WI - Six killed, 4 injured in Sikh temple shooting, Oak Creek, 5 Aug 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal article above:

In Cudahy, Amber Young, 14, said she saw a man walking a dog, a black Labrador, on several occasions near the house that was searched and that the man, who she believed lived in the house, had a 9/11 tattoo on his upper right arm.

"He was walking his dog and it was right there," she said pointing to her own upper right arm.

Carlson of the FBI told the Journal Sentinel that there is no 9-11 tattoo on Page's body. Several national news organizations reported Sunday that the shooter had such a tattoo.

It is unclear who the man Amber Young saw was. The man the FBI identified as a "person of interest" does have a 9/11 tattoo on his arm.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...ite-supremacist-856cn28-165123946.html?ipad=y

ETA: I'm not too good at photoshopping, but if you zoom in on the photo at the link above, you can see the tattoo "9-11-01" just above his elbow.

The Journal Sentinel is doing a great job covering this story. It's nice (and rare) to see good journalism these days.

One would think that people who spend most of their waking days being racist would be able to tell the difference between various ethnic groups. Unbelievable.

But it doesn't matter. No one deserves to be slaughtered and in their peaceful place of worship? How horrible. My heart goes out to these poor people.

Just read POI has been cleared. Be right back with link.

The FBI has identified the person of interested and determined that he was not involved in the temple shooting. We'll update this story throughout the afternoon.

ETA: not sure why the link won't work

Trying again:

FBI: 'Person of interest' not involved in Oak Creek Sikh temple shooting
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...-vet-white-supremacist-856cn28-165123946.html

BBM

I don't know about "at the top of their hit list," but I do know that persons of color are targeted here by those groups.

BBM - Sorry, but attacks against Sikhs, being mistaken for muslims, are ongoing even a decade later.

http://www.splcenter.org/search/apachesolr_search/Sikh

Sikhs are very gentle people. If you go to their temple, they will let you in and feed you (they serve food at their temples) no matter who or what you are. (I have been). They have no trace of militancy in their religious or political beliefs. One of the hallmarks of their beliefs is to fight against discrimination.

But racists are stupid and would have no idea that these people are different from Muslims. Yeah, it's true that racists hate all people with dark skin, but there are some they hate more than others and I think it is very safe to say that this creep had no idea these people weren't Muslim.

Photo of Wade from MS page linked above

a693781f-c4fc-118d.jpg

That is a very common cross among white supremacists. I have never seen someone with such a tattoo who is NOT a supremacist, even though the symbol itself has nothing to do with hate (much like the swastika used to be).

I was never aware of that when my husband was in the Army - duh!

I'll say. Both my brothers were in the army and they reported such an environment of camaraderie and unity. A black guy and a white guy from the same region in the south would be fast friends in the army, do everything together, even if they wouldn't be like that back home.

IMO, the military is anti-racism. You got a bunch of people who need to depend on each other to get through. Teamwork and standing up for your brother is what is emphasized. There is no culture of racism there, at all.

I'd say there is no tolerated outward signs of racism in the Army that I ever sensed. My husband never expresses racist attitudes at all. Back then, he always bought tickets to black history month events and the ball and stuff like that because some of our friends were black. A gf of mine, a black woman, told me she felt prejudice from time-to-time though. It's a tough state-of-mind and condition to overcome from both sides, depending on one's upbringing imo.

As far as soldiers go, you're right that they rely on each other to have the other's back so it behooves everybody to be friends! I needed a break when my husband retired but, I must say, I miss Army life now. Life was never dull but could be very stressful at times.

My husband was attached to the Pentagon on 9/11 so we could have had personal tragedy that day. I knew he had headed to Fort Belvoir though as I was watching my TV and saw the towers fall down and later the Pentagon being attacked, etc. It was my parent's anniversary so I was on the phone with them wishing them a happy day when that occurred. I'll never forget that moment. We hung up and I fell to my knees and began to pray as I lived 10 miles from the Pentagon at the time. Who knew what was going to happen next?

Just saw on HLN that they will have info on girlfriend WMP had recently split from coming up after the commercial.
I guess she gave an interview.

Just saw on HLN that they will have info on girlfriend WMP had recently split from coming up after the commercial.
I guess she gave an interview.

Brian Todd from HLN says ex girlfriend is talking to investigators. She was his girlfriend while he was in the band and she left him for another member of the band.

I'd say there is no tolerated outward signs of racism in the Army that I ever sensed. My husband never expresses racist attitudes at all. Back then, he always bought tickets to black history month events and the ball and stuff like that because some of our friends were black. A gf of mine, a black woman, told me she felt prejudice from time-to-time though. It's a tough state-of-mind and condition to overcome from both sides, depending on one's upbringing imo.

As far as soldiers go, you're right that they rely on each other to have the other's back so it behooves everybody to be friends! I needed a break when my husband retired but, I must say, I miss Army life now. Life was never dull but could be very stressful at times.

My husband was attached to the Pentagon on 9/11 so we could have had personal tragedy that day. I knew he had headed to Fort Belvoir though as I was watching my TV and saw the towers fall down and later the Pentagon being attacked, etc. It was my parent's anniversary so I was on the phone with them wishing them a happy day when that occurred. I'll never forget that moment. We hung up and I fell to my knees and began to pray as I lived 10 miles from the Pentagon at the time. Who knew what was going to happen next?

From what I understand, he did't start his supremacist actions until after he was discharged from the army.

That's just what I gather from reading various articles.

A federal law enforcement official told CNN that investigators interviewed a former girlfriend of Page. The woman said the pair had recently broken up, and she told investigators she had no indication Page planned such an attack. She provided the names of friends and associates of Page, the official said.

Page's family said it was "devastated by the horrific events," according to the Journal Sentinel newspaper.

"While there can be no words of comfort that will make sense of what happened that day, please be aware that our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families," the family said in a text message, according to the newspaper.

"We share in their grief for all who lost their lives that day and for those survivors, we hope for a speedy recovery. We have been cooperating and will continue to cooperate with the investigation in any way we can. Please respect our privacy as we try to deal with the tragic loss of life and family."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/us/wisconsin-temple-shooting/index.html?c=&page=0

Would you rather that authorities not note known facts about the shooter?

As Betty P. notes above, "The U.S. military has also had problems with white supremacist groups in its ranks for a couple of decades now."

Our forces do not suffer by the revelation that this piece of scum was in their ranks for a time. His general discharge - a less-than-honorable discharge - speaks of his actions while serving.

They have done it ad nauseaum and I really dont think him being in the Army 14 years ago has anything to do with why he killed and wounded these people.

Imo, it is as if the media tries to protray veterans or military personnel as all being some kind of loose cannons and that is as far from the truth as it can get.

The military said his problem was unable to conform to the military code of honor.... such as drinking while on duty..etc.

IMO

I could never understand why anyone would want to join the military if they held racial hatred against a certain group of people since in the military it is all about inclusion of every race and religion coming together and becoming one team.:(

It seems he began to have these twisted views after he left the Army.

IMO

http://foxnewsinsider.com/tag/laura-lynn/

The ex-stepmother of the Wisconsin shooting suspect 40-year-old Wade Michael Page spoke to a Fox News producer about her former stepson. In 2001, Laura Lynn divorced the alleged gunman’s father, and that was the last time she said she heard from Page. Jonathan Hunt reported that Lynn remembers him as a little boy, calling him a “precious, precious child” and a “sweet, little, typical boy.”

They have done it ad nauseaum and I really dont think him being in the Army 14 years ago has anything to do with why he killed and wounded these people.

Imo, it is as if the media tries to protray veterans or military personnel as all being some kind of loose cannons and that is as far from the truth as it can get.

The military said his problem was unable to conform to the military code of honor.... such as drinking while on duty..etc.

IMO

Actually, the problem today is more w/ hate/domestic terrorism groups recruiting military vets.

Recall the report written by the Dept. of Homeland Security back in April 2009.

It provided information and resources to state and local PD's about how to deal with the growing danger of right wing extremism. The problem was the conservative movement and news media went bonkers over it because it mentioned this very problem - that right wing extremist groups were heavily recruiting members from US military veterans.

They forced DHS Secy. Janet Napolitano to withdraw the report and apologize to veterans.

From MSNBC in April 2009

Republicans on Wednesday said a Homeland Security Department intelligence assessment unfairly characterizes military veterans as right-wing extremists. House Republican leader John Boehner described the report as offensive and called on the agency to apologize to veterans.

The agency's intelligence assessment, sent to law enforcement officials last week, warns that right-wing extremists could use the bad state of the U.S. economy and the election of the country's first black president to recruit members.

The assessment also said that returning military veterans who have difficulties assimilating back into their home communities could be susceptible to extremist recruiters or might engage in lone acts of violence.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30222789/ns/us_news-security/t/republicans-criticize-report-extremists/

The report did not characterize military vets as right wing extremists or domestic terrorists, as critics would have realized if they read it. But it pointed out to local LE to watch out for these kinds of recruitment activities by extremist groups in their jurisdictions.

So the report was retracted, investigations stopped and now we see the results.

Our country is extremely proud of its military, both active duty and veterans. But we have to realize that a small percentage of them have problems and are being targeted by extremist groups seeking their skills and military experience.

Just read POI has been cleared. Be right back with link.

The FBI has identified the person of interested and determined that he was not involved in the temple shooting. We'll update this story throughout the afternoon.

ETA: not sure why the link won't work

Trying again:

FBI: 'Person of interest' not involved in Oak Creek Sikh temple shooting
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...-vet-white-supremacist-856cn28-165123946.html

BBM

Poor guy. Now he's mistakenly known all over the world as someone associated with Wade Michael Page. Huge pics of him everywhere.

News is saying that Page's duplex on Holmes Ave was his 4th home in 5 months in Milwaukee. They also said he'd been in Milwaukee since last Fall. That's more than 5 months, so I'm confused.
This info from 6 o'clock news on FOX6 in Milwaukee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmandaRDH
Back