WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
joanofarc said:
His brothers weren't in prison though.....seems like they might be all "one of a kind"..........

WTH is up with Theresa's car keys in Steve's bedroom....if that isn't an obvious (too obvious) key bit of evidence....I don't know what else is....it screams of "set-up".....but the question is by whom????

From what has been said Steve wasn't living on the property. I wonder how long he had been living elsewhere. When he got kicked out did he take his belongings with him or did he leave everything there. We know that he was working the day that Teresa went there to take pictures of the vehicle that he was selling. So did him and the family have a fight after that day or what?

If Steve did this then it looks like he wanted to get caught. No one is so stupid as to leave Teresa's car keys in their bedroom, evidence in his bedroom, guns laying around with spent shells, etc. He either did it and wanted to get caught and go back to prison where he had a place to live or someone wants the finger pointed in his direction. DNA should tell the tale.
This is just a horrible thing to have happen to this young girl. She must have been brutally beaten all over the place. What a nightmare her family will have to live with for the rest of their lives. It's horrible to even think about.

I think that either he did want to get caught (we all know some criminals prefer prison life to dealing with "real" life) or, if that's not it, then........

maybe what it is is that he became so over-confident that he would never be looked at again for any crime that he actually believed he didn't need to hide or get rid of the key to her car or really make much of an attempt to cover his tracks at all! He might even have felt that if he got caught, someone would surely cry foul and be working like crazy to set him free.

Bobbisangel said:
From what has been said Steve wasn't living on the property. I wonder how long he had been living elsewhere. When he got kicked out did he take his belongings with him or did he leave everything there. We know that he was working the day that Teresa went there to take pictures of the vehicle that he was selling. So did him and the family have a fight after that day or what?

If Steve did this then it looks like he wanted to get caught. No one is so stupid as to leave Teresa's car keys in their bedroom, evidence in his bedroom, guns laying around with spent shells, etc. He either did it and wanted to get caught and go back to prison where he had a place to live or someone wants the finger pointed in his direction. DNA should tell the tale.
This is just a horrible thing to have happen to this young girl. She must have been brutally beaten all over the place. What a nightmare her family will have to live with for the rest of their lives. It's horrible to even think about.
1. Reports indicate Steven was renting a trailer near the salvage yard:
http://www.aninchfrommurder.com/blog/archives/2005/11/attorney_office.php
2. Do you have a link re his getting kicked out of family's home?
3. I'm wondering if perp(s) were drunk and that's why the crime scene(s) were so sloppy...stupid, as in stupid drunk.
4. Given family's legal histories, might be possible at least a few of them were involved.
(All IMHO, purely speculation.)

hoppyfrog said:
In the past Earl Avery was charged with 3rd degree sexual assault against a child and pled guilty to a lesser charge, and in the past Chuck Avery was charged with 3rd degree sexual assault including the use of force and pled no contest.

Hoppy
Thanks for the corrections, lessabeth. I was repeating what NBC 26 said, which goes to show how reliable the media can sometimes be!

Hoppy

MISHICOT, Wisconsin (AP) -- Investigators searching for a missing woman found burned human remains at a salvage yard owned by the family of a man who spent 18 years in prison for a rape he did not commit.

Sheriff Jerry Pagel said authorities were working Thursday to identify the pieces of bone and teeth. Relatives of the missing woman, freelance photographer Teresa Halbach, found her sport utility vehicle at the salvage yard on Saturday.

"It appears that an attempt was made to dispose of a body by an incendiary means. However, that attempt was not completely successful," Pagel said.

Pagel also said investigators found the key to Halbach's SUV in the bedroom of Steven Avery, whose family owns the yard. Avery was freed from prison in 2003 after DNA evidence cleared him of a rape conviction.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/09/missing.woman.ap/index.html

Researcher said:
1. Reports indicate Steven was renting a trailer near the salvage yard:
http://www.aninchfrommurder.com/blog/archives/2005/11/attorney_office.php
2. Do you have a link re his getting kicked out of family's home?
3. I'm wondering if perp(s) were drunk and that's why the crime scene(s) were so sloppy...stupid, as in stupid drunk.
4. Given family's legal histories, might be possible at least a few of them were involved.
(All IMHO, purely speculation.)
Here's the link... it happened a while back.
http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2004/04/29/news/news3.txt

After reading about the Avery Brothers court history, it just makes me more firm in my belief that the focus on Steven is the right way to go. The majority of child predators would not be interested in a woman. I think they were in too much termoil as brothers to be sharing a woman for sex or any other kind of thrill. I think the Avery Brothers resented Steven and all the attention he was getting.

Whoever did this to this young woman is clearly a sexual predator and was inhuman enough to try and burn her remains to get rid of the body. I have yet to see a sexual predator with anything close to normal feelings and logical reasoning. As highly organized as Ted Bundy was he became very sloppy as he unraveled, escalated in his sickness etc. Burn a cat many years ago now a woman. I think the police had a very good concept of what kind of criminal they were dealing with many years ago so I don't blame them at all for believing they had the right man. Now I seriously wonder about this piece of hair that exonerated him and think it should be reinvestigated, I'd really like to see pics of him vs. the other guy in prison from when the crime happened. It's a whole different ball game to tell the victim 18 years later she id'd the wrong man, there's no way she can be sure now.

strach304 said:
Whoever did this to this young woman is clearly a sexual predator and was inhuman enough to try and burn her remains to get rid of the body. I have yet to see a sexual predator with anything close to normal feelings and logical reasoning. As highly organized as Ted Bundy was he became very sloppy as he unraveled, escalated in his sickness etc. Burn a cat many years ago now a woman. I think the police had a very good concept of what kind of criminal they were dealing with many years ago so I don't blame them at all for believing they had the right man. Now I seriously wonder about this piece of hair that exonerated him and think it should be reinvestigated, I'd really like to see pics of him vs. the other guy in prison from when the crime happened. It's a whole different ball game to tell the victim 18 years later she id'd the wrong man, there's no way she can be sure now.

They did have a picture of the guy on the news... Honestly, I did not think they looked very much alike... Some similiarities yes, but not much...

SA will be charged on Mon w/1st degree murder.

Hoppy, watching the news conference

SA's blood was found in Teresa Halbach's vehicle. Also his DNA was found on Teresa's car key found in his bedroom.

lisag said:
They did have a picture of the guy on the news... Honestly, I did not think they looked very much alike... Some similiarities yes, but not much...
Thanks, I haven't seen a pic so your opinion imo is important. It's gotta be hell on that woman 18 years later she's convinced was wrong and wouldn't know one way or the other by now. From CSI a famous quote comes to mind; physical evidence doesn't lie, there's no prejudice or emotion. However it's possible the evidence was manipulated, an entire exoneration from one piece of hair? I'd be more convinced if we were looking at semen or blood rather than hair. What if these two knew each other or had come in contact somehow back then and was the victim ever unconscious at any point from the attack? Possibly another sexual offender happened on the victim after the original attack?

When TH's car was found, it was transported in a sealed container and not searched until it reached the state crime lab in Madison WI. LE says it did NOT search the vehicle. The state crime lab did. Special prosecuter said no evidence was planted.

Hoppy

hoppyfrog said:
SA will be charged on Mon w/1st degree murder.

whew, your post's title confused me for a second ... I thought Steve HALBACH?? Threw me for a loop.

:( That's terrible that Avery did this. Teresa was in the wrong place at the wrong time, poor girl. He should've never been let out. She should be alive today.

:behindbar hope he gets what he deserves for this.

hoppyfrog said:
SA's blood was found in Teresa Halbach's vehicle. Also his DNA was found on Teresa's car key found in his bedroom.

I hope the innocense project gets turned inside out over this along with their evidence that got this monster exonerated. I don't believe for one minute he wasn't involved in the rape he was convicted of. The police knew it too!

Sheriff says there was an attempt to destroy TH's personal property/items.

Sheriff says they searched EVERY vehicle on the Avery junkyard property. No stone went unturned.

Hoppy, watching the press conference

PrayersForMaura said:
whew, your post's title confused me for a second ... I thought Steve HALBACH?? Threw me for a loop.

:( That's terrible that Avery did this. Teresa was in the wrong place at the wrong time, poor girl. He should've never been let out. She should be alive today.

:behindbar hope he gets what he deserves for this.
My apologies. Trying to listen and type at the same time...and hurriedly!

Edited the post.

Hoppy

LE doesn't yet know how TH died.

LE doesn't know if other family members are involved and are not commenting further.

LE "pretty certain" TH's life was taken on the afternoon of 10/31.

Hoppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member