AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't imo. But it changes how we've been assuming the circumstances to have unfolded. jmo I'm going to have to give this a lot of thought. Is it possible the gunshot the neighbors heard came from a different location than Jayme's home?
Anything is possible, although I think we would know if there was a second incident of gunfire.

At one point I wondered if she had a secret, pre-paid phone that nobody knew about. It was an idea. I don't feel strongly about it.

I had wondered the same. Still an idea, but at this point it is all speculation, isn't it? This case needs a break. Hoping it comes sooner rather than later. I have seen comments about this case being a cold one or soon to be cold and I just wanted to mention something I heard a detective say on a podcast I am listening to. Its the Amy Mihaljevic case from 1990. ( Great podcast, by the way). When asked about this case and other cold cases, the detective said that Amy's case has never been considered a cold case because it was never closed. It has always been worked; always had a detective working on it all these years. He defined a cold case as one that has met with dead ends and no longer has a detective assigned and actively working it. I think that LE defines a cold case differently from the general public and I wanted to throw that out there.

In listening to Amy's case it has brought up some interesting thoughts in regards to Jayme's case. While the perps' methods to obtain the girls were different, I wonder about any similarities that might exist between the cases as far as how the perps zero in on the victims. The perp in Amy's case did target her and appeared to have planned the crime out meticulously, which is interesting to me in the absence of any internet at the time. This perp actually accessed her at first by phone. I was just turning all of this over in my head due to the fact that I continue to go back to thoughts of some kind of electronic interaction between Jayme and her abductor, accidental, fraudulent or otherwise. While Amy's case has not been solved (her body was found weeks later) they do know quite a bit more about the perp/crime and I believe her case will be solved one day. Looking at the list of possible suspects and what kind of access they had to the victim, one includes a man who volunteered at a nature conservancy that the 10 year old attended regularly in which she signed the registry complete with phone number. Another is the sibling of a riding instructor. There is a longer list but you see where I am going. These are not things that we would automatically think of, and I am guilty of allowing the social media angle to dominate my thoughts. I hope they have gone through every receipt, every ticket stub and scrap of paper they can find in the Closs home that could shed light on even the most brief or incidental activity that could be a potential link.

My intent is not to derail this thread with another case; only to draw a comparison and bring out possible ways (other than the internet & social media) that a stranger could have come across a young girl and become fixated on her enough to want to commit such a horrible crime. Is there some random something that she signed up for but has now been forgotten? Some place she visited that maybe her extended family would not remember or know about? Is it possible that one or both parents would be the only people who could make that connection between the perp and the crime?

My hope is that Jayme's case will be solved by bringing her home alive. The clock is ticking, though.

Sorry so long with my Saturday morning thoughts.

Edited to add thoughts.

Last edited:
Perhaps those of you who have contact with Paul Blume could ask him to try to get clarification on the 4 minute crime comment ? I would hate for us to spend days focusing on that without clarification, because I truly believe Fitzgerald simply misspoke.

Maybe the sheriff really was trying to discount the neighbors timeline without specifically saying so. Or maybe he was insenuating that it could be that whoever was inside the home was someone who frequents the house often (he went into great detail explaining the dna elimination process). Or maybe both. Maybe neither. Im also not ruling out of my own theory that soneone was already there and the "crime" aspect didnt happen until the last few minutes. He talks casually and openly (not rehearsed or careful with words), but imho hes playing this very smart by things he says, and things he doesnt say. And I feel like hes not just doing all these interviews for the media, or for the people, but i feel like hes possibly intentionally saying things for whoever did this to hear. As I believe the Aunt did. He maybe cannot guarantee anything just yet without proper proof or evidence, but I strongly feel he has a stronger working theory than he is able to discuss. Jmho.

At this time I'm hoping that my theory is correct that a young man with romantic interest in Jayme has her. Maybe she was moved to another school as a way for her parents to separate them. Being forbidden to see her could have enraged him into killing the parents and taking her. Maybe he thinks so much of her that he will not harm her.
You can only hope that this is the case.

Still, it would have been easy enough for the sheriff to say that they have found nothing about any boyfriend, 19 or otherwise. Saying “no comment” can be inflammatory in some cases, jmo.

Is it just speculation though? It is how her family and friends have characterized Jayme.

Yes, it is. Cardinal47 used the word "seems" in the post I was responding to. That means Cardinal47 acknowledged his/her view is speculative.

ETA: It was Cardinal47 that used the word "seems" in the post I was originally responding to, not you. So, I've edited my post to reflect that.

Last edited:
It does seem the Sheriff is saying more info would be left if the perp(s) were there for 25 mins which is the time amount if we go by the neighbor’s shot account.

He seems to deny that amount of time.

But how could he possibly know it is a few minutes?

Presuming the father was killed at the beginning, if his body was still very warm, blood hadn't started drying, that could indicate a few minutes vs half an hour. Or the smell of gun smoke hadn't dissipated, despite the open door. Maybe someone was heating a snack in the microwave and it was still hot. There could be any number of things.

Presuming the father was killed at the beginning, if his body was still very warm, blood hadn't started drying, that could indicate a few minutes vs half an hour. Or the smell of gun smoke hadn't dissipated, despite the open door. Maybe someone was heating a snack in the microwave and it was still hot. There could be any number of things.

Great points. Good post.

Still, it would have been easy enough for the sheriff to say that they have found nothing about any boyfriend, 19 or otherwise. Saying “no comment” can be inflammatory in some cases, jmo.
It does lead one to wonder... yet her family has said they would be surprised if she had a boyfriend. She seems very young and naive to me. If she did have a boyfriend, I find it hard to believe that she would have kept it from at least her good friends. Her parents, yes, but most girls like to talk about that kind of thing. Maybe there was a boy that she liked or who liked her, and LE has already ruled him out and just don't want to comment about it. I imagine if they revealed something like that there would be a lot of speculation and media asking all kinds of questions. Jmo

I had wondered the same. Still an idea, but at this point it is all speculation, isn't it? This case needs a break. Hoping it comes sooner rather than later. I have seen comments about this case being a cold one or soon to be cold and I just wanted to mention something I heard a detective say on a podcast I am listening to. Its the Amy Mihaljevic case from 1990. ( Great podcast, by the way). When asked about this case and other cold cases, the detective said that Amy's case has never been considered a cold case because it was never closed. It has always been worked; always had a detective working on it all these years. He defined a cold case as one that has met with dead ends and no longer has a detective assigned and actively working it. I think that LE defines a cold case differently from the general public and I wanted to throw that out there.

In listening to Amy's case it has brought up some interesting thoughts in regards to Jayme's case. While the perps' methods to obtain the girls were different, I wonder about any similarities that might exist between the cases as far as how the perps zero in on the victims. The perp in Amy's case did target her and appeared to have planned the crime out meticulously, which is interesting to me in the absence of any internet at the time. This perp actually accessed her at first by phone. I was just turning all of this over in my head due to the fact that I continue to go back to thoughts of some kind of electronic interaction between Jayme and her abductor, accidental, fraudulent or otherwise. While Amy's case has not been solved (her body was found weeks later) they do know quite a bit more about the perp/crime and I believe her case will be solved one day. Looking at the list of possible suspects and what kind of access they had to the victim, one includes a man who volunteered at a nature conservancy that the 10 year old attended regularly in which she signed the registry complete with phone number. Another is the sibling of a riding instructor. There is a longer list but you see where I am going. These are not things that we would automatically think of, and I am guilty of allowing the social media angle to dominate my thoughts. I hope they have gone through every receipt, every ticket stub and scrap of paper they can find in the Closs home that could shed light on even the most brief or incidental activity that could be a potential link.

My intent is not to derail this thread with another case; only to draw a comparison and bring out possible ways (other than the internet & social media) that a stranger could have come across a young girl and become fixated on her enough to want to commit such a horrible crime. Is there some random something that she signed up for but has now been forgotten? Some place she visited that maybe her extended family would not remember or know about? Is it possible that one or both parents would be the only people who could make that connection between the perp and the crime?

My hope is that Jayme's case will be solved by bringing her home alive. The clock is ticking, though.

Sorry so long with my Saturday morning thoughts.

Edited to add thoughts.

I have a friend who does not live in the US. His super wealthy grandparents were murdered in CA in the late sixties or early 70’s. I forget which now.

He was afraid his father had something to do with it. I got a hold of the police and a detective emailed me and told me the father was neverr considered a viable suspect. He said since the case was still open, he could give me no more info. Maybe because I am no one?

I hope this does not happen with Jayme’s case

Last edited:
Maybe the sheriff really was trying to discount the neighbors timeline without specifically saying so. Or maybe he was insenuating that it could be that whoever was inside the home was someone who frequents the house often (he went into great detail explaining the dna elimination process). Or maybe both. Maybe neither. Im also not ruling out of my own theory that soneone was already there and the "crime" aspect didnt happen until the last few minutes. He talks casually and openly (not rehearsed or careful with words), but imho hes playing this very smart by things he says, and things he doesnt say. And I feel like hes not just doing all these interviews for the media, or for the people, but i feel like hes possibly intentionally saying things for whoever did this to hear. As I believe the Aunt did. He maybe cannot guarantee anything just yet without proper proof or evidence, but I strongly feel he has a stronger working theory than he is able to discuss. Jmho.

He seemed very light and breezy in that interview.

He seemed very light and breezy in that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member