Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, we don't know where she was from noon until ten o'clock pm on Saturday. I was speculating that the Gurnee Mills Mall was not out of her way in any sense of the word, she loved to shop for her grandchildren and since it was on the way and she had the time built into her trip perhaps she had stopped there. It also satisfied me as to how that particularly obscure driveway at the big intersection only a few miles from the mall would be a final destination.
When the perp in the article said he had done it before and knew how to do it to cover a crime, it just clicked with me. And, I wondered if LE was looking into any connection.
Nothing more, nothing less.
MOO MOO MOO MOO
I agree with you. I think it very possible she was at Gurnee Mills Mall which is west of I-94.

Good point about the NW Indiana murders. Here's a timeline and hopefully LE is investigating any connection. The NW Indiana killer is a 17-yo and the murders were brutal. He was planning on going back and picking up the burned car with a uhaul and dumping it into the Mississippi River which is several hours west.

From alleged drug deal to bodies in burned-out car: Timeline of events leading to Valparaiso teen's murder arrest

Google Maps
She could have come down the highway and got off on the exit beside the mall with every intent of getting right back on the highway to finish her trip which would have been easy for her. Instead, she was abducted and take the short distance down Skoakie School Rd. and across the intersection and up the driveway.

Google Maps
She could have come down the highway and got off on the exit beside the mall with every intent of getting right back on the highway to finish her trip which would have been easy for her. Instead, she was abducted and take the short distance down Skoakie School Rd. and across the intersection and up the driveway.

Stearns School Rd. She could have gotten to the mall more quickly by just staying on 94 and exiting at Grand Ave., route 132. That exit is just east of the mall. Getting off on 41 makes no sense if going there. More stop lights, slower travel, and a longer distance.

I goofed !! I meant Stearns School Rd. Thank you.
I think she came down Interstate 94, got off at the interchange beside the mall, was abducted and the driver took her out the back way and turned right down Stearns School Road across the intersection and up the driveway.
I think she would have completed her trip down 94 if she had not been abducted.

Last edited:
Two things I have no answers for though are;
How did the driver make his way back to his car at the mall? Walk back up Stearns School Rd? Possible.
She would have had to leave the mall by 4 o'clock to make the 4:30 game 12 miles away. So, what happened for the next six hours, until 10 o'clock when the car was found? Could it have taken that long for the fire to smolder before it burned so hot?

Two things I have no answers for though are;
How did the driver make his way back to his car at the mall? Walk back up Stearns School Rd? Possible.
She would have had to leave the mall by 4 o'clock to make the 4:30 game 12 miles away. So, what happened for the next six hours, until 10 o'clock when the car was found? Could it have taken that long for the fire to smolder before it burned so hot?

The car was found in the private driveway of a residence. The owners refused to be interviewed. I would like to know if they were home that day and the last time they used that driveway. Having said that, I rather doubt that the car was sitting in the driveway for over five hours. I think the car was taken there just prior to lighting it on fire. Where it was prior, the big questionl.

Google Maps

Where did you find out she was abducted? I didn't see any news releases from the police about that.

I read that in the radio interview ZR said Kathleen had already purchased gifts prior to departing home.

What need would Kathleen have had to go shopping at the mall if she already had gifts? I doubt she would have traveled out of her way to go to a strange mall, when she didn't like traveling in the first place. If she was going shopping she would have most likely done that in an area familiar to her.

JMO
She left at noon and didn't have to be at the game until 4:30 so that tells me she had planned to do something along the way and I say as a woman it was shopping!

She left at noon and didn't have to be at the game until 4:30 so that tells me she had planned to do something along the way and I say as a woman it was shopping!
BBM

It's been reported that she was last seen leaving her home at noon. I have not seen it reported anywhere that it's been established that she set out for Illinois at noon. Do you have a link to MSM that reports that she did? She could have gone any number of other places for any number of reasons between noon and when she needed to head to Illinois. MOO.
What leads you to believe she planned to spend 3+ hours at Gurnsee Mills? If she had spent that amount of time shopping or dining there, I'd think there would be electronic evidence in some form--debit card / CC transactions or CCT surveillance video. There might even be eyewitnesses; she could have hit a lot of places in the mall in three hours. MOO.

BBM

It's been reported that she was last seen leaving her home at noon. I have not seen it reported anywhere that it's been established that she set out for Illinois at noon. Do you have a link to MSM that reports that she did? She could have gone any number of other places for any number of reasons between noon and when she needed to head to Illinois. MOO.
What leads you to believe she planned to spend 3+ hours at Gurnsee Mills? If she had spent that amount of time shopping or dining there, I'd think there would be electronic evidence in some form--debit card / CC transactions or CCT surveillance video. There might even be eyewitnesses; she could have hit a lot of places in the mall in three hours. MOO.
No, it hasn't been established that KR set out for IL at noon.
<modsnip - bickering>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find out she was abducted? I didn't see any news releases from the police about that.
In an attempt to keep her disappearance front page here and also in the vacuum of information from LE, I had suggested an alternative but possible circumstance. Summarized in #919.
Her son ZR stated that she had her GPS and her usual route was the Interstate 94. LE has clearly said that they had a lot more electronic surveillance to go through. That could possibly be from the mall and surrounding street cameras.
All of this is MOO MOO MOO nothing more, nothing less

The various theories we have flushed out are just that, theories. We have members convinced that Kathleen committed suicide and members who lean toward abduction, carjacking, planned “hit” etc.

What we know as fact about the day of Kathleen’s disappearance:
- She last spoke / face timed family members the morning of February 2nd
- Her plan was to attend an Illinois high school basketball match at 4:30PM, meet-up with family.
- The drive from S. Milwaukee to the Illinois match was approximately 1.5 hours (give/take)
- She was last seen leaving her home at 12Noon on February 2nd.
- She last used her credit cards in the Milwaukee area (near her home)
- Her husband was a sports referee that day in the Milwaukee area
- Her body was identified in a burning car that was found at Stearns School Rd and Hwy 41, near the Gurnee Mills mall (Illinois) at approx 10PM on February 2nd.
- The location of Kathleen’s vehicle was not on her regular route to visit family in Illinois.
- We cannot account for approximately 10 hours of activity that day.

I have questions . . .
- What were the purchases made by Kathleen and her husband one month prior to her death?
- Had Kathleen visited a doctor / had follow-up (routine) cancer screening in the past 90 days?
- Did she have (or anyone take out) a life insurance policy (on her)? If so, when was it written?
- What is her husband’s occupation?
- Where was her husband refereeing that day? Could she have stopped there?
- Regarding Kathleen’s burned vehicle location, when did the property owners last use their driveway?
- When is the last time that Kathleen’s vehicle was serviced? Had there been any issues with it?
- Who reported the car fire to 911?
- Which Milwaukee-area PD is pursuing the WI side of the investigation?

What questions do you folks have? (Forensic experts, would love to hear yours!)

The various theories we have flushed out are just that, theories. We have members convinced that Kathleen committed suicide and members who lean toward abduction, carjacking, planned “hit” etc.

- Her plan was to attend an Illinois high school basketball match at 4:30PM, meet-up with family.
- The drive from S. Milwaukee to the Illinois match was approximately 1.5 hours (give/take)
- Her husband was a sport....... Truncated
Add the fact that her body was, according to the coroner, almost completely cremated. He had to sift through the ash to find traces of bones or teeth to determine sex and identity. That is a very hot, very long fire.

- Her husband was a sports referee that day in the Milwaukee area
- Her body was identified in a burning car that was found at Stearns School Rd and Hwy 41, near the Gurnee Mills mall (Illinois) at approx 10PM on February 2nd.
- The location of Kathleen’s vehicle was not on her regular route to visit family in Illinois.
- We cannot account for approximately 10 hours of activity that day.

I have questions . . .
- What were the purchases made by Kathleen and her husband one month prior to her death?
- Had Kathleen visited a doctor / had follow-up (routine) cancer screening in the past 90 days?
- Did she have (or anyone take out) a life insurance policy (on her)? If so, when was it written?
- What is her husband’s occupation?
- Where was her husband refereeing that day? Could she have stopped there?
- Regarding Kathleen’s burned vehicle location, when did the property owners last use their driveway?
- When is the last time that Kathleen’s vehicle was serviced? Had there been any issues with it?
- Who reported the car fire to 911?
- Which Milwaukee-area PD is pursuing the WI side of the investigation?

What questions do you folks have? (Forensic experts, would love to hear yours!)

Great summary and questions! One more (may have been answered by other posters already, sorry if repetitive):
1. Did Kathleen and her husband live in the same house?

Also, someone posted earlier that the owners of the driveway where her car was found refused to be interviewed? Interviewed by whom - LE, or the media? Is there a MSM link? It's much less suspicious if they meant refused to be interviewed by a reporter - easily understandable - they were likely very very upset, and then the whole online sleuths/social media thing. However, if they wouldn't talk to LE, that's a whole different story.

And what says LE?

"'There is nothing that has brought us to any conclusion that somebody did this to Kathleen,' said Lake County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Sgt. Christopher Covelli. 'We don't have any evidence somebody caused this to happen to Kathleen.'"

Caveat:

"But their investigation is far from over."

Sons ask for answers in Milwaukee mother's mysterious death

Great summary and questions! One more (may have been answered by other posters already, sorry if repetitive):
1. Did Kathleen and her husband live in the same house?

Also, someone posted earlier that the owners of the driveway where her car was found refused to be interviewed? Interviewed by whom - LE, or the media? Is there a MSM link? It's much less suspicious if they meant refused to be interviewed by a reporter - easily understandable - they were likely very very upset, and then the whole online sleuths/social media thing. However, if they wouldn't talk to LE, that's a whole different story.

Great questions- re: their living arrangements- unsure. Property owners refused to speak to media - Body found in vehicle identified as that of missing Milwaukee teacher

(I think this may be my first post. I've lurked for a while and read the rules. Hoping all goes well for post number one. Hi!)

I've gone through a bunch of this thread and perhaps someone can help me understand why people/LE think it was suicide? Clearly a "newbie-sleuth-er" here... I'm just trying to put the pieces together in a logical way.

Her friends and family seem to believe that it wasn't. Also... has anyone ever heard of suicide by fire before? I mean, I'm sure it has happened before, but as someone who has suffered from depression and had suicidal thoughts (in the past), I can definitely say "fire" was not my first thought of how to end it (or any thought, honestly). Not to mention that statistically when women commit suicide they usually use non-violent means and I would generally categorize fire as a more violent way to go. Plus, why pull into a random person's driveway to do it?

I keep seeing that quote from LE stating 'There is nothing that has brought us to any conclusion that somebody did this to Kathleen,' .... is this the most up-to-date information we have from LE? Do you guys take this to suggest they think she committed suicide as well or simply "we don't have any evidence"...

MOO

(I think this may be my first post. I've lurked for a while and read the rules. Hoping all goes well for post number one. Hi!)

I've gone through a bunch of this thread and perhaps someone can help me understand why people/LE think it was suicide? Clearly a "newbie-sleuth-er" here... I'm just trying to put the pieces together in a logical way.

Her friends and family seem to believe that it wasn't. Also... has anyone ever heard of suicide by fire before? I mean, I'm sure it has happened before, but as someone who has suffered from depression and had suicidal thoughts (in the past), I can definitely say "fire" was not my first thought of how to end it (or any thought, honestly). Not to mention that statistically when women commit suicide they usually use non-violent means and I would generally categorize fire as a more violent way to go. Plus, why pull into a random person's driveway to do it?

I keep seeing that quote from LE stating 'There is nothing that has brought us to any conclusion that somebody did this to Kathleen,' .... is this the most up-to-date information we have from LE? Do you guys take this to suggest they think she committed suicide as well or simply "we don't have any evidence"...

MOO

While I am leaning toward suicide- I do NOT think it was suicide by fire. More likely scenario to me anyway is intentional OD while sitting in the passenger seat, final cigarette smoldered and then started fire after she was unconscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist