AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's a poor area but I am surprised yo see the kids aren't all supplied with chromebooks from the school. I don't know of a school around my area that doesn't give each kid a chromebook in 7 grade and they keep it for future years.

We are located in the exact opposite of a poor area and chromebooks are not issued here.

They have to assume that “help” means life or death. They have to assume a hang-up could have happened during an altercation. I just do not find any of this odd, and I thank a God that 911 and LE generally approach things as there being a potential for worst case scenario. No doubt, it saves lives.

Remember too, this is the midnight shift. Some nights it is really slow based on my DH's experience. So, in addition to officer safety, boredom could be the reason

I could not get my statement out of what I was trying to quote earlier, so I'm reposting

There are two reasons I can think of for a closed casket: First, morticians are picky. My brother was killed in an accident that damaged his right eye in a way that the mortician could not cover up, so he only allowed a single viewing by the immediate family, with damaged side covered with a cloth.

Secondly, the news of his gruesome accident (he was pulled into a large round hay baler and crushed) was very sensational in our small farming community, and the mortician said that if the public knew there would be an open casket at the funeral, strangers might attend out of morbid curiosity.

Thirdly, allowing the public see the location of any wounds, even if they weren't disfiguring, would have been revealing evidence in a still unsolved murder case.
I am very sorry about the loss of your brother, what an awful accident.

Ceremony Saturday to mark two months since Jayme Closs' disappearance
A community is still holding onto hope as Saturday marks two months since 13-year-old Jayme Closs went missing after her parents James and Denise Closs were murdered in their Barron home.

"I want nothing more than to get my granddaughter back home," says Jayme's grandfather, RN.

"I miss our breakfast dates, her smiles and giggles and especially her hugs," says RN.

"I'm hopeful that Jayme sees this and sees the community is behind her and that she is not alone and we are all with her in spirit and we will get her home safely," says JH, a friend of the Closs family.

On Saturday, her family was still begging for anyone with information to come forward.

"We're hoping one reaches somewhere and we get that one top that we need to bring her home," says SA, Jayme's aunt.

"That's what keeps us going day to day is this community behind us, this community has been amazing, so supportive in so many ways," says JS, Jayme's aunt.

I could not get my statement out of what I was trying to quote earlier, so I'm reposting

There are three reasons I can think of for a closed casket: First, morticians are picky. My brother was killed in an accident that damaged his right eye in a way that the mortician could not cover up, so he only allowed a single viewing by the immediate family, with damaged side covered with a cloth.

Secondly, the news of his gruesome accident (he was pulled into a large round hay baler and crushed) was very sensational in our small farming community, and the mortician said that if the public knew there would be an open casket at the funeral, strangers might attend out of morbid curiosity.

Thirdly, allowing the public see the location of any wounds, even if they weren't disfiguring, would have been revealing evidence in a still unsolved murder case.
Having an open casket at the funeral, or the 'viewings' 'family visitations', or whatever, is a completely separate thing from allowing immediate family members to view the body and say goodbye. Obviously DC's dad wanted to have that opportunity, but he was denied; I would hope they wouldn't have an open casket for people other than immediate fam. Sorry to hear about your brother. :(

Something I can’t seem to wrap my head around, in regards to the type of person that did this. When I read about it, it seems targeted and pre-planed by someone local. However, why would that type leave the neighbors waking up to gunfire and NOT calling the police up to chance? Homemade suppressors are cheap and easy enough. That sounds like random/target of opportunity. I know it happens, dumb luck, but there is more in this case that would have to be attributed to it than I can believe. I guess I’m choosing to believe someone made a mistake as opposed to luck for now.

I did have the idea of a suppressor that failed. I think I read on this forum that the neighbors said the second shot was noticeably louder. First shot is fine, second shot splits the can, third it completely fails...but that would leave a lot of evidence. That as far as I know doesn’t exist.

We are located in the exact opposite of a poor area and chromebooks are not issued here.
I'm not in the USA, however, aren't the schools there funded publicly? I know that here, schools can barely afford paper and pens any more, it's ridiculous. Funded by taxpayers, I'm pretty sure there would be an uproar if all students were issued chromebooks. But happy to hear about differences.

If perp(s) went only 5ft into home...how does the chair with the ties being carried out factor into the crime? Were the ties on the chair just from a chair cushion?

I am only speculating here, but a recent article I read indicated the phone used to dial 911 was found in the doorway of a hallway near a bathroom - which may lend some credence to the notion that someone may have tried to barricade themselves in the bathroom using the door? Perhaps perp shot at the door and hit the chair as a warning to someone behind the door that they better come to him?

Having an open casket at the funeral, or the 'viewings' 'family visitations', or whatever, is a completely separate thing from allowing immediate family members to view the body and say goodbye. Obviously DC's dad wanted to have that opportunity, but he was denied; I would hope they wouldn't have an open casket for people other than immediate fam. Sorry to hear about your brother. :(

So who makes the final call about what is seen at the "viewing" of a body? The funeral director / staff? I'm asking because frankly, if I am paying them for a service, and I want it done a particular way, that is how it is going down, or I'd find another service provider who could accommodate my requests. Is it possible that LE decided that the casket would be closed and advised the family accordingly? Also, in a case such as this, where evidence is important, who prepares the body for funeral (especially if the casket will be closed)? Does the ME just ensure the proper steps are taken before releasing the body to the funeral home? Did the funeral home staff ever see either body? I'm doubting that they did. Infact, I'm still not entirely convinced the funeral actually included the bodies - maybe it just was put on by LE to see who attended, and who did not?

There are three reasons I can think of for a closed casket: First, morticians are picky. My brother was killed in an accident that damaged his right eye in a way that the mortician could not cover up, so he only allowed a single viewing by the immediate family, with damaged side covered with a cloth.

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. My heart breaks for you.

It reminds me of another tragic freak accident. My boss at the time had a wonderful foreman that worked on one of his farms.

He had been with him over 20 years and they thought of him like family including his wife and children.

One day he didnt come back home at the end of the day. Something had caught up in the hay baler and he tried to get it out and his arm was pulled in all the way.

He died from massive blood loss when it shredded his arm. They saw where he had tried to amputate his own arm trying to free himself but was unsuccessful.

He had massive head injuries when his arm was pulled into the baler and slammed his head against the frame.

I have known many funeral directors tell families a closed casket was best. Sometimes remembering loved ones as they were when vibrant and alive is far better than seeing what had happened to them that ended their life.

Again I am so sorry for your tragic loss. I have a brother whom I love dearly. I cant imagine the pain you must feel no longer having your brother in your life.

Jmo

So who makes the final call about what is seen at the "viewing" of a body? The funeral director / staff? I'm asking because frankly, if I am paying them for a service, and I want it done a particular way, that is how it is going down, or I'd find another service provider who could accommodate my requests. Is it possible that LE decided that the casket would be closed and advised the family accordingly? Also, in a case such as this, where evidence is important, who prepares the body for funeral (especially if the casket will be closed)? Does the ME just ensure the proper steps are taken before releasing the body to the funeral home? Did the funeral home staff ever see either body? I'm doubting that they did. Infact, I'm still not entirely convinced the funeral actually included the bodies - maybe it just was put on by LE to see who attended, and who did not?
It's gotta be case by case decisions by the funeral director. I imagine there are many variables in each situation. My husbands father committed suicide with a shotgun to the head-not great to say the least.... They were still given the option of a family viewing, and I believe would've done a public viewing had we insisted (we didn't). The funeral director was very clear though that it wouldn't be great, and I can tell he didn't think it was the best idea but they still had the private family viewing. He repeatedly cautioned that there was only so much they could do. I imagine if you push hard enough, you can do whatever you want-you are paying for the service after all.
However, I am sure an active criminal investigation would impose more non-negotiable regulations on it.

Loved ones of missing 13-year-old Wisconsin girl hold onto hope she will be found
Loved ones and friends of 13-year-old Jayme Closs released balloons at a weekend vigil and reaffirmed their pledge to find her alive, marking two months since police believe she was abducted from her Wisconsin home where they found her parents shot to death.

closs-1-abc-er-181216_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

WQOW The grandfather of Jayme Closs, Robert Naiberg, speaks during a balloon release, Dec. 15, 2018, in Barron

"I wish every day that whoever has you would just let you go or drop you off somewhere safe so I could pick you up," RN, 72, told the crowd, reading from a prepared statement.

The group released 200 green and blue balloons into a clear and chilly Wisconsin sky to let the community know the search for Jayme will not end.

"I need my sweet granddaughter Jayme back," RN said.

Songbird, I think you are definitely onto something I would not have thought of. This pertains to another post I read too. I bet other than the coroner and LE no one else saw the bodies. I was thinking it was because of the physical damage but I think now it was more about the integrity of the case and having limited people know where on their person they were shot, how many times and with type of weapon used. I believe all of these things would/could be recognized if DC and JC were allowed to be shown. I would bet the funeral director didn't see them either.

For those asking, I live in Wisconsin. I have one child in a private parochial elementary and one child in public middle school. They were both issued Chromebooks. We are not in a poor area. It is just standard procedure here. They will return them at the end of the end of the school year.

For those asking, I live in Wisconsin. I have one child in a private parochial elementary and one child in public middle school. They were both issued Chromebooks. We are not in a poor area. It is just standard procedure here. They will return them at the end of the end of the school year.
That seems so bizarre... what if the child's toddler brother gets hold of it and breaks it.. then the family, who may not be able to afford it, would have to replace it.
I can see having computers in the school for all kids to learn on and to use, but.. just seems like such a large expense for public schools to expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for.
Not saying it isn't true, obviously it is true.. but still seems odd. And then to think that all schools aren't the same, adds another factor.. aren't all the schools supposed to have the same learning opportunities? jmo.

Are they allowed to bring the notebooks home?

Thank you for your expert knowledge. I'm no expert by any means but I have shot both all types of long guns and various handguns. I was given my first .22 rifle when I was 11 years old.

Imo the perp did not use a shotgun but used a handgun instead.

I know some seem to think a shotgun had to be used but as you clearly state 90 percent of all homicides by firearm handguns were used. It may even be higher than 90 percent.

A handgun has been used countless times and many of the victims were killed instantly.

So it leaves me puzzled as to why some seem to think handguns cant kill victims instantly because they have thousands of times?

Being a CPA, I love numbers and statistics. 90% is almost right on the money if you look at the 2017 FBI statistics:

Table 20

Downloading the spreadsheet and subtracting the number of murders where the firearm is unknown (3283) from the total murders by firearm murders (10982) to arrive at the number of firearm murders where the type of firearm is known (7699). Comparing that number to total handgun murders and it is 91.34%. The percentage of murders by shotgun is 3.43%. If my quick and dirty calculation is correct.

Using an older set of FBI data (2013) the percentage of handgun murders is 90.7% and for a shotgun is 4.8%.

I still lean toward a shotgun being used, but if you look at the odds only it would seem to indicate a handgun.

That seems so bizarre... what if the child's toddler brother gets hold of it and breaks it.. then the family, who may not be able to afford it, would have to replace it.
I can see having computers in the school for all kids to learn on and to use, but.. just seems like such a large expense for public schools to expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for.
Not saying it isn't true, obviously it is true.. but still seems odd. And then to think that all schools aren't the same, adds another factor.. aren't all the schools supposed to have the same learning opportunities? jmo.
Many of the classes here are offered online. They are often for extra credit. Teachers also have additional learning resources for students that are offered online. This has been pretty common for many years.
One of my grandchildren who is a senior will graduate with three college class credits he took online while still in high school. It isn't bizarre at all. In fact I find it bizare that it isn't the same in your country.
I can't quote figures, but no students are deprived or discriminated against because the school is in a lessor economic bracket. These devices are provided to the schools at a very reduced rate. Think of them as an electronic textbook only offering so much more to the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bubbles—