GUILTY WI - Taylor Schabusiness, 24, dismembered man’s body, placed head in bucket, Green Bay, 2022 *Graphic*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If this has been laid out, apologies for having missed it. And maybe this varies state by state.

The jury is answering the question “was she responsible for her actions” correct? So just a yes or no verdict this time.

If yes, she will get a prison sentence.
If they deem she was not responsible… then what?
I’ve always wondered, does she not go to prison at all? Is she held in a mental health facility, given treatment and meds?
For how long? Life?
What happens if/when she’s released and decides to stop her meds and future treatment?

Thanks if anyone can answer.
Vinnie and Julia explain what will happen at the end of this video.

As for your last question, look out!!

Last edited:
I understand, but I was not really asking for opinions. I was asking what actually happens according to the law. Thanks.

Editing to add, we can all go back and forth all day on what we all think is right, what we think she needs. I didn’t know if it was legally laid out anywhere? Just out of curiosity.
It’s a great question, I’ve been looking for an answer too.

If she’s declared NGI but deemed currently sane then shouldn’t she be released from custody? Hopefully after a thorough evaluation.

If found NGI and currently still insane then she’d probably be institutionalized until such time her therapists determine she’s sane and no longer a threat to society.

That’s probably why it’s so important to make an accurate finding and I suspect that in practice TS isn’t going anywhere regardless of NGI or not.

All MOO

If this has been laid out, apologies for having missed it. And maybe this varies state by state.

The jury is answering the question “was she responsible for her actions” correct? So just a yes or no verdict this time.

I’ve always wondered, does she not go to prison at all? Is she held in a mental health facility, given treatment and meds?
For how long? Life?
What happens if/when she’s released and decides to stop her meds and future treatment?

I have c/p the relevant part to answer your question and linked the statute to answer the others. Hope that helps!

Felonies committed on or after July 30, 2002. Except as provided in par. (c), when a defendant is found not guilty by reason of mental disease or mental defect of a felony committed on or after July 30, 2002, the court shall commit the person to the department of health services for a specified period not exceeding the maximum term of confinement in prison that could be imposed on an offender convicted of the same felony, plus imprisonment authorized by any applicable penalty enhancement statutes, subject to the credit provisions of s. 973.155.

(c) Felonies punishable by life imprisonment. If a defendant is found not guilty by reason of mental disease or mental defect of a felony that is punishable by life imprisonment, the commitment period specified by the court may be life, subject to termination under sub. (5).

Further reading at section 3 Commitment Order gives further info as to how to court handles non-complaince as to your other questions.

I flopped twice today. State's case was solid. I believe she does have a soup of disorders, which were provoked by severe drug use.

I do think she's at risk for psychosis but I think that incarceration can be very stabilizing for her, provided she stays drug free.

With managed mood stabilizers, I think over time, she can stabilize.

I don't think her bipolar alone caused her behavior. Willful intoxication....

She will likely be hard to contain anywhere, at first.

I think she will be found guilty.

I am however 50-50.

Jmo

For how long? Life?

Curious to know as well. Never could find anything on this and wanted to look at WI law site. Haven't looked at Court tv link provided yet by @twall.

Last edited:
Thank you! Lots of reading but if I understand, the defendant can petition for release but they’re subject to strict evaluations before it’s granted, thank goodness.

And if defendant is considered still mentally ill then the period of confinement can’t exceed the actual punishment sentence. Which in this case is life, so a moot point.

Vinnie and Julia explain what will happen at the end of this video.

As for your last question, look out!!
Thank you for posting. They only need 10 of 12 jurors - WI has not been reporting much on phase 2. Now we know why. Wow.

my thoughts on Taylor are: She's seriously seriously medically mentally ill. But she is not legally insane.

While I acknowledge, this woman has apparently had an awful life, I hope she is locked up and never sees the light of day. Once she is sentenced and the world moves on, I suspect we will hear about her again. She will commit violence in prison. Lots of it. They'll need to watch her like a a hawk. all MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mareno
Back