AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not OP, but of course what happened to their neighbors is nerve racking. I don’t think they were saying it isn’t. However imagine this happening to your neighbors that you barely know or have interacted with, and then having your house searched and all that. Besides being on edge about a killer being on the loose, it’s got to be stressful to have your house searched, especially if you don’t even know your neighbors. This is all provided you’re not involved in any way.
True. But they have to ask permission first.

Search For Jayme Closs Enters 2nd Week; Sheriff Asks For 2,000 Volunteers
The sheriff says these vehicles were seen on surveillance cameras of homes and businesses near the Closs family home around the time when Jayme disappeared, and her parents Denise and James were killed.

The sheriff doesn’t know why type of license plates the vehicles have. But he’s hopeful this new information will lead more people in the community, the state and nationwide to call the tip line.

“Also for the community, this is a good time now that we have some vehicles of interest to look for changes of behavior or routine of people. We have the two cars described, either they don’t drive them anymore, they’ve changed their routine and what they drive or where they drive,” Sheriff Fitzgerald said.

True, but the likelihood of noticing just two casings in the chaotic midst of a double murder discovery with scattered victims, and then calling those two casings in as "multiple", is pretty small.

JMO.
Right, but since only two gunshots were heard, we can only speculate that another gun was used. Jmo

They don’t steal, no. But there has been instances of random violence. Much like this case.
They do when mommy and daddy figure it out and cut them off financially.
Then the parents stuff starts to go missing.
They have no low they won't stoop to.
Stealing credit card

When meth head lives with him for free and given you a car to drive that you totalled.
A meth head will have the nerve to ask for your other vehicle and when told "no" they will assault you take your keys and total that vehicle too!
Then when a family member who isn't afraid of the meth head calls the police to report elder abuse on their 82 yr old dad, they'll disappear into thin air!
My DAD!
Don't ever underestimate what they are capable of.
Moo

Gathering of Hope held for Jayme Closs in Barron
“Our community stands behind her,” choir members said into the microphone, “and with her in hope.”

Jayme, a 13-year-old Riverview Middle School student, had been a part of their choir until she disappeared one week ago.

“Jayme is a beautiful kid, just like all the other beautiful kids you saw singing,” Barron superintendent Diane Tremblay said, moments after the “Gathering of Hope” event ended at Barron High School. “We have hope. And we’re gonna bring Jayme home.”

This grieving community of Barron County and Western Wisconsin spent a few hours on Monday evening listening to soft music, lighting candles and consoling one another over the tragedy that occurred here one week ago. Mental health professionals from the county were in attendance for anyone who needed their services.

It’s not commonplace. I’ve been to my family cabin about 30 min from Barron at least ten times a year for the last 15 years. Never heard a gunshot at night or heard about anybody hunting coyotes. Deer hunting is the big thing. The reason they let people hunt coyotes whenever they want is because no one does it. And for the few that do, they wouldn’t use a shotgun
I agree a shotgun would not be used-- but we don't know for sure that's what was heard. My only point here being that where we live just west of Barron, coyote hunters are not rare and we hear shots at night with enough frequency that it wouldn't necessarily be cause for alarm.

Open question from last thread:

Someone posted this yesterday and I copied it to add to my opening post:
“It actually sounded like a car backfiring or something quite large,” her husband Tom Smrekar added.
Source: UPDATE: Possible sighting of missing Wisconsin teen in Miami, couple killed identified
Thank you! It’s interesting because there was some back and forth about whether shots could even be heard by neighbors especially if the shots were fired in the house. A car backfiring isn’t typical in newer cars though. Also, the timing is off. They heard the shots before the 911 call. A car backfiring, and I could be wrong, but would that happen upon acceleration?

I googled, from 2carpros.com:

“A backfire condition can also occur in race cars using a turbo charger which is normal because they push the fuel through the engine which is then ignited in the exhaust system.”

I think it's done this way because in obituary lexicon, neither can be listed in the "survived by" section. The whole thing would just get bulky and strange if they tried to word it any other way. Jmo.

I would have just done a dual obituary... but maybe that's a regional thing. I see them all the time. "James and Denise Closs died on October 15, 2018, they are the proud parents of one daughter Jayme."

You just do that for the things that they share. Then you just go into individual obituaries for the rest. "James was born...."

There's a bunch of each of those vehicles on FB Marketplace within a fairly close range from Barron, such as Menomonie and Eau Claire. <modsnip - discussing tips> They'd already check out anything that easy, right? Do they know if the Challenger has the hood stripes?

Last edited by a moderator:
They do when mommy and daddy figure it out and cut them off financially.
Then the parents stuff starts to go missing.
They have no low they won't stoop to.
Stealing credit card

When meth head lives with him for free and given you a car to drive that you totalled.
A meth head will have the nerve to ask for your other vehicle and when told "no" they will assault you take your keys and total that vehicle too!
Then when a family member who isn't afraid of the meth head calls the police to report elder abuse on their 82 yr old dad, they'll disappear into thin air!
My DAD!
Don't ever underestimate what they are capable of.
Moo
I’m sorry for your situation and for your family.
We shouldn’t ever underestimate what anyone is capable of, though, addict or not.

I try to be respectful, lost my brother to a heroin addiction. I know drugs can destroy families and make people do unthinkable things. There are functioning addicts who hold down jobs and work to support their habbits. Then their are ones who resort to crime, but to commit double murder and kidnap a 13 year old. Usually it isn't that type of crime.
I’m sorry for your loss. <3

Search For Jayme Closs Enters 2nd Week; Sheriff Asks For 2,000 Volunteers
The sheriff says these vehicles were seen on surveillance cameras of homes and businesses near the Closs family home around the time when Jayme disappeared, and her parents Denise and James were killed.

The sheriff doesn’t know why type of license plates the vehicles have. But he’s hopeful this new information will lead more people in the community, the state and nationwide to call the tip line.

“Also for the community, this is a good time now that we have some vehicles of interest to look for changes of behavior or routine of people. We have the two cars described, either they don’t drive them anymore, they’ve changed their routine and what they drive or where they drive,” Sheriff Fitzgerald said.
imo this is important information and might just spark someone to realize they've been around someone they would have never suspected of these crimes but had noticed something peculiar in their behaviors. And they drive one of those cars!

Has there ever been a search in a missing person case where 2,000 searchers were requested? I don't recall one. Maybe a couple where that many searchers showed up but not because that many were requested. That's crazy. It sounds like they are searching the area behind the house, so I guess they need that many. Glad they are finally searching there.

I'm trying to remember if the other similar cases did the funerals without the missing person recovered. The only one I recall for sure was H.A. in California. I know that funeral was after she was found. It makes me sad that Jayme will miss her parents funeral.

Sorry, didn't catch up before posting. I can't or the thread is closed for the night. :(

It’s not commonplace. I’ve been to my family cabin about 30 min from Barron at least ten times a year for the last 15 years. Never heard a gunshot at night or heard about anybody hunting coyotes. Deer hunting is the big thing. The reason they let people hunt coyotes whenever they want is because no one does it. And for the few that do, they wouldn’t use a shotgun

It would be uncommon to hunt coyote with a shotgun. Maybe scare them away with one if that's the best you've got handy. Here in Maine, it is very common to hunt coyote, especially near farms. They are hunted for their pelts ($100+), but they are dispatched at night near farms with a suppressed AR, or similar semi-auto. We use suppressors (aka: silencers) so livestock aren't jumped and people are awoken. Looking at the aerial maps, there are a lot of farms in the area around the Closs home. I wouldn't think it too usual to hear firearms discharged, but again, I would expect an experience coyote hunter to suppress the rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member