AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were they buried in a single casket ?
Possibly just a symbolic casket since the burials will not be held until later. I don't know if there is any law in Wisconsin that would prevent two people being buried in the same casket if that were the family wishes. However, caskets aren't sized for two adults and one would have to be custom built.

While we are on the subject, what is your opinion on whether or not gunshots like the neighbors describe (sounded like a gun used in hunting, very loud, etc) can be heard from within the house. Some people say it would not be heard. I know when shot inside the sound reverberates and bounces off the walls, but couldn't it still be pretty loud? The reason I asked is because I was a witness in a murder, just because I heard the shots which were fired inside a house about twice as far as the neighbors was in this case. The gunshots that I heard were very loud. I was outside, which might make a difference. I was 12 years old at the time but I can still remember exactly what it sounded like. It was some type of rifle, used for hunting. But no mistake of how loud they were. I know the neighbors also being inside may make a difference in this case, but in your opinion how much of a difference would it make if fired inside? A huge difference or a little?

In my experience, all center-fire rifles and handguns sound loud.

Outdoors, in the still of night, the sound will travel, even echo or almost linger for a time. To me, it sounds similar to a lightening crack. Inside, the walls and insulation would absorb some of the sound. In either case, you may hear it within several hundred yards, but it's not likely anyone, even with a great deal of experience could tell what kind, caliber, action-type, etc. of firearm it was from inside the house next door.

The neighbor (man) said it wasn't a handgun, .22 or .410.
A .410 is a small shot-shell that can be shot from pistol or long-barrel shotgun.
A .22 is rim-fire, one of the smallest rifle/pistol calibers.
Both are small, with very little powder, compared to larger gauge/caliber.
The neighbor sounded like he knows something about guns, enough to have an opinion. And if he discounts .22 or .410 I could take his word on that, but handgun are loud too.

Some common-use handguns and rifles both fall in the 160-170 decibels (dB) range and other common-use handguns and rifles both fall in the 140-160 dB range. Hearing damage occurs over 140, so, IMO, without a dB meter, you are probably guessing and odds are 50/50 of getting it right.

Yeah I saw one parked downtown a little earlier. I'm a 12 hour drive away but I still rolled back around the block to check for WI plates. Ha
Ha! Well it’s certainly encouraging that people like you are being observant.

Hopefully people within that area share your awareness.

Possibly just a symbolic casket since the burials will not be held until later. I don't know if there is any law in Wisconsin that would prevent two people being buried in the same casket if that were the family wishes. However, caskets aren't sized for two adults and one would have to be custom built.

I am aware of an awful case where it was cheaper to do it that way. Funeral and burial costs are expensive. I could see everyone’s funds in the family being tight right now. Not sure if that is why at all, but thought I would share that as a possibility. It so tough, all the way around.

Do u mean the Monte Carlo? Maybe they stole it and needed to get outta Dodge, ran it until gas was low, then right into the lake. Will be interested to see what the VIN shows...
No I very much doubt that Monte Carlo is related. They wouldn't need to get rid of a second car that isn't under the watch of the entire state of Wisconsin. That would mean they would be driving a 3rd car now!

In my experience, all center-fire rifles and handguns sound loud.

Outdoors, in the still of night, the sound will travel, even echo or almost linger for a time. To me, it sounds similar to a lightening crack. Inside, the walls and insulation would absorb some of the sound. In either case, you may hear it within several hundred yards, but it's not likely anyone, even with a great deal of experience could tell what kind, caliber, action-type, etc. of firearm it was from inside the house next door.

The neighbor (man) said it wasn't a handgun, .22 or .410.
A .410 is a small shot-shell that can be shot from pistol or long-barrel shotgun.
A .22 is rim-fire, one of the smallest rifle/pistol calibers.
Both are small, with very little powder, compared to larger gauge/caliber.
The neighbor sounded like he knows something about guns, enough to have an opinion. And if he discounts .22 or .410 I could take his word on that, but handgun are loud too.

Some common-use handguns and rifles both fall in the 160-170 decibels (dB) range and other common-use handguns and rifles both fall in the 140-160 dB range. Hearing damage occurs over 140, so, IMO, without a dB meter, you are probably guessing and odds are 50/50 of getting it right.

I have a 380 and it's as loud as my shotgun. They are all loud, especially in the dead of night...jmo

Yeah I saw one parked downtown a little earlier. I'm a 12 hour drive away but I still rolled back around the block to check for WI plates. Ha
Unless law enforcement says to the contrary I wouldn't presume that the vehicles of interest had WI plates on them at the time they were seen and may not have the same plates on them today that were on them the night of the murders.

No I very much doubt that Monte Carlo is related. They wouldn't need to get rid of a second car that isn't under the watch of the entire state of Wisconsin. That would mean they would be driving a 3rd car now!
True. Also, if cars based on video surveillance, gearheads know a challenger from a monte carlo I expect.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had another thought about what could have happened. JC may have been leaving work and had an argument with a coworker, or may have started to pull out of the parking lot without looking closely and almost caused an accident. Whoever it was gets very irate and pulled a gun/rifle/shotgun out of his car and threatened JC with it. JC takes off in his car and hurries home; he parks where his truck was found and rushes into the house to grab a gun of his own or maybe just his phone to call 911. As he shut the door, [he yells to DC to call 911 as (if you don't accept the neighbor's time)] the other guy comes and kicks/shoots in the door, and either JC was shot through the door or immediately after the door was opened. DC comes running into the room to see what's going on and immediately turns around to try to find a safe place to call from. If the neighbor's time is correct, he may have assaulted her one way or another (either physically or sexually), but if their time is off she may have called right away and it was the scuffle at the door that the 911 operator heard. Either way, he shoots her sooner or later, and JC comes from her bedroom to see what woke her up. If DC hadn't already called 911, JC may have gone to the living room first, seen her father and calls them, but the guy comes out of whatever room the assault was taking place and she's too scared to talk. He knocks the phone from her hand and knows LE will be there soon so he grabs her and runs.

It made so much more sense in my head than it does reading this, but I spent too much time on it to just delete it. MOO

Of course it's possible (anything is) but I don't buy this. I can see someone being irate after a near accident and pulling a gun, but to chase them 3 miles up the road to his house and then kick his door in and murder his wife would be an insane over reaction. I'd also question why James would go home to call 911 or get his own gun when the police department is located less than a mile from the workplace.

For those with interest in that Monte Carlo

Paul Blume on Twitter

Authorities were definitely aware of the car situation yesterday. Was told pretty quick though, not related to #JaymeCloss. Wrong make, model, etc. Police in Oskhosh also dismissed it when @FOX9 called. So on surface, I'd say no go. But it still seems awfully suspicious..

I am aware of an awful case where it was cheaper to do it that way. Funeral and burial costs are expensive. I could see everyone’s funds in the family being tight right now. Not sure if that is why at all, but thought I would share that as a possibility. It so tough, all the way around.

Definitely. It has been 8 years and we are still suffering the financial ramifications of our son's death. Still trying to pay off expenses. Some people have a coffin for the visitation and then have the bodies cremated.

The obituary states that a private burial will take place later. I don't get the impression that either would be cremated because usually there is no mention of burial in such obituaries.
I guess there are differences from area to geographical area. Here, in Texas, that is, people are sometimes cremated and the cremains are interred in a casket in a cemetery. Many people have their pets' ashes buried in the casket with their ashes. ( Yes, I want this too).

The obituary states that a private burial will take place later. I don't get the impression that either would be cremated because usually there is no mention of burial in such obituaries.

Our child was cremated but still buried. So was my mothet-in-law. Both obits mentioned burials. We wanted them to be buried but it was much cheaper to get them cremated. I hate that it's something one must consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95