AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It did strike me as strange. I had wondered if he parked far enough away so that he wasn't noticed by people in the house. For instance, had he become someone was there and he was going to sneak upon them? I could think of more possibilities too for hime not wanting to be noticed upon his arrival. jmo
None of us even knows when he arrived home. He could’ve been home for an hour or more, or even several hours before the incident.

<modsnip - rumor with no link>I can imagine a scenario where the responding officer hears from dispatch something like, "just received call ... called back but no answer..." (etc.).

First officer arrives at the scene with only that information, and can see a person down. While he/she surveys area or maybe waits for backup, calls it in as a potential suicide. Dispatcher makes the quick note in the log.

Maybe the last time he/she was dispatched under similar circumstances that's what had happened. Or maybe a recent training he/she attended covered the topic, or conversation with a peer.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that as a plausible reason for that entry in the dispatch log.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that has bothered me from the beginning is why it took so long to determine a child was missing. Early press explained that away by stating that LE had no prior calls/ incidents with the house/ family. But... cops arrive, a man is shot, but alive, and a woman is dead also shot. There would have been abundant clues to a child’s presence: toys, stuffed animals, family photos, kid’s artwork on fridge, Jayme’s room. They should have discovered this all in the first 5 minutes while clearing the house. Why did it take hours to realize & report her missing? Precious getaway time...
It took 15 hrs to meet criteria for Amber Alert. An eighth grader does not typically have toys. Maybe stuffed animals...probably art. Definitely photos. The aunt was contacted at 4 am according to 911 call log. When was she first reported endangered?

Nancy Grace reported that the door was shot in and that the family were all sleeping. Where did she get this? Why does she report unverified stuff?
In the Mollie Tibbetts case she said Mollie was "running through a corn field," so I wouldn't take anything she says too seriously, unless it's been widely stated by reputable news sources. Jmo

Something I see being misunderstood here is if you look at the police log, the dispatcher was who first advised "possible suicide attemp" (based on what was heard on 911 call?) not the officers. The type of call was changed from suicide to homicide upon officer arrival.

That is not the impression I got at all. How interesting. I will look for the rather official looking doc someone shared eons ago. The call is clearly a "911 hang up" for a time before it is changed to "suicide" by the responding officers' first impression, then finally updated to homicide.

Edited to add link courtesy of @Wrenny in thread #6

Log of Closs case activity

Edited again to try and add screen shot of page showing 911 hang up change to suicidal person
Screenshot_20181027-112801.png

Last edited:
I have a question about the door being kicked in. Do we know the perp(s) kicked the door in? Could it have been already broken and in need of repair prior to the perps coming over? To my knowledge there hasn't been any verification, only speculation.

I dont think they took hours to realize she was missing, rather it took time to work with the FBI in order to get the details in order to qualify her for an Amber Alert. There were other things they did in the meantime, I believe, like contacting other agencies. Jmo

I find it of interest that she qualified for an amber alert. Because I don't think she did. So why did they put an amber alert out?

None of us even knows when he arrived home. He could’ve been home for an hour or more, or even several hours before the incident.
True. It sure would be helpful if we knew. Even knowing the shift hours doesn't really help, as he could have been working overtime from the morning shift for all we know. All we know is the party was in the afternoon and he was working at the time. Jmo

It did strike me as strange. I had wondered if he parked far enough away so that he wasn't noticed by people in the house. For instance, had he become someone was there and he was going to sneak upon them? I could think of more possibilities too for hime not wanting to be noticed upon his arrival. jmo
Or he was rushing to park it and get out? Ive gone this route and get mowed over by everyone who dont believe he came home to something amiss (the way his body was found, etc etc) so I just dont say it anymore, but do believe its a strong possibility.

Something I see being misunderstood here is if you look at the police log, the dispatcher was who first advised "possible suicide attemp" (based on what was heard on 911 call?) not the officers. The type of call was changed from suicide to homicide upon officer arrival.

It's confusing, yes, but I think the consensus here is that the dispatcher was advised by the first responder, not the other way around.

Regarding crossing into Canada, I've crossed into Canada from MN frequently, because our family owns property up there. All of the border crossings have computer information at their fingertips, including ALERTS. I once forgot my passport, and they just went into their computer and used my DL info to find me. They also had my passport info IN THEIR COMPUTER. Highly unlikely anyone could cross with an endangered child, or without passports. (even if she were hidden) They would also check trunks etc, considering the missing child alert,

True. It sure would be helpful if we knew. Even knowing the shift hours doesn't really help, as he could have been working overtime from the morning shift for all we know. All we know is the party was in the afternoon and he was working at the time. Jmo
BBM
I'm not sure about this. jmo

I find it of interest that she qualified for an amber alert. Because I don't think she did. So why did they put an amber alert out?
I'm not sure of all the details but I think they contacted the FBI twice before they got the ok. There must be someone who knows more about it because I read about it many threads ago. I just don't remember all the details. I know that since there was no car description that was a factor, and they may have had to provide more details in order to get the ok. Jmo

The log say two subjects down unresponsive. I dont believe either were alive when found. Ive read a lot about officer supposedly seeing his feet but cant find it on the log. The part about he being the one who answered tbe door, also on tbe log. I assume since they also say he was down, they mean he was at/answering the door when the door was kicked in.

But if he was at work, he could not have been home by 12:31 am unless neighbor misread clock or he was not at work (or left early).

I just think that if LE suspected a random kidnapping that there would be a bit more "sense of urgency" involved in the way they are communicating to the public. To me, it seems this case is pretty much going cold from an interest perspective, and many of us, it appears, will be moving on to another WS case absent any concrete development or tangible, allowable theories.

Sad.

JMO.

I'm not sure of all the details but I think they contacted the FBI twice before they got the ok. There must be someone who knows more about it because I read about it many threads ago. I just don't remember all the details. I know that since there was no car description that was a factor, and they may have had to provide more details in order to get the ok. Jmo
I have a feeling that whatever was on that 911 call made it apparent she was taken against her will and by someone who didn't have authority to do so.

I have a feeling that whatever was on that 911 call made it apparent she was taken against her will and by someone who didn't have authority to do so.
Yes, I'm sure they used whatever evidence they could to get the Amber Alert out. Jmo

May have taken time to gather the info and waiting for FBI to agree. You probably know the stuff below but just adding for clarity
The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death. There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child. The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18