AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My first post. This was a rural area, correct? How did the police arrive in 4 minutes? I'm also wondering how Jayme could not be located within the immediate area if she made the 911 call, she only had a 4 minute time span to disappear into thin air? The police confirmed that the 911 call came from the residence. The police also have possession of the phone but have not stated where they recovered it from. I'd like to know when the police actually started their search for Jayme and/or the perp?

Welcome to Websleuths, Memphis Bluez!!!
We are glad you have joined us Websleuthers.

It has been stated the Dad was shot in the doorway. In the PC yesterday (10 17 18) it was stated the door was shot in. I'm trying to reconcile these two statements. ???
Just to clarify, the sheriff did not say the door had been shot in. When asked about forced entry and locks being shot out, he refused to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

So we don’t know whether the door was shot in or not.

Also, I believe (not 100% positive) that the Dad was found near/at the doorway. If so, he may or may not have been shot there.

Either the sheriff needs to tell the public the type of gun that was used or keep it moving with this secret investigation they are doing. Jmo.

Because there could be more leads if they let the public know the type of gun.

This way locals or pawn shops or whomever can possibly tell them if that type of gun was either stolen from them or previously bought from a pawn shop or something. Jmo

Barron County, WI » WG Xtreme
very isolated - this is from the tax assessor's site but no square footage of the actual home.
View attachment 151798

Great find. Looks like these aerial shots would have been sometime in the colder season, since it seems there aren't any leaves on the trees, IMO. I think this is helpful in getting a better view of the terrain.

Property-Aerial.png Barron-County-Parcel.png

From the view, I can see what looks like a railroad as others have mentioned, and just below the railroad seems to be a clearing that runs parallel, and opens up on both sides to some fields. Power lines perhaps?
Property-Aerial-2.png

Jmo

Perhaps other shots wouldnt be heard in a well insulated enclosed home. But from what we have heard iirc the home may have been breeched with the shattering of glass on the front door.

If that is the case her daddy could have been shot through door at that time killing him instantly. Nothing would be able to protect him from the high velocity bullet.

If that happened then sounds would no longer be confined within the home as it would be breeched and no longer fully enclosed.

And two shots were heard. I think the first may have been outside fatally striking her father and the other shot was heard from inside the home whe he came in killing her mother.

If the chair has relevance that was seen being brought out he could have quickly bound Jayme to that chair in order to control the situation. Later after casing the house out to make sure they were only 3 inside he may have untied her telling her to go pack clothes and if she didn't do as he demanded he would kill her too.

Jmo though.

Thank you for mentioning the chair....I was beginning to think I was the only who saw that picture. Seeing that chair made me think they had been in there for a while.

Just to clarify, the sheriff did not say the door had been shot in. When asked about forced entry and locks being shot out, he refused to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

So we don’t know whether the door was shot in or not.

Also, I believe (not 100% positive) that the Dad was found near/at the doorway. If so, he may or may not have been shot there.

Also the neighbors were awake, not sleeping. So if they only heard 2 shots then how did the door get shot open if there are 2 dead due to gunshot wounds? Someone elsewhere mentioned a silencer but then why not use that for the whole thing? These homes aren't soundproof enough to muffle the sounds of gunshots inside. Especially in this area where there is no noise pollution.

Good morning, WS. I have a long way to catch up, so I wanted to mention this before I forget. There is one case that I remember that resembles this one with murder plus kidnapping, and there was a show about it on ID years ago. The murderer was Matthew Hoffman, a crazy neighbor, in Ohio. He was obsessed with trees, and his 13 year old neighbor girl. In November 2010, he murdered the mom, Tina Herrmann 32, her son Kody Maynard 11, and her friend Stephanie Sprang 41, and hid their bodies in a hollow tree in the woods. The family home was a bloodbath. He kidnapped Herrmann's 13 year old daughter and held her for rape for 4 days, bound and gagged in a basement. She survived.

Matthew Hoffman | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Thank you, SandyQLS. What I find notable about this case, is that surprisingly, the murderer's initial intention was to burglarize the home. I think the majority here have ruled out burglary as a motive, but here we have it...
MOO

Yes it must be larger based on the property taxes - this house is Tax Amount: $2,467 and their home is around $1800 IIRC (from the link originally posted with their home address). I just wondered since they are both on an acre or so, did their home have a basement since this one did.

You can see basement windows in the pic of their house.

To me, the ones in front are not egress but perhaps in the back so there could be a bedroom?

We keep assuming there were only two shots and that those were the killing shots. However, IF there's any truth to the door being shot out, those could have come from outside when they first entered and have been the only ones the neighbors heard. I think I would hear shots outside my neighbors' front door, but probably not any from inside their house if I am inside mine.

Bottom line is that we don't know for certain that there were only two shots, or that the killing shots happened at 12:31.

Exactly. Some people seem to be assuming only one gun and two shots. Shouldn't assume either of these things. Couple shotgun blasts to the door. (The two heard by the neighbor.) Then a handgun used to threaten/kill the people inside. And handguns (depending on which one) can be much quieter plus these shots likely would have been inside the house which explains why the neighbor didn't report hearing them.

I have been reading and following this case from the beginning and the one thing that seems to stump me is the time of the gun shots. Does any one else think it is possible that with the wife have being asleep when she heard them and looked at the clock that it could have been 12:51 instead of 12:31? Unfocused, sleepy eyes could mistake the 3 and the 5. That would make more sense to me then the perp being in the home for 30 minutes.

I don’t think she was asleep

Also the neighbors were awake, not sleeping. So if they only heard 2 shots then how did the door get shot open if there are 2 dead due to gunshot wounds? Someone elsewhere mentioned a silencer but then why not use that for the whole thing? These homes aren't soundproof enough to muffle the sounds of gunshots inside. Especially in this area where there is no noise pollution.
Worth pointing out: you can’t just go up to a locked door, shoot it, and expect it to just spring open. That’s only in the movies, it doesn’t work like that in real life.

Certainly a possibility. However, this house is small with likely a main living area where the father was shot, two bedrooms and a bathroom. Jaymes room would have two hiding spots, under the bed or in the closet. With the gunplay done by 12:31, he should have found her by 12:35 and been gone shortly after. I have entertained the idea that she may have crawled out the window and that he may have tracked her down, but it would make no sense to take her back in to the house. Just throw her in the vehicle and leave.
Another area to consider... At her age she may have carved out a hang out place or bedroom in the basement if the house is proved to have one. Maybe she tried to call 911 earlier but the walls blocked the signal. If there was no door to the outside, it would have prevented her from getting out during the commotion.

Speculation as no proof has been offered that this house has a basement. Could explain the delay between the shooting and the call.

The sheriff confirming that Jayme was home at the time based on evidence could have been as simple as a cold 1/2 drank coke in a lit room with xbox playing or an open math book indicating homework being done. They know a kid lives there and now they can't find her. Finding and protecting her is the number 1 priority.

JMO

Perhaps Jayme did not make the call.

Sorry, this was in reply to #310. I messed up.
That was my thought. According to reports from police the call was made from the home. The phone could have been found elsewhere. I just can't imagine the complete disappearance in 4 minutes very puzzling

I guess the parents or one of them could have survived for awhile after being shot.
There has to be a reason the shots were heard around 12:30 and LE called closer to 1:00.
It seems so odd to me that the perp(s) would shoot people and stick around for this long. What was going on? To my knowledge this wasn't a robbery gone bad but 2 murders and a taking of Jayme. We know there were no guns found at the scene. Did Jayme's family own guns and if so were they taken? So many unknowns at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho