AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an interstate highway nearby that goes up to Canada?
I saw a weird Twitter thing about an old car that wouldn’t cross customs into Canada after it cleared U.S. Customs. So it was parked in ‘No Mans’ Land’ between the two countries with these two guys in it.
And the the RCMP arrested the two men that were in this old car.
Reporter asked about international search and they did not confirm. Seemed to only confirm domestic. But the border is so close. Much easier to fly to other countries from there. I expect border control and airports have her on alert?

Thought on whether this was a robbery, originally - are there pawn shops nearby or similar stores that pay cash for whatever people bring in? Those types of places by me have security cams and records are kept of what was brought in, by whom.

They for sure have phone records by now. Maybe not the messages, but the call/message logs. Probably had them after the first day or two. Computers and social media can take a little longer, but I'm sure they have the best techs in the FBI on it so they gotta have a great deal of info from that stuff by now.
I'd guess the combination of the media attention and the fact there is a victim still possible alive will get everything on this case massively rushed.

Reporter asked about international search and they did not confirm. Seemed to only confirm domestic. But the border is so close. Much easier to fly to other countries from there. I expect border control and airports have her on alert?
Just weird behavior. To get your car across the U.S. border, then be too afraid to cross into Canada.

The one thing that has bothered me from the beginning is why it took so long to determine a child was missing. Early press explained that away by stating that LE had no prior calls/ incidents with the house/ family. But... cops arrive, a man is shot, but alive, and a woman is dead also shot. There would have been abundant clues to a child’s presence: toys, stuffed animals, family photos, kid’s artwork on fridge, Jayme’s room. They should have discovered this all in the first 5 minutes while clearing the house. Why did it take hours to realize & report her missing? Precious getaway time...
I dont think they took hours to realize she was missing, rather it took time to work with the FBI in order to get the details in order to qualify her for an Amber Alert. There were other things they did in the meantime, I believe, like contacting other agencies. Jmo

Remember that how long the intruders were in the home is based on whether or not you believe the neighbors heard two shots (they didn't hear the police come to the house, the sirens, the emts, didn't even hear the commotion), what time they heard those shots (was it 7 mins later, did she read the clock wrong, etc)
To put it bluntly, they may have not heard anything or at the very least they may be very mistaken about the time. Remember, this is an elderly couple who were unaware their neighbor had a child or had been living there for 17 years.
I can't imagine a Prosecutor putting the neighbors on the witness stand.

Help heard on 911 call or not? It seems unconfirmed.

Weau does report that the word "help" was heard. But it isn't part of the direct quote from the sheriff. At a PC he is asked about "help" and says he doesn't know...

Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.

He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

UPDATE: Sheriff: Missing girl was in home at the time of the murders

On CNN that night, a clip is played from the press conference where the sheriff says:
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The word help, did the dispatcher hear that?

FITZGERALD: I don`t know if the word help was said. I can`t comment on that. I don`t know if that was said, but there was some kind of disturbance going on and that is why law enforcement was sent to the house.

CNN.com - Transcripts

We have so very few actual, verified facts in this case. Imo

There is talk that he was dying upon arrival. Some even say he answered door, which is unlikely as door was already ajar and had been kicked in so could no longer close. Plus they said they saw feet on approach according to 911 call log.
The log say two subjects down unresponsive. I dont believe either were alive when found. Ive read a lot about officer supposedly seeing his feet but cant find it on the log. The part about he being the one who answered tbe door, also on tbe log. I assume since they also say he was down, they mean he was at/answering the door when the door was kicked in.

Interesting! This is something I noticed yesterday and posted something about it. Thank you for looking into it because i was wondering if the way he was parked was significant, it seems odd to me. I had speculated of he had to park fast or there was a car/cars in the driveway when he parked. MOO Thanks!

Maybe rather than answering the door, he was trying to block them from leaving.
If neighbor misread clock and it was 12:51 (determined to be fast by 7 min) then the first shot was mom in the bathroom just after perp hung up phone from 911 and second was dad by door.
What doesn’t make sense is why they would kick in front door in the first place. Wouldn’t they check around for an open door/window? Why so angry? Why choose this time of night? Had they just gotten off shift too or had they been there for some time? Denise’s relatives prob know based on her texting/posts, or lack thereof.

Slightly off topic, but one of the most difficult cases for me to wrap my head around was the Holly Bobo case. Looking at just the known facts in that case, I was having a hard time making 1 + 1 = 2, but once we began sleuthing some crazy, off the wall rumors we were hearing I fought everyone tooth and nail about how outlandish those theories were. Guess what ? Those rumors turned out to be correct. And the truth of what happened STILL doesn't make sense to me.

This case reminds me ALOT of the Holly Bobo case. I suspect that when we do actually find out what happened, we're all going to have a very hard time making sense of it.

JMO

Weau does report that the word "help" was heard. But it isn't part of the direct quote from the sheriff. At a PC he is asked about "help" and says he doesn't know...

Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.

He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

On CNN that night, a clip is played from the press conference where the sheriff says:

FITZGERALD: I don`t know if the word help was said. I can`t comment on that. I don`t know if that was said, but there was some kind of disturbance going on and that is why law enforcement was sent to the house.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Yes, that's correct. It was reported as part of his statement initially, then later at the press conference he did not confirm it. That may have been after the FBI got involved, and he was advised not to release any details. Jmo

There is talk that he was dying upon arrival. Some even say he answered door, which is unlikely as door was already ajar and had been kicked in so could no longer close. Plus they said they saw feet on approach according to 911 call log.

IMO people are confused about “answering the door”. LE didn’t say James answered the door when they arrived. They were just speculating he must have answered the door and was shot by whoever was at the door. As I said before, I think a lot of our discussion and theories on this case are being repeated as facts.

The log say two subjects down unresponsive. I dont believe either were alive when found. Ive read a lot about officer supposedly seeing his feet but cant find it on the log. The part about he being the one who answered tbe door, also on tbe log. I assume since they also say he was down, they mean he was at/answering the door when the door was kicked in.
The seeing feet info came from Fitzgerald in an AB interview.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Nancy Grace reported that the door was shot in and that the family were all sleeping. Where did she get this? Why does she report unverified stuff?

Interesting! This is something I noticed yesterday and posted something about it. Thank you for looking into it because i was wondering if the way he was parked was significant, it seems odd to me. I had speculated of he had to park fast or there was a car/cars in the driveway when he parked. MOO Thanks!
It did strike me as strange. I had wondered if he parked far enough away so that he wasn't noticed by people in the house. For instance, had he become aware someone was there and he was going to sneak upon them? I could think of more possibilities too for him not wanting to be noticed upon his arrival. jmo

Last edited:
IMO people are confused about “answering the door”. LE didn’t say James answered the door when they arrived. They were just speculating he must have answered the door and was shot by whoever was at the door. As I said before, I think a lot of our discussion and theories on this case are being repeated as facts.
Right. I think that was their assumption when they first got there based on the positioning of the body. They may think otherwise now. But we do know he was unresponsive when they arrived. So I think it would have been impossible even for them to know for sure if he answered the door. It was their initial assumption. Jmo

In my experience of living in a town where drugs (and robberies tied to drugs) are a major problems, "meth heads" looking for items to steal, or for money, tend to break in during the day or during times when the house is empty. They are generally not looking to hurt anyone, they just want to rob the place. Taking on a hostage would be rare, too. They usually rob out of desperation (they've depleted their own funds and everyone else's around them) and want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Home invasions, where people are broken in on in the middle of the night, tend to be something else entirely. The fact that this happened so late, and that Jayme was taken, leads me to believe that this was more than just a few addicts looking to score.

Yes, to this and wanted to add that most "meth heads" who steal to support their habits would have long ago sold a firearm they may have had for drug money.

It did strike me as strange. I had wondered if he parked far enough away so that he wasn't noticed by people in the house. For instance, had he become someone was there and he was going to sneak upon them? I could think of more possibilities too for hime not wanting to be noticed upon his arrival. jmo
I still think LE moved the car to get it out of the way. Could be wrong. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members