WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
but I called to volunteer and was told they didn't need any and thank you....that was yesterday at noon...

I think some of the news is repeat from Monday (for this a.m. anyway).

I know they have around 150 LE there NOW....

On the radio today, it said that human remains were found. They were going to do DNA testing on them. We should have results today.

I don't know if i believe Avery had anything to do with this... it is too convenient. I am thinking set up. No one can be tha stupid... unless he thinks that because of his past he would get away with it... i don't know... the criminal mind works in strange ways...

Always

each station here says something different.

His lawyer said Steve is naive??????????? not smart?

1000Sparks said:
each station here says something different.

His lawyer said Steve is naive??????????? not smart?

Where in Wisconsin are you from? I have been watching NBC26 news, and listening to 100.3 fm

This is so crazy.... I hope they find her...

Always

AlwaysHope said:
Where in Wisconsin are you from? I have been watching NBC26 news, and listening to 100.3 fm

This is so crazy.... I hope they find her...

Always

I live near the Appleton area....
I am just not sure what to think at this point... But my guess is that incinerator they had roped off a few days ago is going to play a big part in this ....

lisag said:
I am near Appleton....
I am just not sure what to think at this point...

Where are you ??

I am in Oshkosh... This just seems so unreal... you just don't think things like this happen here... But, clearly they do...

joanofarc said:
Steve's brother Chuck....getting his DNA extracted....hmmm....

I wonder what the kind of relationship Steve has with his brothers....and if they have their sites set on getting a cut of the $36 million if it is ever awarded to Steve?????
I thought this was an interesting article concerning Steven Avery’s life since he was set free…

It really made me think about the STRESSOR factor. Robert Ressler (My Hero) says, "stressors" are events that trigger the killer into action. They can be "conflict with females, parental conflict, financial stress, marital problems, conflict with males, birth of a child, physical injury, legal problems, and stress from a death." As the killer grapples with frustration, anger, and resentment, the fantasies of killing can eclipse reality. "Many triggering factors center around some aspect of control,"

http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2004/04/29/news/news3.txt
MADISON -- A man freed from prison last September after serving 18 years for a rape he didn't commit has been living in an ice shanty following a falling out with family members.
Steven Avery has yet to receive any of the thousands of dollars in compensation expected from the state, and his plight prompted a legislator to announce Wednesday he has established a fund to assist Avery.

Avery, 41, interviewed by telephone Wednesday, described the shanty on his sister's property in Two Rivers as "a hair bigger than a cell."

He said he moved there after a recent falling out with relatives.

A small stove keeps him warm at night and he uses his sister's home to shower and eat meals. That's where he was reached by phone. "I'd rather have my own place," Avery said.

"I got my younger brother, he says: "If you can make it in there, why can't you make it out here?"

Avery said. "That hurts a lot."

Sounds stressed to me.

Next week, UW Law School and other orgs w/in the law school are presenting a symposium on wrongful convictions, a documentary called "after innocence" which documents the lives of men after having their convictions nullified, and finally, there was to be a panel of WI men who were wrongfully convicted, focusing on their lives after being released. Steven Avery was to be part of that panel.

And - in the linked article above, I wonder if being banished to the ice shanty had anything to do with the disorderly conduct incident earlier this year. I believe that had something to do with a domestic incident, although I do not know what it was.

February is a mean month to be in an ice shack...unless you are fishing.

That made the news here too...maybe so people felt sorry for him cause they were taking donations..he said he had no place to go?????

1:30 new conference

I wonder if one of his brothers are the ones the police should be focussing on. Seems to me that the family is not the most trust worthy. It would also be an easy set up for Steve. I really hope he is not involved... I hope what ever the police are on to will point in his favor (if he is innocent).

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/APC0101/511100511

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] New search of Avery property [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Evidence found in Halbach search said to be 'of a human nature' [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer (updated at 8 a.m.)
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MISHICOT — A special prosecutor investigating the disappearance of Teresa Halbach filed a weapons charge Wednesday against Steven Avery, who was wrongly convicted of rape 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel told The Post-Crescent today that another search of the Avery family salvage yard was under way this morning.

Pagel would not say what investigators were looking for, but that further information might be available at a press conference at 1:30 p.m. today.
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At a press conference Wednesday, Pagel said evidence found on Avery family property, where Halbach's vehicle was found Saturday, included some that could be human in nature. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery, 43, was taken into custody Wednesday and held without bond at the Calumet County Jail in Chilton. He is charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to the criminal complaint, two weapons — a .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle and a .50-caliber black powder muzzleloader — were found in Avery's bedroom during a search of his home Sunday. Eleven spent 22-caliber shell casings were found in Avery's garage, the criminal complaint said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz, the special prosecutor in the Manitowoc County case, said he decided to issue the criminal complaint and arrest warrant for Avery on Wednesday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The fact that a convicted felon (allegedly) committed another felony, I felt uncomfortable allowing that individual to remain on the street," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery was convicted of burglaries in Manitowoc County in 1981 and 1982, and of endangering safety by conduct regardless of life and as a felon in possession of a firearm in 1985, also in Manitowoc County. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery's attorney, Walt Kelly, told The Associated Press he did not think the weapon was related to the disappearance of Halbach. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Court orders required Steven Avery and seven of his family members to submit DNA samples after investigators said "evidence of a human nature" was found during the past five days of searching on the family's salvage yard west of here. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Family members also were ordered to provide photographs of any wounds on their bodies. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kratz termed the new leads "quite serious" and "substantial" and said evidence found was from both "a victim and a suspect." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Asked if Teresa was dead, Pagel said, "We don't know." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Teresa Halbach remains missing at this time," Kratz said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kratz and Pagel said investigators would seek additional search warrants as the investigation continues into the Oct. 31 disappearance of Halbach, a 25-year-old freelance photographer who lives near St. John in Calumet County. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No search warrant returns were filed Wednesday in either Manitowoc or Calumet counties, officials said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Post-Crescent reported Tuesday that the first search warrant returns, filed in Calumet County, said investigators were looking for evidence of an abduction, sexual assault and homicide when they seized a car owned by Steven Avery and a tow truck owned by his brothers, Chuck Avery and Earl Avery. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steven, Chuck and Earl Avery are among family members who were ordered to provide DNA samples Wednesday. The others are their parents, Allan and Dolores Avery; their sister, Barb Janda; and Barb's sons, Bobby and Bryan Dossey. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chuck Avery said Steven was arrested at Earl's home, while other family members were picked up by police and taken to a medical facility to provide DNA samples. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"They didn't say nothing," he said of police. "The warrants (were) for testing. They said we weren't under arrest." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said the family figured Steven could have guns. They thought his prior record was cleared in 2003 when he was released from prison after being exonerated through DNA testing of a 1985 sexual assault. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We knew he had guns. He hunted since he got out," Chuck Avery said. "Everything else (on his record) should have been dropped a long time ago." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chuck Avery said he isn't sure if the orders for DNA testing mean he or other family members are suspects in Halbach's disappearance. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said he believes the family is under surveillance. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said police who originally said the family could possibly return to their land by Friday now say it will be longer. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I heard different now. I heard another week or two weeks," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said the family is being affected and said Earl's two children and Barb's four children, all about junior high school age, have been missing school this week. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The kids are staying home from school right now. They are getting too much harassment," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mike Halbach, Teresa's brother, said the family was disappointed and worried to hear about the latest developments of evidence found at the salvage yard. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We are definitely hopeful still," he said. "At the same time we understand the reality of the situation. As they find more evidence, our opinion of what happened is slowly changing." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said his family considered Avery's arrest unrelated to his sister's disappearance, and that ordering DNA tests for the Avery family was logical because her vehicle was found on their property. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] John Lee can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 362, or by e-mail at jlee@postcrescent.com. Post-Crescent staff writer J.E. Espino and The Associated Press contributed to this report. [/font][/font]

Timeline of case involving Teresa Halbach's disappearance

Oct. 31: Teresa Halbach, 25, a freelance photographer from St. John in Calumet County, is last seen. She had three appointments to photograph vehicles for sale for an auto trade magazine.
Nov. 3: Teresa's parents report her missing. Investigators deem she was last seen in Manitowoc County.
Nov. 4: It is learned one of the appointments Halbach had the day she disappeared was to photograph a car owned by Steven Avery, a Manitowoc County man who was released from prison in 2003 after serving 18 years for sexual assault. He was exonerated by analysis of DNA evidence.
Nov. 5: Volunteer searchers find Halbach's sport utility vehicle in an auto salvage yard operated by Avery's brothers, Earl and Charles.
Citing a potential conflict of interest since Steven Avery has filed a federal lawsuit against Manitowoc County, a Manitowoc judge appoints Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz as special prosecutor. Kratz says Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel and his department will lead the investigation.
The first of nearly 20 search warrants are issued in the case, covering a tow truck owned by Charles and Earl Avery and a car owned by Steven Avery.
Halbach's vehicle and evidence from the salvage yard are taken to the State Crime Lab in Madison.
Nov. 6: Up to 200 police officers are combing the salvage yard and more than 200 volunteers are searching in Manitowoc County.
Nov. 8: Pagel says the case has moved from a missing persons case to a criminal investigation, and The Post-Crescent reports the first of several search warrant returns says investigators suspect abduction, sexual assault and homicide.
Nov. 9: Steven Avery is arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm, and he and seven other family members are ordered to give DNA samples after Pagel says "evidence that is human in nature" was found in the salvage yard.

Many salvage yards crush cars and stack them, does anyone know if this salvage yard does the same? They have to eventually crush and stack the vehicles or they run out of room.

If she was placed into one of these cars and the car was crushed it will almost obliterate her although I do think that cadaver dogs could track her scent.

I wonder what has been found in the vehicle. Is it blood or semen?

It just seems so surreal that Avery would do this after being arrested falsely all those years but could it be he wants to go back to prison as he has not been accepted out in society it seems by some of his family members and others. Boy I know looks dont mean anything but he IS one spooky looking dude to me.

IMO

Ocean

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/APC0101/51110020

Warrant indicates someone tried to conceal Halbach vehicle

The Post-Crescent

CHILTON — Documents filed today in Calumet County Circuit Court in conjunction with a search warrant suggest someone made an attempt to hide Teresa Halbach’s vehicle in the Avery’s Town of Gibson salvage yard.

The property is the site of a salvage yard operated by the Avery family, including Steven Avery, now being held in jail on a charge of felon in possession of a firearm.

According to an affidavit filed in support of a search warrant to seize a truck and Steven Avery’s personal vehicle, on Nov. 5, investigators found Teresa Halbach’s blue Toyota Rav 4 in the salvage yard among several other vehicles and it appeared someone tried to camouflage it.

“During a visual observation of the vehicle, (it was) noted that there were tree branches covering the vehicle and also vehicle parts placed alongside of the vehicle which looked as though someone had attempted to conceal the vehicle,” said the affidavit.

Sheriff Tells Halbach Family Not To Search For Missing Woman
Steven Avery Arrested On Gun Charges

UPDATED: 11:26 am CST November 10, 2005
MISHICOT, Wis. -- The family of a missing Calumet County woman said on Thursday that they have been told not to search for Teresa Halbach.

The 25-year-old freelance photographer from the Hilbert area has been missing since Oct. 31.

Teresa's brother, Mike Halbach, said Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel told them he didn't need them to search.

Mike Halbach said investigators also gave them more information about the case, but told them not to talk about it publicly until a law enforcement news conference was over later Thursday.

Mike Halbach said, "there have been better times in our lives."

Pagel said a search of the auto salvage yard where Halbach's vehicle was found last weekend had turned up significant evidence.

He said experts at the state crime lab believe some of it could be "human in nature."

http://www.channel3000.com/news/5295807/detail.html

Could this be the reason they were told not to search?

I was doing a search for any updates to news on Teresa Halbach this morn and found one article that spoke of an incinerator on the Steve Avery family business property. I failed to bookmark it but the article is out there. I will continue trying to find it again. If anyone finds it please post it here.
I am wondering if the "human in nature" from this article below could be something they found in the incinerator. The investigators will not say in what area the "human in nature" were found.

Pagel said deputies found significant evidence at the salvage yard, but he refused to say what it was. Asked if investigators found human remains, Pagel would say only that the crime lab is analyzing evidence its experts feel is "human in nature." http://www.gazetteextra.com/missingwoman_avery110905.asp

Thanks for the news release Yaya....and welcome to Websleuths! :dance:

That confirms my suspicions that all was not paradise in the Avery family.

So, is Steve still living in the ice shanty? He has a fiance, right? Perhaps he was threatening his family that because he was forced to live in accommodations that were "no bigger than a cell" (interesting choice of words) that he would never share any type of settlement that he might potentially receive. $36 million dollars is a lot of moola!! Money like that would set his entire family up for life (if he ever had a snowball's chance in hell of receiving the funds). It appears that he had some people trying to get him $450,000 earlier but that didn't seem enough so somehow $36 million became his redeeming number......

Why do I have this feeling that all his 18 years in prison did was to prolong the inevitable.....:doh: ? Even if he didn't kill Theresa, it may have been one of his brothers, but I would bet dollars to donuts the murder was an end result of some type of money/property dispute that was going on in that family.

I am sure Steve learned every mean dirty trick to use on people inside those 4 prison walls. How ironic that Steve had so many good people working with him portraying him as a man severely wronged by the justice system. I have huge reservations in claiming he was so "innocent". This is the same man that took a gun and threatened a defenceless woman. So what if he let her go....imagine the trauma that poor woman must of felt pleading with Steve to let her go because of her little baby being left to suffer alone in the car in the elements.....such is the makings of a horror movie and potential PTS syndrome for years to come for this poor lady!!!

P.S. I wonder why Steve had all those spent 22 calib shells inside his garage....was he target practicing? Maybe he was shooting his salvage yard cats for sport....sorry, but this guy makes me sick :sick:

Thanks for the Welcome :eek:

I have learned one thing already... always bookmark your links... you may need them latter for a post... :blushing:

The last I read... he was staying with his father. I think that is just for the last few days though. He did not get married as scheduled. I did read an article that said his fiance was in jail right now. I can't recall the reason.

Yaya said:
Thanks for the Welcome :eek:

I have learned one thing already... always bookmark your links... you may need them latter for a post... :blushing:

The last I read... he was staying with his father. I think that is just for the last few days though. He did not get married as scheduled. I did read an article that said his fiance was in jail right now. I can't recall the reason.
Ahhh, what fine upstanding citizens.....NOT!!:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member