AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right! If mom was in pajamas, Jayme may have been. It was a school night, so she should have been in bed one would think.
Saw somewhere in a previous thread that it wasn't a school night that schools were closed that monday. Can't verify this

Welcome to the forum. If you look at the 1st page of every thread there are facts. This question has puzzled us as to why this fact is not disclosed
I don't find it puzzling. Nobody knows what Jayme was wearing. What the parents were wearing doesn't help find Jayme, so LE isn't releasing that.
Some have suggested the next day (Monday) was a day off from the schools. Is this accurate?
No. School was out on Friday, but not Monday.
I wonder if there is a school calendar listed online on the school's web page. I know our town has one so you can look up half days or teacher workshop days schedules as well as vacations. I forget which school Jayme was attending, or I would look it up myself- that would tell us if school was in session that Monday or not.
Barron Area School District - School Calendar

It was one of the first officers on the scene who said this. That was the initial impression of the officer upon arriving on the scene. Likely because at first they saw a single body (James Closs) by itself with a gunshot wound. So I think the natural first thought in an officer's head was suicide because suicide is more common than murder.
New here. I also questioned why they assumed suicide. That struck me as so odd. Was it because LE does not imagine a murder happening, so they immediately think suicide? Or was it something they heard on 911 call that made them think this? Recently they said they could only make out the word "help" so I don't think the 911 call made them think suicide. The reason I bring up the suicide angle is that if LE thought they were going to a suicide call, they may not have noticed a car(s) leaving the scene and may have passed a car fleeing. 4 minutes to escape on those roads without being noticed made me think they escaped on foot and were maybe staying hidden nearby. But now that it is maybe 9 minutes, and town is not that far, I suppose a car(s) could get away without being noticed within 9 minutes.

Sheriff: ‘There is a tip out there that will break this case’
Posting on Facebook late Saturday morning, Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said they’ve received over 1,900 tips. Of those, they’ve closed more than 1,700 of them.

Investigators from the sheriff’s office, state Department of Criminal Investigation, and the FBI are working on the remainder.

In the post, he said, “There is a tip out there that will break this case, keep them coming in.”

New here. I also questioned why they assumed suicide. That struck me as so odd. Was it because LE does not imagine a murder happening, so they immediately think suicide? Or was it something they heard on 911 call that made them think this? Recently they said they could only make out the word "help" so I don't think the 911 call made them think suicide. The reason I bring up the suicide angle is that if LE thought they were going to a suicide call, they may not have noticed a car(s) leaving the scene and may have passed a car fleeing. 4 minutes to escape on those roads without being noticed made me think they escaped on foot and were maybe staying hidden nearby. But now that it is maybe 9 minutes, and town is not that far, I suppose a car(s) could get away without being noticed within 9 minutes.
I sure hope they looked back over the first responders dash cams for the ride there. That is a good point about them not looking for someone fleeing, if they thought they were heading to a potential suicide.

Only way LE would know is if relatives were able to tell them what clothing was missing.
Seems like something they could share. If mom was in jammies, Jayme was in jammies, or she changed. If she changed, her pajamas would be on the floor. Were her drawers empty? Left opened? Would kidnapper(s) have even cared if she had street clothes on/with her?
Theory #8
Could a worker or delivery person have been mad at Jim? Did they get home before him? The stolen red/orange car (the one found in Osh Kosh had yellow markings like it was ready for auction) headed south, and met the delivery truck which headed to parts unknown.

Last edited:
Ok. I'm looking at the call log again. It's not clear, but I think the officers may have arrived independently, soon, but over staggered times. Sheriff's deputies in my area would each have their own vehicle, not team up, especially on a Sunday night.

At 11:56, officers #329, #325, and #317 were dispatched to the scene, with very limited info: hang up call, with yelling. #329 appears to arrive first, or at least reports to dispatch first. I imagine he/she pulls in, everything is quite, no movements, no noise or voices.

1:03, officer #329 reports to dispatch: possible suicide.
1:04, #329 requests EMT

Next:
1:05, officer #325 reports one male down, multiple rounds spent.
1:06, officer #317 advises door "has been" kicked in.

So now there are 3 officers/deputies. This could mean the 1st officer waited 1-3 minutes for backup or supervisor before entering the home. I don't know, just a plausible scenario - often SOP for LE to advise a superior, wait for backup, etc. I suspect the first officers also moved around the outside of the home and vehicles with flashlights to assess any risk factors, etc. during this time.

Next:
1:08, #317 advises they are going to clear the house.
1:11, #317 advises two subjects down.

There's a lot more info on the log, but keep in mind the words/notes are the dispatchers interpretations of info being relayed, quickly, and in short sound-bites. Each responder will have made complete records and reports which we will likely never see before a trial.

Link: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/barron+county+call+log.pdf
If you go page 7 on that report you will find the RADIO LOG that will show the order in which officers were dispatched and when they arrived. The type of incident at the time of dispatch for every officer throughout the incident is given in this section of the log - look for all the entries that have "(dispatched)" as part of the entry.

The initial three officers were dispatched when the incident was known a a 911 Hang Up - they all have "911 Hang Up (dispatched)". It won't be until officers dispatched after 1:22am where there are officers dispatched under the incident type "Suicidal Person / Attempted Suicide (dispatched)". We know that the advisement from an officer of possible suicide came earlier, however, the 911 dispatch did not change the incident type until some time after the "ERT Page" went out because of the numerous officers (members of the Emergency Response Team) are dispatched as "911 Hang Up (dispatched)".

It is clear that the original classification of this incident was a "911 Hang Up".

It is also known that the first three officers arrived at virtually the same time - 317 is recorded arriving at 1:00:29 and 329 and 325 are recorded arriving at 1:00:30 - one second apart.

Edited to Add: Re-linking the full unredacted 911 call report
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/barron+county+call+log.pdf

A car could be in the next town over with a 9 minute lead.

Suicide occurs at a far higher rate than murder, and that may have played into the dispatcher’s assumption that this was a possible suicide attempt.

As for a vehicle perhaps passing police on their way to the scene, it’s certainly possible.

Fortunately, dashboard cameras would likely clear this up for them.

Edit* The officers first on the scene appear to have made that initial assumption, not the dispatcher.

Last edited:
I am quoting the dispatch log.
Your cited source is excerpts from an ABC article.
The call type was changed hrs later.
When they found mom, they may have still thought murder/suicide.
You are right though, by 1:30 am (approx) they knew there were no guns present. It didn’t take hrs to figure that out, just to change the call type in the log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch