WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
lostfaith said:
Here is a article with a little info. I had not heard.

He set a cat on fire. :(

I had read the reason he pulled that sherrifs wife over, but I cant for the life of me remember now.

Alot of people do dumb things when they are young. I hope I am not wrong about him.

He set a cat on fire!!!! Not excusing him but that is so a guy thing at that age. I know guys who did horrible things to cats when they were young and they thought it was so darn funny. I'm a cat lover from way back so you can guess how that went over with me. Creeps!

The article I read said that he said that the woman had accused him severl times of standing in his front yard naked. He was mad at her. He was forcing her into his car with a gun when she told him that she had a baby with her and that it would freeze to death if she left it. He looked...saw the baby..and let her leave. I think I have that right.

I still wonder about drugs back then. He hasn't really been in any trouble since he got out of prison.

lostfaith said:
It sounded to me like a group of her friends and family asked the Avery's if they could search on thier property and then they found her car. I read that somewhere, I will try to find the link. If that is true, it doesnt sound like someone called it in. Did you read somewhere else that LE had gotten a call?

If he did this, there are gonna be alot of people very angry with him. Alot of people really did alot of work to get him out of prison.

another article....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...mily of Halbach who were searching the area."

Bobbisangel said:
Here is what I've found so far. I swear I heard or read that the cops got a phone call...maybe I'm wrong :blushing:

We had information that the car was on this property. We got a search warrant and did in fact find the car," said Calumet County Dist. Atty. Kenneth Kratz during a press conference Saturday night at the Mishicot Fire Department.

I'm curious now if I'm seeing or hearing things. I'll keep looking for a bit.

Maybe LE got a call from the family/friends who were looking on the Avery property and found the car, then called LE. That would make sense, and then we would both be right! :D

"On the news tonight the sheriff said that Steve hasn't been into any trouble since he was released from prison...except for a minor thing or two but he said they were no big deals/deal. Remember, he got into trouble way back in 1985. That is a long time ago. He could have been using drugs or alcohol back then and did some stupid things."

He was arrested in February of this year for disorderly conduct and pled guilty...

missing person to "concern for her safety"....one reporter asked if some of the testing involved DNA and the answer was yes...

I didn't hear about big equipment digging?

Another press conference will be live around 3 today....

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The fact that an army of citizens continues to search for Teresa Halbach is a tribute to how many lives she has touched, friends and well-wishers say. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach lives in rural Calumet County, but she graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and has a photography business, Photography by Teresa, at 1599 Western Ave. in Green Bay. Her friends from both counties have joined the search across northern Manitowoc County.

Many of the searchers went to college with Halbach; some had worked with her at the university newspaper. Some had worked with her at area photography studios and many had hired her to photograph their weddings or do portraits of their families.

“She’ll shoot their wedding — that’s how people meet her, and that’s how people end up falling in love with her,” said Aubrey Wygralak of Pulaski, who has participated in the search this week. “She’s just such a close friend to so many people.”

Wygralak last saw her at a Halloween party Oct. 21, which Halbach attended dressed as a cowgirl, and she planned to see her Saturday when the two were to throw a surprise party for two friends in Green Bay.
Instead, Wygralak spent the day helping friends search for some sign of Halbach.

Halbach graduated with highest honors from UWGB in 2002 with a degree in communication processes. During her senior year, her photography work was exhibited at the Lawton Gallery, which, according to university spokesman Scott Hildebrand, is the mark of exceptional student talent.

More: http://www.wisinfo.com/heraldtimes/news/archive/local_23315707.shtml

[/font]

In todays paper:

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051109/APC0101/511090391/1003

Posted November 9, 2005

Halbach case takes criminal turn

Investigators examining abduction, homicide angles

By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer

MISHICOT — Investigators sought evidence of abduction, sexual assault and homicide in the Teresa Halbach disappearance when they requested a court order to seize Steven Avery's car and a tow truck owned by his brothers.

Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said the investigation surrounding Halbach's Oct. 31 disappearance has moved from a missing-person case to a criminal investigation.

According to Calumet County Circuit Court documents reviewed Tuesday in Chilton by The Post-Crescent, the first of nearly 20 search warrants was returned after officers seized Avery's 1993 Pontiac and a red 2005 tow truck registered to Charles and Earl Avery, Steven's brothers.

Charles and Earl Avery operate the northern Manitowoc County salvage yard where the search for Halbach, a 25-year-old rural Calumet County woman, is centered.

Steven Avery, 43, served 18 years in prison on a sexual assault charge. He was released in 2003 after DNA evidence exonerated him.

The Halbach case's status changed after the state Crime Lab analyzed evidence found by investigators after the missing woman's vehicle was discovered Saturday.

The search warrant request said investigators sought Halbach, clothing she was wearing when she disappeared, and other property she owned, such as photography equipment and electronic storage devices.

The warrant also sought forensic evidence "including, but not limited to, fiber evidence, blood, hair, saliva, semen and fingerprints."

Also, the warrant request said police sought "instrumentalities capable of taking a human life including, but not limited to, weapons, firearms, cutting instruments, ropes and ligatures."

That warrant was issued by Calumet County Circuit Judge Donald Poppy at 12:15 p.m. Saturday, about two hours after Halbach's sport utility vehicle was found in the Averys' salvage yard.

Calumet County Dist. Atty. Kenneth Kratz, the special prosecutor in the Manitowoc County case, told The P-C Tuesday night the search warrants were issued on the assumptions of early evidence.

"The search warrant requires us to choose from a plethora of criminal choices, and the circumstances surrounding this include a homicide, kidnapping and sexual assault," Kratz said. "The circumstances surrounding the missing person suggested one or more of those crimes."

Teresa Halbach's brother Mike Halbach told The P-C Tuesday night that his family hadn't been told about specific searches and types of crimes law enforcement officers suspect, but said it doesn't come as a surprise.

"We didn't really want to hear that," he said. "Was it one of a number of possibilities that we ran through our mind? Sure.

"The family wants to find Teresa whether she is alive or not. We hope she is alive, but we want to find her either way."

Steven Avery told The P-C Tuesday that he wasn't involved in Halbach's disappearance and suspects he is being framed.

"It was planted," he said of searchers finding her vehicle in the Avery salvage yard. "A cop drove her vehicle into back of the junkyard.

"I'm going to call the FBI. I want them to investigate."

More at link

Bobbisangel said:
He set a cat on fire!!!! Not excusing him but that is so a guy thing at that age.

I really don't think setting a cat on fire is a guy thing at any age...

I am not sure what to think of him, but something doesn't sit well with me... And his continual accusations that LE has planted the evidence makes him look even more guilty, IMO.

lisag said:
I really don't think setting a cat on fire is a guy thing at any age...

I am not sure what to think of him, but something doesn't sit well with me... And his continual accusations that LE has planted the evidence makes him look even more guilty, IMO.

I agree that setting a cat on fire is not a good thing at all, and most boys/guys do not do that kind of thing.. but that does not necessarily mean he commited murder. I admit many murderers start with animals, but it is not proof he did it.

If I had did 18 years for something I did not do, you bet your potootie I would be extremely leary of LE!

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051109/APC0101/511090412/1003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Posted November 9, 2005 [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Halbach case 'haunts' Depies' mother [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Police still investigating woman's 1992 disappearance [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By Michael King
Post-Crescent staff writer
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mary Wegner may be one of the few people who can really comprehend the emotional agony and heart-wrenching plight of Teresa Halbach's family. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's really haunting," said the Winneconne woman who has endured her own missing persons nightmare for more than 13 years. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On Aug. 19, 1992, her 21-year-old daughter, Laurie Depies, vanished from a Town of Menasha parking lot and has not been seen since. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Since it (Teresa Halbach's disappearance) was first announced last week, it struck a very personal chord," Wegner said Tuesday. "I just hurt for the family. I feel badly that somebody else is in that position again." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depies, who would be 34 today, remains classified as a missing person. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Town of Menasha police Lt. Michael Krueger and Kim Skorlinski, a special agent with the Wisconsin Justice Department Division of Criminal Investigation, remain on the case. Their leading theory is that Depies was abducted by someone she knew and may have gone willingly with before something bad transpired. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Leads are coming in monthly but we just don't have anything concrete yet to go on," said Skorlinski, who declined to talk about the Halbach case. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While they continue to have "several suspects" under suspicion in the Depies case, Skorlinski said, "they're going to remain suspects until we come up with a way to eliminate them." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's still active," said Krueger. "Agent Skorlinski and I are still following up on information that comes in regularly." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Halbach case "piques my interest because it's a missing person," Krueger said. "I look at her and see some similarities (with Depies) in facial features and in age. But that's it without knowing more about the (Halbach) case." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wegner said Krueger calls her "about once a year to let me know they're still working on the case and getting various calls and information they follow up on." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She last talked to him in August. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She still is perplexed at the lack of clues in her daughter's disappearance. "Not a thing," she said. "I don't have any idea of what happened." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She urged the Halbach family "just to keep a positive attitude" and continue "trying to be optimistic and hopeful. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"My heart goes out to them and I hope they get a positive answer and that she's found safe and sound." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meanwhile, the uncertainty of what transpired with Laurie makes it impossible to move on, Wegner said, "because there's no end, there's no funeral. It's just a constant open wound." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Still, she does the only thing she can after all these years. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You just keep going. There's always that nagging thought of what happened, nagging questions." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Michael King can be reached at 920-729-6622, ext. 33, or by e-mail at mking@postcrescent.com. [/font][/font]

I wanted to volunteer to help with the search.

Just sounded to me like the search is over... they thanked me and said they didn't NEED ANY searchers at this time.

What would you make of that?

He keeps hollowring about LE setting him up, but LE was not responsible for putting him away. Thw woman that was assaulted ID'd him and a jury of his peers conviced him based on the evidenc they were presented. It is tragic that he was wrongly conviced and was in prison for so long, but by all accounts he wasn't Mother Teresa before he went to jail. Standing naked in someone's yard and attempting to force someone into your car at gun point are seriously messed up actions. and if he did something to Theresa, he mught get off because he can scream LE is setting him up. Seems like he thinks he might have a Get Out Of Jail Free card. I;'m not convinced he didn't have something to do with her dissapearance or knows who might have done it. IMO

1000Sparks said:
I wanted to volunteer to help with the search.

Just sounded to me like the search is over... they thanked me and said they didn't NEED ANY searchers at this time.

What would you make of that?

Either they have exhausted the search area.... or they have found her...

I don't think they actually found her yet, but maybe they have more information ...

Cal County told you that they would have a suspect in the next 48 hours or you heard that on the news ?? I haven't seen anything.

Sounds like this is turning out to be quite the family affair! There's no way I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt to someone that set a cat on fire as well as the other offences that were reported against this guy. In my lifetime guys known to have committed these types of crimes go on to do worse and are psychopaths, but hey that's just my reality.

Maybe the 18 years behind bars wasn't all for nothing but in the end just prolonged the inevitable. Either way not likely he came out of prison a better man, usually it's just the opposite. If they weren't criminal before they go in they are by the time they leave, in this case I think he was already dangerous. LE has an entire family of very likely suspects imo. I'm afraid I don't have any hope she's going to be found alive but I do believe she will be found soon.

I agree.

Standing in your front yard naked (for all to see), setting cats on fire, and forcing women by gunpoint into a car - does not convince me me that this guy has makings of a "kind gentle" soul......IMO

joanofarc said:
I agree.

Standing in your front yard naked (for all to see), setting cats on fire, and forcing women by gunpoint into a car - does not convince me me that this guy has makings of a "kind gentle" soul......IMO

Ditto !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member