AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine too. We hear shots every night.

It honestly doesn't matter what we think or how we would have reacted, though. It's up to what the neighbors in THAT particular area were used to. If they regularly heard shots at night, then no, the shots probably wouldn't have stood out.
You are absolutely right.

Help heard on 911 call or not? It seems unconfirmed.

Weau does report that the word "help" was heard. But it isn't part of the direct quote from the sheriff. At a PC he is asked about "help" and says he doesn't know...

Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.

He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

UPDATE: Sheriff: Missing girl was in home at the time of the murders

On CNN that night, a clip is played from the press conference where the sheriff says:
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The word help, did the dispatcher hear that?

FITZGERALD: I don`t know if the word help was said. I can`t comment on that. I don`t know if that was said, but there was some kind of disturbance going on and that is why law enforcement was sent to the house.

CNN.com - Transcripts

We have so very few actual, verified facts in this case. Imo

This is where it came from, that the word "help" was heard on the 9/11 call- an article by the neighbors on the Daily Mail:

Jayme Closs' neighbors heard two gunshots 20 minutes before 911 call was made | Daily Mail Online

According to Joan, FBI officers who interviewed her and Tom told them that there was only one word that could be made out of the 911 call from Denise's cell.

'They said they could hear the word, "Help!" but nothing else,' she revealed. 'There was too much noise.'

Been lurking/following here, but first post. One thing I have found interesting is that there has never been any mention (correct me if I am wrong) about the victims' clothing. Were they dressed in "regular" clothes (pants, skirt, etc.) or bedtime ones (nightgown, PJs etc). To me, this would indicate, when the incident began, if they were awake and up in the house, watching TV or something, or if they were in bed asleep.

This is a very important comment. They have said nothing about what Jayme may have been wearing before she went missing. Was she in her pjs or are her outside clothes missing? Probably hard to ascertain given the parents are no longer here but nevertheless important.

Ok now wait....first officers on scene reported possible suicide attempt right? First officers on scene also reported the door kicked in and that he answered the door. That dont add up to me.

Ok. I'm looking at the call log again. It's not clear, but I think the officers may have arrived independently, soon, but over staggered times. Sheriff's deputies in my area would each have their own vehicle, not team up, especially on a Sunday night.

At 11:56, officers #329, #325, and #317 were dispatched to the scene, with very limited info: hang up call, with yelling. #329 appears to arrive first, or at least reports to dispatch first. I imagine he/she pulls in, everything is quite, no movements, no noise or voices.

1:03, officer #329 reports to dispatch: possible suicide.
1:04, #329 requests EMT

Next:
1:05, officer #325 reports one male down, multiple rounds spent.
1:06, officer #317 advises door "has been" kicked in.

So now there are 3 officers/deputies. This could mean the 1st officer waited 1-3 minutes for backup or supervisor before entering the home. I don't know, just a plausible scenario - often SOP for LE to advise a superior, wait for backup, etc. I suspect the first officers also moved around the outside of the home and vehicles with flashlights to assess any risk factors, etc. during this time.

Next:
1:08, #317 advises they are going to clear the house.
1:11, #317 advises two subjects down.

There's a lot more info on the log, but keep in mind the words/notes are the dispatchers interpretations of info being relayed, quickly, and in short sound-bites. Each responder will have made complete records and reports which we will likely never see before a trial.

Link: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/barron+county+call+log.pdf

Been lurking/following here, but first post. One thing I have found interesting is that there has never been any mention (correct me if I am wrong) about the victims' clothing. Were they dressed in "regular" clothes (pants, skirt, etc.) or bedtime ones (nightgown, PJs etc). To me, this would indicate, when the incident began, if they were awake and up in the house, watching TV or something, or if they were in bed asleep.
Welcome to the forum. If you look at the 1st page of every thread there are facts. This question has puzzled us as to why this fact is not disclosed

You are the first person to notice this discrepancy. Why change call to possible suicide hours later when he was answering a door that was being kicked in??

call log excerpt below

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. Nothing was changed hours later.

The police pulled into the driveway and on approach to the house saw that the door was open and saw the feet of someone lying on the ground. They called it in to dispatch as a possible suicide. As they approached the door they saw that there were multiple rounds (which would not indicate suicide), that the door had damage that looked like it had been kicked in, and that since he was so close to the door it was possible he was shot while answering it.

On the log, there is about one minute between them calling it in as a suicide, and then changing their initial diagnosis of the scene to something more sinister. I'd also note that there are three different officers saying all of those things, so they may have had different viewing angles of the scene. 329 noted the apparent suicide. 325 noticed the multiple rounds. 317 noted that the door appeared to be kicked in and the victim had appeared to be answering the door.

Here is the log:

1:04 329 REQUESTED TO HAVE EMS STAGE. PAGED EMS FOR AN APPARENT SUICIDE.

[118 - 10/15/2018 01:04:17] 325 ADVISED ONE MALE DOWN, MULTIPLE ROUNDS SPENT. REQUESTED THAT ADMIN BE NOTIFIED.

[115 - 10/15/2018 01:05:19] 317 REQUESTED ERT BE PAGED OUT. ADVISED THE DOOR HAS BEEN KICKED IN. ADVISED THAT THE MALE WHO IS DOWN HAD ANSWERED THE DOOR. UNKNOWN IF ANYONE IS MISSING.

Jayme Closs: 911 dispatch log released from night of Wisconsin teen's disappearance

I think at first they didn't know what all was on that, couldn't decipher, etc. They probably decided what was her voice and realized she was taken against her will. jmo
To clarify whose voice(s), who is yelling (per dispatch log), wouldn't LE play the cleaned up 911 tape for each family member like grandfather, aunt, etc. individually to try to get confirmation JLC vs. DC, James vs. Unsub, do they recognize Unsub voice if it was heard? Something on the 911 call leads LE to believe JLC is still alive...

We don't know for certain where the dad was that day, but not at the party.
We don't know what time Jayme and her mom returned home from the party.
We don't know when the door was broken or by whom.
We don't know why the door was broken, except to get inside.
We don't when the perp(s) arrived.
We don't know the perp(s) original intent upon arrival.

I know there's more but I think we've been addressing these with unknown facts. I would like to know the factual answers to these.

Last edited:
To clarify whose voice(s), who is yelling (per dispatch log), wouldn't LE play the cleaned up 911 tape for each family member like grandfather, aunt, etc. individually to try to get confirmation JLC vs. DC, James vs. Unsub, do they recognize Unsub voice if it was heard? Something on the 911 call leads LE to believe JLC is still alive...
I believe LE believes JC was alive upon exiting the home, that she was taken. I believe they believe this because of the tapes and because she was not there.

You are correct. Has been no mention of that. Would be an important detail to know. LE is either withholding that or has not been asked, but they surely know the answer.

Right! If mom was in pajamas, Jayme may have been. It was a school night, so she should have been in bed one would think.

This is a very important comment. They have said nothing about what Jayme may have been wearing before she went missing. Was she in her pjs or are her outside clothes missing? Probably hard to ascertain given the parents are no longer here but nevertheless important.
Only way LE would know is if relatives were able to tell them what clothing was missing.

Some have suggested the next day (Monday) was a day off from the schools. Is this accurate?
I wonder if there is a school calendar listed online on the school's web page. I know our town has one so you can look up half days or teacher workshop days schedules as well as vacations. I forget which school Jayme was attending, or I would look it up myself- that would tell us if school was in session that Monday or not.

This is where it came from, that the word "help" was heard on the 9/11 call- an article by the neighbors on the Daily Mail:

Jayme Closs' neighbors heard two gunshots 20 minutes before 911 call was made | Daily Mail Online

According to Joan, FBI officers who interviewed her and Tom told them that there was only one word that could be made out of the 911 call from Denise's cell.

'They said they could hear the word, "Help!" but nothing else,' she revealed. 'There was too much noise.'

They certainly have perpetuated that myth, but I think WEAU reported it first. It is in the 3rd update to their article, but no date is obvious any more. The local station reported it before the erroneous Miami tip. I don't think WEAU has it right either, but they do seem to have possibly started the rumour even before DM picked it up.

Still, the sheriff himself cast doubt on hearing any "help" or any other decipherable words in his PC when he was asked directly about it. As seen in CNN transcript. Of course, later he sites the call as part of the evidence pointing to Jayme being home at the time of the murders, but still doesn't tell us what was heard besides "yelling" or iirc he also used the word commotion to describe it.

I am flabbergasted by what I hear from folks IRL who are aware of the case and think they have the facts. The reporting is all over the place.

Last edited:
There are many facts that appear to be undisclosed by LE, in this case as well as Molly's case. My question is not meant to be a critique of LE but a request for some clarification. Who exactly is responsible for going over these cases - after they are solved to both "grade" the guy in charge and to "adjust " investigative methods- assuming someone does? I can see missing something, but can't accept sloppiness by some investigator and with 200 the odds are..........

Ok now wait....first officers on scene reported possible suicide attempt right? First officers on scene also reported the door kicked in and that he answered the door. That dont add up to me.
Keep in mind that the first three log entries after arrival on scene come from three different officers. The first entry is from 329, the second from 325 and the third from 317.

And the Sheriff further "clarified" the "answering the door" part

Clarification: Chilling details revealed in dispatch record

About 4 minutes after the call, deputies arrived at the house. Dispatch records state that James Closs answered the door. On Friday afternoon, Fitzgerald was asked if that was accurate in the dispatch logs that James Closs had answered the door, he said yes.

After more discussion with Fitzgerald on Saturday morning, Fitzgerald said he was not releasing any information about how the door got opened. He said when the deputies arrived at the house, James was found dead at the door. When asked whether a deputy had kicked in the door, Fitzgerald said he could not comment due to an active investigation.

55BCF3BA-F7E8-452E-A9B5-05252A527A05.jpeg
I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. Nothing was changed hours later.

The police pulled into the driveway and on approach to the house saw that the door was open and saw the feet of someone lying on the ground. They called it in to dispatch as a possible suicide. As they approached the door they saw that there were multiple rounds (which would not indicate suicide), that the door had damage that looked like it had been kicked in, and that since he was so close to the door it was possible he was shot while answering it.

On the log, there is about one minute between them calling it in as a suicide, and then changing their initial diagnosis of the scene to something more sinister. I'd also note that there are three different officers saying all of those things, so they may have had different viewing angles of the scene. 329 noted the apparent suicide. 325 noticed the multiple rounds. 317 noted that the door appeared to be kicked in and the victim had appeared to be answering the door.

Here is the log:

1:04 329 REQUESTED TO HAVE EMS STAGE. PAGED EMS FOR AN APPARENT SUICIDE.

[118 - 10/15/2018 01:04:17] 325 ADVISED ONE MALE DOWN, MULTIPLE ROUNDS SPENT. REQUESTED THAT ADMIN BE NOTIFIED.

[115 - 10/15/2018 01:05:19] 317 REQUESTED ERT BE PAGED OUT. ADVISED THE DOOR HAS BEEN KICKED IN. ADVISED THAT THE MALE WHO IS DOWN HAD ANSWERED THE DOOR. UNKNOWN IF ANYONE IS MISSING.

Jayme Closs: 911 dispatch log released from night of Wisconsin teen's disappearance
You are quoting ABC. I am quoting the actual call log.
Dispatch changed the type of call to homicide at 3:04 am. Dispatch was referring to call as possible suicide until then. Not saying LE thought that until 3:04 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch