Found Deceased WI - Kodie Dutcher, 10, may be suicidal, Baraboo, 6 July 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something a lot of people don’t realize is that many suicides are impulsive, not carefully planned. This is especially true with kids and teens. She could have been reacting to something that had only happened that day. There sometimes are no signs at all.

TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH.
I agree that nearly all child suicides are impulsive. It's not that uncommon for them especially girls to poison themselves either but for one to go hide in a cornfield so she wouldn't be found and saved seems a click above normal to me. Not saying it necessarily means anything but it makes the case noteworthy.

Her mother said she was happy and saw no signs of anything wrong.

I just can't fathom not knowing something is so terribly wrong with a child. We need desperately to bring awareness to parents on what to look for. This mother has to be devastated.

Her mother may have been in denial, or didn't know what signs she needed to look for.

I also noticed that no paternal relatives are named in Kodie's obituary. That says a lot to me.

5f07712a4a9eb.image.jpg

No words required.

Dutcher, Kodie Braelynn
My heart hurts for this girl. I hope her family holds her close.

I understand the term "pharmacologic" to be associated with action drugs and/or pain management.

However, pain-relieving drugs (otherwise called analgesics) include over the counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), and acetaminophens. In other words, aspirin, ibuprofen .....

I think we will have to wait until the toxicology results until we know if they're talking analgesics or narcotics. MOO
Pharmacologic suicide means suicide by drugs. As opposed to cutting her wrists or hanging herself, etc.

All drugs are “action” drugs. That the whole point. They have an action that occurs in the body to provide a treatment.

I agree that nearly all child suicides are impulsive. It's not that uncommon for them especially girls to poison themselves either but for one to go hide in a cornfield so she wouldn't be found and saved seems a click above normal to me. Not saying it necessarily means anything but it makes the case noteworthy.

Honestly, I think people are hung up on the fact that she left the house, and it could have just been that she did impulsively decide that she wanted to die, based on some trigger, and she may have been enough of a sensitive child to know finding her body would be an extra heartbreak for her mother and wanted to at least avoid that, without being able to think in more long term of preventing the grief at all.

It's heartbreaking to read her mom's comment to her daughter being found. She seems to know her daughter was barely holding on and the worst is over for her.

"At least I know where she is and the worst is over for her. I am a mess as you can imagine. I am beyond stressed out thank you to everyone who has reached out."

Her mother said she had no idea whatsoever that anything was wrong.

Her mother may have been in denial, or didn't know what signs she needed to look for.

I also noticed that no paternal relatives are named in Kodie's obituary. That says a lot to me.

Your first statement is extremely unkind, speculating that the mother, who by all accounts--so far at least--was very close with her daughter, was "in denial" or just plain unaware "what signs she needed to look for."

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to consider is we don’t know when Kodie ingested the drugs. She may have been heavily under the influence by the time she left the apartment, not thinking about her shoes or where she was going. She was probably half the weight of an average adult for whom most rx drugs are prescribed. Two or three might have been enough to cause her death. We just don’t know.

Re: mental illness in children-the fact that we even have pediatric psychiatric facilities shows that children are suffering. From personal experience, it’s extremely difficult to find placement in one of these facilities and my child (at age 12) was admitted nearly 3 hours away. The youngest child on her wing was 5. We were in an adjoining room when he was admitted and he had to be sedated by 2 large security men and carried to his room. The majority of kids in her unit were 10-13 and had all attempted suicide in some manner.

Kodie was about to turn 11 in a few weeks. Depending on school system, she either just completed 5th or 6th grade. That’s usually the end of elementary or beginning of middle school, prime bullying time.
RIP sweet girl

Honestly, I think people are hung up on the fact that she left the house, and it could have just been that she did impulsively decide that she wanted to die, based on some trigger, and she may have been enough of a sensitive child to know finding her body would be an extra heartbreak for her mother and wanted to at least avoid that, without being able to think in more long term of preventing the grief at all.

and wasn’t her mom due home soon?

Great post.
The thought of multiple children having panic attacks at school is heartbreaking, though.

But not surprising.

We’ve taken kids who have already worked through separation anxiety to matriculate, and put them in a situation where they now have to go through it all over again.

When I was ten, I ingested a large handful of otc pain relievers in an attempt to overdose. I recall feeling like my head was spinning and needing to get air. I went outside and walked up and down my street. Perhaps this little girl left her house without shoes on for a similar reason.

When I was ten, I ingested a large handful of otc pain relievers in an attempt to overdose. I recall feeling like my head was spinning and needing to get air. I went outside and walked up and down my street. Perhaps this little girl left her house without shoes on for a similar reason.
I'm so sorry you went through that, but very happy that you survived. <3 ((hugs))

I just feel so sad when I think about all the ways Kodie's life could have gone had she managed to crawl out from that dark place.

I struggled with depression between ages 12-17, and again two years ago, though I was thankfully never suicidal. This last time I had the advantage of knowing that it gets better, and that gave me the strength to reach out. When you're young and in the middle of it you don't know that it gets better, you can't see the light at the end. And you don't know that you're loved and worthy. Let's all resolve to remind kids when we see them struggling.

I wanted to say to everyone on this board who had or has mental health problems and/or suicide attempts --

You are loved, you are safe, and many people (including myself) are glad you're here

I know that's random words from a stranger on some message board, and I know that's not worth a lot. But I really hope that it at least gives you comfort that random people from all around can care for each other, and really, truly mean that they're glad you survived your worst days, your worst attempts to end those days, and want you to be here (on this planet) in the future.

I wanted to say to everyone on this board who had or has mental health problems and/or suicide attempts --

You are loved, you are safe, and many people (including myself) are glad you're here

I know that's random words from a stranger on some message board, and I know that's not worth a lot. But I really hope that it at least gives you comfort that random people from all around can care for each other, and really, truly mean that they're glad you survived your worst days, your worst attempts to end those days, and want you to be here (on this planet) in the future.

Your words are worth a lot!

Thank you for posting this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member