as being awakened by something, they didn't know what (the first shot), then hearing the next two and thinking there were two shots. But I'm not sure they were asleep. The Mr. said he was dozing off but I'm not sure about the Mrs. Their account, including the clock issue, may never fully explained and goes to show about eye/ear witness testimony.

Last edited:
The blogger worries about whether the media prints too much about how crimes were committed. I can understand the concern and I wonder about that too, but I feel confident that JP did not create his game plan from prior reporting on crimes or from the film Mr. Brooks.

I'm confident on that, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if in time, it is used as a rental.

It wouldn't surprise me, either. And if Jayme's family was cool with that, then that would be fine. No matter how much money people donate to the family, like the rest of us Jayme will have various expenses throughout the rest of her life. If the house brings in some regular money for her, then all the better IMO. There are houses where heinous crimes occurred still standing all over the country. They get rented out and bought.

It wouldn't surprise me, either. And if Jayme's family was cool with that, then that would be fine. No matter how much money people donate to the family, like the rest of us Jayme will have various expenses throughout the rest of her life. If the house brings in some regular money for her, then all the better IMO. There are houses where heinous crimes occurred still standing all over the country. They get rented out and bought.

I think the OP was replying about the killer’s house?

On another post in the last thread, someone stated that this was the first time they'd seen a case that hadn't released all the details right away. In my experience, few rarely do. I was thinking about the McStay family, though. Although we have some general information about what happened, the majority of the details have been kept quiet. That case is STILL waiting to go to trial and it's been, what, 5 years since Merritt was arrested? If this goes to trial at all, and I don't think it will, we could be looking at a long time.

Hi! That was me. What I meant was, normally what had happened to the victim and what the perpetrator did is generally known. Almost every kidnapping/escape/rescued/found story that *I* know of... public knew details (maybe not all but a lot). I don’t want to name cases because I don’t like thinking about them. For me, this is possibly the first case where those details (about what happened to Jayme) haven’t been shared. I’m really glad. I really liked that article that someone posted by another survivor. We don’t need to know the details imo. We just need to know how we can prevent anything like this from happening again... how to be safe, defend ourselves if necessary, be aware of our surroundings, be aware of others, never hesitate to report things that seem off, be attached & connected to our children etc. IMOO ❤️

Good question. Just paid off, it is an asset right? I would market it in MN and IL and hope no one knows and try to get someone looking for a cheap not remodeled vacation home/hunting retreat. If I were them.

Good thought but I do think that the realtor must disclose the history of the property.

Love and hate, opposite sides of the coin. Indifference , not even giving anyone a second of your time, to me, is the greatest power.

If there is a trial, to me it would great if no one showed up except those who had to.

This is so true. In fact, there is an axiom in modern behavioral psychology which states " The opposite of love is not hate but indifference".

At some time in the future, probably years from now, JC may get to the place where she has indifference towards JP. If she can reach that stage, she will have healed and embraced her " new normal" which Elizabeth Smart has discussed. I believe she will do so with great support. :cool:

Good thought but I do think that the realtor must disclose the history of the property.

Not sure in WI so I can't say as I don't know. I know years ago bought a home and the neighbor could not wait to come over and tell us a suicide was committed there... Had no clue and it never bothered me as the intent probably was to tell us that. However, if one has followed and knows of the crime (in that case, it meant nothing to me but I also think it was years before) it might be different for some people. It was not disclosed I know that but that is all I have to go by and it was a long time ago. So you definitely could be right. I do not think either property will be easy to move without a loss--at least now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMpavashootski