WI WI - Kelly Nolan, 22, Madison, 23 June 2007 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of the new posters should take a look at the hundreds of threads dedicated to the missing here to see what information is uncovered, from looking at sex offender registeries, myspace, online postings of those who went missing and those around them, photobucket accounts, flicker and the like. Many of us have joined searches for people in our areas and called in tips or hunches in others. Many family members of other missing are members here and garner support and contribute to other familys plight as well. Before you judge the community based on Kelly Nolan and in your first post look around.

I also think that most of what has been released in this case has been less than typical.

If Paris Hilton can drive drunk on a suspended license so can Kelly Nolan. Could she have gotten a hold of a car and headed somewhere and be in a ravine? Yet some media source dug up Kelly's past, it was not information that was deemed not revelent by some.

We have a reward, amount not stated, and parameters not stated. Is the reward for information, safe return or something else. Is the amount the original $1k or some other non associated amount.

If she never went to her apartment and there is no activity on the cell or credit cards after a certain time on the 23rd, then Madison and someone she interacted with is key to this. Sadly this scenario, girl out with friends then alone, then goes missing, is a fairly common story on websleuths.

It is probably time for a seperate discussion thread where speculation and opinion is welcomed and encouraged.

So, why is it that you feel "public knowledge" (gained through a generalized media quote with a sensational headline no less) of the same lead(s) professional investigators are already following is beneficial to finding Kelly? If anything, all of the amateur "sleuthing" & hypothesis would hinder, not help, the investigation of any particular lead. We do gather all the media links together in one place to try to piece together timing and events, which differ at times from news reporter to reporter, as well as officer to officer. Often, we will find comments by people or ideas left untapped by LE, we have people living in the community which take the time to go out to hit the streets...actively hand out flyers, put up signs, support the families, and we do research on specific areas then take on organized searches. Please tell me which could hinder police in a search to find a young girl and why the family wouldn't welcome such help?

If everyone who is so focused on the contents of that call took the intensity being placed on that phone call and applied it to any hunch you may be getting from having to "read between the lines" as Webslueth(ers)...you may actually find that missing piece of the puzzle that nobody has thought of instead of feeding your deep desire to re-examine "evidence" that has already been investigated professionally (and subsequently connected with any other leads the "public" doesn't have) "first-hand" less than two weeks ago. That's cold-case thinking, IMO. This case will quickly become a "cold case", IMO. When you call a press conference only to withdraw/withold information openly, you will find people shy away from wanting to submit information who might have actual knowledge of her whereabouts because the case sounds 'troubled'. They do not want to be involved in another Wilbanks' fiasco.

The truth is...LE (Law Enforcement) have missed leads found by reporters or others on many cases. If LE misleads the public by stating the person went missing from Xbar instead of the reality of the situation and JoeBlow saw this person being put into a car at Ybar during the same time...JoeBlow will not associate nor report it. This is the importance of LE being open with the public when they do ask for assistance. It stated in one article the call to her sister told of her specific location. Doesn't this mean LE is holding that information back? This is the problem I see as hindering the professional investigation being conducted in this case.

I doubt you, or any member of the public, would have much more success with the same information at this point...again, which is why people go public - to get new/more information to fill in the blanks - not for Joe Public to solve it for them. John Q. Public IS the answer to solving many missing person cases. Please ask the parents of any missing child brought home alive by people willing to call police because they suspected their neighbor, their family member, or friend. The reason LE goes public is normally to gain information to have the case solved for them. Without specific information, they have nothing.

The reason the girl in this case is still missing COULD be the lack of forthcoming information from LE and the family. People cannot give them leads on places or people without specifics of what and where they are supposed to recall events surrounding the disappearance.

If you just look at the people you see every day, everywhere you go (others pumping gas, at the store, whatever) and see if any match Kelly, you've just done more that most people will. It can be that simple. It CAN be that simple. It can be as simple as one of us figuring out the person one reporter talked to is a person last seen in the company of another missing child/person, too.

I am very certain, you aren't aware of the people out in public waiting to prey on other people as keenly as this group. We see it daily here. We talk to the parents of those missing, we follow stories nationwide in case one can tie into another, and we network to help bring the missing home in any way we can. Our think tanks garner many more hours than LE task forces.

I don't really mean to be rude, but really felt the need to say this.
I feel you aren't giving us the credit we are due. If you ever find yourself in such a situation where your loved one could use all the help they could get...you should be glad there are people like us willing to go to any distance to look beyond what LE and the media do.

I apologize for calling you rude and disrespectful. K~

So what do we actually have here? A young woman possibly drunk needing a ride home?

The family of Kelly Nolan announced a 10-thousand dollar reward for information that leads police to her whereabouts.

It was two week ago on Saturday the UW Whitewater student went missing.
She was last seen near the Lava Lounge on west Gilman at bar time on the morning of Saturday, June 23Rd.
Since her disappearance her family has put up flyers all around the area.
Mary Jane Nolan read from a prepared statement this afternoon. She explained a friend of the family donated 5-thousand dollars and another five thousand dollars came from a California missing persons foundation. The family did not answer any questions.

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=13022

Seems like if more info about who, what, where, and why earlier on and witnesses had come forwarded like they have now, all the tapes from other bars wouldn't have been overwritten by the time LE knew they needed them.

Remember the first press this got was Thursday June 28th.

Family Offers Reward in Case of Missing UW-Whitewater Student

MADISON - The family of a missing UW-Whitewater student announced a total of $10,000 in reward money for her safe return. The money comes in the form of two $5,000 reward funds.

The reward has several conditions. It will go to anyone who provides "for information resulting in the safe return of Kelly Nolan or the arrest and conviction of a perpetrator involved in a vilent crime or homicide," said Kelly's mother, Mary Jane Nolan.

I feel you aren't giving us the credit we are due and you are being rude plus disrespectful. Trust me, if you ever find yourself in such a situation where your loved one could use all the help they could get...you should be glad there are people like us willing to go to any distance to look beyond what LE and the media do.

I am very glad there are people like you willing to go any distance to look beyond what LE & the media do...but focusing on a cell phone call that the police already know about is not going beyond...and I do know.

I am being disrespectful (?)...but making a post to "prove" the sister of a victim did not specifically say something is not? Especially when that poster is wrong? I am disrespectful for pointing out to a poster that blanketing the state is not a "waste of resources" despite what the police may believe? Please. Do your research...you don't even need to go beyond this thread. Where were you then? Agreeing. I did not disrespect anyone looking for new leads...I simply pointed out another point of view. If you take offense, so be it.

I am very glad there are people like you willing to go any distance to look beyond what LE & the media do...but focusing on a cell phone call that the police already know about is not going beyond...and I do know. My brother went "missing" for over 8 years.

I am being disrespectful (?)...but making a post to "prove" the sister of a victim did not specifically say something is not? Especially when that poster is wrong? Where were you then? Agreeing. I did not disrespect anyone looking for new leads...I simply pointed out another point of view. If you take offense, so be it.

I agree to much is being made of the phone call. I have said the sister is probably trying to focus on the fact her sister is missing. However, by protecting her sisters integrity she may be inadvertently causing the case to be held back. With that being said no matter what we type on here the sister is not going to come forward with the information she learned from the phone call. I do feel she (the sister) may be making a mistake by doing so, but I feel that too much thought is being put on the importance/relevance of the contents of phone call, considering we don't know them. However, with no other new information at least the phone call debate is keeping the case and thread active which is what is needed if she is going to be found. That being said some here just seem to be doing/saying what they feel, but no one should be cool with anyone else being offended by their posts. I thought the point was to find clues and holes in the stories of perps not to find fault with everyone else's posts. But that's just my thought on it. No one makes anyone read WS if you don't like the posts don't read them.

I am very glad there are people like you willing to go any distance to look beyond what LE & the media do...but focusing on a cell phone call that the police already know about is not going beyond...and I do know.

I am being disrespectful (?)...but making a post to "prove" the sister of a victim did not specifically say something is not? Especially when that poster is wrong? I am disrespectful for pointing out to a poster that blanketing the state is not a "waste of resources" despite what the police may believe? Please. Do your research...you don't even need to go beyond this thread. Where were you then? Agreeing. I did not disrespect anyone looking for new leads...I simply pointed out another point of view. If you take offense, so be it.

I take offense to the entire tone of your posts thus far. You're new here, which is great. But it's exactly like Absolut said:

Absolut: "I think some of the new posters should take a look at the hundreds of threads dedicated to the missing here to see what information is uncovered, from looking at sex offender registeries, myspace, online postings of those who went missing and those around them, photobucket accounts, flicker and the like. Many of us have joined searches for people in our areas and called in tips or hunches in others. Many family members of other missing are members here and garner support and contribute to other familys plight as well. Before you judge the community based on Kelly Nolan and in your first post look around. "

In order for you to really understand what I'm trying to tell you, it might be of some benefit to you to look through some of the 'missing' threads and see what people like me and many, many others actually DO here on this website. The reasons that the content of that particular call could be very relevant are too numerous to list. The most important one though, is that we do not know exactly where she last was when she went missing. That's the first place for people to start. Without that key clue, it seems like we're missing the "go" button.

Thanks for the link Jimnikki. New information is coming out.... From the article:

http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2007/07/08/ap-state-wi/d8q87em84.txt
The money has been donated by two sources. The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation, a California group that helps find missing persons, is offering $5,000, and a corporation with ties to the family is offering the other $5,000 anonymously, the mother said.

Also on Saturday, a Madison cafe owner said an employee reported seeing Nolan early on June 23, the morning she was last seen. The employee walked Nolan toward her home until they ran into another man who said he knew Nolan, according to Tom Paras, the owner of Amy's Cafe.

The employee left Nolan with the other man. Two days later, when he learned of Nolan's disappearance, the employee called police with the information, Paras said.

So now we have a man who left her in the care of someone who claimed to be her friend (apparently) around bar time on Saturday. I really hope police know who this "friend" is...:(

ETA: So now she was last seen at Amy's Cafe on West Gilman St.

mssheila...I don't have a beef with you, nor am I ignorant of that fact that your passion is motivated by the desire to find Kelly. Again, I'm sorry if you take offense to the tone, but it is no different than the offense I took to yours as it was almost hitting what appeared to be a vendetta-like state against the sister which I believed was counter-productive.

So what do we actually have here? A young woman possibly drunk needing a ride home?

Hi Beyond- I don't think she needed a ride home.. she lived right downtown and was last seen in very close proximity.. but it does sound like someone was walking her home. According to the last article posted, an employee of Amy's Cafe said that he had intended to walk her home, but someone came up to them outside the cafe and claimed to be her friend and said that he would walk her home instead.

So the last person known to be with her is a friend, or he was claiming to be a friend. If he was unknown to her, I would imagine that she would have said so. But the impression this guy had outside the cafe was that they were friends. I just hope that Kelly was in the frame of mind to see whether it was someone she knew or not.

ETA: Grrr I must be tired. She was last seen outside a bar called Lava Lounge. The guy who first walked her out WORKS at Amy's Cafe. So Amy's Cafe is not relevant.

mssheila...I don't have a beef with you, nor am I ignorant of that fact that your passion is motivated by the desire to find Kelly. Again, I'm sorry if you take offense to the tone, but it is no different than the offense I took to yours as it was almost hitting what appeared to be a vendetta-like state against the sister which I believed was counter-productive.

I'm backing off the sister. I do agree that I'm coming off too strong about the phone call and the sisters comments. I'm leaving that subject unless it becomes more important.

I wish I could go back and delete that post where I quoted her over and over. It won't let me. If a mod wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it if you could delete post # 106. I'm being too harsh and focusing on this too much.

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=12985

Nolan is listed as a senior in the Arts and Communications Department of UW-Whitewater. UW-Whitewater Registrar Dan Edlebeck told 27 News the majority of this fall's expected senior class enrolled in fall classes during an April priority registration period. Records show Nolan did not register for classes. The Capital Times reported Nolan's mother, Mary Jane Nolan said her daughter told her she signed up for classes for her senior year.
<SNIP>

:confused:
Maybe she told her mom that because she had intended to? Or maybe she hadn't broken the news yet that she didn't want to return to school in the fall... This is such a strange, twisting story.

I have just read this entire thread. This case is one of the most bizarre that I have ever seen. No leads, no suspects, no information......nothing. I hope the poor girl is found alive and well...

I'm backing off the sister. I do agree that I'm coming off too strong about the phone call and the sisters comments. I'm leaving that subject unless it becomes more important.

I wish I could go back and delete that post where I quoted her over and over. It won't let me. If a mod wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it if you could delete post # 106. I'm being too harsh and focusing on this too much.

mssheila, IMO there's no reason to delete your post just because you now feel it's a dead end. The whole beauty of WS is that results come from the fact that so many people post about what seems important or significant to them AT THE TIME, and slowly dead ends are discarded and a clearer picture emerges of many facets of a case.

I think it's more helpful to a case if posters concentrate on new information and analysing information and developing theories than policing the efforts of other posters. There's always the alert button, if one thinks a post violates TOS in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo