GUILTY WI - LAKE GENEVA SUITCASE MURDERS, Laura Simonson & Jenny Gamez - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time commenting, well actually I finally got around to registering. I'm from this area, One of the girls who lived next to him, I worked with for a short period of time, I also know someone who has connections with the police force in that area. I've been reading up on this case sine the first day, I thought I knew the girl who wasn't identified, I even called the Geneva police because it was uncanny, everyday I searched and searched an eventually was led to this website. It wasn't the girl I know. But since I have not been able to stop reading this forum because I think something is off about the way they are handling the case, it's moving too slow for even Wisconsin, and I'm actually starting to think he's actually going to get away with this.

It scares me that the tipster had to place an ad to get the investigation started.
Had that not occurred SZ might not have disposed of the bodies

It scares me that the tipster had to place an ad to get the investigation started.
Had that not occurred SZ might not have disposed of the bodies

I'm just wondering how after a year the smell started bothering him.
i worked in a mall in the area, and I swear i've seen him there before, I can't even imagine how JSR feels.

But since I have not been able to stop reading this forum because I think something is off about the way they are handling the case, it's moving too slow for even Wisconsin, and I'm actually starting to think he's actually going to get away with this.

the fact that women from two other states are victims adds additional focus to the investigation. I do believe a lot of noise would be made if no further charges were filed against SZ. don't you?

Patience, NOW! :)

the fact that women from two other states are victims adds additional focus to the investigation. I do believe a lot of noise would be made if no further charges were filed against SZ. don't you?

Patience, NOW! :)

No doubt noise would be made if no further charges were filed but the little oddities such as LE not asking the general public for more info or asking potential victims from the past to come forth if they were rape victims who survived SZ makes it difficult to be patient.......
There isn't even a reliable contact person posted by LE anywhere - general info tip lines are the only thing they are offering......
Odd and no doubt fustrating for people who have information that might help the investigation.
Seems like they should be trying harder to recover from the need to place an ad for this to be found out. I think they should be making more of an effort to regain the publics trust when you consider that the accused was in LE - I suspect there are many people who know lots of details and its just kinda scary that the agency the accused worked for gets to choose what is and is not found out

I suspect there are many people who know lots of details and its just kinda scary that the agency the accused worked for gets to choose what is and is not found out

exactly. and add to that, the media has gone full blown deer in headlights.

I wonder if this concern should be taken to the Wisconsin State's Attorney's office?

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/ag/biography

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news...nsin-arrest-geneva-police-milwaukee/11395589/

The article reports that another of SZ's email is MasterB Slave Club".

Also that Laura's father has cared for her seven children since 2010.

My heart aches thinking about all of this - Laura and her dead daughter too.
How is it possible that these are the care arrangements for these children?

I'm not caught up but wanted to post before signing off tonight.
Wish I hadn't read the additional bad news now though.

oops, transposed the cities. (too vain to wear glasses <cough>)

Yes, it doesn't explain how she got to the hotel in Rochester. Was she seen being picked up at a bus stop, by a vehicle? (BTW ~ hate how that article was written)

I haven't found anything about Laura's residence in St Paul. Why two residences, (is one her Mom's - Farmington) and St Paul is (her Father ???). Her Father does have a different last name. BTW, you may wish to google his name. This story is going from bad to worse.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/corrections-and-clarifications-b99299891z1-264860801.html

Bumping ~ everyone should do this (google) so you'll be aware what the bad news is. Bad to worse is right.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/in-the-news/milwaukee-man-pleads-guilty-20140613.pdf

This came from the site listed by OhThatVictoria (thank you) - I'm not trying to confuse cases, here, but it lists the departments who worked on this sex-trafficking case. I'd be happy to compose a letter to the State Attorney, but would like input and direction from all you experienced websleuth's as to how to express concerns. If I'm correct, our concern (one of many) is the lack of media coverage? I know I'd get a pat answer that the case is under investigation, so how should the concerns be stated? And, do I send a joint concern (from this site) or individual, personal concern?

In addition to the Walworth County Sheriff's Office and Town of Geneva police, the following agencies also investigated the case: the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations; the Wisconsin State Crime Lab; the FBI offices in Milwaukee and Minneapolis; Farmington, Minn., police; Rochester, Minn., police; the State of Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension; West Allis police, Kenosha police and Cottage Grove, Ore. police.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...dies-investigation-b99301748z1-265235091.html

This is written poorly in my opinion...it sounds like the investigation is over. I think thats my biggest concern is that they will just turn this over to local authorities and the FBI will sign off ---I hope all this concern is foolish on my part and there is a full-fledged investigation underway.

I understand the concerns here, I truly do. I don't think the investigation is over-in fact I think there is a lot of work to do. There is no way SZ is going to get away with this-it defies logic that he could have killed two women by accident. I mean, his defense atty is clearly grasping at straws...didn't he indicate that the disposal of the suitcases in that location was to ensure that they were found?

There is a tremendous amount of information here to unravel-the internet sessions, the fact that he was a cop...it is incredible when you think of all of the witness interviews alone. Going through his case files-are there vulnerable women he had access to that need to be located? Same with his online life. Unless he confesses and starts pointing to body dumps, this is going to be methodical but slow going imvho. Not much comfort to the suffering families, but it is better to make sure he cant slip through the net.

As to whether or not this could have been prevented? I don't know. There is no easy answer and hopefully we will eventually see some transparency in this case that would give us a better handle.

In addition to the Walworth County Sheriff's Office and Town of Geneva police, the following agencies also investigated the case: the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations; the Wisconsin State Crime Lab; the FBI offices in Milwaukee and Minneapolis; Farmington, Minn., police; Rochester, Minn., police; the State of Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension; West Allis police, Kenosha police and Cottage Grove, Ore. police.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...dies-investigation-b99301748z1-265235091.html

This is written poorly in my opinion...it sounds like the investigation is over. I think thats my biggest concern is that they will just turn this over to local authorities and the FBI will sign off ---I hope all this concern is foolish on my part and there is a full-fledged investigation underway.

Bumping ~ everyone should do this (google) so you'll be aware what the bad news is. Bad to worse is right.

I googled his name and didn't see anything new. Are you referring to the comments he made about Laura?

I googled his name and didn't see anything new. Are you referring to the comments he made about Laura?

No, that's not it. But those flood the first many pages of results. So try setting the time parameters of the search for results before Laura's body was found. I think I used 01/01/2000-01/01/2014 with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kodi ~ thanks for commenting. I admit that only through this case have I done any serious reading / research on the lifestyle of BDSM and come to learn how sex trafficking enters the picture. as the commercial tag reads, "I could have had a V-8".

what I'm finding is that the majority of BDSM hobbyists (if that term is OK to use) are in it for exploration and excitement, ie harmless fun. by no means am I judging people who wish to partake and if my posts seem that way, it's probably because I'm rather incredulous at what I'm learning on the downside of the lifestyle.

there are people who are in this lifestyle to profit, exploit and hurt others (true sadists at heart). was that the case w/SZ? we don't know but I sure hope we find out. the fact that people can die accidentally is part of dancing on the edge, isn't it? I would think that having it happen once would have been enough for him. and, in that instance, I don't understand why he would remove a body from a death scene. being an ex-cop, he knew better. yeah, then it happens twice . . . this case is infuriating.

So Infuriating, an accident?!?! As you say, he is an ex cop, There is a gap from the woman in 2001, and now in 2014, i'm scared what their gonna find in that gap. The story about the girl he kept for 7 years, Is she safe? has she died? has anybody even looked for another body, was she missing since it was 7 years? Or was that just a story Sz said to scare JSR into staying. HE IS AN EX COP, he knows what he' doing.

No, that's not it. But those flood the first many pages of results. So try setting the time parameters of the search for results before Laura's body was found. I think I used 01/01/2000-01/01/2014 with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, ouch! :sick:

Thanks for the tip.

So Infuriating, an accident?!?! As you say, he is an ex cop, There is a gap from the woman in 2001, and now in 2014, i'm scared what their gonna find in that gap. The story about the girl he kept for 7 years, Is she safe? has she died? has anybody even looked for another body, was she missing since it was 7 years? Or was that just a story Sz said to scare JSR into staying. HE IS AN EX COP, he knows what he' doing.

Welcome to Websleuths, Ypsiowns! And welcome to the thread, Kodi! :welcome:

I do hope they are looking for more possible victims. I am surprised that the media hasn't picked up on that. Some media coverage could put pressure on them if they are not.

Preliminary timeline, linked to sources. Additions and/or corrections are always welcome!

Oct 29, 1961: Zelich was born

1976?: Laura was born

1979: Zelich graduated from St Thomas More High School in Milwaukee

Jan 30, 1984: Zelich was hired by the Mequon Police Department

Feb 25, 1989: Zelich resigned from the Mequon Police Depart

Feb 1989: Zelich was hired as a patrol officer with the West Allis Police Department

Apr 9, 1993: Jenny was born

About 1998: Jenny began living in foster care with a series of families

May 13, 2001: LE was called to Zelich's apartment in the 11200 block of W National Ave in West Allis due to an altercation with a woman he brought home from a bar; the case was never referred to the Milwaukee County district attorney's office for possible prosecution

Aug 2001: Zelich resigned from the West Allis Police Department

Oct 27, 2002: Zelich's father passed away

Jan 13, 2004: Zelich created a profile on Bondage.com, expressing his desire for a permanent "24/7 slave, for absolute ownership/slavery" (link NSFW)

2006: A former girlfriend and her children moved to Milwaukee to live with Zelich

Jun 28, 2007: Zelich began working for Securitas Security Services USA

Jul 2, 2007: Zelich was issued a Wisconsin private security license

Aug 2007: The former girlfriend and her children secretly moved out while Zelich was at work

2007: A former business partner cut all ties with Zelich, accusing him of embezzlement from Comprehensive Title LLC

Jun 24, 2008: Household Finance filed suit against Zelich in civil court and was awarded $16,345.26

June 28, 2008: Jenny gave birth to a child

May 4, 2009: Livingston Financial filed suit against Zelich in civil court and was awarded $11,360.21 plus $3,979.70 interest

Nov 4, 2009: Zelich created a profile on ThailandSexy.com, expressing his desire for a permanent "24/7 slave, for absolute ownership/slavery" (link NSFW)

2010: The father of Jenny's child gained sole custody of him

2010: Laura's seven children were placed in foster care with her father

Apr 6, 2010: Midland Funding filed suit against Zelich in small claims court and was awarded a judgment of $2,170.85

Jun 4, 2010: First American Title Insurance, underwriter for policies written by Comprehensive Title, sued Zelich for unpaid premiums and was awarded $53,797.75 plus $3,598.65 interest

Jun 2011: Jenny graduated with honors from Al Kennedy Alternative High School in Cottage Grove, OR, earning a two-year scholarship to Lane Community College in Eugene, OR

2011-2012: Jenny attended Lane Community College for one year

Dec 19, 2011: Zelich's landlord filed an eviction suit against him in small claims court and was awarded a judgment of $6,569

Jan 19, 2012: Zelich placed a message on MasterB Slave Club seeking an owner for "no limit no release enslavement"

May 13, 2012: Jenny's foster mother last saw her on Mother's Day when Jenny stopped by to bring her a plant

Mid-2012: According to her foster mother, Jenny abruptly decided to move to California to live with friends and fell out of touch with everyone close to her

Late 2012-Early 2013: Zelich claimed he spent days with Jenny before killing her in Kenosha County, WI

Apr 23, 2013: Household Finance filed a Garnishment-Large Claims suit against Zelich in civil court

Jun 20, 2013: One of Laura's children died suddenly

Nov 1, 2013: Laura was last seen by family members

Nov 2, 2013: Laura parked her van at her mother's house

Nov 2, 2013: Laura was picked up from the parking lot of the Akin Road Elementary School in Farmington

Nov 2, 2013: Laura was last seen alive when she and Zelich checked in to the Microtel Inn in Rochester, MN

Nov 3, 2013: Zelich checked out of the Microtel Inn alone

Nov 22, 2013: Laura was reported missing by her mother

Jan 2014: A friend of Laura's posted on her Facebook page that Laura was taken from her mother's house on November 2, 2013 by Steven Zelich

Mid-Jan 2014: Farmington LE accessed Laura's online chats and located two e-mails accounts registered to Zelich

Jan 17, 2014: At the request of Farmington LE, West Allis LE went to Zelich's apartment but found no sign of Laura

Early 2014: After Zelich failed to respond to a letter from Farmington LE, FBI and Wisconsin DCI agents spoke to him

Apr 18, 2014: A classified ad was placed in Wisconsin Super Ads, accusing Zelich of holding Laura captive

May 15, 2014: Zelich created a profile on Alt.com, expressing his desire for a permanent "24/7 slave, for absolute ownership/slavery" (link NSFW)

May 25, 2014: Zelich posted a Legal Shield ad on CraigsList

First week of June 2014: Zelich said he took both bodies to the Town of Geneva and dumped them in tall grass on the side of a road

Jun 5, 2014: A Town of Geneva highway worker cutting grass discovered two suitcases in a ditch along North Como Road just east of County Road H in the Town of Geneva, WI

Jun 5, 2014: Farmington LE was notified that a body matching Laura's description had been found

Jun 6, 2014: Autopsies were conducted on the unidentified remains

Jun 9, 2014: The Waukesha County ME's office revealed that the remains belonged to two females

Jun 10, 2014: Rochester LE first became aware of the connection between the suitcases and Laura's disappearance when they were contacted by Wisconsin LE

Jun 12, 2014: Investigators processed the room Laura and Zelich occupied at the Microtel Inn in Rochester for traces of evidence

Jun 24, 2014: LE discovered physical evidence that connected Zelich to the bodies of Laura and Jenny

Jun 25, 2014: Steven Zelich was taken into custody for questioning related to the two bodies

Jun 25, 2014: Zelich's apartment at 8011 W Lincoln Ave was searched and potential evidence seized

Jun 25, 2014: Zelich was arrested on two counts of hiding a corpse and booked into the Walworth County Jail

Jun 25, 2014: One of the bodies was identified as Laura Simonson, 37, of Farmington, MN; a description of the other body was released

Jun 26, 2014: A former girlfriend of Zelich's said he claimed he'd once had a girl for seven years and kept her caged 90% of the time

Jun 27, 2014: Zelich appeared via video for his initial hearing on two felony charges of hiding a corpse; his bail was set at $1,000,000

Jun 27, 2014: Cottage Grove LE said they were working with Wisconsin LE to obtain Jenny's dental records

Jun 30, 2014: The second body was officially identified as Jenny

Jul 3, 2014: The woman involved in the 2001 altercation with Zelich spoke to a reporter about the events of that night

Jul 3, 2014: Zelich was bound over for trial at his preliminary hearing

Jul 17, 2014: Zelich is scheduled to enter a plea

Good work! Just keep in mind a few things I have learned about living here: (a) almost ALL the surrounding counties send autopsies to Milw. The actual paperwork/labs may be done in the county where the deceased was found...but that takes forever 6-8 weeks or more. Can take up to 4 months or so if it is not high profile. I just happen to know this because I lost a loved one in Racine Co. and they sent her body up here to Milw. for autopsy. We, as her family, needed her death certificate to handle her bills, ect and it took FOREVER; (b) once again, our police department is in the red. They are looking at district 5, which is NOT West Allis. But officers transfer or are transferred between districts all the time. There is an issue with MPD and how they treat certain some Milw. residents. We locals know this. Some people are targeted more than others. The reason why the woman who claims she escaped from SZ' house may have not been taken seriously is because a SZ said she was a pro/stripper. That does not mean a darn thing. Even if she was, does not matter. If she was in distress they should have taken her to the hospital. NOT ignored her claims. This just REEKS to me of bad policing; (c) Everything stops during Summerfest. Our economy depends on tourism during summer months (face it, our winters are brutal so the only time anyone comes here is during the summer). News suddenly changes during Summerfest. All the "bad stuff goes away". Not saying it still does not happen...just that you will not hear about it. They want you to come here, spend money, and they change the news reports to promote a "freindly atmosphere".

Mine is incorrect. When you move a lot you maybe update your address with USPS...but to update your driver's license is a pain in the butt. Not many of us do that until you have to re-apply. It takes forever. You go to the district police and they give you an orange sticker you fill out yourself. You could put anything down if you wanted to. No one really checks. Mostly, we update for insurance purposes...but if I wanted to put down "Pluto" I totally could without a problem.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/in-the-news/milwaukee-man-pleads-guilty-20140613.pdf

This came from the site listed by OhThatVictoria (thank you) - I'm not trying to confuse cases, here, but it lists the departments who worked on this sex-trafficking case. I'd be happy to compose a letter to the State Attorney, but would like input and direction from all you experienced websleuth's as to how to express concerns. If I'm correct, our concern (one of many) is the lack of media coverage? I know I'd get a pat answer that the case is under investigation, so how should the concerns be stated? And, do I send a joint concern (from this site) or individual, personal concern?

I've thought about this and wouldn't send anything with this site name (as if I were representing this site). Just don't want the forum managers to panic :fence:

Do not read too much into that. We have a huge German/Czech community. A lot of us share last names but are not related in any way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back